The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

In a startling development elsewhere, I have been especially selected by eBay to receive an astounding offer.

A light sabre.

Are you suitably miffed at the implication that you aren't man enough to wield a heavy one?
  • Like 1

I do use non manufacturer cartridges in my Canon ink jet printer because they are cheap, but to my mind the quality is nowhere near as good, but then I'm not printing photos, so I don't worry too much.  The laser printer is a different bit of kit all together with numerous gear wheels and mechanical linkages, so is much more complex that a standard ink cartridge.  I suspect the toner is probably cheap, but you are paying for the mechanical bits and bobs.  

Having said that, a non Dell cartridge is £45, so considerably cheaper, but I suspect I would need to change the drum etc at some point so having a new printer is quite attractive.  I also have some print issues when printing templates.  Nothing to do with Templot and I can manage a work round, but a pain just the same.  The Samsung won't have that problem.

As all of my track printing is on the laser, quality is important to me for templates etc, so replacing it was a no brainer, but what a waste just the same.

Just as an aside to Gordon's post, why do they keep changing the colours of these machines?

No sooner have I bought beige than they go black or grey.

I think they should all standardise on cornflower blue or similar.

Or taupe.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite bright here at the moment hopefully it will stay that way, or at least until I've been and got the newspapers. I actually feel sorry for the guy with a 13.5 inch #####, I once knew someone who was 'well endowed' and he kept complaining about how inconvenient and uncomfortable it was, so when it was his birthday we arranged a strippagram girl for him. :devil: I've lost a key to my front door, its a spare that I keep in my jeans pocket so it must have fallen out. Its got to be indoors somewhere as I used it last night to turn the double deadlock after putting the rubbish bags out for the dustman and I haven't been outside since. DD I hope MiL is OK, at least she's in the best place. Jock, glad to hear everything is progressing as it should be and you will no longer need to do a John Wayne impression.

Many years ago while still living with my parents I got a lift home as I was well tanked up. The next morning I couldn't find my key it was nowhere but I must have used it to get in. A few days later Mum changed the water in the flower vase in the hall and found the key.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Pop quiz time again!

Let's assume you are driving on Line 16 and due to an accident of some kind on the Central Station approach are advised to divert…

img_39213wavv.jpg

…through what we call the Public Bath Curve off Eutritzscher Straße, continuing via Nordplatz, Pfaffendorfer Straße, the zoo and Goerdelerring to rejoin your original path at Central Station.

However, it doesn't rain but it pours…

img_3922f4bzg.jpg

…and while rounding the curve you find the black van among the row of parked cars to the right is stood such that it blocks your path. You notify Control who allow you to back off onto Eutritzscher Straße.

Now: Could you actually reverse safely? If not, what do you think why you can't?

Do hazard a guess! This was one situation we explored in situ during our training and which was quite memorable.

Is it a sprung turnout. If so and some wheels are past the blade tip but not all you will do what I know as splitting the point where the front wheels will end up on a different track to the rear. Bracks uses some weighted turnouts on his garden layout a couple of crossovers so you take the crossover when reversing. Something to watch.

Don

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Is it a sprung turnout. If so and some wheels are past the blade tip but not all you will do what I know as splitting the point where the front wheels will end up on a different track to the rear. Bracks uses some weighted turnouts on his garden layout a couple of crossovers so you take the crossover when reversing. Something to watch.

Don

Almost right, Don! It's not a sprung point but a manual one, but you are quite correct to mention that reversing on this kind of point may split it and cause a derailment – especially if by trailing through you actually reset the blades. For this reason, if you do need to change direction on a manual point, you need to either manually align the blades ("push them on", if you want to call it that) prior to passing through the point, or to clear the point entirely and only then reverse.

If, for any reason, there is no alternative to reversing on a manual point and you cannot be sure whether you reset it by trailing through, you must summon assistance who then, essentially, need to push the blades on underneath the tram.

• Like 9

P'nawn da o wlad ddraig goch.

Dry here all day for a change, morning spent shopping for a LED replacement fitting for the fluorescent light in the man cave as it had developed an annoying buzz.

Had to rewire the fitting as the LED tube didn't need a starter or ballast. Worth the effort as its now brighter, uses less electric and no buzzzzzzzzz.

Gordon, you're not alone with printer problems. I have a Brother Laser where the replacement cartridge is more than the cost of a new printer, a Samsung Laser that decided to strip all the teeth off one of its gears and a HP ink Jet with no ink, it just seems to evaporate between uses as i don't get any where near the number of copies i should. I was ok up until i retired as i just used the fancy 'do anything' media centre at work. 

Christmas not quite over yet, Polly's just bought me a rather large lump of Christmas cake with a cup of tea, recon there's still enough left for a few more days yet.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

No doors Guv - special job for Drivers who like a quiet day;)

Well, let's solve the mystery!

dsc007963pkpx.jpg

dsc00803sbjam.jpg

The first photo shows the normal format for the line number display with digits in a box which is displayed in the appropriate colour, while the second one shows the inverted format of coloured digits on black background. This variant can, for example, be used for significant diversions or for measures requiring that any two lines be merged, with services changing from one line to the other at certain locations. I had heard about this function before but only yesterday had the time to test it during one of my turnarounds.

Update:

So far MiL is being treated for dehydration and an enzyme irregularity in her liver.

Won't now be doing a scan until 3pm tomorrow.

No point in travelling to see her until they've finished the tests.

Peter,

Sorry, I should have waited to read the next couple of posts before sending the last one! With any luck the lumps will show as non-malignant nodules - fingers tightly crossed for you here. Please keep us posted,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

Thanks Jock

Its raining here in San Diego. First time we have seen rain here. So its just getting us back into UK weather mode as we depart LAX this evening for the UK.

This morning we take the train to Fullerton for a bit of train watching before heading to LAX. Its been a while since we we have been on the platform at Fullerton. Great place to watch freight trains pass by.

Just had an email from Gaugemaster so the Dapol 73 'Royal Alex' may be awaiting collection tomorrow when we get home along with a Hornby ' Okehampton'.

Safe journey both,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Peter,

Sorry, I should have waited to read the next couple of posts before sending the last one! With any luck the lumps will show as non-malignant nodules - fingers tightly crossed for you here. Please keep us posted,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Nice of you and everyone else to care, Jock.

Of course, SWMBO is on tenterhooks.

I'm hoping that the 'lumps' may be compacted waste or similar.

... but it's a long shot.

• RMweb Gold

Gordon. Aditi had a Samsung laser for years and it has performed faultlessly. I have an HP laser colour printer with scanner and fax. After a couple of firmware upgrades and some driver updates int seems ok !

If you are buying a new printer, you need to check if the ones supplied are as full as the refills. The ones supplied with my HP have half the capacity of the standard new cartridge. This may affect your calculations.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Found the missing key, in my shoe! when I put them on to go out. As I usually keep my shoes 'ready for use' under my armchair I assume it must have slipped out of my pocket when I sat down. Fish pie with sweet potatoes and broccoli for dinner tonight but no desert in defference to the recent excesses of Christmas. I do like fish and I read somewhere that a 'piscean' diet is even healthier than a vegetarian diet. I wonder sometimes if our distant ancestors didn't have fish as their main source of protein as when I used to follow programs such as 'Time Team' they often found evidence of high fish consumption in ancient populations.

• Like 4

Gordon. Aditi had a Samsung laser for years and it has performed faultlessly. I have an HP laser colour printer with scanner and fax. After a couple of firmware upgrades and some driver updates int seems ok !

If you are buying a new printer, you need to check if the ones supplied are as full as the refills. The ones supplied with my HP have half the capacity of the standard new cartridge. This may affect your calculations.

Tony

The new Samsung comes with a 1000 page cartridge which will get me going. A 3500 page cartridge is £35, so I'm OK with that.

• Like 9

Well, let's solve the mystery!

dsc007963pkpx.jpg

dsc00803sbjam.jpg

The first photo shows the normal format for the line number display with digits in a box which is displayed in the appropriate colour, while the second one shows the inverted format of coloured digits on black background. This variant can, for example, be used for significant diversions or for measures requiring that any two lines be merged, with services changing from one line to the other at certain locations. I had heard about this function before but only yesterday had the time to test it during one of my turnarounds.

Well that's a disappointment Dom. I thought the correct answer was press the button to activate the bulldozer blade and push the offending vehicle out of the way.

• Like 2

Simple pleasures. We had our driveway resurfaced last summer. I shovelled snow off it for the first time today. Smooth surface, new snow shovel (with straight edge), dry snow - it was a breeze!

• Like 15

Evening all.  Feeling a bit better but still living on gallons of honey & lemon, with Lem Sip added to a couple of them.  Then a pint of Lucozade is drunk overnight.

Took delivery of my new TV and actually managed to set it up!  As you know, I bought a Samsung because the power source is on the left and the aerial socket on the right. 

Bill

• RMweb Gold

The new Samsung comes with a 1000 page cartridge which will get me going. A 3500 page cartridge is £35, so I'm OK with that.

Three or four of those should get you up to the next version of Eastwood Town then.

• RMweb Premium

Well that's a disappointment Dom. I thought the correct answer was press the button to activate the bulldozer blade and push the offending vehicle out of the way.

You know, Geoff, I do wish we had such bulldozer blades at times! Might make careless left-turners and illegal parkers think twice...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Took delivery of my new TV and actually managed to set it up! As you know, I bought a Samsung because the power source is on the left and the aerial socket on the right.

Bill

You could have bought a different model if you had wanted it.

Then turned it upside down.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And as you are are on the final version of ET even the 1000 page cartridge might be adequate.

Tony

Sorry just seen BoD's comment!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1