The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening. 

A day of dryness (outside..) but a very thin wind indeed.  Busy as you might expect at work, not so many Lions of Sea fitted up today, but a lot of goods inwards closely followed by goods outwards!  We are expanding our modest property after the non-denominational holiday period, we could have done with it now. 

Here's hoping the good news continues for those who ail.  Ale would help too, possibly!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

My day yesterday was a little long, really. I had been awake since 4.15 GMT and by the time I got to St Pancreas that was already 9 hours, with more travel ahead. I then somehow managed 2 hrs with Deb's mother without actually strangling her. I lost count of how many times she asked when I'd be back. "In the Spring" was the consistent answer. I cut and ran at 16.30, heading for the 17.20 Waterloo to Exeter. The 18.03 from Padlington would have got me into Devon sooner, but I rightly guessed the SWT item would be lightly loaded in first class, and it was indeed so. Changing at St David's gave me 45 mins to wait, so I had a couple of pints in the Great Western.

Sherry met me at Torre and we came home for a late dinner, which sadly lay on my tummy for quite some hours, so I did not sleep well.

So today has been a dies non, with a rather tired Dudders. We are off to the Buccaneer shortly.

Great to hear Is has come through her ordeal, and that Simon's news is much better.

I thought it was jewellery, i.e. products of a jeweller.

Hope your day has done as required.

Glad you enjoyed a few beers in the Grest Western. It's not as tidy as it used to be and I suspect it's life won't be that much longer but still serves a great pint. At least the Wetherspoons nearby is the best one architecturally in the country IMHO

• RMweb Premium

Sheila was dropped off for her Christmas meal with her Zumba buddies so I don't expect to see her much before 11:00 tonight so I can catch up on a few tasks that I've put on hold. Like Inspecting all the goodies that I picked up at the Manchester show last weekend, I've plenty to look at!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Tis true. Sorry Dom, but I am prone to minor mods to words as seems appropriate. Bluebottle and Tony S are right. Although I am also prone to hijacking vaguely similar words too. The architect was not impressed by being referred to as the architrave. Little things famously absorb little minds!

• Like 12

The architect was not impressed by being referred to as the architrave.

It's unfortunate that he found it slightly irrigating, but at this tincture I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it.

EDIT: BTW, Our daughter and her husband are architects, but I have a bad habit of referring to them as artichokes.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just given the Hornby S15 in SR Green that I picked up on Saturday a little run on my test plank, it ran beautifully. Apparently a guy bought last week, took it home then returned it to the shop a couple of days later saying he didn't like it. When he offered it me for £90.00, I couldn't get my hand in my pocket quick enough. It was the only one that I saw at the show too! It must have been waiting for me! The only thing I could find wrong with it, was that the motion had got a generous amount of oil on it, soon wiped off though.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Best not mention the dozen or so kits I picked up as well then eh? At what I think we're original prices from about 20 years ago!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I find it's easy to tell the difference between Americans and Canadians.  I love Americans but I couldn't eat a whole one.  The others usually reply warmly having been successfully distinguished from their southern neighbours with the question "So - how is Canadia these days?"

Travelling home from Attendance one night recently I met a couple of lovely young Canadans (who come from Canada, not Canadia which is where Canadians live ......  :no: ) both blonde, chatty, almost six-foot tall girls in their twenties who managed to engage the entire carriage in conversation.  Turns out one has lived locally for a couple of years after meeting a moose-hunting Aussie chap over there (!!!) and the other was her sister out to visit for a month.  And very obviously seeking her own trophy guy to whisk back home / stay out with.  Most of the passengers that night became aware, as the journey progressed, of Twin Peaks and other Canadan delights  :angel:

Kiwis are easily distinguished from Aussies.  Aside from the fact that they are confused by the money (their $2 coin is larger than their $1 while in Oz the $1 is the larger ..... ) they talk finny and order fush and chups.  :sarcastichand:

Nifty little device arrived in the mail from Hong Kong yesterday allowing me to convert my many cassette tapes into MP3 files without the need to re-purchase the music via iTunes.  Albeit the files aren't clean because they contain tape hiss and other clicks and crackles from the source which in some cases is almost clear of oxide after much enjoyment.  $15 once-off for the box as opposed to around $25 each for a typical iTunes download and about 250 tapes to work through.

Writing the annual snoozeletter today as the hard copies must be in the overseas mail by tonight.  Most recipients in this electronic age are invited by e-card to visit a Dropbox link.  How times change!

• Like 15

Evening all. Pleased to read the positive medical news. My good wishes to you all.

Here things continue to motor on towards the festive period. The play rehearsal did not quite reach the heights of yesterday. In fact we must have repeated the angel dance ten times and got it right once! Me trying to choreograph a dance is a bit of a joke in itself!

I was working at home this afternoon. The head allows the senior staff to take planning time at home. The benefit is you can shut the door and work undisturbed. Apart from a brief trip to the shop and a stop off at the Chinese take away I worked from 1 - 8pm on assessments and planning for next term. Sarah and Amber were at her mum's and didn't get back until later.

In the evening I set up the Hornby Santa Express train set around the bottom of the tree. The little tank engine has an even longer train this year with the 2015 Christmas wagon added to the set. It gives me an excuse to play trains again!

The email inbox has brought news from Cornwall. Two 02's have been dispatched. Great stuff!

• Like 17

Morning all,

Late to bed and very tired - Joanna is panicking about the state of the house now that Epping daughter has decided that it would be better to take her turn at the Boxing Day bash, using our abode as a venue. With both of us being rather 'hors de combat' of late, the place isn't gleaming as she would like! With her shoulder problem, and me being 'post-op' after Saturday, I've today blitzed the bathroom and downstairs loo. This after attending to Archie, dropping granddaughter (the blonde bombshell who is irresistible!) to sixth form before taking Archie to the vets for attention to a recurring issue with his ear. Boy, do they know how to charge? Nice few moments in the car park there though, as a couple of my old long term customers from the garage appeared - although I haven't seen them for over three years, the lads have kept them up to date with my condition. There were kisses and warm, firm handshakes from them (luckily in the right order!) and I felt quite moved and uplifted when they told Joanna how much I was missed - must have done something right! Later today will see the steam cleaning device being used on all the tiled floors, with the fully glazed conservatory windows being washed with the supplied attachment. Joanna thinks she can manage the 'hoovering' as using the new Dyson wand device doesn't hurt her. I will tell her tomorrow to calm down, as I've agreed to fund the 'blonde bombshell's driving test due next month, in return for her giving us a few hours of her youthful vigour next week! I'll have to pack my case in the evening as my hernia operation appointment in Colchester is for 7.30am on Saturday, which means a very early start for us. Although the surgeon is confident it will require just one day, he did say that they would keep me in if any complications arise. Obviously, I'll be 'off-air' for all of Saturday, but hope to be able to post something on Sunday.

Pete (trisonic), it occurs to me that your recent post about the Bass and Bach might make for some interesting listening, if you get it together, perhaps you could set it to play on here? I do however have the same opinion of 'Hark the Herald Angels.........'

Mike (60860), I don't know if you subscribe to the 'Historic Environment Scotland' Newsletter - the recent one I received states that they are holding a 12 week public consultation on their corporate plan to safeguard and promote Scotland's historic environment for the next three years. I wondered if you had any dealings with them, and what you feel about their replacement of the two previous bodies (Historic Scotland and RCAHMS) that were responsible? They've also announced, amongst lots of other things, a new web site for Edinburgh Castle which looks good at first glance!

Ian (OD), glad you are now enjoying the tender ministrations of your lovely wife, after such a trek (Especially after the stop at ex-MiL's). I believe you hope to pass some kind of payment across the counter of that well known emporium in Camborne, in exchange for something that you will hopefully share with us at some point?

Dom, thanks for the steam loco images, very nice shots indeed and a change from the usual electric fare. Not sure that those tank locos are as attractive as the equally large 'Whitelegg' Baltic tanks that used to run on the G&SWR.

Running out of steam myself now, but I'll try to find time to post tomorrow. It would be good to hear how John got on today, and as usual, best wishes to all our poorly members. Hope the 'E' happens for our working contingent,

Kind regards,

Jock,

G'night Pete! G'night all those counting sheep!

• Like 2

Rick,

Any chance of the web site address of the Hong Kong site, as I'd like to see if they do a similar one to copy vinyl into the computer?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

you can buy quite cheaply USB record decks. I have one I bought 6 or 7 years ago. You can clean up some of the hiss/scratches etc and they are relatively easy to use.

Pete

I missed my appointment this morning. . . I slept in following a very rough night. No more appointments till January, but blood tests show no problems, and Flu jab postponed till next week.

Best wishes for Saturday, Jock.

Goodnight Everyone . . . .Sleep well.

John

• RMweb Premium

Indeed Pete (LE).  I have a record deck which has a USB plug for exactly that porpoise.  It encodes all the surface noise to the MP3 files which can only partially be cleaned up on home kit but could probably be removed entirely by a professional.

The tape to MP3 device is from eBay user lepidstar888 and described as "Cassette-to-MP3 Converter Tape to USB Flash Disc Audio Capture Player No need PC"  The instructions are in Chinenglish as well.

My record deck is a Crosley item which was obtained via the then employer's Reward & Recognition scheme so I have no idea where it actually came from.  I also can't find it online suggesting it's a discontinued model.  But they do make many others and there are plenty of vinyl players out there with USB sockets to either create and place a file onto a flash drive or to output to another device which will do that.

Oh dear.  I seem to have contracted Dudderisms. ;)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

On the subject of Dudderisms there was a woman taking driving lessons some years ago who said she had asked the instructor if she should put the 'wink scrypers' on as it was raining a bit. She accidentally used her daughters words as she was so used to them.

• RMweb Premium

Last few days filled with a bit of work on CQ and some seasonal stuff so not a lot of time left for catching up but rather to bid a good night and nos da.

Jock, all the best for Saturday.

• Like 6

My father was prone to making up his own words, a bit like OD, but I remember gasps in the cake shop, when I was quite young, as he asked if they had any 'lemon turd carts'! Enter Dr Spooner?

Kind regards and goodnight,

Jock.