The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

London doesn't give a monkeys about us, or the Channel islands!  Or us them, TBH.  As a Crown dependency our relationship is complex.  The Queen has a representative here, the Lieutenant Governor, but we have to pay for him!  This does not sit well with the Manx tax payer. Any more would become political, so I'll stop there.

• RMweb Gold

Is the situation viz a viz IoM’s relationship to London a bone of contention in London?

I do notice that it is just as hard to find news about the Channel Islands...

Best, Pete.

It could be hard to find out much about south Essex and we are right next to London. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

Evening all,

Back home and operation successful. Pain not too bad, but very tired after a general anaesthetic so I'll try to post more tomorrow.

Thanks as ever for the kind wishes, much appreciated,

A Very Happy New Year to you all, I hope 2016 brings everyone health and happiness!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear from you indeed, Jock!

May I just wish everyone all the very best for 2016, just in case the server might go down at midnight! May your health be of sound nature and all your plans come to fruition.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year Jock. Glad you are home. Don't do what my neighbour did after his similar operation. He overdid moving about and in an attempt to reduce the swelling applied some freezer packs. He fell asleep. Not a good area to get frost bite.

• RMweb Gold

A bone of contention here, Pete - we get virtually no benefit from the BBC, no local radio from them, hardly any TV coverage ( a few seconds on Manchester based news if something REALLY big happens) and crap signal strength in many areas.  Living two miles from their alleged north island boosted transmitter (that has very few channels), we get our signal from northern Ireland! Badly....but it works mostly and has more choice.  Thank crunchie for Sky.  Didn't think I'd ever say that!

A few years ago the beeb sent their detector vans over - they got chucked off the island as they didn't have a work permit!  A lot of folk don't pay their licence, we do but grudgingly.

I don't see why folk on the Isle of Man should pay a licence I don't think the BBC provides a proper service for you. I doubt you have any say (is there IOM representation on the board?)  Living here I do believe in paying for our National Service. We have representation through our MPs.

Don

Well, back home having run the one errand, switching bags with Jemma at the airport.

Now safely home, planning something to eat and more cold meds so I can pass out in front of the TV probably :)

Happy New Year all you great ER people :friends:

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Another day that started out dull and grey but by mid-afternoon had turned into rain. I spent most of the morning sorting out the stuff in boxes that's stored in the same area as our Christmas decorations, before they are all put away during the weekend. Sheila then asked if I knew were an old table-lamp was? It just so happened that it was cluttering up one of my shelves in the cellar. Could you bring upstairs she then asked, (thinking to myself - I'm being asked to declutter the cellar mmmm), of course I replied, when do you want it for, today? Yes please she said, and what about those vases I mentioned yesterday? Well thats three items that I've now gotten rid of, hoorah! I also managed to put all my prezzies in store too. But so much for getting any modelling done!

The afternoon the rain eased off just in time for me to go and collect our Indian takeaway, someone was looking out for me today, he he.

At Christmas I was given 2 bottles of my favourite brand of tequila, one gold and one silver, as well as quite a few bars of dark chocolate, mmmmmm. I refer to my earlier quote!

Like one or two, others on this thread we won't be celebrating late into the night, it'll probably be an early night for us.

gordon s, I've just seen the work of Merik (Mirmic) stunning does not come close enough to describe his work does it? I'd seen Ron Heggs work before, his work is also stunning, made even more so by the fact that I know the station building and surroundings quite well. It was once the Manchester terminus of my local station.

Gordon (bluebottle), congratulations on becoming a grandfather, welcome to the club. If we'd known they were so much fun, we'd have had them first! What a way to end the year!

Jock, glad to hear that your op went well today, rest easy.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Goodnight all.

Brian

• Like 17