The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just got to get my Superman outfit cleaned but otherwise all well to now.

Shame there's no longer a telephone box in the village to get changed in.

Seriously though, hope it all passes without event.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had an enjoyable Christmas day with my sister and BiL. Christmas dinner went well and had a good chat about family, last I heard of my BiL's great neice she was a babe in arms, she's now 4 years old and has started school! where does all the time go? Journey wasn't to bad there going but coming back a couple of cockwombles insisted on tailgating with their headlights shining into my mirrors. As soon as I was able too I let them pass, better to come upon the accident than to be involved in it. Tea is waiting to be drunk and then to bed, goodnight all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I've had a really great day today and here's a very big part of the reason why:

attachicon.gifIMG_3051-1.jpg

I presume their good looks are inherited from the grandmother's side..........?

And I can't see any hand tool related self-inflicted injuries either......

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Roundhouse

The modernistic approach to loading cars looks quite Heath Robinson.

It might look it but with 30 autoracks all double deck and 16 Superliners its all very efficient and quite quick despite taking a few hours to do. The consist includes two diners and two lounge cars. It's the longest train I have ever been on. We have just done a quick calculation that it's about 500 vehicles loaded. Plus a bike on a trailer hauled by a small tractor.

Only Sam Adams Lager worth drinking but it's not a bad beer and we are currently depleting their stocks quite fast. Might have to make the long walk to the other lounge car.

Hope you all have had a good xmas day and evening

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I presume their good looks are inherited from the grandmother's side..........?

And I can't see any hand tool related self-inflicted injuries either......

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

When i saw the picture then the first sentence below...

"Turkey sandwich, sausage roll, mince pie"

I thought, unusual names for the grandkids

• Like 1

As it seems likely I'll be up in the night, I'm off for a nap in bed.

If I can't find my slippers when I need to get up keep an eye open downstream.

All properties at immediate risk are sandbagged up.

This keeps the floodwater in to show the Loss Adjusters.

Thanks for the good wishes. Lets hope it passes as BoD suggests. 

I only had two parcels to do; the first attempt was the package from Hell, so I sat down and had a cry, then considered the next step. When I worked at Firth Vickers back in the sixties I was impressed by the immaculate parcels of technical leaflets produced by a bunch of girls fresh out of secondary school, so I considered going round the neighbours and asking if anybody knew where I could get hold of a 15-y-o girl to help me with something I couldn't manage for myself.

:no:  :no: :no:  :no:  There are some questions that are not suitable in this day and age..................

Cheers,

Mick

.....and there are some jokes that are coyly understated ...   ;)

Edit: added smiley for emphasis.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

It might look it but with 30 autoracks all double deck and 16 Superliners its all very efficient and quite quick despite taking a few hours to do. The consist includes two diners and two lounge cars. It's the longest train I have ever been on. We have just done a quick calculation that it's about 500 vehicles loaded. Plus a bike on a trailer hauled by a small tractor.

Only Sam Adams Lager worth drinking but it's not a bad beer and we are currently depleting their stocks quite fast. Might have to make the long walk to the other lounge car.

Hope you all have had a good xmas day and evening

Sounds like the sort of train journey I like - drinking the bar out of various beverages.  A pal and I managed it on a Eurostar once - cleaned them out of every bottle (miniature-ish size) of port and then managed to do the same with that well known grouse from Scotland.

Anyway much more abstemious today but enjoyable for all that so goodnight all and fingers crossed that DD's sandbags manage to keep out whatever happens to come downstream. 

• Like 5

Evening all,

Been back from grandson's house (he stayed sober to run everyone home - what a host!) for a couple of hours, but dozed off on the couch! I haven't consumed as much to eat and drink for many months so I'm afraid catch-up is unlikely to start until day after tomorrow, which looks like being another busy day. Although number one daughter is 'doing it', when it all happens in your house, there are lots of things to be done - I'm told!! I shall cook the turkey crown in the morning and little else (I hope).

Peter, our thoughts are with you, your family and neighbours and we have our fingers crossed that the worst of the weather by-passes you.

May get back tomorrow for a short while,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Today's been a very quiet, lazy and relaxing day (for a change) and both Sheila and I have enjoyed it greatly. We've both spent the evening reading and listening to music, it's been absolute heaven.

We also had some very nice news earlier this morning when our youngest son announced his engagement to his girlfriend with whom he's been living with for the last 10 months or so. As far as we know there has no date been set yet but we are very happy for them both, it's wonderful news.

And to top off what has been a great day I've just signed up to take part in the Great Scottish Swim, in Loch Lomond next August, again hoping to raise funds for the hospital that has treated me for cancer. I also intend to sign up for the Great Manchester swim next month too.

DD. Hope the sandbags won't be needed, but if they are that they do the job they are supposed (hoped) to do.

Good night all.

• Like 14

A quiet day spent here on the Costa. . . . I visited oldest daughter and granddaughter early afternoon, then came home and cooked then ate dinner. Chicken breast stuffed with sage and onion and pork sausage, all wrapped up in a couple of slices of streaky bacon. This was served with mashed potato, roast potato, carrot, and cauliflower. . . In fact, what I consider to be a normal sunday lunch . . . unless I'm having pork.

Daft presents exchanged, costing as little as possible, more for the hilarity value than anything else. . . I'd rather spent the "real money" on their birthdays..

I got a gun which fires elastic bands . . .Load it up with 5 bands and it will rapid fire them.. I love it!!!!

Youngest daughter 'phoned while dinner was being washed down with a bottle, , ,or three, , ,of Bah! Humbug! . . .Half an hour on the 'phone. . .

Goodnight Everyone . . . .Sleep Well.

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, guys. Just got home and I'll see to doing a proper backread when I resurface, so I'll leave it at generic congrats and commies for the moment and hope you won't mind. In the meantime, I have this to hopefully regale you:

dsc007066xklf.jpg

1232 "Bonn" at the Exhibition Centre…

dsc00707a4jsn.jpg

…and at Lößnig.

Nighty all…

• Like 17

Flood is still outside the house and not in it.

Dreadful forecast for days.

The road next to Bala Lake is now under Bala Lake.

Umpteen Red Warnings but they rely on reports from residents as there is no monitoring station for miles.

St Asaph looks in peril.

An elderly lady in a wheelchair drowned there last time.

Roads to the village here are blocked to ordinary vehicles.

Thanks for all the support! Don't be concerned, we have waders and insurance.

I may, in the panic, leave this wretched computer on the floor (joke).

If I go missing it's more likely the connection has gone than that we have been swept out to sea.

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. I'm sure to need another nap later as the cats had found a table tennis ball and were noisy enough to make me get up by 7ish.

Peter, flooding's not the thing anyone needs at any time and particularly not on Christmas. Here's hoping you could avoid the worst of it…

Other than that, I've the impression you had a splendid Christmas Day and I'm happy to hear you're back home, Warren!

Later.

• Like 2

Peter,

I ticked thanks on the post above, as I've just woken up, and looked in for an update. I had no idea you'd be in peril from flooding when your avatar says you live up a Welsh mountain, so presumably the village/town is in a dip. Has this happened often in the past?

Hoping you don't end up inundated, but as usual, you take the pragmatic view!

Please keep us posted if your connection holds.

I'm off to get the dog seen to and the turkey crown from the garage to put in the oven!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS apologies, in my tiredness I missed saying good night last night - apologies.

• Like 11

Yes, several hundred metres, Jock.

One good thing is that when the banks are topped, the water gets away very quickly (impossible to stand in six inches of it).

A bad thing is that some poor blighters downhill are suddenly inundated.

Many fields are slightly higher than here and drain into the stream through culverts and the like.

Eventually they, or the pack horse bridge, get blocked with debris and the water backs up.

Yes, have been flooded before through my own stupidity.

I took all the precautions I could think of but forgot the airbricks in the walls!

A horrible few months dealing with the damp in the walls.

Since then I've had them raised by two feet and the walls filled with insulation.

So kind of you to express concern.

People are more important than property.

• Like 1