The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

HUMP day, though that's pretty much null-and-void I guess as we get New Years Eve tomorrow and then a day off Friday!  Probably NOT a full day of work likely tomorrow ;)

Star Wars (no spoilers, don't worry), was probably worth the $5 senior discount matinee cost, though not ANY more. Seems only Harrison Ford, and perhaps the two new "stars" are capable of actually ACTING, the rest was as suggested by many, a space opera/comedy, but BOY is it making money for Disney :O

Drove in to the office today for the first time in several weeks, very refreshing change as it seems pretty much ALL the cockwombles have taken the day/week off and the entire drive was uncongested, womble-free and quite a delight.

Hornby continue to be "...closed reopening again at 10AM..." - not sure WHY I keep checking, just a desperation masochist I guess :butcher:

-9 driving in and overcast but no reports of any additional precip expected, just seasonably cold, which means around -6 for highs and -12 to -14 for lows, none of that wimpy Zero and single digits highs that some folks mistake for "cold" :jester:  

Have a lovely day.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, havnt posted for a couple of days as its been full on here due to good and bad circumstances, a good friend was flooded in Croston some 5 miles south east of us so Ive been helping him and his wife sort things out. Sad that the village has made the tv news on several occasions now for these circumstances. The rain has not been to bad today but the Chinook helipcopter which was dropping one ton bags of sand on to the river bank to shore it up had to be cancelled this morning due to the winds however service has resumed this afternoon.

Meanwhile back here

The house has seemed like a railway station waiting room with people coming and going at a steady rate, both sons back to work on Monday next week, it will be quiet without them however my bank manager will be pleased! Despite their age there is nothing like the Bank of Dad.

Hopefully at some point I will get in the shed, loads to catch up on but hope those who were under the weather feel a bit better!

Stay safe

Alan

Aft'noon all,

What began as a modelling day with the weekly shopping tagged on once it went dark changed completely as soon as the modelling started. Since having the drain removed Is has been in fear of a seroma (fluid build up under the skin). Her operation area has felt progressively tighter over the last few days so she rang the breast clinic at the hospital....the reply came this morning asking her to attend at midday. She has now had 650ml of the fluid drawn off and feels considerably more comfortable. Lunch was at a decent pub/eaterie on the way home. Shopping now to be done as and when.

All the best to any with flood water in their house.

Seasonal greetings 

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Just watching Sunshine on Leith. A film set to the music of The Proclaimers. I have never really listened to The Proclaimers before but now I understand them. They seem to repeat words, seem to repeat words, seem to repeat words a lot, lot, lot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

walked to the bank today and got back just before Frank poured water all over the place - and it was a short but very sharp down pour.

Eldest herbert has left the building to see in 2016 in London.

Youngest Herbert has decided to stay in an eat our pizza for tea..... gee wizz one day we may get our house back for use by us!

A bit of railway modelling done and I am off to do tea.

Did anyone notice that the side of the bridge in Tadcaster which collapsed was the downstream side? - could be it was just waiting for a bit of a push to fall down? The Taddie residents want the Army to put in a temporary bridge - BR90 would fill the gap but they may have to demolish the rest of the existing bridge to get space to put a bridge in - you can get round the river in Tadcaster - but its a long way round either via the A64 of back towards Boston Spa.

I wonder how many of the people mouthing off about the floods have done anything positive to help the people affected by them? Have they sent funds to the various funds that have been set up? Used some of their skills to go and help? or are they only capable of negative waves?? 

Sorry, rant over.

Baz

• Like 4

After briefly flexing his muscles, Frank passed us by hardly noticed. It must have been a near miss as the North and most of the Republic took a hammering. Both my brothers rang from the UK to see if we were all right. Sunshine, blue skies and a cold breeze this afternoon.

Hope all goes well with the op tomorrow Jock.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Back from a trip there and back round the NE quadrant of the M25.

Table collected, MiL visited , return home with table, now just where Aditi wanted it.

I had an email yesterday letting me know my train had been despatched from Trackshack. I noticed this morning that mail flights from N Ireland were disrupted so I had a look at the IoM post website and it said that the mail plane hadn't been able to depart. So I told Matthew he didn't need to listen for the post! Even better I then had an email from Trackshack informing me about the delay. Even for something beyond their control I think this demonstrates excellent customer care.

Tony

• Like 2

Agree with you there, Mick. One of the best I ever recall seeing, and certainly one of the most emotionally gripping science fiction flicks ever. Aside from acting and effects, this has, to my mind, also had a lot to do with Hans Zimmer's music…

Zimmer’s a hero of mine - I don’t have many left........

Talented geezer who also heads a team of musicians really well - I’d work for him given the chance...

Best, Pete.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening, from an Island the BBC weather forecasters constantly ignore, despite putting bloody great arrows of wind right over us on their maps.  Humbug.  To say it was windy at lunchtime is putting it mildly - it was wild!  Oddly, by the time I finished at work (thanks by the way, Tony) at 1700 it was all but still!  Weird.  I think we are now several miles nearer Scotland.

Here's hoping Jock, Is and everyone ill are OK, and improving.  Scary to read about the eyesight problems of two of our regulars, sight is such a gift.  John's wife is blind, so it always brings it very close when eyesight is discussed.

• RMweb Gold

No mention of the bad weather In the UK on the news channels that we have been watching here in the USA.

Weather has been very weird here too.

Very warm in Washington DC that we were wearing T shirts.

Florida is baking hot, far hotter than we have experience in December on past visits.

Here on Phoenix blue skies but cooler than it should be so most people have hoodies and anoraks on yet we are in T shirts as nice and pleasant for us.

• Like 11

Evening all. I hope you have managed to stay dry and safe today. Good wishes to all especially BoD for continued recovery, to Is, Jock and others with health issues.

Here Sarah is still suffering with her rhinitis. She certainly needed some peace and quiet this afternoon. With Amber feeling much better the two of us did end up going up to Sheffield after all. The journey up the M1 was not especially pleasant in the wind and rain. Once there it was an enjoyable time. Amber enjoyed playing with her young cousins. Lots of good laughs and banter amongst the adults, including a rather daft Facebook game amongst the "younger adults" involving swapping telephones and posting daft Facebook status updates to see who got the most responses. Daft, but actually quite funny at the time.

Sarah felt a bit better when I got back. She certainly seemed to have benefitted from the rest. I hope she feels better soon.

Stay safe out there!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. New Years Eve weather is predicted to be dry but cold with a good chance of frost in rural areas, make a change from recent weather much to the relief of many people. Getting late so goodnight all.

• Like 7

Evening all. Remiss for not posting since Christmas. A bit traumatic for my sister because one of her best friends was diagnosed with breast cancer on Christmas Eve and the other lost her father-in-law over the holiday period. And Sally has a double operation on her back next month, which should resolve her sciatica.

My journey home was via Tetsudofan, to plan our holiday in April, to see the progress on his garden railway and to play with the indoor layout - an eclectic mix of Polish, Hungarian and British.

My presents were a wallet and a pair of Short Yard Boots. And a couple of trips to Oxford Street has resulted in some shirts and a pair of trainers (M&S sales), and a LED desk light and a television on order from John Lewis. I chose the Samsung in preference to the Sony because the socket was the correct side for the aerial! And so the anglepoise can return to the workshop (aka the 3rd bedroom)to assist my aging eyesight.

I spent today working on Greenwich Croome Hill, wiring up the front boards with the assistance of Tony A. I'm carrying on tomorrow, with an early finish to celebrate a friend's 78th birthday, the bubbly is in the fridge.

Hope all are well, especially BoD and Jock, Bill

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, the weather here in Manchester has had a lot of variety in it today. It started out dull and grey, but it soon turned to wet and windy, although thankfully not very strong. It's raining again, but only too heavily, and certainly nothing that would cause us any worries.

This morning I attempted to catch up on some of the posts but phone calls and texts etc kept interrupting me. After lunch we completed the Sainsburys Grand Prix, it does make a bit of a change to do this in daylight! We had a quick trip to the Trafford Centre this evening to pick up yet another click and collect order. Yep, this means that Sheila has started next year's Christmas shopping already! This is quite a common thing, and Sheila will often pick up bargains throughout the year particularly for our 4 younger grandchildren.

Tomorrow I'm hoping I'll be able to wonder down the garden to my workshop and continue to work on a couple of railway projects. I'm hoping to finish some conversion work that I've had on the go for quite a while now.

Good luck tomorrow Jock

Goodnight all.

• Like 13

Evening Morning all. A trip to Gaugemaster for some track for a small testing layout and an order placed with Hattons for some point motors and something to run on the track. I also started sorting out the track electrics in preparation for laying track.

Not a lot else done but still relaxed.

A few jobs required around the house when I get enough coffee inside me once I get up.

Again my thoughts are with those either affected or threatened by disasters around the UK and elsewhere in the world.

Night all

• Like 17