The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A very windy day today (not personally) and far too warm for the time of year. The usual cockwomble drivers were out early as well.

Ed - Many happy returns

Alan - Enjoy Florida.

When it comes to music, I'm not a fan of placing it into genres. I like what I like and don't care what others think..

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When it comes to music, I'm not a fan of placing it into genres. I like what I like and don't care what others think..

I agree but for many years I didn't listen to much stuff that could once have been called "prog rock" as I disliked the people who were so critical of what I liked at the time. Now I know there are perfectly pleasant people who like such music! I didn't really listen to any punk rock in the late 70s as the school students in south Essex seemed to use it as an excuse for expectorating at teachers. However I know nice people who like such music. I don't seem to be able to cope with jazz, don't know why it often just sounds "wrong" to me. I suspect it may be meant to and it is just me!

Tony

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

8 hours of lessons today - mostly with the wipers on.

Looking at the screen as I type I can still see them swishing left and right...................................

Pie about to be consumed, then it's off to the modelling shed to wind down.

Will look in again later.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pie about to be consumed,

Not happy.....

Pie not in fridge. I think it may be in Mrs NB's stomach.

Oh well. Large pan of minced beef on the cooker now. Will have to pour myself a drink while I wait for it to cook............................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

My old boss - ex Marine colour sergeant -  posted on faceache..... that women should wear their poppy on their right side; the red represents the blood of all those who gave their lives, the black represents the mourning of those who didn't have their loved ones return home, and the green leaf represents the grass and crops growing and future prosperity after the war destroyed so much. The leaf should be positioned at 11 o...'clock to represent the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the time that World War One formally ended.

Evening all. Not managed to venture on here in recent days so there are so many posts to catch up on so I will send the usual round of congrats, good wishes and commiserations as appropriate. Have a good trip Alan.

I have been away as things are hectic here at the moment preparing for our show next Saturday. I have been working on the layout, trying to get the extension up to standard - see the Skaleby West thread if you are interested in the progress (or the show's thread likewise).

Work remains busy. There are some new jobs coming up and I have had an interesting time looking through the applications - a new experience for me. It really is amazing the diverse nature and quality of people's applications - certainly an eye opener!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope you weren't going to say "Poppy, Cock".

Shall we define "Poppycockwomble"? ;)

Bottle of Koonunga Hill opened and being quaffed

Excellent choice - one of our finer.  But you don't specify the variety.  Merlot for me though I'll gladly enjoy anything except a Pinot.  

If you can get hold of sensibly-priced Margaret River wines they'll usually place Koonunga Hill in the shade.  I'm also a fan of Angove's Long Row series from South Oz (with a good old Cornish name I was bound to be, wasn't I?) and even the Lindemann's Bin 65 Chardonnay slips down a treat with this confirmed red fan on scorching summer days.

• Like 3

Shall we define "Poppycockwomble"? ;)

Excellent choice - one of our finer.  But you don't specify the variety.  Merlot for me though I'll gladly enjoy anything except a Pinot.  

If you can get hold of sensibly-priced Margaret River wines they'll usually place Koonunga Hill in the shade.  I'm also a fan of Angove's Long Row series from South Oz (with a good old Cornish name I was bound to be, wasn't I?) and even the Lindemann's Bin 65 Chardonnay slips down a treat with this confirmed red fan on scorching summer days.

Sadly our Waitrose offers less choice but KH @ 25% off is a good choice. I would personally rather drink English produced wine but its far too pricey compared to old World wines or even New World wines.
  • Like 6

" nookie brahn" . . . What!!!!!!  It's  Newky Broon, marra! . . .but, there again,  since they moved the brewing process to Phaphin' Yorkshire, It's not the same so you can call it owt yer like!

Goodnight everyone . . . . .Sleep well.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

“.....a beautiful red rose in his bum hole........”

There's a word (or two) that reminds me of the Spitting Image sketch about a newly discovered moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHp9Cakv2Fg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Morning all,

Hard to believe that some idiot nearby has been setting off fireworks around 9.30 last evening - why? Just heard what sounded like the RHTT with its two 57s at either end running past the bottom of our garden, odd in that it also passed late morning today.

Flávio, I'm very sorry to read that you still have no new employment lined up, it must be really frustrating when you have so much experience and knowledge to offer. I loved the dinner menu you posted - preparing that lot single handed would certainly have taken your mind off job worries! As you know, cooking has also been a passion of mine but I now find that too much time spent on my feet is too tiring. A result of both my illness and medication presumably. I stupidly decided to show off yesterday as our son came from London on Saturday night to have all day Sunday with us and of course one of dad's dinners. He loves simple Italian food so I decided to make fresh fettuccine with my little used pasta rolling machine, ending up with long strips hanging all round the kitchen and very weary bones! Luckily the sauce, simple tomato, herb and mascarpone, wasn't too taxing and the same can be said of a couple of baguettes, split and baked with a garlic and herb butter. Although really tired, the clean plates gave me a real lift! I do hope you have all the luck you deserve in your search.

Stewart, what a relief that your body shop has finally got the long awaited part - I spoke to the man who runs the body shop attached to my last garage (with the sibling franchise Citroën!) and he was once again shocked as he has had no such issue with parts! It really is awful service when you consider that, as it's a current model, they are stamping out body panels every few minutes to keep the production lines going. Your very knowledgeable comments on 'folk' music certainly got the memories flooding back from the sixties and early seventies when the Essex Skipper pub in Harlow had a very vibrant folk club. We also had a good one at Loughton as well as open air concerts in the park funded by Harlow council. It certainly is a subject with so many viewpoints, and in my opinion, it would be a very dull world indeed if we all liked the same thing!

Baz, business is certainly looking good at the moment! (Wonder why the auto-correct on my iPad insists on changing 'Baz' to 'Baez', unless there is something we don't know about!).

Andy(ram), I hope your show goes as well as you would wish, and that Skaleby is one of the star attractions! I've said that now in case I forget at the weekend. I know I can rely on you to post lots of photos on the thread. I was in a position of hiring and firing for many years and like you I was bemused by the differing quality of the applications. Back in the days before computerised order forms and invoices, the staff were required to fill these in by hand. To this end, I insisted on handwritten applications and you would have probably been astounded at the lack of proficiency of some of the applicants in terms of both handwriting and literacy. At least I was able to weed out the worst ones before going to the trouble of interviewing them.

Rick, I earlier read your moving post on John Flann's 'Hintock' thread. You are obviously distressed by your loss, testament to how much you loved the little creature. Hopefully Sharon will return soon to help you over the sorrow - the sooner you can throw yourself back in to work the better! Thinking of you tonight as I really don't know how I'll cope if Archie the Westie should go before me.

Best wishes to all ERs for a trouble free rest of the week, and I hope those ailing continue to improve. I've done the graveyard duties today, and tomorrow we shall collect little Freddie after school and then take him to the old cemetery with the war graves section so that he can stick the cross adorned with a poppy in front of one of the headstones. This is not something that I thought up, but is all his own idea since he saw Joanna and I put one on her parent's grave last year. His parents are happy, and I can see no harm in it.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

" nookie brahn" . . . What!!!!!!  It's  Newky Broon, marra! . . .but, there again,  since they moved the brewing process to Phaphin' Yorkshire, It's not the same so you can call it owt yer like!

Goodnight everyone . . . . .Sleep well.

John

Pint / Bottle o' Dog were it not? ;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

? Just heard what sounded like the RHTT with its two 57s at either end running past the bottom of our garden, odd in that it also passed late morning today.

My local RHTT usually runs 6 nights each week (Saturday excepted), southbound about 7.15pm and about 6am northbound the following day but couldn't run at normal times yesterday because the line was closed for engineering work. It turned up at 6am southbound today.

Planned lie-in tomorrow as work doesn't start until 10.30am, but full on through to 7.30pm after that.

G'night all.

Mick

• Like 4