The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all!

Just done a quick google, 11 Rand to the UK pound at the moment. Doesn't sound too bad, Don, if that's 35 Rand! On UK prices you'd get six months Internet for the price of a bottle of cheap brandy! Mind you, if that's Euros, that's very expensive!

How expensive is mobile broadband? (assuming it's available). Over here the "3" network have brought out a great device called a Myfi which is on pay as you go. It's a 3G sim card which generates a wifi signal that you can use for laptop/iPad/phone/netbook etc... But there are lots of available mobile broadband USB devices here too on contract or pay as you go.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Dark, wet and windy here this morning.

I think it's heading your way Mike (if you can be bothered to get out of bed to see it)

What is the opposite of Indian Summer?

R320.00 = +-E35.00

DSTV = R550.00 per month

Crumbs, and I thought things were expensive in the UK...

I'm currently paying £14 a month for my phone line and evening/weekend calls and £10 a month for "up to 20MB/s" broadband (though in reality it's about 14 MB/s), with no cap on downloads. So that's £24/month = R264.

Morning allDark, wet and windy here this morning.I think it's heading your way Mike (if you can be bothered to get out of bed to see it)What is the opposite of Indian Summer?

I refuse to ask how you knew I was replying to posts from bed using my phone. :D

Already here, I think. Ground and rooves are wet, very dark still. Not lashing down but as I'm meant to be playing tennis this afternoon, I'll expect it shortly.

A reasonably good brandy only costs R80.00 a bottle here.

Swings and roundabouts, then. Cheap brandy, expensive internet...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The weather is dull and damp here. I had to dry Robbie after his brief visit to the garden this morning. Drying his paws has been a bit risky for a few days as I had to get a thorn out of his offside rear paw last week and until this morning he has objected to any further inspections.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

It's just stopped raining after twelve hours continuous and at times torrential but more is forecast for later.

Don, price for phone/internet rental does sound quite hefty - is there not a competitive market for phone and broadband service like there is here? I pay £17.99 a month for line with unlimited UK land line calls, and the Broadband and TV on top - but these are optional (and I get them as part of the salary package as I work for a broadband supplier). What about mobile internet? I can see if the price you're mentioning is typical why you might have to think hard about yout priorities if your income drops.

Just waiting to see if I get a letter from the Inland Revenue today asking for a bigger slice of my salary. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11186767 has all the details.

Tony - funny that your spaniel has a paw problem, mine is limping this morning, and she too is declining to let me have a good look. It seems that I missed an article relating to "Save The Sussex Spaniel" in the Mail on Sunday last week. They really are getting quite rare now, and I am quite proud to have her.

I'll check back later

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Relatively few oktas in these parts and it's quite bright. It was lashing down yesterday evening so we didn't miss out. Doesn't seem to be much occurring, or planned to occur, today so...

Cheers

Dave

I pay around 50€ a month for my phone/ internet connection - it isn't the cheapest because I am with the Telekom, but there are very limited nodes available for customers with other providers and given that the local loop has to be maintained exclusively by the Telekom (it's their infrastructure) they give preference to their customers. I have never had any trouble with them, and have found their service to be very good and reliable. For my 50€, I get 16Mbit flat-rate broadband, and free national and international calls (not to every country - but pretty much every country in Europe together with the USA and Australia)

The weather has turned foul here - grey and rainy, just as forecast. It appears that cold season is arriving too, I've just sent one guy home - he looked terrible! :wacko:

Guest Max Stafford

You're a nice manager Robert. Here, they'd just flog the poor bloke a bit harder! :lol:

Hope you're all feeling better than that today!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - quite grey here now. I too am wondering if I will get a letter telling me I owe the IR back tax - I hope not, I really don't fancy paying an extra £100 month next year for their cock up. I suppose I could be one of the lucky ones due a refund (yea right), naturally the refunds are nowhere near as much as what they say people have underpaid.....

As my crunchy topped spiced apple cake was a bit of a hit with my visitors (including my wife - what does she want? cue Jaws music) another one will have to be made so I can have some.

Stops me having to do some model railway stuff though (now running out of excuses)

• RMweb Premium

As my crunchy topped spiced apple cake was a bit of a hit with my visitors (including my wife - what does she want? cue Jaws music) another one will have to be made so I can have some.

Shame there's not a way to share it online - sounds delicious though I'd imagine that it's a bit sugary, so perhaps for me better not to share at all.

Just followed some advice on a different thread about getting the best out of RM Web, and am now surfing it in Safari which seems to be a whole lot better than IE8 - but so far, I'm not brave enough to use it for all my normal daily applications, but will be starting soon as it might well get round some of the "issues" that seem to be on the web about security of IE in general.

• RMweb Premium

I pay around 50€ a month for my phone/ internet connection - it isn't the cheapest because I am with the Telekom, but there are very limited nodes available for customers with other providers and given that the local loop has to be maintained exclusively by the Telekom (it's their infrastructure) they give preference to their customers. I have never had any trouble with them, and have found their service to be very good and reliable. For my 50€, I get 16Mbit flat-rate broadband, and free national and international calls (not to every country - but pretty much every country in Europe together with the USA and Australia)

We also have a combined 16 Mbit DSL and phone flat rate from the Telekom - and we never had any trouble with them either.