The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, well we're still rather light on the accumulated snow front here compared to normal, only got about 6 inches overnight and temps hovering around -4, a couple more inches of snow expected during the day today.

Apparently, mentioning I wasn't going to actually "bash" Hornby was the wrong thing to do, as I now AM <grrr> :triniti:

I made a mistake yesterday when I called them, and only half listened to the recorded message, giving them the benefit of the doubt that it included the phrase "..10AM on Tuesday..."

I just called again and the full and correct message is "Thank you for calling Hornby Hobbies, our lines are now closed and will reopen at 10AM". What the silly sods DON'T do is tell you on what !@$!@$ DAY they will re-open at 10AM apparently. The message itself is pretty un-professional, with all kinds of clattering and conversation in the background, and it sounds like it was recorded as an afterthought during the pre-Christmas party! What a bunch of cockwombles!

Looks like Pete is right and they are all basking in a week off and I probably won't be able to get hold of anyone either on the phone OR by email until Jan. 4th. at the earliest :butcher: there goes any chance of getting my locos in under a MONTH at least at this rate, as neither the postie nor FedEx have managed to deliver them today again...

Today we're off to see Star Wars "...whatever the latest sub-title is..." which will be a nice break

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.    I'm rich!!!!

​Got home from shopping OK and after lunch it was time to look at the washer as it was showing an error message.   I duly removed the pump cover and not only found it clogged by a pair of earings (Not mine I hasten to add) but also 26p so I'm rich.

Anyway then came the difficult bit, the cover wouldn't go back on so the washer had to come out but that involves 10 minutes work removing carp from the utility room and moving the dryer that sits on top of the washer.   Then tip the washer up, spend 10 minutes mopping the assorted carp and cat food that was under the said washer, then 5 minutes refixing the pump then had time to put everything back again.   What a lovely way to spend an afternoon but no problem, I've got some pocket money now.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I've tried, but I'm running out of time, and haven't yet caught up.  I've had to skip several pages of contributions and hence can't really offer any comments on what's been said over the last couple of days.  However, as usual, I give my blanket greetings to my fellow ERs.

I do hope that none of my fellow ERs are suffering at the hands of the inclement dreadful disastrous weather, but if anybody is, my commiserations are all I can offer.  I really do feel for those who have been affected just North of here, South of here, and East of here.  It is most disconcerting to turn on the news, and to see towns and villages that one has visited, and which are now in such dire straits.  York is a city that I really enjoy visiting, and today would have been our day for visiting the sales there - but it isn't to be.  I have been there when the waters have been just over the banks in the City centre, and that was bad enough, but this has been quite exceptional.  Ditto for Carlisle and many of the villages and towns in Mid/South Lancs. 

We have now visited the sales in Kendal (once) and Lancaster (twice), and that's quite enough for me, and tomorrow with the promised rain and winds, I have no plans to repeat the exercise.

Shopping is due to arrive soon.  I'd best get ready.  Also fire to be lit.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4

Just been dragged to a 'Factory Shop'.

up to 70% OFF.

Bunch of crooks.

Stopped at a Pavers Shoe place within.

"Show me something that is 70% off" says I.

"It's up to 70% OFF" says they.

"Show me one thing that is 70% off" I repeated.

After ten minutes and two assistants later, they produced a pair of flip flops at 52% off.

"Write to Head Office" they said.

"I'll write to someone alright" says I.

If I can be bothered. 

I believe there is a reg. that says a certain proportion of goods in a sale have to be at the sale price.

At least other offers within the premises were offered with altered tickets.

I could have bought a cheapo looking suitcase for £60 reduced from £180.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was Frank. Anyway, it begins with an F.

'king rain.

I thought it was Frank as well. We have already had heavy showers this morning, despite the forecast saying that today would be mostly dry. Wind and rain due to hit us this evening, It does seem that these storms have become more frequent since someone decided to start naming them.

My apologies, it is Frank not Fred.

• Like 7

I was very pleased to see that ITVs "Beowulf" outshines by far in every department that appalling waste-of-space with U-Tread (aka Wooden-top the Viking/Saxon/Dane/Immigrant from somewhere). Uhtred of Bebbanburg is the protagonist and main character of the best selling Saxon Stories novel series by Bernard Cornwell and very poorly adapted for BBC television. "Beowulf" may well may yet well live up to the billing of  " a successor to 'Game of Thrones' ", which was erroneously applied to the Bernard Cornwell  series  I'm looking forward to episode2, and I gather there are already plans for multiple series, with the "village/township set" still in place in Yorkshire, and the Hero having been asked to keep himself available for the next 5 years..  If the BBC quietly "BIN" the other thing I will be very pleased/won't be surprised.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just been dragged to a 'Factory Shop'.

up to 70% OFF.

Bunch of crooks.

Stopped at a Pavers Shoe place within.

"Show me something that is 70% off" says I.

"It's up to 70% OFF" says they.

"Show me one thing that is 70% off" I repeated.

After ten minutes and two assistants later, they produced a pair of flip flops at 52% off.

"Write to Head Office" they said.

"I'll write to someone alright" says I.

If I can be bothered. 

I believe there is a reg. that says a certain proportion of goods in a sale have to be at the sale price.

At least other offers within the premises were offered with altered tickets.

I could have bought a cheapo looking suitcase for £60 reduced from £180.

This reminds me that here, there have been court rulings stating that retailers must indeed provide a relevant supply of any items prominently advertised for a specific price as failing to do so would render it a misleading baiting offer in violation of trading standards. I believe prominent examples in the past have been personal computers sold by two certain discount supermarket chains of German origin where adequate availability had not been ensured. Such court rulings have also said that legally, any description like "only while stock lasts" is irrelevant, though individual rulings differ as to how long such prominent offers must indeed be available – spanning from same day till about one week from beginning of offer.

• RMweb Premium

so cleaning done, furniture reorganised, food prepared .... and had a bit of time to watch the cricket. If Johnnie Bairstow had stumped AB deVilliers it would have put him at the top of the wicket keeping tree. Seems the retired (not wicket keeping) players could have taken the ball (which turned square virtually) very easily .... in their dreams! 

Just waiting for guests to arrive as I am starving!

Have a nice evening.

Baz

• Like 11

Agoes any chance of getting my locos in under a MONTH at least at this rate, as neither the postie nor FedEx have managed to deliver them today again...

Today we're off to see Star Wars "...whatever the latest sub-title is..." which will be a nice break

Sorry to hear about Hornby  - but not unexpected. Maybe they are on the way.

Fo me, seeing Star Wars would just be additional punishment!

No snow for us yet - just a little sleet. The storms all seem to pass us to the North. I’m not complaining.

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

This Christmas plus New Year break is becoming a farce. We ordered some medication on line for next day delivery today. I have just had an apologetic email from the supplier saying their courier (a national company) is closed until 4th January and would we like to cancel. Yes Please! I checked the same product on Amazon. They were up front with no deliveries before 4th Jan. What is the world coming to.

• RMweb Gold

I did cut the lawns. The front one looks OK. Back one looks a bit muddy but will recover. Aditi asked me to do some pruning. I have erred before doing that so got her to point out each plant and how much.

Matthew is up in London seeing Star Wars with a friend. I shall ask him not to give anything away about the plot!

Neighbours phoned to say they are attempting to leave Wales tomorrow. We will probably be going to Enfield after collecting the table we ordered at the weekend.

I had an email to say that something I ordered will be winging its way here overnight. Something in different colours to my usual purchases but that is the result of books showing unusual locos and coaches in the region I do model!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

Sorry to hear about Hornby  - but not unexpected. Maybe they are on the way.

Fo me, seeing Star Wars would just be additional punishment!

No snow for us yet - just a little sleet. The storms all seem to pass us to the North. I’m not complaining.

Best, Pete.

The jury is out with Star Wars, I was impressed with the original, seen in London back in my yoof, and since there it's been variable. Note that given the delay before seeing it, we're not exactly in the "must see it" brigade.

Strange as it may seem, I've joined the legions of folks up here in the frozen mid-west who complain when the weather isn't as cold/snowy/bitter as "it used to be".

I never thought I'd turn into a local when I first got here, but there's something in the water I think that makes everyone NEED to have the awful winters to have some perverse sense of accomplishment at having survived them!

I must be daft or sick or something. :jester: (yeah, yeah, no prizes for the FIRST person to comment in the affirmative!)

EDIT: The snow/storm we've been getting was coming up from the south and headed north north-east, so not going to affect the east coast at least.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 11

The odd thing is, Ian, that I’ve always enjoyed Science Fiction books (particularly enjoying the ones by an illustrious current RMWeb member)

- but Star Wars is more like some kind of Opera - without singing. Plot full of holes.

The only Sci Fi films that I do like are Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet (and we all know that was based on Shakespeare’s “Tempest”).

Enjoy, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11

The odd thing is, Ian, that I’ve always enjoyed Science Fiction books - but Star Wars is more like some kind of Opera - without singing. Plot full of holes.

The only Sci Fi films that I do like are Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet (and we all know that was based on Shakespeare’s “Tempest”).

Enjoy, Pete.

Pete, so have you read or seen "The Martian"? I used to read a lot of Sci-fi but haven't in years now. I did like this one though, in both media forms

• Like 5

Haven't been to a picture palace since Helen and Richard persuaded me to go along with them to see the Star Trek "reboot". Hated it. Hoping now that the forthcoming film version of Asimov's "Foundation" doesn't stray too many light years from the original story and turn into just another space opera.

I have ever seen any of the Star Wars movies ever.

Should I arrange counselling?

No. I found them a cure for insomnia, though - but then most movies have that effect on me.

I’ll give “The Martian” book a go, Ian. Ta!

Currently reading SPQR by Mary Beard - not much  different!

Best, Pete.

Best, Pete.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

No. I found them a cure for insomnia, though - but then most movies have that effect on me.

I’ll give “The Martian” book a go, Ian. Ta!

Currently reading SPQR by Mary Beard - not much  different!

Best, Pete.

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

"Interstellar" is worth watching IMO.

Very thought provoking.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Unlike some organisations mentioned above, TrackShack has been working at full power today - I'm shattered!  Evidently there is a lot of Christmas money to be spent on trains.  I shan't mention what we think of a certain company's pricing policies when it comes to dealers being treated fairly.  It's not Bachmann though.....

I wish I could bottle whatever it is that makes Jock tick.  You sir, are a shining example of humanity.

They were up front with no deliveries before 4th Jan. What is the world coming to.

Dunno about the World but everything is back to normal over here. I ordered a new ergonomic left handed mouse from Amazon yesterday evening and will get it on Thursday. I did think it a bit churlish to complain that I should have got it tomorrow....

Best, Pete.

• Like 11