The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have ever seen any of the Star Wars movies ever.

Should I arrange counselling?

No need.

Just listen to " I've not seen Star Wars" on Radio 4, If you can tolerate Marcus Brigstock. (I can't, as I rate him alongside Sandy Toksvig..........was funny once upon a time, but now too full of themselves.)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I notice one glaring mistake - and I haven’t seen it. The planet has normal Earth type light but it orbits a Black Hole....

Best, Pete.

Perhaps it is a rotating black hole with an ergosphere. However this is beyond my understanding. I just assume science fiction films are set in another strand of the multiverse where the laws of physics are different. The sound effects in Interstellar certainly gave my subwoofer a good test.

• Like 3

Perhaps it is a rotating black hole with an ergosphere. However this is beyond my understanding. I just assume science fiction films are set in another strand of the multiverse where the laws of physics are different. The sound effects in Interstellar certainly gave my subwoofer a good test.

Apparently the science says that the planet is too close to the Black Hole and the only emanation “seen” would be Gamma radiation (which would also strip the planet of everything)..... We will not go into the fact that tidal effects due to it’s proximity would tear the planet apart instantaneously).

If you feel like it wade through all the flaws: https://www.quora.com/Interstellar-2014-movie/What-are-some-of-the-flaws-scientific-errors-and-plot-holes-scientific-or-otherwise-in-the-Interstellar-movie It’s all confusing because some of the flaws pointed out are also wrong!

Shame really as Dr. Kip Thorne was the science adviser.....

Best, Pete.

Edited for clarity

Edited by trisonic

Now I have the new Mac Sandy's lost me - I intended it (and thus far have succeeded) in separating work and home computing. The unreliability of works laptops (bought on cost grounds rather than reliability) previously necessitated me using home machines. However I have now said that home and work do not co-exist on the same machine.

Thirty seven years ago a relative (who we knew nothing about) died intestate and without issue - and my mum researched the whole family tree and had a great deal of fun doing it. I am now part way through the recording as I now have the software. But in that part way have discovered a cousin I hadn't seen since 1957 - and he's also researching the family. 

It's keeping me off the streets.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

"Interstellar" is worth watching IMO.

Very thought provoking.

Cheers,

Mick

Agree with you there, Mick. One of the best I ever recall seeing, and certainly one of the most emotionally gripping science fiction flicks ever. Aside from acting and effects, this has, to my mind, also had a lot to do with Hans Zimmer's music…

Just to give two examples.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Much time expended on completing the fiendish Christmas Quiz set for us by our ever attentive leader.  A lot part of it was just checking if what I thought I knew was what I really knew and also agreed with perceived wisdom, the rest of the time was spent trying to find the answers where my brain was dim or knowledge very patchy (indeed).  Anyway answers duly sent off to his Andyness and time will tell just how big a fool I have made of myself (having started by initially failing to recognise a tunnel where I've stood at the lineside and watched trains entering & leaving it).

Ah now Star Wars - I think I've seen two, the first one was the first one and I quite enjoyed it (probably because of Carrie Fisher) and I've seen one of the others on tv.  And having seen the other one I'd then had more than enough.

G'night all (and should finish the last of the Christmas dinner pork tomorrow).

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Now I have the new Mac Sandy's lost me - I intended it (and thus far have succeeded) in separating work and home computing. The unreliability of works laptops (bought on cost grounds rather than reliability) previously necessitated me using home machines. However I have now said that home and work do not co-exist on the same machine.

Thirty seven years ago a relative (who we knew nothing about) died intestate and without issue - and my mum researched the whole family tree and had a great deal of fun doing it. I am now part way through the recording as I now have the software. But in that part way have discovered a cousin I hadn't seen since 1957 - and he's also researching the family. 

It's keeping me off the streets.

Researching one's family tree is fascinating, you can discover all sorts of things. I have an ancestral relative who was hung for piracy, another from a different branch of the family was sent to spy on the poet Wordsworth, because he (Wordsworth) had expressed sympathy for the French revolution. As for any monies from wealthy relatives is concerned any wealth is long gone, although I did discover a 2 X Great Grandfather who was a tea merchant able to maintain a household with several servants.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone, late again today, it's taken quite a while to catch on all of today's post, but I've finally got there.

It's been a beautiful dry and bright day today, so I took the opportunity while the sun was out to clean the car, boy did it need it, it looked as though I've been off roading, which to some extent I have been, as my job takes me down some remote country lanes. I didn't see the point of cleaning with all the rain that we'd had before Christmas. We've not had any rain for a couple of days now, but the wind is starting to pick up a bit so I think that it could be "Frank" making his presence felt. I really do feel for all those who have been affected by the floods.

In 2012 we were in the unfortunate position of being flooded ourselves, however it only affected our cellar area, but like now, was caused by a very heavy rain storm. Our whole street was affected and every home that had a cellar had flooding, we had around 18" of water. Other homes in the neighbourhood had it worse than us. But as it was confined ONLY to the cellar and we had no need to evacuate. It turned out to be blocked surface drains in the local area which have only been cleaned out once since! As a kid seeing the council clear away leaves and such from the streets was a regular thing, now it seems that it's never done, is there a connection?

Hope everyone stays safe tonight.

Goodnight all.

Edited for typos!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14

Morning all,

Almost back to normal here yesterday, with a relaxing bit of cooking of left-overs. Made a turkey and gammon pie with a white sauce using some of the stock I made from the turkey bones as well as milk, topped with shortcrust which Joanna prefers, and consumed this evening! Haven't forgotten everything that Mum and Grannie taught me and there are pulses soaking overnight to make a great big pot of turkey broth/stew for which vegetables were procured yesterday. This will be made later today and will be frozen in portions - it should mark the end of the Boxing Day turkey.

AndyID, the snow blower sounds like a serious piece of kit, despite being cheap. I'm sure that your demonstrated engineering skills (for those that don't know - in automotive engineering!) will allow you to modify it to your satisfaction.

Pete(trisonic), although your Dad's injury made him a non-combatant, he was still an important element of the whole team that keep the aircraft and their pilots flying safely! We mustn't forget the contribution that the whole team made.

Dave(TG), I hope 'Is' gets the 'Seroma' issue sorted as soon as possible - although it is a common occurrence after the type of surgery she underwent, it is still very uncomfortable! My friend and fellow 'Relay for Life' survivor Sarah had it, and explained how it affected her. Another set of beautiful images Dave - how lovely to have that sort of scenery on your doorstep.

Peter(DD), the whole 'sale price' issue really winds me up also - especially when your granddaughter has a part time job with 'Sports Direct', and explains their sale philosophy to you! I regularly buy on line from Cotton Traders, Land's End, Debenhams and others to keep Joanna's wardrobe 'over-filled' (she won't read this). They and others send sale offers to my trash box almost daily, and the first one in particular seems to average 25% sale discount throughout the year. They even offered the same discount for 'Black Friday' and Boxing Day - surely they could just knock that amount off as a discount all year, or is the reduced price the true retail value as I suspect? I hope the much too nice sounding 'Frank' doesn't cause too much trouble in your area.

'shortliner', your mention of 'Beowulf' took me right back to English Literature classes in sixth form - my then teacher announced to the class that the earliest recorded manuscript in Old English was the 13th/14th century 'Piers Ploughman' epic. I commented that I was sure that 'Beowulf' pre-dated it by some three hundred years and he disagreed! Give him his due as he obviously researched the issue overnight and had the guts to announce to the class next day that he had been wrong! I was impressed by that and he went up in my estimation. After all, he wasn't to know that my Dad had made a study of mediaeval literature, and imparted the interest to me! Not bad for a ex steam loco driver and a further example of how lucky I was to have him as a father, mentor and tutor.

I hope that 'Frank' blows over without too much damage to any of our digital friends. We will be thinking of all who are currently nursing ailments and wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. Special mention of BoD must be made as he has hardly grumbled about what must be a most uncomfortable routine!

Tomorrow, I'm clearing out the rubbish from the excesses of last weekend, and No.2 grandson will take it to the civic amenity facility, otherwise the gulls that roost on the factory roof on the other side of the railway, would have a 'field day' ripping open black bags as we have sadly got too much food waste for the relevant caddy!

Now climbing the 'Hump' and tomorrow I'll shower and shave late as my hernia operation calls for a 7am kick-off at Colchester General on the 31st. Not sure how much of a post I'll manage, and I've got no idea how debilitating the operation will be.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 2

Another relaxing day done. Tomorrow some model train shopping.

Night all

Morning Duncan,

Does this mean some action on the 'Hinton Ampner' thread? I would look forward to that, and I'm certain you would find it beneficial!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Nite all from a rather wet and windy Red Dragon Land.

Er.... She's still doing the Christmas quiz!

Ray. . .If you intend standing in for Polly on a regular basis, then the phrase, i believe is "Nos Da".

Brian . . I've owned my little Pug for about nearly 3 years. . . . I think I can recall washing it in May of this year . . . but, I can't remember the date. 

Goodnight Everyone . . .Sleep well.

John

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

. Special mention of BoD must be made as he has hardly grumbled about what must be a most uncomfortable routine!

A minor irritation compared to some on here, Jock. Today I return to some semblance of normality. I no longer have to spend most of the time lying in a particular posture. I don't think I will be parachuting or running a marathon but a little more movement is possible. There is still the need to disturb the eye as little as possible. As I haven't really had a proper meal for a week I think I may celebrate with a bacon and sausage sarnie.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow Jock.

• Like 5

As I haven't really had a proper meal for a week I think I may celebrate with a bacon and sausage sarnie.

Sounds good - enjoy it !

Edited by pH

Good luck for tomorrow, Jock.  Hope it all goes well and you can start the New Year in better shape...

A bacon and sausage sarnie sounds the business, but zero chance of one here.  Still on a running buffet breakfast that starts with Jack and I around 7.30am and continues with the youngsters the last to get out of bed around 10.00am.

Blowin' a real hoolie here, but I suspect it's just a gentle puff compared to those further north and west.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A good time was had by our visitors last night. The last one left at 12:30. We then tidied up before going to bed.....

Anyone want a cold chicken leg basted in honey and soy sauce? Or perhaps a smidgeon of apple tart?

Hope all goes well for you Jock.

I also hope you all have a nice day and that those in the UK aren't too bettered by storm Frank. It's blowing a hoolie here at the moment but no rain yet.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. First of all…

Thoughts are with Jock as he packs his toothbrush for yet another trek to the hospital.

We're with you, Jock.

Best wishes for tomorrow,

Another hurdle to take in your stride - but you are our Champion hurdler.

…what you said, Peter. Thinking of you, Jock.

Cooler this morning as the storm that's brewing over the North Atlantic seems to be cutting off the streams of warmer air. In fact, Winter Conditions Level 1 – specifying light ground and OHLE frost – have been called out for the tram on New Year's Day. There are seven levels, with 7 being disaster status. So, Level 1 is harmless really, calling for two Tatra tracts to be set aside for OHLE scraping from 10 pm till 6 am. Our snow ploughs would be sortied beginning with Level 3, with emergency timetables being activated at Level 5 and tram operation ceasing at Level 6.

Still pondering over what to do about the pillow, given it's unlikely that I could try some examples out before buying and that only that way I could really find out what would be best suited! A minor problem really compared to what some of us on here have been going through these past months, of course.

In any case, enjoy your day, troops! :yes:

• Like 13

We've just had a small earthquake here. I don't think it was big enough to cause serious damage - I hope!

Edit - US Geological Service says it was 4.8 magnitude, centred 23 km north of Victoria.

Edited by pH

Its great to be back home, waking up in your own bed with Christmas and 6oo miles of crowded motorway under yer belt (cr@p pun intended).

Getting back to our gaunt old stone house at dusk last night, getting some fires going was like Mole in "Wind in the Willows" returning to Mole End.

The drive up through Yorkshire was nowhere near as bad as we’d feared (my son once was marooned overnight at Borough Bridge by flooding of the A1M).  But it was very shocking to learn on the news that the bridge at Tadcaster had collapsed only a few miles to the east of us around the time we were crossing the Wharfe at Wetherby.

Something  like he War Damage Commission of the 1940s seems called for. to address the results of climate change on an equitable National level - though I suppose we don't have the stomach for such joined-up National thinking anymore.

I didn't appreciate the invitation addressed to me awaiting my return, to attend a viewing of new 'Assisted Living Accommodation' where I can 'choose your own furniture' and get 'help with derssing'.

Is it bl*%dy Google that tips them the wink?

Its been good to catch up with the genuine ER contributors' posts; my thoughts are with you.

dh

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning, BoD.

Apologies if I'm speaking to the back of your head.

Any improvement?

Thanks for te concern DD

I am at the stage of the procedure where the retina has been 'tacked' in place by laser and held in place by a gas bubble. That is why the posturing is necessary - to position that gas bubble correctly. From now on the gas starts to diffuse out of the eye. Everything is very blurred but I can see a dark line across the top of my eye, the top of the gas bubble. This wavers a bit like a spirit level bubble. Over the next three or four weeks, as the gas diffuses, that line moves down the eye until it finally disappears altogether. Gradually, all being well sight should return above that line. The time for this to happen varies but we are talking weeks or months rather than days for sight to fully return. Even then it is unlikely to be as good as before, only time will tell how successful the whole thing has been and how my vision will actually be.

However, there is a complication. During the procedure the lens was displaced or dislocated and so I am unlikely to see this vision improving, for the time being at least. At the moment the priority is the retina - without it the lens is not much use anyway - and once it has reattached it is probable that a further procedure will be necessary to rectify the problem with the lens. I have a consultation on Jan 14th when progress will be assessed and decisions made.

Edited by BoD