The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

And on a lighter, but probably controversial note.

I can't wait for Scotsman to return to the main line. (It gives me an excuse to run another kettle on my current diesel layout.....................)

It's first planned main line railtour takes it past my house the day and I already have a suitable rake of WCRC coaches for it

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11

Good news, Jock Uumm........we've just booked out first holiday away with the camper this year, to Mull, with the idea of going to Fingal's Cave - one of Mrs H's bucket list destinations.

You might need a boat as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Tony, I don't think they got any bigger than those.  Dead end of development though, they weren't a patch on emerging turbine technology, once they sorted out higher revs and reduction gearboxes.  Each engine was about 12,000 iHP IIRC, quite an achievement for steam recipricators.  I am always amazed that ship survived.

Also interesting is that it only suffered one fatality due to enemy action during its long service. It was originally coal fired but later converted to oil. Although in 1913 the US Navy was in an arms race with the UK, it seemed to be only expressed in gun size. The big guns in the RN had 13.5 inch guns so Texas had 14 inch. The next RN guns were 15".

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Sad news indeed from Ed, not much that I can say that has not been said. On the subject of abortion I think that we have the right balance in this country. A colleague was offered an abortion when the scan revealed that the baby would have a cleft palate, she turned it down and now that baby is a strapping lad of fourteen. He has a slight speech impediment and a few dentistry problems due to his condition and he has had to endure several major ops but he will be able to enjoy a normal life. Andrew, I too thought you had got rid of the troublesome neighbours and I hope the council get it sorted ASAP. Neil, on the subject of marine engines, the sight of a Doxford two stroke operating is a sight to behold.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Sad news indeed from Ed, not much that I can say that has not been said. On the subject of abortion I think that we have the right balance in this country. A colleague was offered an abortion when the scan revealed that the baby would have a cleft palate, she turned it down and now that baby is a strapping lad of fourteen. He has a slight speech impediment and a few dentistry problems due to his condition and he has had to endure several major ops but he will be able to enjoy a normal life. Andrew, I too thought you had got rid of the troublesome neighbours and I hope the council get it sorted ASAP. Neil, on the subject of marine engines, the sight of a Doxford two stroke operating is a sight to behold.

The Seahorse was just a baby - and small, for smaller vessels.  That prototype is at Beamish, but will never run again.  The slow speed ones were lovely to watch and very smooth - but pigs to work on.  I only sailed on one, 6 cylinder 76J type, 76cm bore, 10,000 shp.  Nice quiet (relatively!) engine, very smooth running for a big marine diesel.

It was in this.....

post-10195-0-22090300-1452365206.jpg

Photo courtesy old ships forum.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

the 'space hopper' appears to have diminished slightly 

Jock.

I'm surprised nobody has asked yet, but I'm sure we would be most interested to see a photo rather than just the graphic description.

We don't mind a family photo!

Probably best not to have Archie sitting on your lap though!

So we have reached page 4472 - I hear we expected to reach here several years ago, but things got delayed. Great to see it back though, and let's hope that is the end of its problems and it will once again become the big attraction it once was. It was great to see the press attention its return created - I happened to view the Sky news article whilst in the pub last night.

Anyway - generic greetings to all as once again, due to work commitments, I have been away from these pages a lot. I have just completed a Saturday that has been spent staring at a computer screen completing planning and preparation for next week. Sarah has been out at the Nottingham Forest cup tie whilst mother in law looked after Amber. Both Forest and Derby have reached the fourth round so a happy household this evening (until we draw each other in the next round that is!!!).

Yesterday was Sarah's birthday. We had a nice meal out in the evening and are having a Marks and Spencer's meal at home tonight with a couple of glasses of ale. I can indulge a bit as there will be no football for me again tomorrow. The old Achilles problem, which has plagued me for a while, is still causing trouble. I managed aggravate the darned thing simply by demonstrating how to jump off the P.E equipment during a gymnastics lesson on Thursday. I wouldn't mind - I didn't even choose the tallest bench!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Ed

Sorry to hear your news.

On a similar and not so cheerful news we heard today that Chis , the exhibition manger of the Burgess Hil club who was on rmweb died of Lukeimia back in November.

He often shared the same ward as our friend Graham in both Kings and Brighton hospital over the past year and he attended Grahams funeral looking well and fit, so a big shock to us to hear from the new exhibition manager today whilst attending the Bognor show.

Put a bit of dampener on today as we often had a good chat at various shows.

It will be our pleasure to attend the Burgess Hill show which he invited us to and all our best to the new team who are now having to pick up where he suddenly left off. If anyone was invited or attend then by all means pm me and I will pass on the details of the new organisers.

• RMweb Gold

Upon reflection, I think the new guidelines on alcohol intake are sensible.

I have decided to try to limit myself to the equivalent of one small drink a day

I'm up to Nov 16th already.

A page 4472 offering:

please click this video  (actually a plug for my new Live Steam thread)

Imagine two gentleman watching the locomotive at full stretch on the plant at Vitry

Bonjour M Andre (for this is Mr O.V.Bulleid addressing the master himself M Andre Chapelon)

Bonjour M Olio…. allo allo! Qu’est ce que c’est?

C’est mon new toy (actuellment le new toy de M Gresley), mais j’ai dessigne un vestement ripped off un Bugatti….est en Bleu comme le Gauloise.

Desirez vous un tab?

Non merci, Ceci c'est mon pipe. Zut alors! Un Bugatti hien? Avec le streamlining internale?

Non seulment exterior -  un ‘go faster’ image, pour le publicite! Sous terraine c’est plus ou moins le ‘Flying Scotsman’ avec un plus grand boileur

Mais pourquois a tu donne les déflecteurs de fumée Bosch  M. Olio?

Oh Sh!t you're right  sorry do excuse ma French M Andre....Merde!

:jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I find it difficult to know how to respond to Ed's post. Life can be so cruel. Our emotions screwed up by random accidents of biology. Hard though it is to take, Often another chance comes and all is well.  

Don

Ed, my thoughts are with you and the family.

No consolation I know, but the Mrs suffered a miscarriage when we were first trying for a family and it still can cause "not a dry eye in the house" when we reminisce about the various wins and losses of the past. Suffice to say, we eventually adopted our wonderful son Trevor, and then (as often is heard but isn't nearly as "typical" as folks like to think) once we'd finalized the adoption, discovered the Mrs was pregnant with our now lovely 28 year old pilot Jemma. Whether you have any particular deity-related beliefs or not, I think many of these things happen for a reason, and probably the best reasons, in the end.

Very late check-in today, almost over for you folks in the UK, but here goes anyway :)

Busy morning as we had to go retrieve the 90+ year old and therefore "antique" farmhouse sink from our rental property, as we have just had part of the kitchen remodeled. Bloody thing is cast iron and weighs near on 100lbs. my guess, so enlisted Trevor to go over with us and get it. Apparently, the Mrs has been doing some research/homework, they can fetch $500-700 in almost any condition, and this one is very good, so worth retrieving and selling rather than just dumping.

Picked up two lottery tickets while we were out, so will look forward to winning the now $900+ Million USD that is the latest reported figure. :jester:

Then, as I've been gone all week, and will be all next, it was "dispose of Christmas" time. Tree down and out for pickup, lights and ornaments put away etc., etc. Boy not much of a rest around here.

Weather-wise, it's time to scare the beejesus out of the timid/warmer climate dwelling amongst us :sungum:

Started off as a high of -14 and clear this morning when we got up, and that was the HIGH!

Right now, late afternoon, it's starting to fall, and already down to -16 with the overnight low expected to be -22. Buggered if I'm going out again today for ANYTHING :O

• Like 1

Evening all.  After the departure of most of the lunch party, Unravelled and myself shared another couple of pints.  Then home and prepared for today's committee meeting and agm of the South Western Circle.  Actually, the first agm I've attended in four years and I'm unlikely to attend another for another four years.  Amazingly I'm still on the committee.  My excuse is that it usually clashes with the CMRA exhibition.

Home, and catching up on some sad news.  Like many on here, I'm not usually in agreement with abortions, but there are times when the ethical decision must be towards a medical intervention.

Two services tomorrow, then Nick is coming round to collect his back scenes (and the 3F).

Best wishes,  Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

3 numbers on the big draw tonight.

No begging letters please.

Winner!

I recall another ER promising to take us all to Hamburg and Leipzig if they won the lottery....................................

Cheers,

Mick

:jester:

Haven't checked mine yet........ If I'm not here tomorrow...... :O

• Like 9

Been busy all day doing things that I wanted to for a change. Although it's difficult building kits when laughing too hard at sketches from The Goon Show.

I wasted £2 on the lottery today but I haven't got a clue what the numbers are and I won't even bother to check until the morning.

I suppose that I'd better do some ironing tomorrow ready for another busy week.

Night all

• Like 10

Before closing, Ed, having you in our thoughts, I'd like to say :

Responsibilities never go away for older parents/grandparents. However great the heartache for you, somehow you have to sustain and ‘hold’ the couple, Hayley especially, over the coming days and weeks. 

You can use ER to help with your support.

davehig

• Like 4