The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I'm so glad I don't have to do the test now, the theory test wouldn't worry me

When I took my test, and probably many of us are the same, the theory test involved the examiner asking about three questions on the Highway Code, to state the stopping distance at some speed between 20 and 70 mph, to explain how to correct a skid, and then they flashed about three pictures of road signs up to you to say what they represented.

• RMweb Gold

I think my driving test examiner was relieved to get to that bit of the test. He was new to Southend and I managed to misunderstand an instruction and got him lost. I wondered why the test took so long!

I've just installed Office 10 on Matthew's new laptop and it is asking me (in English) if I want Windows 7 in Welsh? I think I'd better decline the offer. When I was small child we lived in Somerset and the ITV programmes came from TWW and I suppose if I'd paid more attention I'd know what Ganolfan and Panel Rheoli mean.

I'm editing this from the new laptop so it looks as if it works!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Sky appears to be mostly clear with a wall of clouds on the horizon...and I just read the forecast's predicting mostly good weather till about Tuesday :) . I may have to play computer doctor today as my mum's PC will no longer boot after an automatic update had been installed and apparently trashed the MBR somehow :mellow: .

Aren't computers fun? :lol:

Have a nice day, guys...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Aren't family weddings fun. If nothing else they act as a reminder of who isn't speaking to who, even if nobody can remember why.

The groom was Australian so somehow the word ashes appeared frequently in speeches. Someone even ran a sweep on the length of the best man's speech. I suspect spot betting too.

I think I may chase a duchess today.

Morning All,

Another rather gloomy morning here - but I have just had the most fantastic breakfast. I am a guest of the British Army this weekend, so was able to have a full English breakfast, toast, marmalade(!) orange juice and coffee!

Now I have to go and do some work!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Another rather gloomy morning here - but I have just had the most fantastic breakfast. I am a guest of the British Army this weekend, so was able to have a full English breakfast, toast, marmalade(!) orange juice and coffee!

You've probably just eaten next year's defence budget!

Morning all.

I'm off to a model railway exhibition in Shenfield some time later this morning.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Sounds like you must have had the officers' mess menu - my SiL, who is a sergeant in the army and is training to be an Apache helicopter pilot doesn't get anything like that in his mess.He likes his food and is not impressed with what the army has to offer these days, indeed my daughter sends him off with a case full of extras to see him through the week (he's away Mon -> Fri).

Nice day here - football and rugby on the tv, said daughter and SiL visiting, lasagne to be made and eaten, red wine to be drunk - it doesn't get much better to be honest.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like you must have had the officers' mess menu - my SiL, who is a sergeant in the army and is training to be an Apache helicopter pilot doesn't get anything like that in his mess.He likes his food and is not impressed with what the army has to offer these days, indeed my daughter sends him off with a case full of extras to see him through the week (he's away Mon -> Fri).

My father told me that when he was in the army he and a couple of other tank crews were lent to the US Army for a while and when they went to collect a weeks rations were given a truck full as opposed to something they could carry.

• RMweb Premium

we lived in Somerset and the ITV programmes came from TWW and I suppose if I'd paid more attention I'd know what Ganolfan and Panel Rheoli mean.

Ah, the dreaded Wenvoe triangle - I think there's still a lot of this about near the Welsh borders following the digital switch, and English viewers are getting the digital versions of BBC Wales, and S4C instead of their more usual fare.

Weather not sure about itself this morning but it has been cold enough to have the central heating on last night and this morning.

I'm late on parade here as I actually seem to be going to the layout updates first more and more now - has to be good news for my probable new layout. Not a lot to say here, but I've started to put my rantings into the Grumpies, old, middle aged and young column.

To those exhibiting today, good luck and may glitch free operation be yours.

To those attending exhibitions, have a good time, and may you avoid the backpacks and the more smelly of our compatriots, and hopefully the sausage rolls will be of decent quality.

To those working on layouts, may it go well. Probably most of the rest of us (except the sickies) are stuck with the shopping.

Oh snd finally to those who are heading off to uni or are taking their offspring, may it go well, and the transition be smooth, and the beer cheap and plentiful - but NOT to the exclusion of the studies. :excl: :drink_mini: :excl:

Hi, good morning! Today in the NY area it is expected to be 75f/Sunny i.e. nice!

I notice that the BBC is reporting two tornadoes during the storms the other day. Well, two funnel clouds may have been sighted (it is not a tornado until it touches down) I'm still convinced that the problems were caused by microbursts. The BBC mentions them once only during it's website report.

That's reading between the interminable pop up ads we suffer on their website. The BBC seem to have discovered how to get around any pop up blocker........

Have a nice day, y'all.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Reading that at least made me smile D Day is now Sunday for registration at university and filling her room with an excess of things.

Forgot to add next job is cleaning the litter tray Oh Joy.

Edited by skipepsi

• RMweb Premium

Have just had two brief encounters with the Duchess. No problems with the Duke.

I am trying to get ahead of her again.

Lucky you - if she's on time, she's almost at Hexham where there appears to be an 8 minute pathing stop - drive fast BoD, drive fast but safe.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not driving but on the train service ahead of her. Hexham is my destination. It has the added bonus of a model shop on the platform.

Lots of photographers on every station. I do give them a royal wave but they just ignore me.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for letting me know Tony. Mrs S is quite excited already. Is it a hairless or Powderpuff (with hair)?........

Only appears to have hair on the top of the head. I did show the magazine cover to Robbie but he doesn't seem to respond to the picture. He isn't likely to get on the cover of a magazine unless it is Scruffy Gun Dog Monthly.

Tony

PS Gordon, the board said you can't receive any more pm's. I don't know if that is a temporary board thing or something to do with your account?

You've probably just eaten next year's defence budget!

He he he! I do hope not. Lunch was fish and chips or chicken pie. I am quite sorry that I had to leave before the evening meal!

I was fortunate enough to be at a meeting at Church House in Lübbecke - the Army's last Church House. It was a fantastic opportunity to visit a wonderful location and the hospitality was truly exceptional.