The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was stuck in JFK a few years back when the power supply to that area went down after a big power failure in Canada brought everything down like a set of dominoes.  No electricity and the world almost stopped....

If that was in August 2003, that was a "Made in USA" event. The first failures in Canada happened almost 4 hours after it had started.

Apologies pH if I said it started in Canada.  Having now checked via the web after your posting, you're quite right, it was in Ohio and then spread.

I was lucky enough to get through customs early and found myself in the first class lounge, so there were far worse places to be stuck for 24 hours.  Mean  shut the free bars after an hour or so, or it could have been one hell of a party....

I do recall all the aircrew were in skyscrapers in NY itself and once the power went off they were without normal lighting and water as I assume there were pumps involved somewhere.  They then had to walk down 30+ floors and then try to get cabs to JFK but the whole city was gridlocked.

Spent the whole night stretched across two chairs pulled together.  Uncomfortable, but far better than those who failed to get through security and had to sleep on the floor.  From memory we eventually got on a 747 that left late the following day, but arrived in London way after the watershed for night landings.  They must have got special clearance to land after midnight.

The plane was virtually empty other than crew members and a few passengers who had managed to get through security the day before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Premium

It is here... Morning all from a wet Scottish HQ.

I've not yet declared my interest. Started getting into folk music from hearing a Kate Rusby track ("Sir Eglamore") on John Peel's show some 15+ years ago. I have a pretty wide music collection and taste, but on the folk side, I particularly enjoy Kate Rusby, Heidi Talbot, Karine Polwart, Eliza Carthy, Bellowhead, Cara Dillon. And I was really impressed with Steeleye Span's Terry Pratchett collaboration, "Wintersmith". I also occasionally listen to older stuff, Fairport Convention etc. I think Sandy Denny's voice was amazing, especially on "Who Knows Where The Time Goes".

Feeling exhausted today, and have just found out I have to write a briefing pack today for a meeting tomorrow as one of our team is off sick and the Minister's office sent the briefing request to her.

My first visit to a folk music evening was in Ipswich during a 6th form holiday course at Pin Mill Sailing Club. These days, we go to Conwy Folk Club, but with all the railway stuff we don't go half as often as we used to.  Steeleye Span has always been a favourite but I do think Calan is fantastic live. 

Excuse absence, folks.  I've been giving CQ some attention before it gets put away again, as some of you have found out, already. [Thanks for all the support.] Then it'll be modelling bits and pieces which won't need the layout until they're RTP (ready to play plonk) at the next exhibition.  Christmas first, though, eh?   :D

Got to change modelling table back into dining table before midnight dinner.

Ah well!  Have a good evening / rest of the day.  Will try and catch up later.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 7

This might change, however, as one of my drinking buddies has been talking about the resurrected club at what used to be the Highcliffe on Greystones Road.

So that's what that place was called! I visited it fairly regularly when I lived in Sheffield in 1972/3, but I would not have remembered the name (if I ever knew it).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! Second half done, home now, CTM ordered for dinner. All is well, though I do wonder just why some people do not seem to grasp the concept and purpose of destination signage and announcements as two or three folks appeared to have had another destination in mind when I went onto my depot return route. At least they did notice their mistake at the last stop outside the depot!

dsc00683vrupb.jpg

Mellow Yellow: 1128 "Lene Voigt", named for a famous poet from Leipzig who wrote in the Saxon dialect, on Turn 1016 at Wahren…

dsc00684hfu1n.jpg

Bogie detail.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Pint / Bottle o' Dog were it not? ;)

Bottle, Gwiwer, never saw it as a draught beer.

No folk music for me I'm afraid, not that I would know it if it hit me.  I have however been listening to a Dave Brubeck album, to make a change from 70's rock!

• Like 12

Evening all. My views of cockwomble drivers has been surpassed today by cyclists (and before anyone gets upset, I have nothing against them).Three of these cyclists nearly came to grief in the dark this morning. Dark clothing, no lights and had even removed anything reflective from the bike. 

Another busy day that has generated more work, which is a good thing. It just means that I've got to write even more documents.

Music wise tonight I've been relaxing to Glen Miller.

Time for another coffee.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. My views of cockwomble drivers has been surpassed today by cyclists (and before anyone gets upset, I have nothing against them).Three of these cyclists nearly came to grief in the dark this morning. Dark clothing, no lights and had even removed anything reflective from the bike. 

When driving on paved-in street track, I generally pay double attention to cyclists straying close to the rail heads and rail grooves for obvious reasons. At the same time, I'm often at loss for comprehending just why so many of them criss-cross such track the way they do, especially if and when a tram actually comes up behind them! To my mind, this is just asking for disaster to strike some day…

Evening all. I hope today finds you well. Today has been a busy day at work. We have completed shortlisting for one of the jobs available - interesting enough after the discussions between the three people involved, my shortlist was the one that was accepted. Perhaps I do know what I am doing.

Three more work days before the show. More problems. Today has seen an email informing that one of the layouts will probably have to pull out. Unfortunately the owner is ill so nothing we can do. I hope the gentleman gets better soon.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-land. Nipped down to town today as it was dry and purchased one of those glass teapots with the built in filter. Now all I have to do is sort out a suitable leaf tea to use in it. My first job on leaving school was with Kearly and Tonge in Mitre Square in the City of London who traded under the names of International Stores and Twinings Tea. On the premises was the tea tasting room where the tea was tested before blending. There was also a 'staff shop' in the basement where some normally very expensive teas were available to staff at a considerable discount. That was more than fifty years ago and alas the original buildings in the square are long gone, if the name of Mitre Square sounds familiar its because of an event that took place there in September 1888. Dom, I noticed that most if not all of the trams you have driven carry names, I was wondering if these are names of local worthies connected with Liepzig or the surrounding district. Do you know who they were and what they were famous (or notorious) for?

• Like 12

The printer can be used to print other things too. How about a bit of lattice post?

post-25691-0-90207500-1447197213_thumb.jpg

It was printed flat as one piece, then folded and glued along one edge. The fuzz is the result of me dropping it on the floor.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

been a busy day... finished weathering 32 Conflat As and containers.. tomorrow bring mineral wagons...ho hum!

Hope you all have a great sleep and wake feeling refreshed!

Baz

PS do Runrig count as sort of folky??? I like their music.

• Like 13

Whilst looking for my ABS Models catalogue (see another thread) I came across an envelope of family photographs.

TODDY_1.pdf

This is Toddy (1967 - 1985) so he had a good innings.  Escape artist  (no fence was secure, the choice was under, over or through) - tree climber (up because unlike a cat no reverse gear) - footballer - wind up merchant.

He is looking miserable because actually he is setting up one of his jokes.  The props are a rock and an incoming tide.  He sat on the rock as the tide rose, and as the crowd of onlookers grew, he started to sob.  Clearly he couldn't swim and would drown unless someone saved him.  Ultimately a man, it was always a man, would take off his shoes and socks, roll up his trousers and wade out to the rock.  Gathering up a wet Jack Russell, he would return to the shore.  Toddy would thank him profusely so that the man now had a wet face as well.  He would put Toddy down, who would immediately swim out to another rock and wait for another sucker.  We kept well in the background.

Bill

TODDY_1.pdf

• Like 11

Whilst looking for my ABS Models catalogue (see another thread) I came across an envelope of family photographs.

attachicon.gifTODDY_1.pdf

This is Toddy (1967 - 1985) so he had a good innings.  Escape artist  (no fence was secure, the choice was under, over or through) - tree climber (up because unlike a cat no reverse gear) - footballer - wind up merchant.

He is looking miserable because actually he is setting up one of his jokes.  The props are a rock and an incoming tide.  He sat on the rock as the tide rose, and as the crowd of onlookers grew, he started to sob.  Clearly he couldn't swim and would drown unless someone saved him.  Ultimately a man, it was always a man, would take off his shoes and socks, roll up his trousers and wade out to the rock.  Gathering up a wet Jack Russell, he would return to the shore.  Toddy would thank him profusely so that the man now had a wet face as well.  He would put Toddy down, who would immediately swim out to another rock and wait for another sucker.  We kept well in the background.

Bill

Bill,

I took the liberty of converting Toddy to a jpeg. He looks like a real character! Our Cairn loves a good joke too.

Andy

post-25691-0-43983100-1447200574_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Bloody computers. If you want to save as a .pdf, you drive the printer. If you want to save as a .jpg, you have to drive the computer. I was having my usual argument with the image editor when Andy beat me to it. Thanks. Now I have to remember how I got the .jpg image in the first place.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-land. Nipped down to town today as it was dry and purchased one of those glass teapots with the built in filter. Now all I have to do is sort out a suitable leaf tea to use in it. My first job on leaving school was with Kearly and Tonge in Mitre Square in the City of London who traded under the names of International Stores and Twinings Tea. On the premises was the tea tasting room where the tea was tested before blending. There was also a 'staff shop' in the basement where some normally very expensive teas were available to staff at a considerable discount. That was more than fifty years ago and alas the original buildings in the square are long gone, if the name of Mitre Square sounds familiar its because of an event that took place there in September 1888. Dom, I noticed that most if not all of the trams you have driven carry names, I was wondering if these are names of local worthies connected with Liepzig or the surrounding district. Do you know who they were and what they were famous (or notorious) for?

Great little teapots, those. I broke 3 of them!  I now use a coffee pot (with the 'glass' made of plastic) which our youngest gave us for family gatherings - it's constantly in use just for the two of us and gets a hard life and a few hard knocks but it's still in one piece!  After a variety of leaf teas, we settled on Yorkshire Gold although I suspect it'd taste different in a different area. Just try the teas out till you find one (or more) you prefer. Be aware though, that in cleaning out the teapot you use more water than swilling out tea bags!  Just don't catch the teapot on the end of the tap or you may find a load of glass in the sink.

Time to bid you all good night and nos da.

• Like 12

Andy ID . . You're just showing off now, aren't you?

NHN. . . You're right, . . never a draught, always a bottle, and best drunk from a schooner. Never the bottle.

Baz . . .  Runrig count as folk as much as anybody. . Music written by folk for folk to listen to. . . All music is folk music. I love there version of "Loch Lomond", and "Ravenscraig" strikes a chord with  the current happenings in the steel industry,.

Pete. . Eric at his best . . .and Nathan East on bass.

Sandy Denny was taken from us much too soon. My favourite track of hers is "Crazy Lady Blues" . . .Just her with an acoustic guitar.

Tomorrow at 11.00 hrs wil find me at Anfield Plain war memorial planting a cross for my Grandfather and his brother. . 

I'm going now 'cos nobody should have a longer post than Jock. . . .So . . 

Goodnight Everyone . . .Sleep well

John

• Like 12