The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A question. Who is a sassenach? My highland born grandmother told me they were the people who lived north of the border reevers and south of the highland Scots.

A Sassenach is a Saxon. Or, as we would put it, an Anglo-Saxon.

• Like 1

Morning all, little late on parade this morning- didn't get up in time to read through before I had to head to work. Work PC waking up and so am I, with a coffee. Blowy but dry here this morning.

Great to hear that Is' operation seems to have gone smoothly, Simon has had better news than feared and that Jock has emerged relatively unscathed- I can sympathise with the canula issue, as when I was in hospital last (other than the occasional trip to minor injuries to have various bits stapled/ stitched back together...), probably eight or nine years ago now, I was told that I had "lovely veins" and was asked if I'd mind the student nurse having a go. Five minutes later I had a pretty good idea of what a pin cushion felt like and she still hadn't found it. Still, you've got to learn somehow.

As a newbie here, can I just say how great it is to see the positive attitudes of those who I think it's fair to say don't seem to have been dealt the best of cards in life but are determined to make the best of what they have- keep it up one and all, it's a wonderful antidote to the world as portrayed in the papers, even for those of us who don't really have anything to complain about in life.

Laura's work's do last night, funny enough at a pub I used to frequent is my misspent youth (it was far enough away from home that no-one knew us, but it didn't take too long to get there by Fordson Major). I think it's been spruced up a bit since, she returned (somewhat later than expected, but upright) full of enthusiasm for the food so I think a return visit is in order once the festivities are over. Fortunately someone offered to give her a lift back; the wind had picked up somewhat and returning "over the top" from dropping her off saw a Vmax of all of 45mph flat out so I wasn't in a great rush to go back out. Handily it gave me the chance to do an uninterrupted perusal of online vendors of shiny things, so hopefully that's the tricky one now catered for on the 25th. I'm informed a trip to town is planned on Saturday so hopefully I can tick a few more off the list then.

Have a good day all :)

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

A Sassenach is a Saxon. Or, as we would put it, an Anglo-Saxon.

And similarly in Cornwall they are "Sawsen" (singular) or "Sawsenes" (plural) and the language we know as English (which could be described as Modern Anglo-Saxon) is "Sawsenek" or Saxonage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning from an overcast London.

Last night an evening in adding more locos to the JMRI roster. Its going to be a long job doing this despite many locos already in it.

Another Beattie well tank updated to latest crest and number position. Just requires a little more weathering. This one has had the route headcode discs added.

Its beer night and pizza this evening with an ex work colleague in our 'local'. Haven't been there in over a month so looking forward to Harveys Xmas ale etc.

• Like 13

Delighted that things went well for some of our sufferers yesterday, hopefully John has a similar result today.

I'm surprised that our Welsh contingent haven't mentioned the inability of some BBC reporters (especially those in the sports department) to master even the basics of pronunciation of town/city names in the Principality.

Filthy weather here again this morning and most of yesterday. There was a serpent on the beach this morning. Well, to be precise, a very large conger eel thrown up by the wild seas. The dogs showed a great deal of interest.

The floods along the Shannon kicked in last night, five days after the rain fell. It is a very long river and drains a large proportion of the relatively flat central Ireland. Its northern half is a series of interconnected lakes and these can act as a temporary buffer. When they and their associated flood plain can hold no more, the water has to go somewhere and the first bottleneck is Athlone where the river passes through the town. Once past Portnumna it opens out into Lough Derg and then the problem moves on to Counties Limerick and Clare. The problem on the lower reaches of the Shannon are exacerbated when the ESB have to open the sluices to relieve the pressure on the Hydro-electric systems. With more heavy rain forecast for the next week, things can only get worse.

On that cheerful note I will wish you all the very best. Hope all goes well today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather damp village, but fortunately not as damp as my home county (Cumberland).   The boss has just departed to fat club and I'm off to the model Railway club for the day.

The picture from the Harz are great.    I do think that those large tank engines have a real presence. (The 99 7xxx range).

Mick, interesting about the deer.   I can never remember seeing any growing up in the dales but I saw three very close at Helwith Bridge a couple of weeks ago and  saw one this week grazing among a flock of sheep just before Holme Tunnel while coming over Copy Pit from Todmorden on Tuesday.

As to mispronunciation the one I hate is 'pastawral' rather than 'passtoral'.   It seems to be an affectation among some members of the clergy here in the north.

All the best to everyone and I hope that the invalids continue to improve.

Jamie

• Like 18

I'm surprised that our Welsh contingent haven't mentioned the inability of some BBC reporters (especially those in the sports department) to master even the basics of pronunciation of town/city names in the Principality.

I'm an Englishman living in Wales.

I've tried over the years.

Can't understand a bluddy word!

• RMweb Gold

Your right there. For a short while as a kid I lived in Canada and they do pronounce Quebec as kebeck

Lashing down in crewe today, may try and get to haslington models later for some bits and have some time in the shed, yet another day 'control orders' due to the logs not being able to run from carlisle

Got a feeling tomorrow i may be moved to a chirk-hereford job

• Like 1

So glad to hear that things went well for Is; and Simon's good news is good to hear.

The Border Reivers (spelling, Baz!) were English and Scottish raiders who lived along the border which itself was fairly malleable, at one time stretching as far south as Penrith, I believe.

My pronounciation bugbear is burglary turned to bur-gew-larree, or, possibly worse, for the noun to be turned into the verb burglarize.

Weather sunny at the mo - yesterdat very blustery, cold and wet.

Mal

• Like 14

good day all. fast flying visit. Home in the boring borough today as I have ###### my knee again.

Thanks for all the good info on dealing with HMRC. In the end it took a 15 minute phone call with the rather nice lady removing the erroneous income on the spot and recalculating the tax. £0 balance. Phew. Quite likely she could see the P60 that had been applied to my son's account was wrong. In the end very painless process. Unlike CRA. Bunch of arsebeavers.

Now back under my rock and another day of fun and frolic. err, not.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Very late on parade today. I've been to see the company IT guys and low and behold, my laptop didn't work, YES said I, that's what's happening when I'm out in the field. So he tried a few things, rest my PHONE????? Then declared, it's dead, I'll have to rebuilt it, probably get it back tomorrow. So I had a quick chat with my boss, told him I'm going back home to try and resurrect my OLD laptop, and see where I go from there. Our IT guys are contracted in and they are brilliant, if they can't fix it usually means that it can't be fixed, as I discovered today.

Weather here is Bluddy awful, torrential rain and horrendous traffic. Just fired up my old laptop and made myself a cuppa, now to complete yesterday work.

Sheila's Christmas meal with her Zumba buddies tonight so I'll have the place to myself for most of the evening .

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A belated good morning from Estuary-Land. Glad to hear that those undergoing medical procedures or tests have come through without any bad news, I count myself fortunate that I have reached my 68th year without anything really serious healthwise happening other than the usual aches and pains of growing old and try as I might it seems impossible to shed any weight. Andrew, I dealt with HMRC for most of my working life and I always found them to be helpful and efficient although as privatisation increased it became less so, the initial cause of your concern almost certainly came from an agency employed to do such work on behalf of the HMRC. You didn't say Jock as to whether the item of interest to you in Lidl was the telescopes or the air brush, you will have to be quick as allways with Lidl they won't be there for long. The reason for my visit was for another item but I was too late they had sold out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm an Englishman living in Wales.

I've tried over the years.

Can't understand a bluddy word!

If you fill your mouth h about half full with pebbles and then wait until it has completely filled up with saliva, you will find that pronunciation will be so much easier.

However, I think you will find that in Gogledd, it is pronounced 'blutty' with a slight nasal whine for good measure.

Some time back the Obergrumpenfuhrer and I both tried to learn Welsh after our Anglicized upbringing at either end of the Prinicipality.

She opted for north welsh, I for south welsh.

We gave up as it was totally impossible to communicate without employing a third party mid walian translator.

I'm Kairdiff born, and Kairdiff bred see?

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to hear of some progress on the medical front for various.

Soup manufacture currently underway in the kitchen with King Edwards forming the potato element - the ones we bought the other day (pre-pack) are the size that used to be fed to pigs, I wonder what happened to proper job ones?  Continuing on the theme of dissatisfaction with the modern world I agree that some pronounciation on the airwaves is atrocious - the one that really winds me up is the wider adoption of the peculiar way of saying harassment which has been turned into some rather guttural form, yuck.

That apart it's currently dry but forecast to rain later, quelle surprise.  But on a much brighter note thanks for the HSB pics Dom - a delightful piece of railway which I found very interesting and photogenic on my visit there 12 years ago.

Have a good day everybody.

• Like 14

Morning all from Scottish HQ!

Weather sunny at the mo - yesterdat very blustery, cold and wet.

I can vouch for both of those... Was out on the ski slope at Hillend last night in rain and wind. Had a couple of fairly spectacular falls, one on the grass to the side of the matting where I slid about 50 yards downhill...

After the busy period leading up to yesterday's debate, we're now hopefully in slightly quieter times, but you never know. Work Christmas lunch tomorrow, followed by a trip to Durham for a carol service in the Cathedral and another Christmas dinner afterwards! I'll be like the Vicar of Dibley forcing down that final sprout...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Well I've managed to resurrect my old laptop, completed all of yesterday's work and now I'm off to the Wirral.

Going back to previous conversations about Canada. My brother lives over there, has done for over 20 years, to me he sounds Canadian, to the Canadians he sound English. However, when ever he's crossed over into Quebec and speaks to the locals they'll talk to him in English, but any other Canadians are expected to speak to them in French! He says its like that all over Quebec, and thinks it's because they think he's a tourist! They can also tell the difference between Americans and Canadians accents and will speak to Americans in English too!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

another Christmas dinner afterwards! I'll be like the Vicar of Dibley forcing down that final sprout...

If it becomes too much to bear. please remember I am a starving hippo and that I am available to stand in at Christmas parties, lunches, wakes,  weddings or any other social gathering involving food and drink at very competitive rates.

If it's a kiddies tea party, i'll even do my world famous tail twirling for free!

Unlike many of my rivals, I do not add a surcharge for the consumption of high volumes of sprouts.

• Like 5

Somewhat late arriving today - various jobs were considered to be more important by SWMBO such as obtaining milk and bread - can you guess who was elected to go out into cold, wet, windy and dark to get them? Now that I'm back in the warm and dry it is blue sky and a shiny yellow thing has made an appearance !

Glad to hear that those who had visits and more to the hospital are all in recovery or progressing mode - lond may they continue to improve.

Do they still use “Eh?” as a punctuation in the West?

I’ve only been to eastern Canada and the Canadian accent there is about as far as you can get from the generic American (which is just as regional as any other in the World).

When in Halifax, I was advised by a local that we should get “oot and aboot in a boot” to go fishing.

Best, Pete.

• Like 10