The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A few pictures from our overnight stay in Linton in Craven

path from our rooms in a converted barn to breakfast

attachicon.giffountaine pic 7 (1280x960).jpg

the old Hospital/Alms Houses next door

attachicon.giffountaine pic 6 (1280x960).jpg

a view of the bridge across the beck

attachicon.giffountaine pic 5 (1280x960).jpg

a view upstream

attachicon.giffountaine pic 4 (960x1280).jpg

and downstream

attachicon.giffountaine pic 2 (960x1280).jpg

and the pub from the bridge

attachicon.giffountaine pic 3 (960x1280).jpg

baz

NB made sure we ate some healthy black pudding with breakfast...

Has tha bin fer a paddle yet Baz? Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to put yourself in the position of those taking chemo - poisoning yourself basically, to kill off the rogue cells.  Stick at it, guys and gal, here's hoping the side effects are manageable.

What you said, Neil. It is worrying how many ERs are indeed affected, either themselves or through their other halves…  :mellow:

• RMweb Premium

A question, guys: Have a look at this video…

That's the kind of setting I'd have in mind for a possible Japanese themed layout set in the Tokyo area, especially with a view to the stretch just ahead of Haijima Station roughly between 8:00 and 12:00 minutes into the video. Given it would be pretty much impossible to build a completely exact representation of this area, I'd have to take some liberty as to route alignment, of course, but the idea of a smaller suburban commuter line like the Hachikō Line touching and straddling a major line – the Chūō Line in this example – seemed quite appealing to me. It would also allow me, in my imagination, to run mainline freight, as well as a handful of trip freight workings coming off the Hachikō inspired line, for additional variety.

Think this sounds plausible?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Blue Peter... and you can buy sticky backed plastic in Boyes stores!

Magpie, Tales from the Riverbank.. lummy those were the days.. Fireball XL5, Stingray, Captain Pugwash, Noggin the Nog....

but the one my kids really liked was Stoppit and Tidyup with vocals from Terry Wogan.

baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Update:

Mal, I missed you out in the last post by mistake - best of luck, hope the next course does the trick. Also the other hassles - hope they recede.

Stairs - #1 came round this morning and reckons we can do it ourselves. No chance of remaking the joint, we'll (he'll) crawl underneath and build a platform to hold up the tread. Probably large blocks for strength.  No More Nails in the circumstances is as much use as used chewing gum - the tread has to be morticed into the stringers (and supported from below, which this one doesn't seem to have been) and no glue is strong enough for that. So I've been emptying the cupboard under the stairs...  I expect tomorrow I will be on wood cutting duties and he will be crawling in the tiny space available. I've promised him lunch for him and his missus.

The house was built c1900, and we've noticed a lot of places where the woodwork is a bit apprentice-standard. Fine on the surface, but underneath it's a bit approximate. You should see the joists on the landing and in the loft - thoroughly cobbled. Subsidence hasn't helped, of course...

If you are going to have carpet on the stairs it is not too hard a job. With a bottom step I would cut one or two pieces deep enough to rest on the floor and hold the step up .  These can go against the outer side (two pieces is for the corner one) screw into whatever wood is left. It may be best to fix a piece of wood across and level with the top to give a better screw fixing. The fact it rest on the floor takes the weight. Use a bit of DPC in case the floor is damp. I would fix a small block on the newel side. Cut to shape and round off the front edge   then fix the top in place and screw down. I had to replace several winders in an old cottage They were all at the bottom worked well enough.

That place had subsidence too. Bolts with crosses across each side to hold it together a gap plugged with small bits of stone about 2-3inches wide in the wall and a six inch drop in the floor levels. It had been built in 1850 on what was assumed to be collapsed shallow coal workings.

Don

• Like 1