The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Windy outside with gale force gusts possible according to the forecast for today. Probably nothing compared with what we had on the North Sea coast last year! I'll be staying at home today as well to be able to get rid of the rest of this bug, hopefully. Next shift would be on Tuesday in any case.

I do have nights when I just cannot seem to set my mind to sleep mode and I fully concur that it feels like torture when that happens. Thankfully, it's not too frequent.

Jock, good to hear your new meds do appear to offer the relief you were hoping for!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dark here, it doesn't sound too windy though.

Off to Enfield for lunch, not a lot else planned for the rest of the day. We will need to move the old bed downstairs. The local council will collect it on Monday but will only collect from outside so we will put it in the hallway and then outside on Sunday evening.

Tony

Good morning one and all

Apart from the laundry I have nothing special planned for today.  The weather sounds like it will not be very nice going outside and there is no compelling need to do so.  Tomorrow, on the other hand, I plan to attend the Southampton show.  An early start should see the motorway network at its least worst.  The return journey is via Weybridge where lives a friend that I have not seen for far too long.

On the way home from the fodder run yesterday I was crossing my street when I heard a honk.  It came from a car turning right driven by a female and was completely unnecessary.  I looked daggers at her.  A couple of minutes later I was watching her trying to park her not terribly large vehicle in a space that would have accommodated two if she had done it properly.  Someone who is more of a gentleman than I will ever be was trying to guide her into the space.   I would have given up in disgust.  This pantomime followed an interesting bus journey back from the supermarket, featuring two women with pushchairs and contents, both animate and inanimate, and a young man with a large suitcase.  Trying to marshal that lot into the spaces already occupied by seated passengers must have taken five minutes, during which the doors were open and the temperature dropped.  This, dear bus company, is what happens when you cut frequencies - overcrowding and ruined punctuality.   No, I don't fancy being area manager.

Best wishes to all the ailing

Chris

Of course, it's not possible to read back but my first port of call was Jock's post.

It seems there is some progress there and I'm very pleased.

Best wishes to others travelling through troubled times.

Things settling a bit here so hope to be more frequent in attendance.

'king rain and gales seems to have been going for several years here.

Playing the guitar Top Tip:

Learn to finger pick the first nine notes of Fur Elise.

You can play these notes with limitless expression and to the amazement of any audience who can only strum chords.

Fast is good once you have the hang of it.

The trick is the escape plan.

Modestly put the instrument aside and blame sore fingers, not in the mood, the instrument needs tuning, etc.,.

Refuse any repeat perfomances.

• Like 13

Mornin' all,

Still in a run of mild but dismal conditions in The Moorlands. This view is from an Onecote circuit constitutional yesterday afternoon....

post-7795-0-61242200-1454139900.jpg

An active week for Is with outings each day.....radiotherapy starts next week.

Best regards to all that ail

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village. It is getting bright outside and appears to be dry so hopefully it will stay that way.

Good to hear from Jock and I do hope that your comfort levels continue to rise.

Good to see DD back

Various things on the agenda today including moving a chair but not a lot else.

Hope that everyone keeps well.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 10

White here this morning, just a covering. Another windy night - expecting it to be calm tomorrow. A storm is forecast for Monday.

Mike (Stationmaster) - in bemusement I once counted the number of different olive oils that a smallish Waitrose carried - around 50! I'm just grumpy about people who stop at the top or bottom of escalators for a chat.

Good to see that Jock's pain is easing a little; hope it continues throughout the weekend.

Glad to note that over half a million have travelled on the 'new' Waverley/Borders line since it opened in September, most on 2-coach 158s. An extension to Hawick now seems more likely, possibly Carlisle.

Good wishes to all

Mal

• Like 18

Showered, fed and watered (a couple of beers) and now absolutely knackered.

Night all

Yes, showering can take a lot out of you!!!!!!!!!

Good morning one and all

Apart from the laundry I have nothing special planned for today.  The weather sounds like it will not be very nice going outside and there is no compelling need to do so.  Tomorrow, on the other hand, I plan to attend the Southampton show.  An early start should see the motorway network at its least worst.  The return journey is via Weybridge where lives a friend that I have not seen for far too long.

Chris:  if you're down this way, why not make a relatively slight detour to your long journey via Barnham or Ford? PM me for details of where in each case! Time limit: Ford only applicable from 10:30 until 15:30!

As always, thoughts are with the ailing.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Playing the guitar Top Tip:

Learn to finger pick the first nine notes of Fur Elise.

You can play these notes with limitless expression and to the amazement of any audience who can only strum chords.

Fast is good once you have the hang of it.

The trick is the escape plan.

Modestly put the instrument aside and blame sore fingers, not in the mood, the instrument needs tuning, etc.,.

Refuse any repeat perfomances.

I used the theme from Tales of the Riverbank for that trick.

Good to see you and your weather back.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Weather not to bad here today but according to the forecast stormy weather is on its way. On the subject of elderly drivers when I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch 30+ years ago there were a lot of elderly drivers who had never taken a test having taken up driving before the driving test was introduced. These drivers often came before the magistrates for minor driving offences and the magistrates usual way of dealing with them was to ban them until they had passed the test, which few if any were able to do, the majority just gave up driving. One elderly gentleman of my acquaintance was ordered by his doctor to stop driving because of Alzheimers, however he could still be seen driving around the town having forgotten his doctors instructions :O . Hope we hear from Pete soon, its almost a week now.

• Like 12

Stopping to chat after stepping off the escalator is akin to getting outside a shop and chatting right outside the door.

I personally like to free slalom down the high street. People stood in the middle of the pavement chatting, dogs on extendable leads, skateboarders, a-boards for shops, tables at cafes it all makes a fun walk.

Nice and sunny here today. Long may it last.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to see you back DD.

Mal I read something long ago that explained that the people who stop in front of everybody at the top or bottom of escalators are actually the cleverly disguised first wave of a Martian invasion force plotting to take over London by bringing it to a standstill and preventing travel on the tube  (on the other hand they could just be tourists?).  However in the interests of not being rude to genuine visitors to London whenever I came across such behaviour I simply made my way firmly past them muttering 'bl**dy Martians' sotto voce.  Sometimes this expression (or was it my 'firm' way of getting past them?) actually encouraged them to move - presumably because they realised their plot had been rumbled by someone.

Oddly at the new Reading station with it massed ranks of escalators there appear to be no attempts at Martian invasion - and I can, to be blunt, quite understand why they'd think more than twice about trying to take over Reading, especially since Eames closed down.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 1

Oh carp! ER for me (3:45 am here). Could not get to sleep due to code in my node. Coughing and spluttering all night, so I gave it up as a bad job.

It's a minor inconvenience compared with the travails of many others on ER.

As Red Green would say, "Keep your stick on the ice!"

Morning all,

Good to see you back DD.

Mal I read something long ago that explained that the people who stop in front of everybody at the top or bottom of escalators are actually the cleverly disguised first wave of a Martian invasion force plotting to take over London by bringing it to a standstill and preventing travel on the tube  (on the other hand they could just be tourists?).  However in the interests of not being rude to genuine visitors to London whenever I came across such behaviour I simply made my way firmly past them muttering 'bl**dy Martians' sotto voce.  Sometimes this expression (or was it my 'firm' way of getting past them?) actually encouraged them to move - presumably because they realised their plot had been rumbled by someone.

Oddly at the new Reading station with it massed ranks of escalators there appear to be no attempts at Martian invasion - and I can, to be blunt, quite understand why they'd think more than twice about trying to take over Reading, especially since Eames closed down.

Have a good day one & all

When we lived in Paisley, a neighbor took his wife on a jaunt to London. They did not realize until they tried to take the tube that she was totally incapable of getting on to an escalator. She completely froze, and no amount of coaxing and cajoling would persuade her to set foot on one of the things. Other than that, she was perfectly normal.

Not sure what an irrational fear of escalators is called. Anyone?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

In my laid-up state I happened to catch a bit of the original "Spartans" movie, a line from which made my day:

"Thespians, advance!"

And by jingo they did!

My only question is this, how many re-takes did it take?

After all, I bet the first dozen takes every actor started off at the double mince!! 

Mick, I'd not heard of a Barnsley chops before; sounds like one to try. 

Jock, keep on at it. A bit of progress each day will get you there, I'm sure. 

Supermarkets?

TBH, the standard of customer has improved at Aldi since the influx of supposedly posher customers learnt some manners.

No, the checkout assistant isn't there to unload your basket before he / she scans it. You have to do that yourself.

No, the basket has to be stacked, not left on the floor for the next customer to trip over / tidy for you.

Yes, passing pleasantries with the staff is permitted. Surprisingly they are people, too.

Simples, really.    

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, feeling a bit brighter today so I will be driving Karen off on a shopping trip shortly. My track shack order hasn't turned up yet but that may be due to the abandonment of Saturday deliveries in this parish. Happy for Jock and hope others who ail get better soon.

Post turned up 5 minutes ago Mrs B's present arrived.

Edited by skipepsi
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Glad to note that over half a million have travelled on the 'new' Waverley/Borders line since it opened in September, most on 2-coach 158s. An extension to Hawick now seems more likely, possibly Carlisle. 

How will they manage Melrose?

It would have made sense to take the current new line that little bit further to there if it had been at all feasible.

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny....yeay....  :sungum:

Appetite back but still feeling washed out.  Occupied myself working on my virtual tr**n set.  To think I used to get paid for drawing diagrams on a computer.... at least it's come in handy.

Must do some catching up on here so look forward to seeing what you've all been up to.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

When we lived in Paisley, a neighbor took his wife on a jaunt to London. They did not realize until they tried to take the tube that she was totally incapable of getting on to an escalator. She completely froze, and no amount of coaxing and cajoling would persuade her to set foot on one of the things. Other than that, she was perfectly normal.

Not sure what an irrational fear of escalators is called. Anyone?

Having seen some of the behaviour on the escalators the fear may not be so irrational. Actually I find it puzzling all the tourists get around London by the tube. If they went by bus instead you can see a lot of sights.

I took one of my staff to a meeting at Cannon St. Alighting at Paddington he expected to go by tube. I said we go by bus no changing tube which means miles of walking through tunnels. Instead he had a first class view of some of the well known parts of central London. Memory seems to think it was a no 12 but either the route or my memory has changed.

Don

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Fear of escalators is apparently escalaphobia.

Whoever named it wasn't trying hard enough, in my opinion.

Diagaslideyvelociphobia.    :scared:

A related condition, seen at airports is: walkiefasterparalleltohorizontimoveyslidemania. Generally seen in people who want you to know that after a 12-hour flight they can't spare a moment to walk on a confined people mover and have to nudge past those content to stand still on the contraption. No! They must rush immediately to the baggage hall to wait longer than others for their luggage. They then suffer from: whatthehelltakestheseairportmonkeyssolongtomovemygoddambagfromafrigginplanetohereangst. This is exacerbated when...

... the person who was happy to dawdle on the people mover,  use the loo, change some currency, phone a friend, then mozzies on over to the luggage carousel and picks up the first bag that come up the ramp.  :locomotive:

• Like 9

Fear of escalators is apparently escalaphobia.

Whoever named it wasn't trying hard enough, in my opinion.

If it is frequently recurring, does that escalate the phobia?

(refer signature!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2