The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

....a great artist Polly....click on the link to hear Sia and her version of California Dreamin' too....I have to listen to it most days.

Dave

Dave that's a fabulous version of a great song that I hadn't heard before either. I'm not a great fan of cover versions normally and I really do like the original of that but there is another great cover by the Beach Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh3YqVTzQag

I believe that the guitar continuo is a certain Mr Maguinn on his 12 string.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

Good night all or even good morning .

Another wonderful day for us after meeting up for a beer with another UK citizen who enjoys Santa Barbara.

Can't help thinking I coulda helped you save money here.

You coulda stayed in London drinking American beers in a pub full of English citizens (some of whom may enjoy Santa Barbara) and no need for expensive time consuming flights.

Playing with my new camera again (I promise I'll stop soon!).

First one taken as the mist started to move in again in the late afternoon. There's a skim of ice on the inlet. While it's an arm of the Pacific Ocean, this is the end of it, about 12 miles from the mouth. There's not too much change of water with the tides, and several large streams enter the inlet here, so the water isn't as salty as in the ocean and freezes more easily.

attachicon.gifIMG_0049.JPG

That's amazin that pic and your description:

12 miles up from the sea, water now brackish, old industry only visible at low tide, replaced by housing...

Them 'poetic' tower blocks look exactly like Scotswood Road, Newcastle seen from Dunston staithes

:sungum:

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, rather late on parade this morning as I was late up and then it was our monthly breakfast at church.  Anyway I hope that the new day has greeted you all well.   Today we are actually having a day with nothing planned but I am sure that various tasks will be allocated with the boss returns from her breakfast out.

All the best to everyone.

Jamie

• Like 12

Morning all

Another Leah day today but just until 1:00pm. Although we have plenty of toys I've found her a clean M12 nut, setscrew and washer. I've just left them loosely assembled for her to find. Let's see how long it takes her to get the nut off the screw.

• Like 11

Shopping about to be approached  I'll accept the 'need' to go to Hobbycraft as there's a trouser zip on the list, and she won't accept the excuse, originally given by Winston Churchill, that 'dead birds don't fall out of nests'.

Neither, apparently, would a policeman.

But there's 'boys' stuff too in Hobbycraft - upstairs (lift at the back usually).

I've bought quite a bit of modelling kit there. It has the best range of low cost acryllics these day (since the Works cut back) and all the pastels I buy to 'shave' for weathering are Hobbycraft. I came to it via a painting course in Mackamland.

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Peeing down here now after a dry start.  Shopping done for the day, Mrs H off to see Star Who res (edited-in space as software didn't like my joke)  or something with her work friend, so it looks like modelling this afternoon! 

Big job on tomorrow at Grumble, there is a large tree down over the track, looks like I'll be taking my chainsaw.  Firewood though!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Can't help thinking I coulda helped you save money here.

You coulda stayed in London drinking American beers in a pub full of English citizens (some of whom may enjoy Santa Barbara) and no need for expensive time consuming flights.

Ah but no real trains back in the UK like the ones over here. We had an Amtrak P42 at both ends of the train. Even saw a fright passing through Santa Barbara but we were walking back down the pier at the tie so no photos.

Loads of BNSF locos parked up at Los Angeles Union which are supposedly going to be used on Metrolink Trains in front of the push pull cab cars (cant recall the reason why) so today we might be just lucky to get one of these as rumour has it that they will be in use any day now. Off to San Diego stopping off enroute so the 10 dollar all day ticket on Metrolink will get us half way down the coast.

Talking of the San Andreas film song, we watched it on the plane over the pond. A bit OTT scenario as usual in these sort of films but plenty of action in it.

Edit

Sunrise over LA

post-1557-0-30386300-1451746966_thumb.jpeg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.  I nearly posted a status update but thought that this was the better place.   The boss has decided for some reason to spend the last 2 hours sorting out her assorted spare guitar strings.  She was having trouble deciding whether one was thicker than the other so I suggested my digital callipers.  This offer has been gratefully received and I've even managed to show her how to use them .   It's a good thing that no one rang and asked me what I was doing as I could have legitimately replied that I was measuring the width of my wife's G string.

Jamie

• Like 4

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Watched the special edition of 'Sherlock' last night, not at all a bad program spoilt by the weird ending jumping between 1895 and the present day. I'm something of a Sherlock Holmes fan and the Jeremy Brett Holmes is the yardstick I use to measure any others but the current series seems to be lacking in many respects.

I thought it was like Doctor Who, on acid.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Managed to get caught up now, and good to know that we're all present and accounted for.  Posts duly rated and generic greetings to my fellow ERs. 

Domestic tasks have overtaken RMWeb (again).  Had to go to Kendal, and while I was there, I went to my favourite coffee merchant, and bought a top-up supply of the mixture that I like, only to find when I got home that it was not among the shopping items in the bag.  I guess I must have left it on the counter.....

Not a lot to say here today, so I'll be back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Started the day by taking herself to the chiro for further treatment to her back (which seems to have worked, fortunately but it was the second go at it this week) and then she talked him into having a go at my ear and sinus troubles of yesterday (which seemed to do some good - nice).  Bought a  paper then home to a bacon sarnie before going out for a little train ride - not too bad despite services being a bit awry first off and then some cockwomblette despatching my connecting train at Reading right in front of my nose leaving me with an hour until the next connection.  To say I was not a happy Stationmaster was something of an understatement and was perhaps just as well for her that I happen to be a retired one.

But it worked in someone's advantage because on 'phoning home to advise of the delay I was duly asked instructed to pop round to the M&S food department while waiting for the next connecting train.  Nice, special, dinner for me tonight - macaroni cheese and runner beans, and out to dinner tomorrow night plus dinner theatre in the week.

Have a nice evening one & all.

BTW  No doubt all the flooding in the north and Wales will soon be as nought as the Thames a couple of miles upstream from here is on the verge of bursting its banks and we'll no doubt soon get Paul Daniels and the lovely Debbie McGee (she doesn't look quite so 'lovely' when she's shopping in Waitrose) telling us all about it if the rain keeps coming down at its present rate.

• Like 6

Ah but no real trains back in the UK like the ones over here. We had an Amtrak P42 at both ends of the train. Even saw a fright passing through Santa Barbara but we were walking back down the pier at the tie so no photos.

Loads of BNSF locos parked up at Los Angeles Union which are supposedly going to be used on Metrolink Trains in front of the push pull cab cars (cant recall the reason why) so today we might be just lucky to get one of these as rumour has it that they will be in use any day now. Off to San Diego stopping off enroute so the 10 dollar all day ticket on Metrolink will get us half way down the coast.

Talking of the San Andreas film song, we watched it on the plane over the pond. A bit OTT scenario as usual in these sort of films but plenty of action in it.

Edit

Sunrise over LA

Wave at our grandkids in Los Alamitos on the way.

It's a shame you won't get to enjoy driving down the delightful I5 :)

Evenin' all,

Started the day by taking herself to the chiro for further treatment to her back (which seems to have worked, fortunately but it was the second go at it this week) and then she talked him into having a go at my ear and sinus troubles of yesterday (which seemed to do some good - nice).  Bought a  paper then home to a bacon sarnie before going out for a little train ride - not too bad despite services being a bit awry first off and then some cockwomblette despatching my connecting train at Reading right in front of my nose leaving me with an hour until the next connection.  To say I was not a happy Stationmaster was something of an understatement and was perhaps just as well for her that I happen to be a retired one.

But it worked in someone's advantage because on 'phoning home to advise of the delay I was duly asked instructed to pop round to the M&S food department while waiting for the next connecting train.  Nice, special, dinner for me tonight - macaroni cheese and runner beans, and out to dinner tomorrow night plus dinner theatre in the week.

Have a nice evening one & all.

BTW  No doubt all the flooding in the north and Wales will soon be as nought as the Thames a couple of miles upstream from here is on the verge of bursting its banks and we'll no doubt soon get Paul Daniels and the lovely Debbie McGee (she doesn't look quite so 'lovely' when she's shopping in Waitrose) telling us all about it if the rain keeps coming down at its present rate.

At least if it floods Rolf Harris wont be getting a soggy bottom this time. Probably a different term for that in nick.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! Sure has become cold outside. Will do a backread later, but first of all, something for you delectation…

dsc00783fprcj.jpg

1114 "Georgius Agricola" from my first half on Turn 334…

dsc00784blqyb.jpg

…and the tract of 2109 and 2156 which I was temporarily given for the second half due to an issue with the set booked onto Turn 367.

• Like 14

Late on today, morning started with repair to soil pipe vent. Decided that it was too cold, too windy and the ladder too steep to be messing about at the top (or I'm getting too old) so a temporary repair made with some 'duck' tape and a hasty retreat. Followed a trip over to the 5" Gauge track for a working party but by the time we got there it was raining so spent a few hours talking 'trains' in the portacabin. Typical Saturday night viewing on the box (nothing) so off to do some modelling play trains.

Very strange how bad news can also be good news.

A very good friend of mine had gone missing - the messages she was expected to send didn't arrive.

Great concern here - so out of character.

She has just e-mailed.

Her FiL has had a heart attack but is now stable.

Of course I'm sorry for him but a great weight has lifted at the same time.

• Like 2