The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good Evening, a quick look in to catch up, chucked it down all day here and as a result only one way in and out of the village at the moment.

The local pub has no car park, it's acquired a lake instead, still homes are dry and should be safe which is the main thing!

Might be back later when I've caught up!

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Right, you've had your rest from my drivel.

You can thank a broken down router for that.

This has now been replaced, so I'm back on station now.

I would like to thank the kind person who suggested to the Obergrumpernfuhrer that she get me a technically biased book for Christmas.

I am now the proud possessor of the Haynes Workshop Manual of:

Thomas the Tank Engine!

I can honestly say that there is more technical information contained on the back of a joke from a cheap Christmas cracker!

Fortunately the bottle of Penderyn Legend was a suitable consolation.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I think just blaming poor river management is not the whole answer.  Over the years more and more land has been drained. Many fields which would have been wet in winter have had drainage installed. Add to that the additional land used for housing and there is a reduced capacity for the land to hold the rainfall. With the very high rainfall levels there was bound to be a problem.

More over most flood alleviation schemes involve moving the water faster so it becomes someone else's problem. In many cases the flooding occurs where there is a restriction such as an old bridge. Dredging upstream of the bridge only gets the water there faster making the problem worse. Actually dredging immediately downstream of the bridge creating increased the fall at that point will speed the water increasing the capacity of the bridge.

Managing a river is a matter of balance but when the rainfall exceeds the rivers capacity somewhere will flood. We really need to have a complete system where there are agreed areas which can be allowed to flood possibly compensating the landowners and restricting the rights of landowners to improve land in flood plains.

If those who believe increased rainfall is going to be a result of the earth warming (whatever the cause) then we have to decide how to either modify or bypass some historic bridges.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does he know “Spiny” Norman?

Sorry, extremely obscure Python reference...

Best, Pete.

He doesn't need to know Norman. As well as the Christmas tree incident, Rick has shot himself with a nail gun and there was the setting fire to the wood pile next to the lounge fireplace incident.

Tony

The areas around the Chelmer in Chelmsford are  a good example of fields left to be water meadows (flood zones) being built on in the ’70’s and ’80’s. It’s just pure good fortune that they haven’t suffered the same way.

Best, Pete.

Edited for clarity

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

A day of steady rain here too, lot of standing water on the roads (and our patio) but nothing dangerous looking.  Spent the afternoon at John's, as if we don't see enough of each other at work! Had a nice lunch and talked about his forthcoming layout.  A different approach, not a deadly serious model, but a train set type layout, as that is what he never got as a kid.  Think of the photos that used to be on the box lid of a train set when we were kids.....sort of thing.  Fairly complex, lots of trains moving, but not 'serious' operation.  Totally the opposite of my layout really.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Anther lazy day, apart from grabbing a bit of exercise by walking to Hobbycraft, about a mile each way, for 9 litre Really Useful Boxes on offer. We then replenished any calories that may have been burned up in the garden centre café next door. Now waiting for part 2 of The Hogfather but enduring an old Top Gear, the one where the rednecks chase them out of an Alabama town. One of the better episodes but could have been better. 

The stormy weather passed us by apart from a bit of a blow. Some worrying images on the news though. Hope all ER's are safe and dry.

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

He doesn't need to know Norman. As well as the Christmas tree incident, Rick has shot himself with a nail gun and there was the setting fire to the wood pile next to the lounge fireplace incident.

Tony

wasn't he a friend of Stig O'Tracy??

On the subject of flooding (we in Hull have had our share a few years ago but that was negligence on a certain organisation's part) a lady was interviewed on Christmas eve in Appleby and she commented that it had been several years since the length of river she was standing against had been "cleaned out". Makes you think don't it?

Just seen pics of the flooding in Whalley and Ribchester villages. 2 and 4 miles away respectively. Thoughts go out to all those affected. My mate's bike shop *may* be under water.

A couple of families have already been re-located at wife's work due to flooding. Mrs NB is due to go back to work to cover for staff who can't get in due to flooding affecting their journey.

This is taken from the local A59 and is a good advert for where NOT to build houses in the future.

attachicon.gifBillington.JPG

Cheers,

Mick

I nearly gave that a Funny rating for the picture, but decided that Funny didn't feel appropriate when actual homes are flooded. No 1 son and wife were due to drive to Lincolnshire this evening, but with both their cross Pennine routes closed due to flooding, sanity has prevailed and they are with us for another night. Good for us, but sad for daughter in law who has just spent her first Christmas away from her parents and was probably missing being with them. At least she will see them tomorrow, all being well.

• RMweb Premium

Thought for the evening: It's often mind boggling what you get to see in this job! Last night during the interchange node, in the tram stood opposite mine, I watched a lady in her mid to late 40s, erm, go down on a chap not much older than early 20s. Well, everyone has to have their own taste, I suppose... :jester:

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

seems there are people driving round the flooded parts of leeds to get videos for you tube.... just hope that when they breakdown no one can get to them to sort out their vehicles. The emergency services have enough on their plate at the moment without people being daft.

or is that just me????

stay safe, sleep well!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

seems there are people driving round the flooded parts of leeds to get videos for you tube.... just hope that when they breakdown no one can get to them to sort out their vehicles. The emergency services have enough on their plate at the moment without people being daft.

or is that just me????

stay safe, sleep well!

Baz

I see the hotel I stayed in recently is likely to be underwater now. Must be hundreds of businesses inundated. Very sad. 

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of flooding (we in Hull have had our share a few years ago but that was negligence on a certain organisation's part) a lady was interviewed on Christmas eve in Appleby and she commented that it had been several years since the length of river she was standing against had been "cleaned out". Makes you think don't it?

Just downstream of the lock near us (but at a much lower elevation fortunately) there is a gravel bank which has developed gradually over the last few years - ducks can now stand on it but there feathers are above water level.  In the past that would have been dredged away before it even started to become a hazard to boat traffic - now it is marked with buoys warning boats to keep clear.

Fortunately most of our riverside meadows above the town are still meadows but hedges have been removed which now allows any more serious rises in river level to go charging over them at full speed and many tree roots which absorbed water are now gone.  Floods that bad don't occur too frequently compared with, say, the 1960s but the damage which occurs now is worse.    It's even worse up around the Sonning area - all the managed water meadows are long gone and in any case the volume of water coming downstream from the Reading/Caversham area has increased because of building on the flood plain in Caversham - the river has lost the room to spread out so the water just carries on downstream.

Incidentally while nothing like the awful events in the north I noticed today that the Thames here has risen by something like 6 inches since last Wednesday although it's not yet over its banks in even the places which flood first.

• RMweb Premium

Well that's it for today. I finished the cheesecake earlier, all I have to do now is put a fruit topping on as well as some grated chocolate. I probably won't get much time to post until well after 7:00pm tomorrow due to invading Mongol hoards, aka, the family descend upon us around 12:30 ish. It will be worth it though to see the little ones faces when they open their prezzies.

I hope all those who are in danger of flooding manage to stay dry.

Goodnight all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

As a boy I lived beside the river at Reading every year the river would flood over the banks in winter coming some way up the path to our front door.  The only year it really flooded was 1947 when it went  half a mile past our house. Around 1960 they installed another weir up river and we had less problems. It still used to flood some of the Meadows towards Sonning. As Mike says the extra building works along the river will not have improved things.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Still just about unflooded.

Connection a bit dodgy!

Neighbours temporarily near you reported that as the phone line came back the power went off for a few hours. I suspect their daughter will not be having an easy job persuading them to move to that bit of Wales. Essex is one of the less exciting places to live in one's battle with the weather.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Around the Essex coast traditional flood plains have had their defences removed to allow high tides to flood them rather than surge up the Thames. It seems to be working.

Edited by Tony_S