The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Went to IKEA.

Drove around the car park and came away.

Went to Turkish Restaurant for lunch. Stayed.

Back to IKEA tomorrow.

Never mind...

That sounds familiar. It's been al one time since we went in IKEA and even longer that we drove there. Tram link is handy for getting there if you are only ordering or buying small items although probably not that much use from Sutton direction.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Up early as usual this morning. Our friends went off early to ride a few more TriRail services to see if they can get locos that they haven't done before. I was tempted but decided to keep my other half company as she wanted a lie in.

Fitted decoders to two new N scale locos (see Santa Barbara thread) then copied and renamed yesterdays photos over to the PC. Stuffed ourselves at breakfast whilst watching the various storm and fire damage across the USA. We very nearly booked our stop over in the Texas area for our trip westwards in a few days but glad we picked Phoenix instead.

There are wildfires along the coast north of LA and warnings of potential landslides so we will have to keep an eye on that as we will be heading that way by Amtrak for a day in Santa Barbara.

Also watching about the floors in the UK online although no mention at all on US news. Really hope the flood defenses can be sorted out properly although that doesn't really help those recently affected in the short term especially with another severe storm forecast in the next few days.

Off to Fort Myers when our friends get back. Hopefully some South Central Florida RR shortline action enroute.

• Like 14

Morning... congratulations on the anniversary to HH and the Mrs...

Weather woes certainly found here also in the US, but so far not near us. Jemma had a "different experience" as she's been out on a two day trip returning last night VERY LATE!

i) She started Saturday our and back to Dallas, in the midst of the storms/tornados they were enduring. The pushed back in Dallas, headed for Detroit, THEN, the airport called a Tornado alert, closed the entire place including the GATES, had everyone in the terminals moved to safe/basement areas. That left all the aircraft that were on the ground, sitting it out! They out there sat in the plane two hours before they were able to take-off, along with at least a dozen others! The delay both in and out of Dallas resulted in her and the crew "timing out" and ending up flying as passengers from Detroit to Kansas for overnight.

ii) Sunday "started well". On time from Kansas to Minneapolis, then due a "turn" to Houston. Delayed about two hours leaving here for Houston due to thunderstorms basically centered over Houston airport. Departed, then held about an hour 30 miles out of Houston. The managed to turn the plane around in 28 minutes, otherwise the crew would have had to cancel the flight as they'd time-out "again". Had to fly around and above major thunderstorms adding almost an hour to the flight back. Ended up getting back home about 3 hours late and clocking more duty hours in the "two day trip" that she will clock in her next four day!

She still loves flying, BUT, isn't so sure if she won't commit a physical injury to the next person who tells her she's "...living the dream..." :jester:  she wasn't sure she "enjoyed" sitting on the apron in a plane wondering if the tornados (and not the airplane variety) were getting closer.

Much more mundane here yesterday, generally a relaxing time, and Mrs and I took a nice long walk.

Today we're tickets to see the "British Arrow Awards" at 5PM, which is about an hour after the major storm is expected to start here, with 8-12 inches expected by tomorrow morning!

-9 current and overcast, enjoy the day :)

• Like 1

Ian. I ordered a loco from Hornby on the Sunday before Christmas. It was collected on the Monday, delivered on Tuesday within the one hour time slot emailed by the courier. For domestic deliveries Hornby text the tracking number and I just then go to the courier site. My loco wasn't available from Hattons or any other retailer. If it had been I probably would have ordered it from the Isle of Sodor.

For me at least (probably all international customers) all I get is an email letting me know the item is "in the warehouse and will be dispatched soon".

On the account/order page they SAY you can go check the shipping but fail to provide the number needed (and it's NOT the order number) <sigh>, see clip below;

post-20244-0-93592400-1451320135_thumb.jpg

"where's the NUMBER!!!"

• RMweb Gold

For me at least (probably all international customers) all I get is an email letting me know the item is "in the warehouse and will be dispatched soon".

On the account/order page they SAY you can go check the shipping but ...where's the NUMBER!!!"

There were a few domestic customers commenting recently on RMWeb that they had no information. They hadn't included a mobile number on their account information. It now has a message saying that it is necessary to receive tracking info. Perhaps they can't cope with foreign numbers! Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

My afternoon after all did involve a visit to the shops. We had a text to let us know some pillows ha arrived at Waitrose so I was sent to get them and some milk and carrots. Getting there was easy but the traffic back was very slow. I suppose lots of people have been to the beach today.

This morning we did some online shopping. That was irritating but I suppose banks need to be careful! My credit card was declined. It was not near its limit but it was an expensive item and I suppose I haven't bought a new bed for years and it didn't match my "purchasing profile". Fortunately the purchases for some wheeled toys I made before the bed purchase attempt must have matched my profile. I got a text from the bank asking if I was me trying to purchase something for whatever price, answer y or not. Then another text telling me I could continue.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ordered my Okehampton this morning from Hornby. I was thinking of waiting to pick one up at Gaygemaster in two weeks time but they have also sold out. When they sell out at full price then it normally means there's going to be a shortage hence ordering today and should arrive once we get home.

• Like 8

Knowing the “curse of deliveries” you’ll probably get it delivered before you return, Ian (L)....

Still, those Amtrak locos you picked up in Orlando look nice.

I’m awaiting a facsimile of my Dad’s RAF Squadron Blazer Badge from the UK. God knows when I’ll get that.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Despite HH’s  assertion you should be able to get Prosecco as Spumante, Frizzante or Tranquilo. Grades of bubbles.

It really is a nice drink is it not?

Best, Pete.

Oh yes!  found that out when I worked in Frascatti on and off for a few years.....mmmmh!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7

There were a few domestic customers commenting recently on RMWeb that they had no information. They hadn't included a mobile number on their account information. It now has a message saying that it is necessary to receive tracking info. Perhaps they can't cope with foreign numbers!

Sadly, they appear not to be able to "cope" with many things in terms of trying to be a functional and effective internet seller, at least for international orders <sigh>

I hate appearing to bash them, but as I was also on the losing end of the first Exeter debacle, I am coming to the conclusion more and more that my actually receiving the S15 I ordered was more a miracle than standard business practice! :O

They've had my US mobile number for ages now, on my account - I know they can dial it, as a Customer Care manager (who was very helpful actually) almost two years ago now, called several times as we were trying to resolve an issue with a rebuilt loco that had travelled the Atlantic a couple of times...

My major worry is that since they do ship FedEx to the US, they are probably lost somewhere, and who knows how/where/when it'll actually get resolved in my favour :(

With my current "luck", they'll determine they are lost, find out they have sold out of both items, and just give me a refund thinking that solves the situation :scared: