The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

What the press don't tell you is that it been trained to swallow model boats, which are then held to ransom by the Stationmaster.

He naturally, is stroking a cat!

I naturally checked the date of that article.

Overcast and slightly windy here in sunny Teignmouth today.

Nice surprise yesterday. A letter dropped through the letterbox and on opening it the bank concerned told me that due to an error in their procedures for the above mentioned period we need to refund you £523. It didnt mention PPI it just said that because of their mistake they shouldnt have taken this money during the period of my loan. This loan ended 2.5 years ago so I was a very happy budgie. I had not made any claim or anything. The cheque went quickly into the bank.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 17

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sun made a short appearance a few minutes ago but decided it was too windy and promply went inside again. Thanks for the tips on the teapot Polly, I shall certainly take care of it. I think that the filter is going to be the part that will require the most cleaning being stainless steel, a weekly boil in washing soda will be most likely. I use a water filter/softener when making tea anyway as the local water is so heavily chlorinated its like drinking a swimming pool. Condolences and congratulations where neccessary, have a good day all.

It's strange, but when we moved to this house (about a mile from the old one) I couldn't drink tea made with the water and have been using a filter jug since, Fifteen years on and it still, as Phil says, is like drinking a swimming pool.

Ed

Another moderate day, overcast, but no rain and not too warm.

Spent a bit of time in the workshop this arvo, dad came wandering in for a look, then went back to his room and locked me out of the house. I eventually got him to unlock the door by yelling at his bedroom window.

So the wheel blanks for the 16mm scale loco are now ordered, might turn up this week, but next week's more likely. Also have some taps and dies coming, which should be here any day now. Though oddly they seem to have been sent in 3 separate parcels, I'm guessing from different stores/warehouses that had the not-often-ordered small taps and dies I need in stock. Other bits for the loco should be here in a week or two. No idea when the metric bolts I ordered from Germany will be here though (Australia, having been all metric for something like 40 years, naturally doesn't have a supplier of small hex-headed metric bolts; at least not one I've been able to find). Still need to order material for the cylinders (1" square brass should do the job).

Dinner was bangers and mash tonight, dad considered it a grand feast.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sun made a short appearance a few minutes ago but decided it was too windy and promply went inside again. Thanks for the tips on the teapot Polly, I shall certainly take care of it. I think that the filter is going to be the part that will require the most cleaning being stainless steel, a weekly boil in washing soda will be most likely. I use a water filter/softener when making tea anyway as the local water is so heavily chlorinated its like drinking a swimming pool. Condolences and congratulations where neccessary, have a good day all.

As our water in Benfleet has already been tested on the good people of Chelmsford I can cope with a bit of chlorination. To be honest I never notice it. Matthew prefers the water from the filter jug though. We have one as our coffee machine is supposed to work better with filtered water.

• Like 12

Another moderate day, overcast, but no rain and not too warm.

Spent a bit of time in the workshop this arvo, dad came wandering in for a look, then went back to his room and locked me out of the house. I eventually got him to unlock the door by yelling at his bedroom window.

So the wheel blanks for the 16mm scale loco are now ordered, might turn up this week, but next week's more likely. Also have some taps and dies coming, which should be here any day now. Though oddly they seem to have been sent in 3 separate parcels, I'm guessing from different stores/warehouses that had the not-often-ordered small taps and dies I need in stock. Other bits for the loco should be here in a week or two. No idea when the metric bolts I ordered from Germany will be here though (Australia, having been all metric for something like 40 years, naturally doesn't have a supplier of small hex-headed metric bolts; at least not one I've been able to find). Still need to order material for the cylinders (1" square brass should do the job).

Dinner was bangers and mash tonight, dad considered it a grand feast.

Bangers and mash is a grand feast, especially with peas, mushrooms and lots of onions.

Ed

• Like 9

Apologies pH if I said it started in Canada.  Having now checked via the web after your posting, you're quite right, it was in Ohio and then spread.

I was lucky enough to get through customs early and found myself in the first class lounge, so there were far worse places to be stuck for 24 hours.  Mean ###### shut the free bars after an hour or so, or it could have been one hell of a party....

I do recall all the aircrew were in skyscrapers in NY itself and once the power went off they were without normal lighting and water as I assume there were pumps involved somewhere.  They then had to walk down 30+ floors and then try to get cabs to JFK but the whole city was gridlocked.

Spent the whole night stretched across two chairs pulled together.  Uncomfortable, but far better than those who failed to get through security and had to sleep on the floor.  From memory we eventually got on a 747 that left late the following day, but arrived in London way after the watershed for night landings.  They must have got special clearance to land after midnight.

The plane was virtually empty other than crew members and a few passengers who had managed to get through security the day before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

Ooops!, Funnily enough we had power throughout. A pal of mine who has a business making guitar amps in Bloomfield, NJ - lost power - but went across the road to a bar that did have power.....

Good morning every body. Fine drizzle here, a soaker yesterday but it was the first rain for a month so “mustn’t grumble” as they used to say in London. The Sun will be out later.

It is “Veterans Day” today so remembrance will be on the correct day, at least............the worst war for service casualties for the Americans is still the Civil War.

Best, Pete.

• Like 9

Afternoon all from a busy but dry Scottish HQ!

Madly busy today, but at least it keeps me out of mischief...

Tomorrow at 11.00 hrs wil find me at Anfield Plain war memorial planting a cross for my Grandfather and his brother. .

John - my folks live about a mile away from there. 

Another early one but a lie in for me!, train over to derby before working a test train to bangor, llandudno and blaenau ffestiniog later, thankfully the job finishes in crewe so no drive home from derby today

Lots of miles driving, 350 miles plus, of that only 50 is recording

Jim - I've noticed the past 2 weeks as I've driven past the freight terminal at Grangemouth that there have been 2 Colas locos (I'm not certain which class from a fleeting glance but maybe Class 60?) in the yard there - previously there have only ever been 66s (usually in Malcolm freight livery) and recently one of the 2 brand new ScotRail livery 68s - couldn't tell whether it was Daring or Valiant though!).

• Like 13

My father was secretary of his local British Legion branch for some years, and often grumbled about their chairman, who always wore the biggest and fanciest poppy of those available. Da used to take poppies round to the housebound among the old servicemen and women and those who had lost loved ones in the wars - he knew them all by their first names, and everybody knew him. He always pointed out that you don't "buy" a poppy, you donate what you can, and he'd offer the fancy ones to those he knew would particularly appreciate them.

I'm not keen on the idea of white poppies and the like - seems rather insensitive to me.

• Like 9

Morning all.

Bangers and mash is THE grand feast, provided you can get decent bangers.  Very seldom found anything halfway resembling the best of British out here in the colonies.  Most "snags" also contain cow and not pig which doesn't always help.

Woollies do a "pure pork" sausage which you have to ask for specially from their deli (and watch they don't go giving you the usual gunk anyway). But there's also a proper butcher just around the corner from me that makes his own snags, and does a decent job of 'em too.

Avoid the "bbq sausages" they're just floor sweepings and saw dust I think.

Edited by LisaP4
  • Like 4

My father was secretary of his local British Legion branch for some years, and often grumbled about their chairman, who always wore the biggest and fanciest poppy of those available. Da used to take poppies round to the housebound among the old servicemen and women and those who had lost loved ones in the wars - he knew them all by their first names, and everybody knew him. He always pointed out that you don't "buy" a poppy, you donate what you can, and he'd offer the fancy ones to those he knew would particularly appreciate them.

I'm not keen on the idea of white poppies and the like - seems rather insensitive to me.

A poppy should be worn to remember the fallen of any contributing country, the waste of youth, the ones shot at dawn etc we shouldnt need different coloured poppies.

Its a bit "band wagon jumping" similar to why we have to have a chairperson, why we may have to have a Royal Institute for the Visually Challenged.

A red Poppy says it all!

• Like 5

Here in the Land of the Northern Haggis, where the water runs off granite, we have beautifully soft water that used to be pure, and very occasionally, slightly coloured by peat - about seven years ago they started chlorinating it, and at times it is undrinkable - fortunately those are indicated by turning the tap on and seeing if you can smell it! We keep a small supply of bottled for those occasions

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Duly chjropracted, surgery visited and actually got an appointment for tomorrow!!!!!, bank visited, WHs visited - thus time spent usefully, next useful task is to collect the good Doctor from her RDA efforts this afternoon (hope it was using the indoor ring as the outdoors is no doubt very muddy).

Polly recommends an excellent tea in Yorkshire Gold - superb stuff.  Reputedly the stuff sold in different areas of the country although bearing the same name is to a slightly different blend to cater for the hardness of the water.

Going back briefly to poppies my grandfather was part of a company marched out to witness a dawn execution - apparently the general opinion was that the miscreant got all that he deserved because of the way he had let down his supposed mates; there's often more than one side to these events and the world was a very different place back then which we can't properly judge by the standards of our times.

Anyway a bit of time on here then off into the country and muddy roads looking for the girl, enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Aditi is getting into being retired. She has just booked a holiday for next year that is in "term time".

One of the first things we did in September was to have a few days away midweek.

Just because we could.

And it would be relatively quiet.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 16

Here in the Land of the Northern Haggis, where the water runs off granite, we have beautifully soft water that used to be pure, and very occasionally, slightly coloured by peat - about seven years ago they started chlorinating it, and at times it is undrinkable - fortunately those are indicated by turning the tap on and seeing if you can smell it! We keep a small supply of bottled for those occasions

Same here, our mixer tap in the kitchen has three taps one of which is connected to a filter under the sink. Unfortunately, the replacement cartridges are bl***y expensive.

When it comes to tea, I don't think  you can better Barries. I don't think it's generally available in the UK.

Steph's retirement looms closer. When she made enquiries as to the value of her Health Service Pension, she was informed that the details would be on her final pay slip! Great country.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
 Stewart 45156, I recall Pete Twitchett at the Angel and in all probability would have been there on the night in question.  Someone had to sell raffle tickets in the bar during the floor spots and it might have been me. 

Oh dear, you missed my spot then, I'm gutted.  Actually, you probably didn't miss much, as I was a pretty fair guitarist, but I think I had illusions about the quality of my voice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When it comes to tea, I don't think  you can better Barries. I don't think it's generally available in the UK.

Barry's Tea is available in our nearby big Tesco. Not on the tea section however. It is on the Irish food shelves.

We had PG Tips for years but switched to Clipper as the tea bags compost down nicely!

Barry’s tea is available over here too. Quite good but my favorite is Tetley’s British Blend - I just bought six boxes online...........

It’s nearly 10:00am so i’m off to represent Britain (!) at the local service - at 11:00 am.

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Has the poor lady managed to recover from the shock, of finding out how much cheaper, term time holidays are?

She was aware, for years she has noticed how we could have more holidays for the same price. She hasn't theoretically been tied to school holidays for a few years but hasnt been allowed to take them.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  I love Unimogs! First saw one in Holland on a trip with Mum and Dad when I was 9 or 10, and didn't stop nagging until they found me a model of one. ISTR it was a "Euro"-Dinky and that Father was not too impressed by the price. I trained my sons to shout "Unimog" whenever we saw one, but for some reason their enthusiasm for this practice declined.

Ed

I think if I ever had the need for a serious off-road utility vehicle, I'd pick a Unimog over any kind of posh SUV!

I think an interesting legal case would arise if the bus driver, blinded by the laser, had run over the cretin who pointed it at him.

If memory serves, there has been a case of some lowlife having pointed a laser pen at an aircraft on approach to Leipzig-Halle Airport some weeks ago. I think if any asshole ever tried blinding me while driving (it could happen, come to think of it…), I'd slam on an emergency stop…

• Like 8