The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ahh Warley. Never has one show generated such divisiveness. I used to really enjoy it but too many bad experiences. For me the last straw was some cockwomble with his rucksack that bashed my camera several years back while I was trying to take a photo. Either a buckle or something sticking out was hard enough to break the UV filter. At least it protected the lens. The idiot was totally ignorant of what he'd done, despite the stream of profanity aimed in his direction. Sadly by the time I managed to recover myself he'd vanished into the crowd. Never saw him again for the rest of the day. These days I can't justify the cost of travel and entrance for what is a big scrum of unwashed, ill mannered, muppets. I can get that on the tube for free as part of my Oyster card benefits. Its not as if you can actually stand and enjoy the layouts like you can at a smaller less crowded show. It may be the biggest showcase for the hobby but for me the downsides outweigh the benefit.

• RMweb Gold

Ahh Warley. Never has one show generated such divisiveness. I used to really enjoy it but too many bad experiences. For me the last straw was some cockwomble with his rucksack that bashed my camera several years back while I was trying to take a photo. Either a buckle or something sticking out was hard enough to break the UV filter. At least it protected the lens. The idiot was totally ignorant of what he'd done, despite the stream of profanity aimed in his direction. Sadly by the time I managed to recover myself he'd vanished into the crowd. Never saw him again for the rest of the day. These days I can't justify the cost of travel and entrance for what is a big scrum of unwashed, ill mannered, muppets. I can get that on the tube for free as part of my Oyster card benefits. Its not as if you can actually stand and enjoy the layouts like you can at a smaller less crowded show. It may be the biggest showcase for the hobby but for me the downsides outweigh the benefit.

Oi!!

I have my annual bath in the hotel on Friday night!!

• Like 1

One great highlight in my life was crossing from Malta to Sicily in 1966 to watch the Targa Florio (it involved a marvellous FS train ride from Catania right across the island via Enna to Cerda, with quite a bit of steam still operating).

What I found was exactly as you described - only on narrow winding Sicilian mountain roads like the Cat & Fiddle or Hartside - and with cars like 330 P4 Ferraris and Porsches weaving amongst the 3 wheeler Apes and the goat herds.

Best of all was coming across the amazing US Chaparral (I think the first car with a wing) being calmly fettled outside a b&b on the course at the outskirts of the village by Jim Hall a big laconic Texan in a 10 gallon hat. He was campaigning Europe in a classic step-side truck with the Chaparral wedged in along with a few bags of tools. He was keen to use me as a go-between to try to find out something of what was going on. He couldn't believe he could just blast it out for a try out, until I and all the locals persuaded him

I was hugely impressed by his capabilities - such a polite old-world gracious guy harbouring all those revolutionary ideas.

dh

Afternoon Dave,

I think it was actually 1967 when Jim Hall surprised the established front runners by winning the Targa Florio in that amazing piece of winged aerodynamics known as the 'Chapparal'. You gave a lovely description of Jim, someone I've always admired as a cutting edge innovative engineer renowned for 'thinking outside the box'! A true gentleman, but I think he was mortified by the bad feeling from other teams, brought about by his amazing ground effect 'fan car'. It was eventually outlawed I believe, but won everything before that!

It must be a lovely vibrant memory for you, thanks for sharing it with us. I've seen Le Mans and the Mille Miglia but, regrettably, never made it to the Targa!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

Yes, very much so; I was embracing yoof kulchur. Although I point-blank refuse to endorse the phrase "It's a big ask." That is too much of an ask. Doh. 

The award is for sticking to a code of using "Sorry, Thank-you, Excuse me and Please." 

The children love it as it is the highest honour they can get. 

Andy

Then why can't we use "honour" as a verb in such cases?

"Big up"? Ugh! 

Thanks Jock for that info about Chapparal the following year; I didn't realise he managed to win!. Porsche were always dominant year after year in Sicily - they even produce a special short wheelbase team of racers for the Targa. They seemed to bring Tuetonic consistency to what was otherwise a very hot blooded event.

The time I was lucky to encounter JH, he was enjoying the whole experience and couldn't believe how much he had to learn about Sicily. He couldn't manage to find the right gearing for his very special transmission in time for the race and ran well down on speed.

Nevertheless he certainly won the crowd over - even eclipsing the vociferous  'Avanti Vaccarella' fans just outside Cerda  in the mountains where I watched the race..

dh

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Dom - 648 335 looks a very similar design (though obviously a 2-car design!) to a single car unit used by the SNCF that I spotted when I was in Carcassonne earlier this year. I was rather taken with it, and ordered a Jouef model of it... One day I might even have time and space to make a short French plank...

You mean the X 73000 family?

800px-Gare_de_Carcassonne_1.JPG

(Photo by "Chris0693", CC 3.0 licence)

Also operated in Germany as Class 641 and in fact, developed in a joint Deutsche Bahn/SNCF procurement project, and, indeed, built by Alstom.

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 12

You mean the X 73000 family?

Gare_de_Carcassonne_1.JPG

Also operated in Germany as Class 641 and in fact, developed in a joint Deutsche Bahn/SNCF procurement project, and, indeed, built by Alstom.

Yup, that's the one! And that's the livery of the model I bought too. I couldn't source one in the UK (Hornby's website being spectacularly unhelpful for trying to buy Jouef models) so I had a nice conversation in French with a lady somewhere in Brittany who sent me one!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Only half hour before beer O clock.

My other half feeling a bit under the weather but have checked to see whats on in the Rake in borough market and letting her know that Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is on has made her feel so much better thats shes up for visiting the place tonight. :drink_mini:

Sorry Andrew for not giving you enough notice.

• Like 10

Late® check in as I was on a business call first thing - must get these things arranged better!

Little to report from yesterday, save a nice dinner with Trevor who treated me, in exchange for an interview about my family history, childhood memories and other information as part of an essay for his Masters. Seemed like a good trade to me - I get to ramble on, and he provides food and drink :)

POE day today as tomorrow is the flagship US holiday aka Thanksgiving. Have some lights to hang around the front of the house, a Pecan Pie to make, and various and sundry other chores. We're the kids (Trevor and Jemma), Mil, and a couple of good friends joining us tomorrow. Hopefully our friends will make it this year, as it was a year ago they had to beg-off since he had a heart attack and was whisked in to hospital for a bypass. We've told him before he sure goes to great lengths to avoid Thanksgiving with us!! :jester:  :O

3 and overcast when I got the newspaper, 7 now and expecting 9 for a high, before it drops overnight with chance of snow.

Tally-ho those who are heading for Warley, the rest of you can, well, relax :)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Back again for a check in before teatime.

Car appears to be fine, in fact it's as good as new - so that's one less thing.  However, as it has taken so long, I plan to claim back all the costs that I have paid (tax, insurance, recovery) and also 12 litres of fuel which was used up in running the car from time to time, to keep the battery charged.  Also strange things seem to have happened to the radio/satnav, as it appears to have gone back to all the factory settings - hey ho, back to the user guide.

Back tomorrow

Stewart

• Like 1

Only half hour before beer O clock.

My other half feeling a bit under the weather but have checked to see whats on in the Rake in borough market and letting her know that Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is on has made her feel so much better thats shes up for visiting the place tonight. :drink_mini:

Sorry Andrew for not giving you enough notice.

No worries. I'm not in Central London today anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Quick trip to collect a bit of Cwmafon (Mike Edges other layout) to take to Warley as his big car is U/S.

Unbelievably there are lockers for rucksacks at the NEC but they don't seem to be used that much.. as for personal hygiene - well there is not a lot the club can do about that unless we invest in a disinfectant spray...

Early to bed tonight as I have to get to the NEC by 11am tomorrow - may will need beer later no doubt and a long, warm shower.

Sleep well everyone

Baz

• Like 18

And I studied Maths in there - I recall that the lifts were incredibly fast by the standards of the time - I think the tutorial room was about 12 floors up.

Yes, they were extremely fast. I was up in Pooter Science from 74 to 76. Floor 14 IIRC.

Departure from Strathclyde was hastened by the imminent arrival of #1 daughter which made it necessary for me to get a real job. Nurses don't get paid a lot (at least they didn't then) but Lorna was earning quite a bit more than me :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Jock67B, on 25 Nov 2015 - 15:54, said:

Afternoon Dave,

I think it was actually 1967 when Jim Hall surprised the established front runners by winning the Targa Florio in that amazing piece of winged aerodynamics known as the 'Chapparal'. You gave a lovely description of Jim, someone I've always admired as a cutting edge innovative engineer renowned for 'thinking outside the box'! A true gentleman, but I think he was mortified by the bad feeling from other teams, brought about by his amazing ground effect 'fan car'. It was eventually outlawed I believe, but won everything before that!

It must be a lovely vibrant memory for you, thanks for sharing it with us. I've seen Le Mans and the Mille Miglia but, regrettably, never made it to the Targa!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Sorry Jock, but http://www.wsrp.cz/wsc1967.html#5. RAR has quoted Ferrari P4s, which were the 1967 car - it's easy, P2 in '65, P3 in '66, P4 in '67 - so your 1967 theory holds water. Not least because the 1966 Chaparral 2D came to Europe but did not run in Sicily. And it didn't have a wing. The 1967 2F was a marvellous device, which did win at Brands Hatch.

Seeing Jim Hall on the steps of Goodwood House with Charles March in 2003 at the FOS meting was one of life's moments.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Another day of persuading radio control equipment into small steam locomotives, which always seem to be just too small to fit the stuff into, I mean, who designed this fit-up....oh....that'll be me then! 

Supportive wishes to those still ailing, and few new issues popped up I see, sorry to hear such news as always.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's just been a Christmasy advert on the TV which was interrupted by a change of service reminder.

I read it thus: This service will be changed due to a reindeer.

So easlly influenced...

post-14049-0-39986200-1448482941.jpg

• Like 1

Warley s a big no-no for me as it's the place - the NEC is seriously over hyped and as such very expensive. In 2009 (my only visit) Killibegs took Clinkerford there and it was one of the layouts I wanted to see. I did spend quite a bit of time leaning on one of the adjacent barriers. But I didn't like the scrummage conditions in general.

I was knackered the next day and not much good on the Monday - so I, too, can live without it.

Edited by Coombe Barton

Had a great day apart from the journey home. I ended up following a 'professional driver' in a 7.5 ton truck for 45 minutes who had his fog lights on. The same cockwomble indicated right at a roundabout and proceeded straight on very nearly taking the front off my vehicle. All this after the passenger of a car behind me had got out at a set of traffic lights to berate me for not exceeding the speed limit.

Ian - Not the news you needed. I just hope that the surgery isn't major or cause other complications.

Dom - An excellent set of photos to go along with the narrative of an area that I never visited.

Wareley won't be getting my attendance this weekend. I could do with some time to myself for a change.