The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Jock, it's ChrisF who is off to Cuckooclockland in the New Year. Myself and Keith (Tetsudofan) are visiting Leipzig (and travelling on Dom's trams) in early April.

Um.  Was the origin of the cuckoo clock not in the Black Forest?  I'm sure that's true.  Michael Portaloo said so on TV.

Chris

• Like 9

Ahh, nativities. I can't remember any of mine, but my younger brother did one at school where the whole going to the Inn thing was done as a song. It took us quite a long time to work out who Travis was- "Knock knock knock it's Travis at the door". Took even longer to convince him that there's no mention of a Travis in the nativity story and the word he was probably looking for was travellers.

Starter motors- if the motor is jammed you should still here the solenoid click. If you can't I'd suggest it's the solenoid that's stuck/ dead. Mind you that might not apply to new stuff.

One of my old Land Rovers had a lump of wood, solenoid bashing for the use of in the tool kit (and a blow torch in lieu of glow plugs, although a heat gun was preferred if a mains socket was nearby). Reassuring lack of things to drain a battery though- no interior lights, clock, alarm... it's got some lights on the front, some on the back, a heater and that's about it! Plus glow plugs (turn key position 1... wait 15s... turn key all the way and hope) and a starter motor of course.  

Nice to know that I'd just stumbled in on a blip in Melbourne's normally friendly nature- the general feeling amongst people I know is that Aus is a pretty safe (at least from other humans) place to be.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Um.  Was the origin of the cuckoo clock not in the Black Forest?  I'm sure that's true.  Michael Portaloo said so on TV.

Chris

I don't know what Mr P said but we once went to some place called Titisee that claimed that be the original home of the cuckoo clock.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Other options rocking van back and forth in second gear, check terminals not broken, earth lead from engine not broken or disconnected or attempt to steal has affected ignition switch connections. After that it is multimeter time.

Forgot check ECU connection for dirt or damp

Edited by skipepsi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A pity we may not listen to any music while driving trams

While you may not listen to music while driving some of our passengers find themselves obliged to do so.

Various Christmas traditions re-emerge every year.  A decorated tram (The Christmas Tram) is sponsored on route 35 City Circle every year, always with a different design, and usually with Santa and his Elves on board nominated trips dispensing goodies.  Drivers are not disciplined for wearing reasonable seasonal additions to their uniform such as soft antlers, red hats and such like and even, with depot supervisor's permission, a full Santa suit.  At least one driver uses the PA to sing carols and invites his passengers to join in.  Whether that's "Music to your ears" is very much a matter of personal taste ;)

the general feeling amongst people I know is that Aus is a pretty safe (at least from other humans) place to be.

I might have mistakenly credited Jock before.  Oops.  I'm tired!  

Australia's major cities are very safe indeed notwithstanding events a year ago in Sydney.  But just like many other cities there are a few suburbs you could usefully stay away from.  Not that the average tourist would venture to them anyway but Sydney's outer west is troubled and parts of Melbourne's outer north and west likewise.  There are some very rural areas where few people ever go which remain definitely unsafe for tourists.  With dangers ranging from feral crocodiles to alcohol-fuelled indigenous folk (who allegedly have no tolerance to Whitefella's grog) it's wise to take local advice and a guide before trekking into the northern and western outback.  Alice Springs and Darwin can be less than safe at times for the same reasons.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry....

With my old bangers its usually a Bad Earth. Always worth trying to check the earth lead from the battery is hitting bare metal.

dh

My previous Freelander had an intermittent starting problem. Fortunately it turned into a permanent one on my drive not somewhere remote. The Land Rover rescue man arrived and assured me it would be an earth fault and wouldn't take long. After a couple of minutes he said it wasn't an earth fault. He diagnosed a faulty winding on he starter motor and arranged everything with the local dealer. I got a loan car too! One of my neighbours had a van serice contract with Renault. Not amused when the loan vehicle was a Clio hatchback.
  • Like 2

Duncan, despite all the electrics being switched off there are still things 'going on' in modern cars and vans that can drain the battery such as alarm systems. The only solution usually is a new battery, the battery in your car is probably the original, I don't know how old your car is but batteries tend to last 5-10 years depending on usage.

In "reasonable climes perhaps" :) Here in Minnesota as with other northern parts of the US, if we get our normal winters, the extreme differences in annual temperatures together with the added stress/strain on the battery trying to crank a car that's been sitting in overnight temperatures that are often in the -15C range for extended periods, tends to significantly reduce the lifespan of most car batteries. :O

On the A3: whilst I don't wish the delays on all those impacted, it's heartening, in some perverse way, to see the A3 still being the complete bottleneck/cock-up that it was back in prehistoric times when I still lived in Weybridge and drove that blasted mess lovely highway to the Waterloo area on a daily basis - god bless the Tolworth roundabout - HAR HAR!

Hello HUMP day :declare:

Again, NOTHING to report from yesterday, save I DID see the sun at lunch time when I was allowed to escape the basement dungeon to go get some lunch!

The "cloud service" that the client is using managed to screw up a simple system restart on the production servers on Monday late afternoon, and took them until yesterday mid-afternoon to get us access again. Gave the client management a bit of a wakeup call as they are facing going live on Jan. 4th :jester:

I was able to proceed with some of the development work I'm doing (separate server), but setup of the production system severely curtailed, and my deployment of finished work stopped. Oh well, not really "my" problem!

Continues to be unseasonably warm on Long Island with 6C and sunny on the drive in with a high of 11 expected.

Heading over the HUMP, take care everyeone.

• Like 1

My Dad broke his wrist using his. His rationale was that, living on a hill, he could easily bump start it, and there was always the handle....I got and fitted the necessary starter motor.

Ed

So did my father trying to help a friend start a Jag. This friend thought he would help by pulling the starter knob at the wrong moment.

Incidentally, our local bus company bought a 1920's Leyland Lion which had a starting handle and the drivers refused to drive it until a starter motor was fitted. I don't blame them! 

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The battery in my car is supposed to cope with UK winter starting but we are still experiencing 12 to 14C here.

Did you put your winter tyres on?

That would explain the clement temperatures.

• Like 1

Talking of School Nativity Plays when my Granddaughter Isla was three she appeared in her first play as an angel. Her mum is deputy head of the school and arranged things to sit with us and watch Isla.

At one point SWMBO whispered to our daughter "doesn't it make you proud to be a parent?".

Isla chose this moment to start picking her nose :yes: :yes:

Dave

• Like 4

When exactly will you be here, Bill? I'm asking because I could preview which shifts I'd have then.

Dom,

We're booked into the Intercity Hotel on 6 and 7 April, arriving from Berlin and departing to Frankfurt. We haven't booked the trains yet, but I reckon a good chunk of the Thursday will be spent exploring the Leipzig public transport system. I would also like to adsorb some Leipzig Kultur, and some beer!

Bill

• Like 8

I can still remember my nativity line:"How far is it to Bethlehem, muvver?"Jock, it's ChrisF who is off to Cuckooclockland in the New Year. Myself and Keith (Tetsudofan) are visiting Leipzig (and travelling on Dom's trams) in early April.Phil, door and string?Bill

Sorry Bill, what a fool! That's what I get for posting when I'm so tired that my eyes were drooping, well that's my excuse anyway.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Chris

Chris, the sentiments still stand, even if I sent them to the wrong person! How embarrassing,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

some place called Titisee

-snigger-

Stop that laughing at the back!

Wiesbaden claims to have the worlds biggest:

http://www.wiesbaden.de/tourismus/sehenswertes/bauwerke-gebaeude/Kuckucksuhr.php

I am quite late on parade today.  I didn't get a chance this morning - the weather can best be described as "disgusting".  It is grey, wet and very mild for the time of year.

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone...

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The tooth problem is no more, I went to clean my teeth and almost as soon as the brush touched it it fell out, and it didn't even hurt. Now to make an appointment with the dentist for a bit of root canal work in the new year. I was talking with someone about the car battery problem and he said he had a similar experience and couldn't find the fault. He ended up contacting the main dealer and it turned out that the immobiliser was stopping it from restarting because the battery had been removed without disabling the alarm/immobiliser.

• Like 1