The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not raining yet. It is quite windy and is forecast to get windier around lunchtime. I think I will take Robbie out after breakfast.

We are still planning to collect our table purchase from Waltham Cross and then visit MiL

Tony

• Like 9

Storm Frank is in full swing here. It has been blowing hard all night and chucking it down as well. Listening to Radio Cumbria, there are no reports yet of serious flooding, but South West Scotland is likely to get it worse than Cumbria. The wind is coming in from the south, which is a little unusual for a storm. The rain is due to stop around lunchtime, and the wind to ease off late afternoon. Then it just rains some more tomorrow! I can't see us venturing out for a while, so layout work beckons.

Edited by Simon G

Ray. . .If you intend standing in for Polly on a regular basis, then the phrase, i believe is "Nos Da".

John

Bore da o wlad y ddraig goch

(Good morning from Red Dragon land)

A few power outrages last night but nothing that more than a few minutes while the system reset. Heavy rain and wind seems to be moderating this morning. Forecast looks a little brighter for this afternoon, hope everybody weathers the storm.

Keep safe.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather windy and somewhat gloomy village.   Late in parade due to broadband failure.  It was initially expected to be off till the afternoon according to the automated message but has come back on after 2 hours.   Time has not been wasted though as I'm enjoying listening to Test Match Special as England demolish South Africa.  I just hope that the rest of the series goes as well.   I've also had time to finish the very good book that arrived on Christmas Eve, The Silent Deep about the Royal Navy Submarine service between 1945 and mid 2015.  It's good to read a well researched and written book.   Some very interesting chapters on the Cold War tangling with the Soviet Navy in the Norwegian sea and other area as well as a very good chapter on the Submarine campaign during the Falklands War.

Anyway the boss has now risen and no doubt orders will shortly be posted.  Ironing will be a high priority I think.   Hopefully some modelling this afternoon and then down to the clubrooms this evening.

BoD I'm glad that you are now somewhat mobile again and I hope that your recovery continues.

Jock, I hope that your procedure goes well and that your recovery is problem free.

Good news from Durban, the last wicket has just fallen.  A good win for England.

Jamie

• Like 13

Morning all. I'm a bit late on here after having to give some telephone advice rather than travelling 2 hours each way for a call out.

Today sees a shopping trip which will take most of the day.

Jock - Again your positivity and thoughtfulness show through with your summary post. I hope that all goes well tomorrow. There will be some action on the HA thread as well.

Here's hoping that all affected by flooding, Storm Frank, earthquakes, tornados, extreme weather conditions and fire around the globe remain safe.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 16

Morning all and the generic good wishes. I hope BoD enjoys the very tasty sounding breakfast. Good to hear that things are progressing slowly for you.

I was woken early this morning by one of the cats desire to go out for his usual morning toilet visit. For some reason he decreed that thus should be at 5.30am. He soon changed his mind when he put his nose out of the door to be confronted with Frank blowing a gale.

A pretty disturbed sleep for the rest of the morning followed as daughter's cold was making her restless and Sarah was suffering with her glands again. It seems like we are a germ ridden household again. We were due to be visiting my uncle's in Sheffield for a post Christmas get together this afternoon. I somehow doubt we will make it now. Last year it was cancelled due to the snow so that will be a couple of years missed now. Unfortunate but unavoidable though. Not that Sarah will be too disappointed, her ongoing "issues" with my family was causing some friction between us as she did not want to go anyway. Perhaps I can use the additional time at home for some modelling purposes.

All the talks of the sales are met with sympathetic feelings from me. On Monday I volunteered to take Sarah around the sales in Derby city centre. It was not a particularly pleasant experience. Yesterday it was the sales at the local garden centre where we picked up a few discounted Christmas decorations for next year as well as some food for the hamster who, surprisingly, is still with us.

Both trips were followed by meals out. On Monday it was a very nice meal in the pub. Yesterday we called in at the cafe in the garden centre. The food was nice, but the service was dreadfully slow. We ordered our food and then queued to pay and to get drinks. Those serving the drinks were so slow I actually thought I was watching one of those slow motion action replays on a live football match. They took so long that the food was brought out whilst we were still queueing.

On Monday night I caught up with my two old college friends again. An enjoyable evening spent at one of the real ale pubs in the city centre - the bonus being I could catch the bus both ways - so plenty of ale consumed.

I hope you all stay safe and dry today.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning and only been up for about an hour or so. Jock, I hope everything goes well with your operation and Bod I hope everything proceeds as it should. Club night tonight if enough members turn up, not that much will get done. Blowing a bit outside and rain predicted for later but a bit of watery sunshine at the moment. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

We currently have a bit of a blow but it is calming down after which I believe we're meant to get some  (more) rain - just in time for Mrs Stationmaster's emergency visit to the chiropractor to get her back sorted (we hope).  So no chance of cutting the front hedge by the sound of things.  And best of luck for tomorrow Jock.

This business of naming 'storms' (in reality no more than weather patterns, albeit with nasty consequences strikes me as very unimaginative.  If 'they' are going to bother to name the things why not get a bit more adventurous and multi-cultural with the names, after all we live in something the politicos call a multi cultural society?)  So should Frank have been Fatima (sorry wrong gender), should we be looking forward to Hercules, or Scylla, or Isolde, or Methuselah or Geordie (sorry chaps).  The choice to me seems endless and far better than the rather pedestrian names chosen thus far  (with due apologies to any bearing such names - but you are people and that's different).  Or is it really all about dealing with the under-educated who cannot understand what a high pressure or low pressure area approaching the British Isles in a particular direction might happen to mean and who presumably might think 'a depression' could be treated with some sort of drug to reduce its effect.  I'm sorry but dumbing down nasty storms and weather events doesn't really impress me.

Anyway have a good day one & all (and Ray should tell Polly to look at the Christmas quiz thread because a number of clues have appeared there from various people ;) ).

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Hope everyone has been OK from the storms. Sad news about the bridge in Tadcaster as we were watching the video of its collapse last night.

All the best Jock for your up coming hospital trip.

Yesterday we followed the line out of Fort Myers to the Seminole a Gulfs interchange with CSX at Arcadia. No sign of a train but one CSX loco sitting there.

We did manage to photo a few CSX trains between there and Plant City where we saw the Tropicana Juice train. There is also a railfanning covered structure at the flat crossing plus the old station is now a museum.

After that we headed to Tampa where we then sampled a fair few carafe brews in Cigar City Brewing etc.

This morning we are now at Tampa airport waiting for our flight to Phoenix. Our friends will be driving to Orlando this morning before taking the Auto train back North.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

This business of naming 'storms' ...strikes me as very unimaginative... why not get a bit more adventurous and multi-cultural with the names, after all we live in something the politicos call a multi cultural society?)  So should Frank have been Fatima or Geordie (sorry chaps). 

Quite alright SM.

Geordieland is after all another country - slotted in between Tees & Tyne (some of our most famous sons like Gooch and the Armstrongs have gone off to sort other folks problems)

:jester:

dh

• Like 10

Quite alright SM.

Geordieland is after all another country - slotted in between Tees & Tyne (some of our most famous sons like Gooch and the Armstrongs have gone off to sort other folks problems)

:jester:

dh

I'm not sure Durham's in Geordieland! I think Geordieland is between Low Fell and Ashington... doesn't come as far south as Chester-Le-Street. So I'd say between the Team and the Coquet...

Morning all (just) from Dockside - not at HQ today, but down at Victoria Quay. The rain is falling, but hopefully not for too much longer. No sign of flooding here, though I can see plenty of water in the dock but it's meant to be there...

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

. Sad news about the bridge in Tadcaster as we were watching the video of its collapse last night.

It has certainly caused a major problem for North Yorkshire.   Though the A64 bypass is still open it's not an easy diversion.  It's obviously going to be many months before the bridge is rebuilt and there are houses all round it so a parallel Bailey type bridge will be tricky.  They could possibly utilise the abandoned railway viaduct to the north which is a cycleway.  The approach along the old trackbed from the west would be simple but the eastern exit looks to have been built on.

There are also problems further up the Wharfe at Linton near Wetherby where a bridge is subsiding and that looks as if it's going to be many months and there have been reports of problems at Wetherby.  

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Who left the taps on?

Who?Who? Who? Who?

It was not too bad this morning until I was in hospital all set up to have my angiogram (again after the failure of the one I had on 2 Dec) when the fire alarm went off.

The receptionist walked through the dept calling out:  'This is NOT a drill'.

So we all had to decamp outside. It was at this point that the rain arrived.

Obviously it put out the fire, as we were allowed back in shortly afterwards.

The photographer then took many pictures of my eyes (So if you see cheap photos of the planet Mars on a market stall near you, you know what they really are!)

This time the photos seem to be delivering the required information, so I'm to see the consultant again next week.  

I presume he will then arrange for some laser repairs.

I'll probably end up like BoD with a gas bubble (again).  I like it when the gas is being displaced after about 10 days and it seems your vision is partially obscured by dirty water. (It's a bit like looking at the meniscus through the side of a jar) 

And if you tilt your head, the angle of the top of the water line changes:  A bit like an artificial horizon in an aircraft!

Although tempted, I did not go inverted to see if it would go all the way around!

Edit:  for spelling problems due to unfocused eyes

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Gold

It has certainly caused a major problem for North Yorkshire. Though the A64 bypass is still open it's not an easy diversion. It's obviously going to be many months before the bridge is rebuilt and there are houses all round it so a parallel Bailey type bridge will be tricky. They could possibly utilise the abandoned railway viaduct to the north which is a cycleway. The approach along the old trackbed from the west would be simple but the eastern exit looks to have been built on.

There are also problems further up the Wharfe at Linton near Wetherby where a bridge is subsiding and that looks as if it's going to be many months and there have been reports of problems at Wetherby.

Jamie

I did hear that there were problems in Wetherby. A long diversion for many by the looks of it.

Now at 32,000 feet and on our way to Phoenix on time. Many thousands of flights delayed or cancelled yesterday across the USA but luckily ours started its day at Phoenix.

post-1557-0-26294900-1451480037_thumb.jpeg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 18

I have just spent an hour untangling the spaghetti from my desk. 

It's now much tidier and out of the way (ish).

I'll give it until New Year. (to be in the same state)

And of course, best wishes for Jock. 

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Windy here now. I am just off to the station with Matthew and then Aditi an I are off round the M25. The Freelander is quite stable in winds, although it isn't the most aerodynamic of vehicles it's weight may brave something to do with it. Mine has a sports mode and a spoiler which I assume is the designers idea of a joke.

Tony

• Like 10

(and Ray should tell Polly to look at the Christmas quiz thread because a number of clues have appeared there from various people ;) ).

Ah, but that would be cheating. She's currently stuck on one of the Loco crests.

Just popped outside to replenish the coal bucket, its still a bit breezy but at least the rains stopped.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Damp and windy here - but in comparison to many others, we have nothing to complain about.  It seems that the storm has again bypassed this area.  Scotland seems to be bearing the brunt of this one.

Warren - good to hear that you're onto stage 2 of the recovery now, and can start to enjoy a decent meal (a bacon and sausage sarnie fits that description) and I hope that the news from the consultant is favourable on the 14th.

Jock - hope the hernia surgery goes well.  I'm sure it will.  Certainly mine was a lot less of a process than I'd expected, so hopefully yours will be too.

There's a lot more that I've taken on board, and general puropse good wishes are on offer from me to all.  

I was hoping for an easy day today, but not at all - first off when the stove was cleaned out this morning, the fire cement sealing the flue pipe decided to chip away leaving a big gap.  Luckily we keep a tub of the stuff, and it hadn't hardened in the tub (well not all of it anyway) so it has been repaired, but I can't light the fire for a while until it sets.  Then 30747 started on one of her move things about sessions upstairs, which meant moving a couple of wall cupboards, luckily not too big ones.  Then there was ....well, you get the idea.

So now managing to get here to say hi to my fellow Ers while supping a pre-prandial glass of Jaipur IPA - quite a delicious brew, I might add.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A windy night here, outside and in, the latter due to a pork pie for supper; only a little one but it fought back. Still fairly windy, now with burst of rain. However we are on the southern edge of the weather so it merits no more than a mention.

Yesterday we managed to meet up with stepson and 6 y/o daughter, but barely for long enough to hand over presents. His wife rang to say that the baby had eaten a tissue impregnated with Vick, so he had to dash off to take them to A&E. I haven't heard any news yet although Mrs mole may have; she had a hospital appointment this morning but will be coming round later.

I'm not sure whether to go out or tidy up and sort out some stuff, mostly for disposal.

Have a good day, stay dry and safe. Best wishes to Jock for tomorrow.

Pete 

• Like 1