The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Tony,

I couldn't spot sauerkraut in my Lidl's this afternoon.  However there is a German grocer in Borough Market.

Bill

The German Deli shop at 3 Park Street has a better selection than the stall and is open longer hours. It is only a one minute walk from the Market. You can also get Leberkäse, Bratwurst, Stollen and much more

However, I have also bought sauerkraut at Sainsburys where it is among the pickles.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

I couldn't spot sauerkraut in my Lidl's this afternoon. However there is a German grocer in Borough Market.

Bill

I have found that Waitrose sell it and Amazon have it online. Tesco have a large range of Polish products at a nearby store, whether this includes sauerkraut or not will need to be investigated. As lots of people have decided to grace us with their company this Christmas I am developing a cunning plan whereby Matthew does some Dutch winter recipes. They seem to involve quite a lot of mashed potato with assorted mashed vegetables with considerable amounts of pork products applied. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

When we first moved to this area getting any Asian products was almost impossible but there were quite a few shops selling central European food products in Westcliff. They seem to have disappeared.

• RMweb Premium

There's a stall doing Polish food in Basildon market. I must admit that I have acquired a taste for Polish produce, as my waistline testifies. The local Tesco's as Tony pointed out has a wide selection of Polish cuisine, I like the smoked pork loin and the cream cheese in particular. I was talking to my sister this evening discussing the arrangements for Christmas and I told her of the filter teapot that I had treated myself to and she suggested trying tea from Pattiserie Valerie. I had never heard of them before but they are a chain of tea and cake shops that has been going since 1928 and there is one local to me as well so I'm going to give it a try. My sister lives at Kirby Cross in Jocks neck of the woods so Jock has a local one as well. Hopefully there is one in Telford as it is a tea and cake shop. Back to the family history, as Light Engine pointed out passenger lists can be very useful but as I had many relatives involved in the merchant marine they might not appear on passenger lists and anyway I have no information as to exactly who and when they travelled all I know is that one branch of the family is now Australian. I have found some interesting relatives in my research including one hung for piracy and another who was employed as a spy by the British government during the French revolution. Thats enough of my ramblings tonight so goodnight all.

• Like 15

Ian Dury was born in Harrow, Middlesex but spent his early years in the west country being a 'war baby' (b. 1942). After the war he and his mother went to live with an aunt in Cranham hence the Romford connection. He obviously knew Romford well as the newsagents in the Quadrant arcade gets a mention in one of his songs.

Anyone who can write a song about “Billericay Dickie” has to have lived in Essex.........................

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 4

Morning all,

A few more little chores done this afternoon, and a trip to the library to pick up a reserved railway book. Joanna and No2 arrived back at tea-time, tired but happy with their purchases -I didn't ask!

Dave(runs-as-required), lovely to see you posting on ERs; you'll find them a friendly and supportive group of people from diverse backgrounds. Joanna and I are coming very close to the conclusion that we are no longer fit enough to look after the young great grandchildren on an overnight basis. (Freddie at four and a half isn't so bad as he is getting fairly self sufficient). With us, the sleep deprivation is caused by Joanna having to regularly get up and check they're still breathing! This of course wakes me in the process. Thanks for reminding me of Ian Dury's song in your further post - I did at one time have something in common with him : I had a love affair with a Nina in the early seventies, and I drove a Cortina (company car)!

Mike(60860), I like your choice of St Andrews Day dinner - a practice run for your Burns Supper next month? I must confess that I eat the dish several times a year (H, N & T is Haggis, Neeps and Tatties for those who require elucidation), now that you can have authentic ones sent from Scotland overnight. My father was a vegetarian in later life, and mum used to make him a vegetable based version and his favourite accompaniment was Drambuie gravy.

Ian (Abel), sorry to hear that both you and Jemma suffered from the extreme weather conditions. Thank goodness your lass wasn't injured in the accident - car bodies are much easier to mend than human ones!

Baz, hope the nightcap works as well for you as it does for me. All being well, the medication will continue to improve how you feel as the week progresses - please try not to over tire yourself, most of your customers would understand if you are ill, and you've got plenty of witnesses to your condition on here!

PhilJW, there was a 'Patisserie Valerie' in the Culver Square precinct in Colchester but I haven't been there for some time so I'm not sure if it's still there. You would however, be more likely to find me outside the 'Bratwurst' stall that is currently set up in Lion Walk! Joanna and I have visited Poland often, and I love to start the day with a Polish breakfast of various cold meats, sausage, cheese and pickles - she isn't so keen. My eldest grandson has a close friend of many years whose mum is Polish, and each time we went, we were charged with bringing her a particular type of local sausage back. Not certain that it was a legal act, so I used to triple wrap it (strong odour!) and carried it in my camera bag as if it were my lunch/dinner.

Dave(TG), more atmospheric shots of the current season - I particularly like the speed that you set the camera at for the first image, enhancing the 'torrent' effect. Hope that 'Is' feels reasonably fit at the moment - is she able to maintain her appetite as the loss of same is a common side effect of the chemo that I struggle with?

Best wishes once more to our ailing digital friends, hope you all get over the hump in one piece, which I notice we've just reached! The week will soon be over again! More work on posting items on eBay later today, whilst I have the free listing. Pleased to have received a couple of queries on model kits I only posted yesterday - I await the offers!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night owls!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

We have a branch of patisserie Valerie locally and have been in a couple of times for a snack and a cuppa - nothing to do with what they might sell for d-i-y tea but the stuff they serve is abysmal, definitely the work of a gnat (the service is carp too but that's a different story - usually a very long one!).

G'night all

Evening all.

A good trip with Ryanair to Faro and a suitable beverage is now by my side.

Late to the black humour discussion. I apologise if I've  posted this before.

A friend of mine had a "one under" whilst travelling at over 100mph through Thirsk.

When the paramedics turned up with a defibrillator his response was "you won't  need one of those".

"Why?" they asked.

"Because he's  here, here and there." pointing down the track into the distance.

That was his way of dealing with it. He'd already had a near miss in the past and knew something would happen at sometime

He should've  been the guard on the Ealing derailment but didn't work the turn as his previous shift the night before had ovverrun and didn't have sufficient rest time to take up his duty the next day.

Anyway, as always, I try to end on a high note.

In my case, it's the weather. It's quite nice here!

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

Pleased to read that you got there safely and appear to have settled right into the poolside routine! Your post reminded me, for some reason, of an incident in Epping high street many years ago, when a careless lady knocked me off my motorcycle when reversing out onto the main road without due care and attention. My very delicate parts unfortunately met the petrol tank with some force, and while I was lying on the road trying to get my breath back, the culprit bent over me (cue reek of alcohol!) and uttered the immortal words "are you all right?". My reply, when I could, would have made AndrewC proud, and I certainly can't repeat it on here! She got her just deserts though, because all this happened outside Epping police station, and I was quite happy to see the crystals change colour when she blew in the little bag that was presented by one of the boys in blue.

Have a great rest of your break mate,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 17

I agree with BoD about the colour of the sky at sunset. . . I'm a couple of miles south and had a (little)bit of blue sky, but lots of dark cloud and the air was almost fluorescing pink. . . . .best bit of the day.

Goodnight Everyone . . . .  Sleep well.

John

• Like 3

The local news has just reported that mountain rescue teams are searching for a couple of tourists in the mountains above North Vancouver. They apparently went for a hike, leaving at about 3.30, when it's fully dark by 5.00.

You get used to it, but just how close the wilderness is to 'civilisation' here comes as a shock to begin with. Many people have died looking down on the lights of Vancouver. I can stand at our front window, look across the inlet to the houses on the north shore and think "People there could walk out of their back yards in a line to the North Pole and not meet another person.". Bears and cougars, yes, but no people.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Oh.

Seems it never rains but it pours.

The last thing I wanted to be doing today was positing an obituary on RMweb.  But when a friend and fellow modeller who single-handedly was responsible for introducing me to this whole online thing passes .....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105648-bob-heath-robert-on-ymr/?p=2112912

Edit = new link after topics merged

Edited by Gwiwer

Good morning one and all

"The server threw an exception", says the laptop.  Hmmm.  I know what a server is, it's a socking great computer that talks to other computers but what is an exception?  We may never know but, for the time being at least, it does not matter since at the second time of asking my browser came to life and enabled me to communicate once more.  In Utopia, not to be confused with Switzerland, computers would present intelligible messages when commanded.

Last night I went to an interesting talk which I have to write up for the LCGB bulletin.  It was given by Chris Banks and was the sixth in his series of surveys of engine sheds.   His treatment of the alphabet is cavalier to say the least, with Stewarts Lane coming before Old Oak Common, but he has a wonderful collection of slides which evoke both the days of steam as we would like to remember them and the appalling ash-strewn conditions as the end drew near.  Hey, I like that bit: perhaps I will use it in the report.

Today was supposed to see me visiting Dr Colo-Rectal but he cancelled the clinic.  Never mind, it has been rearranged  and will share the day with the feast of Epiphany so I can do something useful instead.  Not so yesterday: when I returned from the bank I looked at the printed record of the transaction I had just performed and found that I had done it wrongly, despite my being certain that I had touched the right parts of the screen.  So it was back to the bank, striding relatively briskly, to correct my error.  I wonder how long it will be before I get a letter telling me that there has been suspicious activity on my account?

To all who ail, let health prevail

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Dry outside but not exactly sunny either. Coffee brewed, because sleepy yet.

The German Deli shop at 3 Park Street has a better selection than the stall and is open longer hours. It is only a one minute walk from the Market. You can also get Leberkäse, Bratwurst, Stollen and much more

All the good stuff's there then, seems like!  :yes:

• Like 7

Morning All,

Sorry to hear about Bob Heath - I must admit that I didn't know about YMR.

The weather is once again fairly mild.  The wind has dropped considerably and it is currently dry.

I am constantly surprised by some peoples treatment of the "Wilderness" - I guess it is largely due to the lack of common sense that seems to prevail in everyday life.  I am not trying to be arrogant here - because accidents call always happen but if you go prepared then the likelihood decreases to an acceptible risk.

I have told the story here before, but a few years ago, I "rescued" a family of four from the lower slopes of Ingleborough.  They were all in T-shirts and flip flops on a bright summers day - then the fog came down.  It could have gone really pear-shaped for them if we hadn't come stumbling out of the mist!

I see Dom has changed his username!

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 19