The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Richard Gibson was barely recognisable from 'allo 'allo days as he was wearing specs and his hair is quite  bit different however he appeared 'specs free' in the final dance numbers and so was much more obvious but he is somewhat older, now in his early 60s.  

Have a good day one & all

Didn’t he always wear glasses as Herr. Flick? Or do you mean it was the other way around, Mike?

I just caught up on that thread about Bachmann prices.....Gawd! Even more plonkers than I thought......Why do all these people want prices as low as possible and then complain about quality compared to US and Continental models? Perhaps they should build a decent layout instead of a glorified train set with 100’s of locos. My father built an 00 layout (started) in the late forties using anything he could get his hands on and hand built every single building - even using Dublo standards it was impressive, almost the same size as ET. I had a single photo of it but, alas, it seems to have got lost several moves ago...

I’ve run out of questions.......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

Greetings all from an increasingly cold Borough Market - the wind is strong and blowing squally rain about.

Lurker boys survived the respective trips and my wallet will survive it too....

I hope it goes well fro Jock.

I had my first trip across the new bridge over Borough Market last night as the beer and curries were in close proximity to Waterloo.

Have a good day all

• Like 12

Morning.

Today is a partial day in the dungeon as I get to escape for the airport by around 2PM - of course it is to JFK so that's not necessarily a good thing! So far no weather or other dramas to cock-up traffic there, but with 8 hours yet they can still handily manage to mess it all up one way or another, seems one of the "features" of JFK...

Another chance for $400 today apparently, as they are again looking for folks to volunteer to take the next flight - may yet get some additional cash for maybe a Manston this time? :jester:

Hope we see a favourable report from Jock later, good luck mate.

RIght on ZERO driving in today and partly sunny with a high of 6 here, then again I should be reporting Minneapolis weather for the high, expected to be -2 and flurries time I arrive home.

Make the most of it everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian

hope you get the money! only ever happened to me once.. offered an upgrade to First, money back, free 5* hotel suite.... but business timings meant I couldn't take it.. Bygger it!!

Pete - stay calm - unfortunately it is a sign of the times if it isn't cheap, perfect in every way and the exact match to a personal favourite (some of which people aren't old enough to have seen) then the world is against you it would appear.

As for me - in a moment of daftness last night I said to our S4 layout builders down the club I could build an EM layout of the same place (Bramley Station in Leeds) and have it running before they even get near to running their magnus opus.... me and my big gob! :-) But I have a cunning plan... well sort of, perhaps an idea, or just a hint of an idea....

Housework done .. now for some weathering - 3 Stanier 2-6-4Ts anyone???

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Back from London. The consultant was very pleased with how well I was without the medication I stopped during the summer. I will need less blood tests now but some were done today for reference levels.

The sky went black and it was quite windy just before 12.

Aditi met me at the station which was nice considering she got drenched while taking Robbie for a walk. Perhaps the squall that also went through East London?

The train back was delayed as according to our driver a train had failed at Chalkwell and had to be removed. I think it is good how they keep you informed if they can.

Tony

• Like 16

Apropos of potholes, the key thing is to avoid claims from motorists for springs, shock absorbers etc.

I broke 3 coil springs on our Merc C180 Coupe within the City of Birmingham before the Amey PFI came in.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,  and it's turned into a sunny day here. 

Noticed that there was a massive jackpot on the lottery last night. All I can say is that I'm £2 better of than those who were hoping to wake up £50M richer. 

I may well try to continue my lucky streak this weekend for the rollover.  :jester:

More flood alerts are in place in the Highlands this afternoon with the Dee up to the top of its banks. 

Fingers crossed as in Ballater the villagers are working their socks off to get back to some semblance of normality. Requests for help are now focused on helping people rebuild their homes, particularly ground floor areas; kitchens (cutlery, cookware etc) and lounges (chairs, tables etc). I guess insurance will pay out in due course but it seems a great opportunity to show people that they're not forgotten.

That got me thinking about packing up and posting some unused crockery and cutlery. Then I remembered the internet now has shops on it that deliver!

I should mention the family brain cell is on loan elsewhere today. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

As for me - in a moment of daftness last night I said to our S4 layout builders down the club I could build an EM layout of the same place (Bramley Station in Leeds) and have it running before they even get near to running their magnus opus.... me and my big gob! :-) But I have a cunning plan... well sort of, perhaps an idea, or just a hint of an idea....

Baz

Chicken. There's no points.    ;) 

• Like 2

Greetings all from an increasingly cold Borough Market - the wind is strong and blowing squally rain about.

Ditto from just west of Addison in the Tyne Valley; but happy to report the sounds of 66s rumbling down below suggest the N&C to be open again after the landslide beside the Tyne yesterday just east of Hexham.

dh

• Like 6

Noticed that there was a massive jackpot on the lottery last night. All I can say is that I'm £2 better of than those who were hoping to wake up £50M richer. 

I may well try to continue my lucky streak this weekend for the rollover.  :jester:

Try the US "Powerball" lottery - last night no-one WON at around $450M USD, so it's expected to be AT LEAST $675M USD (about 460 MILLION QUID) come the weekend! :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Try the US "Powerball" lottery - last night no-one WON at around $450M USD, so it's expected to be AT LEAST $675M USD (about 460 MILLION QUID) come the weekend! :O

Sounds like i could body-swerve lotto opportunities with improbable chances of winning worldwide! The savings I could make by not competing on a global scale could make me a zillionaire! :boast:   

• Like 2

Presumably Hampton-in-Arden after the junction was removed.

When I commuted from Northampton to Brum I used to play "see if you can spot any traces of old lines" to take away the boredom. That was one of the harder challenges - not sure if I ever really succeeded

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 7

When I commuted from Northampton to Brum I used to play "see if you can spot any traces of old lines" to take away the boredom. That was one of the harder challenges - not sure if I ever really succeeded

That's always been my favourite game on a train ride. The Cross Country one through from leaving Sheffield Midland down thru Derby and Brum to Oxford is really good for that. Especially if you get diverted from say Chesterfield Midland.

dh

• Like 3

Update - sort of good news.

MiL is home.

She has gall stones which are her main problem,

They don't want to operate because of her age and other health difficulties.

Given various potions and has to go back to the hospital soon.

Tough old lady.

Thanks again for all the support - really appreciated.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is based on the "new" station but before the line was electrified. The location is good as photographs show all kinds of trains that one might not expect to see!

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com

is an excellent source of information.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Update - sort of good news.

MiL is home.

She has gall stones which are her main problem,

They don't want to operate because of her age and other health difficulties.

Given various potions and has to go back to the hospital soon.

Tough old lady.

Thanks again for all the support - really appreciated.

Really glad to read your news. Mrs Dd must be somewhat relieved.

• RMweb Gold

Ditto from just west of Addison in the Tyne Valley; but happy to report the sounds of 66s rumbling down below suggest the N&C to be open again after the landslide beside the Tyne yesterday just east of Hexham.

dh

Didn't stay open for very long. Trees across the line now, apparently.

I think it's fair to say that it hasn't been a good winter so far.

• RMweb Premium

That's always been my favourite game on a train ride. The Cross Country one through from leaving Sheffield Midland down thru Derby and Brum to Oxford is really good for that. Especially if you get diverted from say Chesterfield Midland.

dh

Traces of the line from Great Chesterford to Six Mile Bottom are still visible, that line was closed over 160 years ago.

• Like 2

Evenin' all,

Out into a snowstorm tonight for fish & chips in Ashbourne, via the scenic route....tasty but always 2nd to Longnor (due to reopen on the 21st).

A session with the angle grinder this afternoon slicing out the new Plymouth route bridge deck in 2mm aluminium sheet around a revised Templot print....

post-7795-0-86002000-1452193536.jpg

....some finish filing and marking out of the individual bridge sections before fitting the deck to its baseframe and securing a new Templot print ready for track building.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 11