The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Would you believe it's snowing? Not very heavy fortunately, but it just keeps coming. The bits of IKEA cutting board that I attached to the paddles on my snow-blower to prevent "leakage" have given out. Now replacing them with steel.

The power lines up the road (probably around 3000 volts) were sagging so much with the weight of ice and snow that they would have made contact with a high vehicle. We phoned the utility company and they sent someone out with a fiberglass pole to knock the snow off.

• RMweb Premium

For me at least (probably all international customers) all I get is an email letting me know the item is "in the warehouse and will be dispatched soon".

On the account/order page they SAY you can go check the shipping but fail to provide the number needed (and it's NOT the order number) <sigh>, see clip below;

attachicon.gifOkehampton.JPG

"where's the NUMBER!!!"

Ian, 

When I ran an online business we used Royal Mail. For merchandise going to the US we lost track of it once it left Stansted, After that it was in the hands of the US equivalent and I guess they didn't feed information back into the Royal Mail tracking system. But we only used a basic service from the RM to keep costs to customers down.

Occasionally we could track stuff if the goods were "signed for" by out US customer. One occasion we saw the product was held up in customs at a hub in the midwest and managed to get hold of the relevant customs agent and ask nicely that it be released asap. I believe he'd served in the same outfit as the product was destined for, which helped!  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We use 'international signed for' for goods under 2kg, never (touch wood) lost one yet.  Sent a 7/8ths scale Sea Lion by global express/FedEx to a gent in California 2 weeks ago (7kg!) on a Friday, he got it on the following Monday.  Reckoned we had our own Lear jet!  Not bad at this time of year.  So it can be done, I just don't think Hornby have fully thought through the whole on line e-tail thing yet, and lack the infrastructure to make it really happen.

• Like 5

Andy and Neil, thanks for the input/comments.

Agreed, for RM or other carriers it's pretty much wait-and-see, as there is precious little tracking available or provided for a standard air-mail package, even then I occasionally get an ID if it's sent as tracked/signed for. I actually ALSO purchased a Bachmann Mk1 Crimson/cream FK needed to complete a rake, on Dec 14th. from an eBay seller in the UK, THAT even arrived, regular air-mail, on the 23rd! So it's not like a convoy of freighters sunk in the Atlantic before Christmas. :butcher:

Sadly, even with most eBay sellers I have more details/luck/information than with Hornby. I manly deal with Hattons for locos etc., and opt for their DHL 2-day, which also gives me, directly on their web site and an email, the tracking number. I literally watch it step by step if I want to.

Hornby always have (in the past at least) sent stuff to me FedEx, either overnight, or two-day air. That is completely trackable, but Hornby simply can't get their act together to provide details enough to allow me to do it - unless they opted this time to send it by carrier pigeon, I fear for the worst/loss in transit, and only THEY can get started locating it as I have no details <grrr>  :(

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Evening from Estuary-Land. Just watched the final episode of of the Agatha Christie thriller, and the end was still a surprise as in the film based on the same novel the hero and heroine survived. I must be thinking of a different novel but as Agatha Christie only ever used about six different plots with changes of hero/villian location, characters or outcome its not surprising. Actually saw a bumble bee a couple of days ago, looks as if spring has started. I hope there's now not going to be a cold snap what with the recent warm weather starting everything early. Enough of my ramblings, goodnight all.

• RMweb Gold

I still haven't seen the first episode of the Agatha Christie programme! I have episodes 2 and 3 recorded on the Sky box and episode one on my Mac mini as for some reason it didn't exist on the Sky version of iplayer .

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, another late start today. Went to pick up another click and collect parcel from John Lewis. It's lot less hassle than actually shopping, we had a quick walk round whilst there but came away with just one more purchase. This afternoon my cousin who is up from Amesbury visited and we exchanged gifts, it was really nice to see her and her hubby. Another lazy day planned for tomorrow, which we are both looking forward to, although I'm guessing I'll have less to do than Sheila. During the day I've been trying to catch up on all the posts. Weather has been dry and mild today, so I expect that's it's the calm before the next storm.

It seems like I'm not the only one who writes using notes and then copies into the forum when ready to. I've done this for a couple of weeks now. That way I'm able to make notes which help me not to forget!

HH.

Happy anniversary.

• Like 10

You Stollen heathens.

You can get plain Stollen, Stollen with marzipan, Stollen with chocolate chips and I am sure a plethora of other contents.

Plain stollen just needs a tender spread of butter on it. Not too thick. Just right. mmmmmmmmmmm cant beat stolleneven with a stick!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A planned (ish) meet up with my stepson and his wife daughters, or a selection therefrom, fell through as he was called in to work. He's recently got a job with Amazon, driving and warehouse work, on top of evenings as a door supervisor, which is good; they need the money.  

I had a quick visit to a new brewpub as I was passing. It's part of the Brewhouse and Kitchen chain. I had a pint of their session bitter, which was ok but nothing special. Then into town for Waterstones who have 20 0/0 off everything, and Lidl.

Finally caught up with the Dr Who special on iPlayer. I may have to watch it again....

Night all.

Pete

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

You Stollen heathens.

You can get plain Stollen, Stollen with marzipan, Stollen with chocolate chips and I am sure a plethora of other contents.

Plain stollen just needs a tender spread of butter on it. Not too thick. Just right. mmmmmmmmmmm cant beat stolleneven with a stick!

I don't like the version with marzipan. My mum always used to bring a stollen down here at Christmas. She was convinced I liked it.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Up early later today as I am taking the car to Derby for a service and an investigation into the misbehaving clutch pedal. The good point is they provide a similar vehicle so I may get a run to the tip in. Belated happy anniversary HH I hope you enjoy many more. 

• Like 3

Evening/Morning all,

Won't bore you with the full details of our family Boxing Day bash, but Joanna and I are very proud of our extended family, especially the way that they all get on so well together. I spent quite a bit of time sitting on my perch, consuming some of the delivery of cider that came from Somerset thanks to the kids, and watching all the games unfold and occasionally doing a 'Baz' - umpiring! What was especially nice for me was the way they all came and sat next to me in turn to discuss a variety of subjects which I found enervating. Almost completely cleared up before they left which was a real bonus, and son Stuart and his beautiful partner stayed overnight and finished off in the morning. Followed this with the 'breakfast in French bread' speciality of the 'transport' caravan about half a mile from here!

Apologies for the rash of ratings and my comments on what are now rather old posts.

Neil(NHN), your update on Chris's record breaking attempt machine really highlighted how high-tech this aspect of motorcycle sport has become - It makes George Brown's Vincent engined special look ancient! I was saddened whilst watching the BBC bulletin on 'those we have lost this year' to see a picture of a young Geoff Duke, one of my childhood heroes. I recall that Deb's and you found him to be a true gentleman when you met him at the TT. I was in awe when I was introduced to him, at the Ulster GP in the fifties, by my dad's friend the late great Bob McIntyre (who some may not know was the first rider to lap the TT course at over 100mph on a Gilera in 1957!). Imagine my joy when many years later I ran a stand for NGK Spark Pugs at the racing motorcycle show, the next door stand was Duke Marketing. When I mentioned my childhood meeting, he couldn't have remembered it, but we had a nice week thereafter swapping stories - he was one of the few who could be called a true gentleman throughout his life! Joanna and I are thinking of Jayne as the next awkward celebration, New Year, approaches. I know you will both be on hand for her if she needs you, and I hope she eventually comes to realise that - good luck to you both with what is a very sensitive situation.

Warren(BoD), I hope that in time, your convalescent regime gets easier to bear with familiarity. As many ERs have said, hopefully the end result will make the discomfort worthwhile.

Rick, so sorry to hear of the disastrous fires close to the lovely area you live in - the world seems to have gone mad with floods, fires, mud slides and the like happening in so many countries. America, overheating in parts and deep under snow in others! Hope you remain safe - strange how we've got too much of what you need to put the flames out?

Peter(DD), as usual you are exhibiting your public spiritedness in adversity. I hope your efforts are worthwhile, although the image of the stream you posted still looks fairly angry. You are of course so right that the safety of people is far more important than damage to property!

Dick, I loved the image with Laurence - you obviously get as much joy as we do from our grandchildren, and now great grandchildren. Was it long before you dozed off?

Bob(gdb), the images of the female line in your family were superb, and the beauty obviously runs through the genes - all the lasses looked absolutely superb!

Ian(OD), glad Sherry and you enjoyed Christmas French style, and I particularly liked the photo of the pair of you in the 'his and hers' cooking aprons.

Simon, it would appear you received some lovely gifts and I hope your Michelin starred restaurants experience lives up to its reputation. We've even heard of 'L'Enclume' here in Essex! I fully agree with your reaction to your recent health scare - it's a good idea to take each day as it comes but at the same time ticking off items on your 'wish list'.

Brian(BSW01), your youngest lad certainly chose a romantic time to make his announcement?

Stewart, it was good to read that both you and Geoff appear to have avoided the worst effects of the terrible weather. Although like you, we had a lovely Christmas, I've tended to look on it as a practice for the real event at the end of the month! This year, I'm due to be in Colchester General for my hernia operation at 7am on the 31st!

Pete(pH), lovely set of unusual images, thanks for sharing the phenomenon with us.

Matt(brianthesnail96), hope you enjoyed your break - it is always a pleasure to welcome new blood to the thread.

Paperlad, we've been thinking of you flying around far off lands and missing the festive celebrations - I hope that your company are taking this into account when they recompense you?

Ian(RH), I note from your posts that your 'Christmas avoiding' trip is action packed like all your holidays. What a clever way to cover the country with the ability to make last minute changes if they become necessary. I hope you are both enjoying it to the full!

AndyID, it looks as if the snow is becoming a real problem - well done on your very prompt action on the power supply cables. What sort of problems will arise when that lot melts?

Clearing the garage of all the rubbish tomorrow (with both grandsons doing the work) so as it isn't a problem for Joanna next week when I'm laid up after Friday's hernia operation.

Hope anyone else ailing is on the road to recovery,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night owls!

Edited to finish the post as I pressed the 'post' button when it should have been the 'return'!!' J.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 16

RIP Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead and Hawkwind. How he got to 70 years old I don't know, as he burned the candle at both ends and the middle! He certainly embraced the 'Rock and Roll' lifestyle fully but cancer apparently got him in the end. I wondered if Pete(trisonic) had dealt with him?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

Just returned from a  very pleasant evening with friends at the "British Arrow Awards" screening, excellent all of them. Many would not "pass muster" on US TV of course, they don't really manage to screen many serious public service messages like those shown. Taking serious concern for other peoples' plight isn't really much of a seller on TV here  <sigh> !

Snow starting later than expected here, so there is barely an inch or so on the ground so far - good thing too as we were out. Still expecting 6-9 inches time we wake up, we'll see.

Goodnight all...

• Like 12

AndyID, it looks as if the snow is becoming a real problem - well done on your very prompt action on the power supply cables. What sort of problems will arise when that lot melts?

Hi Jock,

Unless it suddenly warms up a lot, it should not be a problem. Land is still plentiful and fairly inexpensive here, so there are not a lot of buildings in flood plains. Being 2000 feet above sea level helps a lot too. Most people are really glad to see some snow - it's been too dry recently.

I think I've finally managed to "calibrate" my snow-blower. It's a cheap import from Asia and I only paid a fraction of what a good quality one from John-Deere would have cost. I had to increase the speed of the "snow-chucker" by 40% with a double heavy-duty chain. It's probably handling about 20 HP (continuous) when it's biting into serious snow. The plume is about 20 feet long. I'll try to post a video.

Andy

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Managed to sleep in for a bit! 

Weather forecast here now predicts falling temperatures with even a chance of light snow on New Year's Eve. We shall see, I guess… In any case, we'll be out for dinner tonight.

Later…

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, tea to be drunk tablets to be taken and out at an unearthly hour. The fact my life is so easy probably explains my lack of fitness. I have managed to avoid going over 100kg despite enjoying Christmas to the full so the target of 80kg remains.

Have a good day all.

Pete

like these?

copyright RAF

Baz

Well, Squadron badges are all similar in that the “Crown” is at the top and the motto is at the bottom with the insignia in the middle!

I know it is MOD approved and not a rip off.

I got the enameled version when I visited the RAF Museum last.

When based at Witchford his Squadron Leader lent him out to local USAAF Squadrons - where he’d paint logos on the noses of B17’s in exchange for barrels of beer delivered to their mess. He always insisted that the first “Gremlin” painting (the design used in the movie) was painted by him on a B17. Grounded due to two burst eardrums he was the Squadron “compass basher”.

Best, Pete.

• Like 16