The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, people

Many thanks to those who have clicked Supportive and those who have responded in detail.

To clarify, mum has extreme Altzheimers, nothing at all is working which interfaces with the outside world. She has been spoon fed for over a year but now won't take food to the back of her mouth and swallow. The risk of choking is very great. Unseeing eyes open occasionally. She still experiences REM sleep, which is somewhat unnerving. A touch of jaundice was noticeable today so another step closer to the brink.

Thanks again for your support.

I do hope she is well cared for - my wife's uncle lost his life in circumstances where those feeding him - he was in respite care at the time - simply didn't understand exactly that sort of situation and left him to feed himself (which, of course, he couldn't properly manage); the NHS inquiry is ongoing, and going on & on, and not doing the health of his bereaved wife any good.

Group sessions are well known to be bad; everyone wants to download their probs to the group.

The essential first skill to acquire as a therapist is an ability to Listen.  Most of us (me in particular) are really bad at it. We are wanting to jump in with me too! Me too!

That is of no help whatsover to a depressive, quite the reverse.

Some of my best therapy sessions were where I went away with a little nugget of a helpful comment/reflective remark from the therapist that I could open up and work on over the next few days.

dh

Listening is indeed a very underestimated skill. Most people only have half an ear on what is being said because in their mind they are thinking of what they are going to say in their turn. Probably the reason that I am a genuinely good listener is down to me being a shy person. You might not think so if you have read some of my ramblings on here but I feel a lot more at ease on the forum than I would if we met face to face. I only feel confident with people I have known for a while, and then you can't get me to shut up!  I once went to Wakefield show to see Lancaster Green Ayre under construction and couldn't bring myself to speak to Jamie, though he is not at all scary. Much easier conversing via the forum.

Stay safe all. 

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, people

Many thanks to those who have clicked Supportive and those who have responded in detail.

To clarify, mum has extreme Altzheimers, nothing at all is working which interfaces with the outside world. She has been spoon fed for over a year but now won't take food to the back of her mouth and swallow. The risk of choking is very great. Unseeing eyes open occasionally. She still experiences REM sleep, which is somewhat unnerving. A touch of jaundice was noticeable today so another step closer to the brink.

Thanks again for your support.

Having MiL living with us with Dementia (they never got round to identifying which sort) it was as though the Person you knew had gone and there was only an echo of the self. Sometimes things would be remembered usually from years ago but an hour ago was a blank. She turned to Dad and said "that lady who gets our breakfast" being her daughter who she was sharing a house with. I saw her staring at cutlery seemingly trying to work out what it was. I did have the distinct feeling she wanted to die and had no interest in any aspect of life.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I think we all have experience of posting some useful info on other threads and then being ignored. Beast referred to it as invisible ink. It doesn't seem to happen on this thread. I believe it is because we treat each other as friends and would not knowingly be rude to each other.

Don

• RMweb Gold

It didn't snow here but it was cold enough to turn on the frost warning on my car. The symbol looked like an orange snowflake. I wonder if it changes colour I it is freezing! I managed to fall over in the park. The footpath is on top of the flood defence. Robbie had stepped off the path for personal reasons. I went to bag the evidence and slid down. Climbing back up I slid to the bottom again. I was fortunate that this was the "dry" football pitch sideof the footpath. The other side is the boggy side. I was only muddy. I did get changed before setting off to Leigh on Sea.

Edited by Tony_S

I do hope she is well cared for - my wife's uncle lost his life in circumstances where those feeding him - he was in respite care at the time - simply didn't understand exactly that sort of situation and left him to feed himself (which, of course, he couldn't properly manage); the NHS inquiry is ongoing, and going on & on, and not doing the health of his bereaved wife any good.

Although the home is privvytised, dad and I have had no cause for complaint over the years. She has passed through many of the stages others have mentioned.

In the early days she stayed at our house to give dad some respite to pursue his many hobbies. One morning she mistook me for my dad and got angry with my wife for sharing our bed.

Edited by 28XX

• RMweb Gold

Ian, when they arrive don't believe the negative remarks about fitting decoders that have appeared. I don't have any superpowers and had no problems. I did however look at the instruction leaflet. I always liked the original and rebuilt locos and don't need much of an excuse to have them on my layout.

Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Although the home is privvytised, dad and I have had no cause for complaint over the years. She has passed through many of the stages others have mentioned.

In the early days she stayed at our house to give dad some respite to pursue his many hobbies. One morning she mistook me for my dad and got angry with my wife for sharing our bed.

I would have given that a funny rating as the only way you can hope with that sort of thing it to laugh it hurts too much otherwise.

Don

Ian, when they arrive don't believe the negative remarks about fitting decoders that have appeared. I don't have any superpowers and had no problems. I did however look at the instruction leaflet. I always liked the original and rebuilt locos and don't need much of an excuse to have them on my layout.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks, interesting you should say that, I actually always take those remarks with a grain of salt.

I had HUGE trepidations when I first started up again, a mere two years ago, and one of the first items I bought was a Bachmann 4-CEP. Everyone seemed to think you're luck if you don't break the entire motor coach into tiny pieces attempting to open it and install a decoder. I was cautious, followed the instructions and some additional non-maniacal-ranting advice, and it was a breeze IMHO.

Since then, with the exception of my third Bachmann 5MT that I did two weekends ago, and through my own fat-fingeredness, managed to break a piece of piping off, I've had no issues with a broad range of locos, both DCC ready and otherwise.

Since I'm firmly embedded in the BR/SR steam era, I'm game for as many air-smoothed and rebuilts as I can consume :jester:  :O  but not above applying rule #1 when required!

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 14

BINGO...

Not the lottery jackpot, but squeaky wheel rule wins EVENTUALLY, it seems, especially if you start emailing folks who really hate hearing from the hoi polloi    :jester:

I present to you, for your reading pleasure;

Dear Mr Abel

I am contacting you regarding your orders for R3310 and R3203. I do apologise for the continual delays you have experienced with these deliveries and would like to re-assure you that this does not represent our usual high levels of service and that the cause of these delays has now been resolved. R3310 and R3203 are being sent together in one parcel with our Carriers Interlink Express. The parcel reference is <xxxx>  and the consignment number is <xxxx>.

In addition to this and because of the delays, I am pleased to be able to provide you with a complimentary discount code for use on our website. Simply enter <xxxx> to receive 15% off your next order, which can be for multiple items.

I have also tried calling you directly regarding this and left a message on your answer machine.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Lodge

Customer Care Manager

So there you have it, if you keep on long enough and also piss off the directors by emailing them, SOMEONE gets to respond!

In fairness, I've dealt with Mark in the past and he was extremely helpful and went beyond the call to help nearly two years ago. Why no-one ever raised my order issues up to him earlier (maybe I should just have emailed him, though I don't know if I have his actual email address) and I'd not have had to wait so long.

Possibly they even took my last email comment that "...if you just actually shipped the orders two-day air on Thursday I'd have them by the weekend..." to heart and maybe I WILL be a happy camper come Saturday :senile: 

Thank God for that

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Thanks, interesting you should say that, I actually always take those remarks with a grain of salt.

I had HUGE trepidations when I first started up again, a mere two years ago, and one of the first items I bought was a Bachmann 4-CEP. Everyone seemed to think you're luck if you don't break the entire motor coach into tiny pieces attempting to open it and install a decoder. I was cautious, followed the instructions and some additional non-maniacal-ranting advice, and it was a breeze IMHO.

Since then, with the exception of my third Bachmann 5MT that I did two weekends ago, and through my own fat-fingeredness, managed to break a piece of piping off, I've had no issues with a broad range of locos, both DCC ready and otherwise.

Since I'm firmly embedded in the BR/SR steam era, I'm game for as many air-smoothed and rebuilts as I can consume :jester:  :O  but not above applying rule #1 when required!

Yes the tender tops come off easily normally (sometimes a bit of glue can hold down the rear and the steps so just watch that) but just check the underside of the 8 pin sockets as I mentioned elsewhere. Hopefully my rogue Okehmapton is not the norm for this loco.

Glad that it looks like it's being resolved and fingers crossed hey turn up at the weekend.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It didn't snow here but it was cold enough to turn on the frost warning on my car. The symbol looked like an orange snowflake. I wonder if it changes colour I it is freezing! I managed to fall over in the park. The footpath is on top of the flood defence. Robbie had stepped off the path for personal reasons. I went to bag the evidence and slid down. Climbing back up I slid to the bottom again. I was fortunate that this was the "dry" football pitch sideof the footpath. The other side is the boggy side. I was only muddy. I did get changed before setting off to Leigh on Sea.

No mention of the 'evidence' so I assume you managed to avoid sliding into it. :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Listening is indeed a very underestimated skill. Most people only have half an ear on what is being said because in their mind they are thinking of what they are going to say in their turn. Probably the reason that I am a genuinely good listener is down to me being a shy person. You might not think so if you have read some of my ramblings on here but I feel a lot more at ease on the forum than I would if we met face to face. I only feel confident with people I have known for a while, and then you can't get me to shut up!  I once went to Wakefield show to see Lancaster Green Ayre under construction and couldn't bring myself to speak to Jamie, though he is not at all scary. Much easier conversing via the forum.

Stay safe all.

I was once described as 'Aggressively assertive' by a Superintendent who was giving me an award for tact and compassion.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

No mention of the 'evidence' so I assume you managed to avoid sliding into it. :O

Evidence was intact when eventually bagged so I can confirm I was just muddy. My dog walking apparel is not going to be affected by a bit of mud fortunately. Aditi said she wanted to leave the park so she could buy a baguette (not a style of bread I bake). I did ask whether she would be embarrassed my muddy state. She said she wouldn't be. I then asked why she didn't like being seen with me I I hadn't shaved. Apparently that is because people might think I was uncared for! Being muddy if different. I asked what about all those chaps in the newspapers who appear stubbly in public? Aditi said she isn't married to them.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ian (A), an additional way you can get them to respond is by using their social media page (I'm thinking facebook) to communicate. 

These pages are often seen as an "advert" for the company and the last thing they want to have is complaints appearing on them.

A milder way is to use the messaging application on fb to drop a note.

This worked for me once when I was really hacked off seeing staff at our local supermarket* using the toilet, failing to wash their hands and then going straight out in to the aisles to carry on work.

A quick visit to their fb page and a note went down from head office to encourage the store manager to get a grip.  

* other sources of poor hygiene are available. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I do hope you did not slide through Robbie's personal reasons both times, or even the first time for that matter!

I was only muddy?  Yeah Right! (Edit:  Just seen 112220)  I WOULD have slid through it! (Accidentally of course)

Said he, who once took a blanket that encased a large amount of dog vomit, and managed to get himself covered in the stuff when he shook it out the wrong way.

What is worse, is realizing what you are about to do, but the brain has already ordered 'shake the blanket' and you are powerless to stop it.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

I do hope you did not slide through Robbie's personal reasons both times, or even the first time for that matter!

I was only muddy?  Yeah Right!

Said he, who once took a blanket that encased a large amount of dog vomit, and managed to get himself covered in the stuff when he shook it out the wrong way.

What is worse, is realizing what you are about to do, but the brain has already ordered 'shake the blanket' and you are powerless to stop it.

It's a bit like knowing that you're going to hit your thumb instead of a nail with a hammer...............

• RMweb Gold

There is also that huge pile of wood I had delivered shortly before Xmas that is waiting to be turned into baseboards.

Warren,

Don't be in too much of a rush with the cutting, especially if using power tools.

I was told after my retinal repair that the use of tools that vibrated. Drills/circular/saws/sanders, were a big no no because of the frequency of the vibrations they put out.

Likewise wood dust, or any for of excessive dust is not good either.

If you must, then make sure you wear proper safety goggles and not just protective over glasses.

Of course, I took such circumstances to the extreme and convinced the Obergrumpenfuhrer I was not allowed to use the vaccum cleaner or do the dusting.

I'm still catching up for the six months I managed to spin that little ruse out.

Edit for sgelinpl

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I was ever so impressed as I slid down the bank. Aditi didn't say "do be careful" which usually caused me to respond "bit late for that ".

This time she said "are you OK? "

As a teenager on a family holiday in Cornwall I slipped off a bit of rock and fell into the sea. My poor mother for years denied that her words were "he's got his new shoes on". I laughed so much I wen under for a second time!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

Evening All

Just a quick look in, I'll try to catch up with the pages that I missed today as we went out to Grange Over Sands, and while I was waiting for 30747 to come out of a shop, I heard an enormous racket coming from the direction of the railway.  I'd forgotten that some of the services to Carlisle via the coast were being worked by a 37 with 4 mk2s.  Almost a real train, and I might spend a few quid to do the run over the viaduct behind what is probably the second best option to a steam train.

Generic greetings, and I'll hopefully post more and be able to comment on individual posts tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

Happy memory of G over S.  We had a family holiday at Arnside in 1969 or thereabouts.  I expressed a wish to travel over the bridge, so at the end of a day-out dad dropped me at Grange and gave me the money for a ticket back to Arnside. I also bought Red For Danger at the bookstall there, so imagine how grown-up 10-year-old me felt on his first solo train journey!

• Like 14

Yet another late finish today thanks to an 'urgent' call out. When I got there I found that the fault had been there for the last 6 weeks. Normally I wouldn't have been too upset by the cockwomble but today was my mums 80th and I was meant to have been having a meal with her.

Baz - It sounds like Youngest Herbert might have landed on his feet.

Ian A - Excellent news from Hornby. At least someone has a shred of decency.

Jamie - Several of my annual reports described me as 'forthright in my views'.

BoD - Excellent news. I hope that the rest of the recovery goes as well.

• Like 15