The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning!

Kids go back to school today! Cheers!

New York area: 86f/Sunny expected today.

Live here if you want to play tennis........honestly, why do you think I enjoy living here? But then I like it when it rains too - which is unlikely this week.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Better to have one guy off sick for a couple of days than the whole department!

Wish my employers thought that way! In winter our air conditioning is a germ distribution system due to the number of people in work sniffing and sneezing with colds/flu.

• RMweb Gold

It has turned from dull and damp to cold and pouring with rain here. I think I'll do the shopping now and take Robbie later. He doesn't mind about the rain though. I have a substantial shopping list. We have invited friends over next Saturday and my wife has decided that we should prepare an Indian meal. Now I know that my wife is very busy this week so I'll be doing the advance cooking.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

It's chucking down here as well. In a sense, I think our rabbits can consider themselves lucky in that they can sleep as long as they want on a day like this if they feel like it - after all, it's us who keep them fed and their enclosure tidy! :lol:

In winter our air conditioning is a germ distribution system due to the number of people in work sniffing and sneezing with colds/flu.

I know what you mean. As a former colleague of mine used to say, one guy peels an orange in the building and everyone smells it.

Well, that was almost the analogy...

• RMweb Premium

As a former colleague of mine used to say, one guy peels an orange in the building and everyone smells it.

We had an instance where a colleague (now left) was seriously allergic to the juice from the zest of citrus fruits, and because of the way in which the air conditioning worked, the peeling of citrus fruits had to be banned - we all had to sign a declaration to that effect, and a rule was introduced that any citrus fruit for consumption in the office had to be brought in ready peeled and in a plastic bag.

• RMweb Premium

We had an instance where a colleague (now left) was seriously allergic to the juice from the zest of citrus fruits, and because of the way in which the air conditioning worked, the peeling of citrus fruits had to be banned - we all had to sign a declaration to that effect, and a rule was introduced that any citrus fruit for consumption in the office had to be brought in ready peeled and in a plastic bag.

That does sound like a severe case indeed - I never heard about anything similar before, as a matter of fact.

That is certainly an odd one - I haven't heard of that before.

Good job he isn't here because I have just eaten an orange! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Some people sure have a crummy sense of humour... :blink: I just read a bit of news which said that a woman called the police the previous night because she had seen what looked like a person stuck under a parked car, with only the legs having been visible. However, it was then found that some unknown joker had merely taken a pair of trousers and stuffed it with garbage before putting it under the car.

• RMweb Premium

Good job he isn't here because I have just eaten an orange! :lol:

Contravention was a dismissal case, and the rule was enforced even when the lady in question was not at work. She went into anaphylactic shock at the mere sniff of a peeled orange.

However, it was then found that some unknown joker had merely taken a pair of trousers and stuffed it with garbage before putting it under the car.

He he he, that's funny! :lol: - I must have a crummy sense of humour <_<

I was reading a couple of forums over my lunchbreak about the unfortunate failures of 40145 (traction motor flashover) and D1015 (leg out of bed). That must be gut wrenching for the guys that put so much hard work into these locomotives.

Fingers crossed that ( a ) there isn't a third (these things so often come in threes!) and ( b ) both will return to the mainline soon.

• RMweb Premium

Contravention was a dismissal case, and the rule was enforced even when the lady in question was not at work. She went into anaphylactic shock at the mere sniff of a peeled orange.

That does sound tough if she reacted that strongly to it. I really do not envy her one bit for that... :(

He he he, that's funny! :lol: - I must have a crummy sense of humour <_<

Don't worry, I also do every now and then... :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Ha! Your HR Dept. should be shot for hiring that person in the first place (Oh, the irony of it).

Best, Pete.

Possibly, but where does one draw the line? Under current UK employment law, a company cannot discriminate on the grounds of disability.

Possibly, but where does one draw the line? Under current UK employment law, a company cannot discriminate on the grounds of disability.

Well, over here (in the 'States, to be serious for a minute) there are on average 70 applications per job opening - the odds that the favourite, most suited, most qualified being the one with a severe allergic reaction must be unlikely.

To call what has been described here as a "disability" is stretching things don't you think?

I've never heard of anyone having an allergy to Oranges - let alone one this bad. I can think of several air filtration systems that would clean up the air.

I'm sorry but it sounds mischievious to me, that's all - over here a Family with a child with a severe allergic reaction to peanuts (more likely) tried to get a local government ordinance to stop their house neighbours from eating peanuts or peanut butter - it was thrown out, quite rightly in my opinion because otherwise where do you stop?

Anyway just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Pete

I've got to say that I found this very odd when the missive came out as well, and also we were never told who the person was, only that it was a girl or woman, and that was only because the note from the site manager said "she" was a short term employee who had a serious allergy. She was not actually directly employed by my employer, but was an agency sub-contractor, so any investigations as to her state of health would have been the responsibility of the agency. It has all ended now, as she has since left or been moved to another assignment.

I am also classed as "disabled" under current UK legislation and I have diabetes, so I guess that a serious allergy might well fall under the same legislation.

Guest Max Stafford

These days in the UK Pete, applicants are selected less for ability than for the fact that they tick a government box, especially in the public sector.

Managers are largely recruited for their ability to bend to the whim of the senior management and their lack of skill in dealing with their subordinate staff... :rolleyes:

Oh dear, I'm getting cynical again, but it's all based on personal experience. <_<

Dave.

I don't want to come across as unsympathetic - I'm particularly allergic to Poison Ivy over here - but I still do gardening because I take sensible precautions (which is my responsibility).

Going back to the Oranges lady, suppose this:

Another employee has been told he MUST increase his intake of Vitamin C and the doctor has prescribed (amongst other things) the eating of freshly peeled oranges five times per day. Now if he does this in the office he is likely to be fired, OK. So he must go outside to do this. He does it in the office.

However this guy is also a paraplegic in a wheelchair and genuinely disabled.

What does the company do now?

It's a big can of worms.

Best, Pete.

Anyone worked out what the google logo is about today?

Normally hovering over it reveals all but not this one.

Ironically, I googled "Today's Google Doodle" and no-one seems to know. Speculation that it could be in advance of a major announcement tomorrow or just an experiment in html5...

• RMweb Gold

Ironically, I googled "Today's Google Doodle" and no-one seems to know. Speculation that it could be in advance of a major announcement tomorrow or just an experiment in html5...

I had to look at classic view Google to see what it was. I normally have an iGoogle page with a Labrador puppy theme.

Tony