The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

On the tax front, nothing received here (yet). If a demand does come through I shall be quoting the words uttered by a representative of the taxman on the radio recently. He stated "if an individual could reasonably have been lead to believe that their tax related matters were in order then the taxman can write off any deficit". Given that I pay the bulk of my tax through PAYE and the taxman sends me an annual tax code notification listing any required adjustments I thnink that is a pretty clear cut case myself. I suspect that goes for 99% of those folks affected if they are prepared to put up a fight.

Cheers

Dave

Quite right Dave, and if everybody affected would go through the appeal process then it would clog up the system for a long time. This, IMO, would make for a very effective form of protest against their inefficiency.

I wish sometimes that we had the mentality of the French - I can't see the majority of them just tutting and shrugging their shoulders like most of those affected over here will. They'd be out on the streets protesting. Quite right too.

• RMweb Premium

I predict that sometime around April there will be the crowds on the streets required for an ugly mess. The fall out from axed public servants and the squeeze on benefits will give the same potential flash point as the poll tax riots.

• RMweb Premium

The fall out from axed public servants and the squeeze on benefits will give the same potential flash point as the poll tax riots.

I was working in London at the time of these, and was due to go to Newcastle for a presentation - all the gear was in the office, which was in the West End - between Oxford St and Tottenham Court Road, and I had to drive through the aftermath as I had to get from Croydon and the only way was to go through Trafalgar Square, and up Charing Cross Road on the Sunday morning after the riots on the Saturday. It was a bit like driving through a war zone! HOpefully I;ll never see the like again in my lifetime.

• RMweb Gold

Oh joy

Built wardrobe carcass. Fitted first set of doors. Mrs. S came into the room and said "the sides are cream" (the rest of wardrobe is white). Stuff me. She's correct. I hadn't noticed but once the white doors were on it was obvious.

I wouldn't care, I'd hung the doors brilliantly, even if I say so myself.

I'm now crying into a cup of coffee.

• RMweb Premium

Oh joy

Built wardrobe carcass. Fitted first set of doors. Mrs. S came into the room and said "the sides are cream" (the rest of wardrobe is white). Stuff me. She's correct. I hadn't noticed but once the white doors were on it was obvious.

I wouldn't care, I'd hung the doors brilliantly, even if I say so myself.

I'm now crying into a cup of coffee.

So are you getting new sides or new doors - whatever you do it will need another trip to the store, I guess! That's just typical.

I'm crying too, but more because I was sitting minding my own business when the noises of the kitchen appliances stopped, but the lights didn't go off - it turned out that the earth leakage CB had tripped in the mains box, and it took quite an effort to get it reset - all the power circuits went out, and the broadband/TV router and the TV box would not reboot correctly - had to do the inevitable power down, wait, power up, and the TV box took three goes (it's connected to the broadband router, so both need to be fully in sych before anything works again). Just gone round resetting all the clocks that tripped, and in doing so, discovered what caused the blow - the oven's burnt out - as we found when we went to take the foil off the chicken and it was still raw. Now got to get the serviceman in to sort it out - DOH.

I was working in London at the time of these, and was due to go to Newcastle for a presentation - all the gear was in the office, which was in the West End - between Oxford St and Tottenham Court Road, and I had to drive through the aftermath as I had to get from Croydon and the only way was to go through Trafalgar Square, and up Charing Cross Road on the Sunday morning after the riots on the Saturday. It was a bit like driving through a war zone! HOpefully I;ll never see the like again in my lifetime.

Curiously, I was at school in Durham at the time of the poll tax riots in 1990, and was on a class trip to the Science Museum and Natural HIstory Museum in London on the very day of the poll tax riots! Closest we got was Knightsbridge and on the tube back to King's Cross, but it was a funny coincidence being there on that day. 31st March, 1990, if I remember correctly.

Had a good day yesterday, was at the cricket in Chester-le-Street, and got a trip up to the Test Match Special commentary box, courtesy of Jonathan Agnew. Got to meet Aggers, Ian Botham, Duncan Fletcher, Michael Vaughan, Malcolm Ashton (the scorer) and Simon Mann. Was a great day, especially as I got the tickets for free.

Been out for lunch today at the Black Horse at Beamish, as it's Mum's birthday on Wednesday. Had a glass of white wine, so have had a snooze already this afternoon...

• RMweb Premium

Just what you don't need at the moment.

Doesn't sound good, must be a big fault to do that. Hope it isn't too expensive.

Shouldn't be too bad, as it is a large range type cooker, which I have covered by insurance for breakdown (as I inherited the thing when I moved in, and had no idea of the likely repair costs, I thought it better) and I have a job number for the repair, and I just need to get the engineer booked now - I've had several repairs to the cooker so the insurance has proved to be worthwhile for me - a callout from Stoves is now about the same as a year's parts and labour cover! However, it will be a major repair, as it's pretty obvious that the element's gone.

Of more immediate significance was that I'd already had my insulin, so a rapid rethink was needed - frankfurters, potatoes and two veg was a most unusual dinner - the chicken's now doing for tomorrow as a cold collation in the top oven, but as that's almost never used for more than a few minutes, it is burning off a load of grease, and every smoke alarm in the place has now tripped.

It never rains....

• RMweb Gold
So are you getting new sides or new doors - whatever you do it will need another trip to the store, I guess! That's just typical.

The shop is going to get in touch with the firm that produces the wardrobe and we will see what solution they offer. Unfortunately that can't happen until Monday. The lead time for the wardrobe was about six weeks so a quick trip to the store isn't an option.

I was beginning to wish I had gone to "that Swedish place" but then I recalled the wardrobes my son bought there and the thought very quickly disappeared.

Morning All,

As Dominik has already said, quite nice around here this morning. The temperature is hovering around 16°C and the sun is out at the moment.

I think a relatively quiet day is in order!

Have a good one everybody...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Lovely morning here at present - about three oktas and quite bright. Happy Sunday (is it Sunday - presently every day is much the same for me!) - oh yes, it must be Sunday, Aled Jones is on the religious slot on the radio.

Chez 45156 will be an oven free zone for a couple of days - I can't book an engineer until later today (the service helpline's open on Saturdays til 3 and is only open for a short time today) but it does seem that the top oven/grill managed (after a much longer time) to cook the chicken, and we'll manage to get by - it should cook oven chips OK!.

Just to keep me quiet, Mrs 45156 has decided that it's high time we streamlined the home paperwork/filing systems and has brought home a load of filing related products to replace the old envelopes and things that we've used for about 25 years successfully. Sounds like a thrill packed day is in order there - NOT.

I guess it'll be a bit quiet here today, as there seem to be several major exhibitions on - Expo EM, Worthing, Woking, and the Trains4U open day, so all good railway modellers should be out there somewhere, and not stuck at home working out a new filing system!

To those who are exhibiting - good luck and smooth running - to this attending - have fun.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

oh yes, it must be Sunday,

Now I know for sure that it's Sunday as Mrs 45156 has kindly cooked me a lovely breakfast - complete with a most tasty egg. We've just started buying them from a local supplier with a flock of chickens, and who has started up an egg round - free range, fresh, and mixed sizes from large upwards some are too big to sit in the egg tray properly - last lot we had ten double yolkers out of twelve eggs - and all for £2.00 a dozen.

Ah - Sunday breakfast - now if I only had The Broons to read it would make Sunday morning a bit more complete. Scottish RM Webbers will know what I'm missing there! My paper shop can only get the Scottish papers on a Monday! (They can get HM on time though!)

A day in the life of ....

Yesterday SWMBO and me baby sat a 91 year old lady, the mother of a friend.

We are exhausted.

She had more energy than both of us.

Drinks with lunch and supper and many miles on the road visiting her preferred destinations left us frazzled.

However, great lady and good company.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all sunny day here I will not be attending any exhibitions this weekend but I am hoping to go to Leatherhead on the 25th. I have had an offer of free transport for the last ten years see Gordons post for the reason I have not been able to take up the offer previously.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, nice morning here. Not a lot on today as my daughter and SiL are picking me up later - I have to go to Bournemouth hospital tomorrow for xray / checkup on progress, so am staying at daughter's tonight as she lives a lot closer to there than I do.

Lots of talk about helicopters no doubt, plus the obligatory caning at Call of Duty on his Xbox (SiL is good) before he leaves for Shawbury for the week.

Have a good one.