The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the typos but it does annoy me that they changed after checking my typing.

The connection I had was three minutes and via the long subway ramps but If I couldn't make it, then most won't as I knew where I had to go.

I had a quick conversation with a guard. If he was correct then thousands are due to lose their position in the new franchise despite so many cancellations due to staff shortages at the moment.

Its an appalling situation. At the moment I don't trust the the Southern website when it says trains running normally as quite often it's wrong and that's from personal experience and even quite different to National rail website.

I have had a delay repay declined because my ticket expired. It expired after the day of delay but before they responded. My other half got the delay repay and hers expired on the same day as mine.

They do really deserve to lose the franchise which is such a shame as there are so many people working for them that are doing their best. Some of the best ticket office staff and Guards. This is in no way a critism of them.

Unfortunately us public don't really get to know the drivers.

Edit

Why o why didI risk using Southern whenI could have been driven to and picked up from the pub today when we have had such a carp week with them. At least we will have over a week away from not using the non existant rail service over Xmas (although that is NRs making) but why advertise 'Southern trains are made for Xmas' when there will be so few of them. Complete mis advertising.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Both broken again after a long day at Groudle!

Rick, as an ex-merchant navy officer I fully support the RNLI.  Only them and salvage crews put to sea when everyone else on the water is running for cover - RNLI crews (all volunteers don't forget) are some of  ARE the bravest and most selfless people you will ever meet.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

By the way, if anyone should have wondered about my continuing to describe what appears to be an "Angry Bridge" (Angerbrücke), I figure you could understand the name as "Common Green Bridge." Just as a side note while cooking dinner!

And no, Gohlis has nothing to do with goolies but is of Sorbian origin, best translated as something like "Barren Land"! :yes:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

By the way, if anyone should have wondered about my continuing to describe what appears to be an "Angry Bridge" (Angerbrücke), I figure you could understand the name as "Common Green Bridge." Just as a side note while cooking dinner!

And no, Gohlis has nothing to do with goolies but is of Sorbian origin, best translated as something like "Barren Land"! :yes:

Goolies is a loan word from Hindustani.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A successful trip across the water to Gravesend, stocked up with plenty of pickles for Christmas. A little worry, the covered market was locked and barred but a notice on the door directed people to the local shopping centre a couple of minutes walk away where the stalls were ensconced in an empty shop and the pickle stall was just inside the entrance. Also on the food front, or tea anyway, I started on the leaf tea with the filter teapot and although it involves more preparation and clearing up I do not intend to go back to tea bags now, I'd forgotten how good tea tastes without being enclosed in a bag. I am trying various teas at the moment, some are too fine for the filter which seems to like the larger leaves which are also easier to clean from the filter. Another advantage is if you remove the filter before pouring the tea doesn't 'stew', just put it back in if you are going to top up the pot and then remove it again before pouring.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Back home from Enfield. Matthew went with us which was nice as his cousins were also there.

MiL was running a master class in annoying my dear wife. Nevermind it gives us a chance for a replay on Christmas day. I could tell Aditi was annoyed, she had her fierce Hobbit expression.

I dropped Matthew at Oakwood as he is meeting one friend for a drink near Holborn and then meeting a group for a meal at another friends house to say bye bye to those who are departing the UK tomorrow. Matthew will stay with another friend overnight and treat him to some kind of pub breakfast and lunch.

Not a lot happening between now and Christmas. Any shopping is just stuff we would buy anyway like milk.

Tony

• Like 7

Rick, as an ex-merchant navy officer I fully support the RNLI.  Only them and salvage crews put to sea when everyone else on the water is running for cover - RNLI crews (all volunteers don't forget) are some of  ARE the bravest and most selfless people you will ever meet.

I totally agree about the RNLI crews. I know a number of members (mostly former members now) of the St Bees crew, and your words fully apply to them.

Just watched the first part of Strictly. Jay McGuinness was very much let down by the uninspiring choreography from his partner in his show dance. He could have easily coped with a more demanding and exciting routine. It might just have blown his chances of winning.

• Like 2

Apologies for the typos but it does annoy me that they changed after checking my typing.

The connection I had was three minutes and via the long subway ramps but If I couldn't make it, then most won't as I knew where I had to go.

I had a quick conversation with a guard. If he was correct then thousands are due to lose their position in the new franchise despite so many cancellations due to staff shortages at the moment.

Its an appalling situation. At the moment I don't trust the the Southern website when it says trains running normally as quite often it's wrong and that's from personal experience and even quite different to National rail website.

I have had a delay repay declined because my ticket expired. It expired after the day of delay but before they responded. My other half got the delay repay and hers expired on the same day as mine.

They do really deserve to lose the franchise which is such a shame as there are so many people working for them that are doing their best. Some of the best ticket office staff and Guards. This is in no way a critism of them.

Unfortunately us public don't really get to know the drivers.

Edit

Why o why didI risk using Southern whenI could have been driven to and picked up from the pub today when we have had such a carp week with them. At least we will have over a week away from not using the non existant rail service over Xmas (although that is NRs making) but why advertise 'Southern trains are made for Xmas' when there will be so few of them. Complete mis advertising.

Both the Sh*tweasles at Southern and the bunglec*unts at Southeastern are unfit to run a Fecking Hornby train set. That is the mangelment and not the sharp end by the way.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

For the voluntary work part of my Duke of Edinburgh award I worked at the local lifeboat station. It was mostly menial tasks, keeping things clean and such like but as a treat, at the end of my 'stint' I was allowed on board for a launch down the ramp and a ride. That was over 40 years ago. I learned to respect the crew and what they did. I think there was one paid member, the cox or whatever, and the rest were people from the local community.

One of the vivid memories from my childhood was hearing the 'maroons' going off knowing that the local butcher and others would be running to the lifeboat station.

I can, only just, remember what we call the lifeboat disaster, when the crew was lost. They had been called out to rescue the crew of a fishing coble. It was a vile night and they had successfully got the crew on board and were returning. Between the piers, and within site of safety, they hit the bar and the lifeboat overturned.

The lifeboat crew and all but one of the crew of the fishing boat were lost.

The lifeboat station is long gone, covered by other boats, but the lifeboat involved has been restored and returned and us on display. There are still members of the community who lost loved ones that night.

• RMweb Premium

Having been frightened to death on a couple of occasions at sea on very, very large vessels, the guts it takes to go in those waters in a tiny boat are those of pure steel.

A time that also makes me recall all my colleagues that were lost in the sinking of the MV Derbyshire, still the largest British vessel lost at sea, and on which I should have lost my life.  It was late, I went to another vessel in the fleet.....lost a lot of friends on that.

• Like 1

I am sorry to read of sad news.  And happy when there's better to be reported.

Today has been a challenge in many ways.  It has been 42C (officially) and I have spent a full eight hour shift at what is known to be the hottest duty point, namely under a large tin roof with little air movement and where my phone app sowed consistently that the air temperature was 47C.  Despite being provided with copious amounts of water that is a tough shift by any standards.  

We sometimes hear of bravery and courage beyond the call of duty.  Coming from a Cornish fishing village we grew accustomed to the occasional tragic loss of a man or even (rarely) a whole boat and crew to the sea.  Today, 19th December, marks the day I lost two good friends.  

Few events in recent history would match the courage which took eight volunteers to sea on the night of 19/12/1981 into the face of a hurricane with 100mph winds and 60-foot waves to rescue eight of their fellows.  None survived.  The Penlee lifeboat disaster, coming just before Christmas, hit eight families and two villages so hard that its effects will be felt for many years yet.  

Two of the crew were personal friends.  I knew others by sight just because of who they were in a close community.  I stand in silent honour of their memory and in the knowledge that Coxswain "Trev" Richards would never have accepted rescuing half a crew.  He would always ask his crew if they backed his decision but none would have refused to go back for more.  "Can't leave 'em there, Trev" would have been the call.  

The link plays for an hour, uses actual recordings, is dispassionate and unbiassed.  If you don't have that time then please just take it from 39 - 41 minutes.  

Rick,

Thank you for mentioning the Penlee disaster, I got down my paperback book in the study this morning (it's a calendar entry!) Hard to believe how many people all over the world are affected by that event - my own connection was that, in the seventies, as a member of the Tuesday night league darts team for the Star Inn, Porkellis, we used to play at the 'Old Coastguard' in Mousehole, against a couple of the crew. Couldn't believe it when I saw the roll call of those lost on the news. I have nothing but awe and respect for those brave men of the RNLI (and not forgetting those who wait at home for them). As you mentioned, I think there will be tears shed in two villages today.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A successful trip across the water to Gravesend, stocked up with plenty of pickles for Christmas. A little worry, the covered market was locked and barred but a notice on the door directed people to the local shopping centre a couple of minutes walk away where the stalls were ensconced in an empty shop and the pickle stall was just inside the entrance. Also on the food front, or tea anyway, I started on the leaf tea with the filter teapot and although it involves more preparation and clearing up I do not intend to go back to tea bags now, I'd forgotten how good tea tastes without being enclosed in a bag. I am trying various teas at the moment, some are too fine for the filter which seems to like the larger leaves which are also easier to clean from the filter. Another advantage is if you remove the filter before pouring the tea doesn't 'stew', just put it back in if you are going to top up the pot and then remove it again before pouring.

We were introduced to Yorkshire tea (leaves) by one of the kids, then found the milder Yorkshire Gold suited us better.  Scrunched up through the fingers, it has made some excellent compost in the allotment on CQ!  I'm now thinking cattle pen....  :scratchhead:

• Like 15

....A time that also makes me recall all my colleagues that were lost in the sinking of the MV Derbyshire, still the largest British vessel lost at sea, and on which I should have lost my life.  It was late, I went to another vessel in the fleet.....lost a lot of friends on that.

This post of your relationship with the 'Derbyshire' prompts me to say that the loss of that ship still resonates here in the North East.

My wife spent many years of her professional life in South Shields Marine and Tech., where many had connections with the ship.

Its unexplained disappearance took far too long to be resolved for those left grieving.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A successful trip across the water to Gravesend...

Its good to see from your post that the ferry still operates.

I'd assumed that since the closure of Tilbury Riverside and the doubling of the Dartford crossing, the ferry had gone.

A highlight of my teen years (1952) was biking down from the High Peak to my Essex grandma near Maldon then, next day crossing on the ferry to Gravesend which, as I pushed my (3 speed) BSA Golden Wings ashore, seemed like entering an exotic foreign land!

My destination was my other grandad who'd retired to a tiny flat overlooking Rye.

dh

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I'd assumed that since the closure of Tilbury Riverside and the doubling of the Dartford crossing, the ferry had gone.

A highlight of my teen years (1952) was biking down from the High Peak to my Essex grandma near Maldon then, next day crossing on the ferry to Gravesend which, as I pushed my (3 speed) BSA Golden Wings ashore, seemed like entering an exotic foreign land!

My destination was my other grandad who'd retired to a tiny flat overlooking Rye.

dh

The ferry was threatened with closure a few years ago but the protests were such that the local authorities had to support it. It carries more traffic nowadays than it did then since the Tilbury docks expanded. There was only a handful of passengers when I crossed both ways today but it was difficult to find a parking spot on the pontoon and quite a crowd was waiting to catch the ferry when I returned.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As I said earlier, it was wet and windy this morning but we decided to pop in and say hello at West Shore.  Came out the other side of Pen(maenmawr) and it was dry!  So while the club Class 37 had a run and a member tried out his new BR blue Class 08 the sun shone.

post-14049-0-75466500-1450567332.jpg

post-14049-0-24015700-1450567268.jpg

Back round the headland on the way home.

post-14049-0-83071800-1450567418.jpg

Christmas cake due out of the oven...better take a look.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. I've just about managed to keep up with today's post through out the day.

It's been a very busy day today, up early (for a Saturday anyway) and off to the Trafford Centre for some more Christmas shopping. Picked up the final few items for the grandkids and some food for the after Christmas bash that we are planning for the 27th. The freezer is looking rather full now, I'm sure we've over bought as usual, but ho hum!

Why is it that people with young toddlers will insist on letting them walk about when its very, very busy? The number of little ones that nearly walked into the large heavy bags I was carrying I can't recall. But the looks that I was getting from the kids parents was unbelievable. I didn't let there kids loose, it's not my fault that the little ones can't walk in straight lines, they should be watching them, better still keep them in their buggies, that's what there for not for piling the bloody shopping in!!!!!!!

Good night all

Morning all,

Got some sleep last night but busy again today, got round to putting up the Christmas tree and placing the lights on it so that Joanna and little Freddie could 'dress it'. A great investment in the January sales over 25 years ago - Debenhams had it priced at over £120, and I paid less than half that! Previously we'd paid over £20 per annum for the type of 'real' one that don't drop their spines. Most visitors over the years have commented on how good it looks! Had another 'play' with Harvey when we dropped his brother Freddie home - he seems to have bounced back remarkably. Apologies if some of my comments relate to older posts, but at least I've now caught up.

Chris, how lovely to read that you and Flavio are going to get together and doubtless puttting the world to rights. Seriously, I would like to wish you 'bon voyage' and hope you thoroughly enjoy your break.

Rick, thanks for the bulletin on the current weather where you live. I believe I've only been that hot a couple of times, and one of those was out in the Sahara. I simply don't think I'd like to work in that heat. You and Lisa P4 have certainly opened my eyes to the level of adaptation required by those emigrating from the UK.

Jamie, how nice to read that Tony was in such good spirits despite all that ails him. You truly have shown once again, what a loyal and true friend you are. I admire him and look on him as an inspiration - he certainly does more modelling than I do, despite his disability. I'm only sorry that I can't come to your Lancaster extravaganza to meet you both.

Dom, lovely night images, the second one with the reflections is exceptional!

Baz, terribly sorry to read about 'youngest herbert's employment woes. There really isn't a good time for this to happen, but Christmas always seems worse. Hopefully he will find something very soon that is an improvement, and he can then salute his old company in true Churchillian manner!

Mick B, that lot in Wrexham hardly showed what could be called a Christian attitude? Sorry to hear about your cold/flu - however trivial you might say it is, it still makes you feel miserable!

Mal, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your cherished pet - I very much like the idea of the family meeting for memorial drinks, it's a lovely idea, a time to reflect on all the joy you've had. Perhaps your time with Gabe's sister and brother-in-law will take your mind off things in the meantime.

Ian and Sherry, glad to see you've landed safely. Lovely picture of Cooper, that left paw looks like he could deliver a left hook like 'Enry's Ammer'. I hope Alison managed to keep the equine crowd in good shape during your absence.

DD, it's good to read that Annie was in such good spirits. I'm surprised you haven't had a comment on the guitar images from Pete (trisonic) or Stewart, our resident guitarists - do you play yourself? (careful!).

Brian (BSW01), thanks for braving the weather to capture the steam pics, you can almost smell it!

Andy (the leopard), really good to hear from you, however briefly. I hope your absence has been due to playing with old buses and trams, rather than suffering illness?

Dave (TG), that looks like one seriously relaxed lady pictured in the church. How lovely that 'Is' managed to walk so far, can we take it that she has shaken off the worst of the effects of the infection now?

Neil (NHN), it looked really good at Groundle Glen in your photographs - nice to see the customers smiling. Did Deb's get roped in again this weekend? Have you planned anything for Christmas that involves Jayne? You must have felt very lucky indeed to have 'missed' the MV Derbyshire disaster, but no doubt the loss of so many workmates must have been an awful experience. I still find it hard to believe that any storm was capable of destroying such a massive vessel. You, of course, have no doubt endured heavier seas than I've experienced and I suppose we should never underestimate the power of nature, especially an angry sea!

Best wishes for improvement in health for those that need it, and I hope Sunday is enjoyed by all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night insomniacs!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Now in Worthing and after visiting two Micropubs with a great conversation with the locals and now in Worthings newest brewpub it is deathly quiet yet good dark ale, it just doesn't work like it does in the USA where they do appreciate good beer enmass more than the UK surprisingly.

Oh and yes the trains did fail me today as the new timetable from Ford to Worthng gave me a 3 minute change at Barnham and didn't make it despite both trains being on time. So another fail for Southern as you can't make the advertised three minute connection between those standing around being dippy at the top of the loooong ramps at Barnham.

Worthing is picking up a lot in recent years and rumours of more good places due to open.

The Alehouse is new but quiet.

However guess what

Trains late back from here so the usual carp from Southern. Can't get away from the delays at the moment which is one reason why I hesitated from making todays trip.

Sister and BiL and family live in Worthing and he inhabits the micropubs on a daily basis.  There's a fair chance you would have crossed paths.  Shame The Castle has closed (allegedly for renovations and new ownership but who knows) as that was a decent if quirky watering hole very close to the station.

Southern's definition of "Normal Service" is around 50% cancelled and 25% late.  Add to that the appallingly unsatisfactory class 313s used on the coast and it's surprising they trains are as busy as they usually are.  However if you're in West Brighton (as Worthing has now become) at night and really struck for transport there's a night bus along the coast to Brighton itself and with onward connection to Eastbourne, Uckfield and Haywards Heath through the small hours.  And there's a Bognor Regis - Littlehampton - Worthing - Gatwick night service which can be found using the Metrobus website.

RNLI crews (all volunteers don't forget) are some of  ARE the bravest and most selfless people you will ever meet.

And always the last to shout about it.  Most are very reluctant to even discuss their commitment - certainly within earshot of strangers.  Most are just ordinary folk and go about their day jobs normally until the shout goes up.

• Like 13

dh

Dave,

Isn't it incredible how ERs brings such memories flooding back. It's hard to believe, after over fifty years of motorcycle and car use, that we used to undertake such lengthy cycle rides back then!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4