The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just brilliant! What a lovely piece of news. It was Jimmy Smith's albums that first mentioned Englewood Cliffs, and I think it was also venue for numerous other artists of my choice in the late '60s/early 70s. Perhaps Creed Taylor used him regularly? I think maybe Wes Montgomery's last two albums were recorded there, on A&M.

Dunno details but I know a lot of Blue Note label stuff was/is recorded there as I had an office just down the corridor from Bruce Lundvall at one point. Funny thing was I got on first name terms with Tony Bennett because he visited so often (usually on a Friday evening, if you didn’t have a key you could not leave the elevator  lobby and I could hear him shouting for help) - I don’t think he was actually signed to Blue Note at the time...this was in the nineties.

I was Director of Production at Angel Records for a few miserable months........ I should never have taken the position but was so keen to move to Manhattan...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Another good day. A steady stream of visitors into the Newport show. Very nice venue and supplied with plenty of tea.

Back in downtown Newport this evening and dinner in a pub by the old quay which is where the old railway bridge use to pass over, now replaced by the concrete bypass.

A final few jars in the Nepwort Ale House. Best place in town and certainly up in the top list of bars on the island in our opinion and very close to our accomodation. Basic but we slept last night.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Sunday is living up to its name thus far.  I am of course obliged to avoid Attendance upon medical advice once more today and can bask in the rays to my heart's content.

That and there's a house to clean, it's time to do all the windows (which in this lucky country also means washing all the fly-screens) and there's a permanent backlog in the gardens vegetable and arboreal.  

I pulled a late night last night. 02.30 to bed after spending some time chatting electronically and telephonically to numerous friends around the planet.  It made me feel better.  It's quiet again this morning.  I'm on my own, apart from Los Trios Chickos, until Wednesday.  I'm at the neighbour's for dinner tonight which will probably be some sort of turning point in what ever process one goes through after losing a much loved pet.

I've had to pull out of the Sunshine MRC show in a couple of weeks which was to be the next appearance of my portable Boghouses layout of around-the-world-to-Staplegrove fame.  I'm unable to swap my shifts for the weekend and must visit the Palace instead.  

Taking my own advice and smiling at the world today.  Do likewise and make the most of it.

• Like 2

And so to the local town bonfire.

Organised jointly by a number of the local service clubs - Rotary, Lions, Round Table - it's run primarily as a community service event but also raises a sum of cash for local charities.

Main job in the morning is the building of the bonfire. Usually involving stopping traffic whilst LGV's reverse in to be unloaded. We had 3 40-foot artics and four other smaller trucks to unload.

attachicon.gifbf1.jpg

One of the local companies supplies this nifty stacker/reach truck that is highly manoeuvrable. The pallets are loaded onto a quad bike plus trailer to be moved to the bonfire build site. (The quad driver is a fellow railway modeller)

attachicon.gifbf2.jpg

I think I said it rained this morning - it did - very heavily. The sun was out for about 45 minutes.

This is the bonfire with Clitheroe Castle in the background

attachicon.gifbf3.jpg

The local Round Table guys form a chain to reach the upper levels.

attachicon.gifbf4.jpg

And it's time for a brew and bacon butty.

attachicon.gifbf5.jpg

Once the fire is built - by about lunchtime - I can have a wander around the rest of the site. This is a view from the castle keep walls. The railway line (mentioned in a previous post) runs from mid right up and across.

attachicon.gifbf6.jpg

Turning slightly northwards, I grew up in the house on the right behind the blue van. My bedroom overlooked Clitheroe goods yard. Longridge Fell is in the distance. The line of the railway is clearly visible.

attachicon.gifbf7.jpg

Swinging north-east, a view down Clitheroe's main street.

attachicon.gifbf8.jpg

Facing ESE, Pendle Hill is shrouded in low cloud

attachicon.gifbf9.jpg

I couldn't step back any further to take a picture of the castle keep - dating from Norman times, this is reputedly the smallest keep in Britain.

attachicon.gifbf10.jpg

In the grounds of the keep, the fireworks team begin their preparations.

attachicon.gifbf11.jpg

And this is what is was all about. There was an initial worry that the wind would be a bit too high for safe operation of the fireworks and the weather forecast was being monitored all day. The peak wind of over 20mph was forecast for about 5pm, with a significant reduction by 7pm. And so it was barely a light breeze at 7.30pm when the button was pressed much to the relief of the organising team and display crew.

attachicon.gifbf12.jpg

£5k worth of fireworks to entertain 4000-4500 people. Safer than havig loads of small privately built fires around the town. And raising a few £k for local charities in the process.

The event passed off safely with the help of over 50 volunteers all giving up parts of Saturday.

Thank you all for making my job easy.

Large beverage being consumed and off to bed soon. Tired but happy.

Cheers,

Mick

So, you were a Clitheroe kid then?

• Like 2

Morning all,

Just typed a lengthy post, having stayed up too late with No1 son who is visiting from London. Pressed something with my left thumb on the iPad and wiped the lot. Like the recent horse jokes, I'm too tired to repeat it now so I'm afraid it's the usual generic congratulations/commiserations and I'll try to do better tomorrow. Did however want to wish Ian and Sherry a comfortable and safe crossing of La Manche. Have a good Sunday all!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that Jock as your long posts, like the shorter ones, are normally heartfelt, personalised and very much a respected (and read through) part of this place.

It's happened to me a couple of times on the layout thread.  I've been able to to to "Edit" at the top of the page and select "Undo" provided I haven't touched another key in between.  It brings back the cached version which most systems will have auto-saved for you in the background.  Hit one other key in between and all "Undo" will do is undo that keystroke.  

Clitheroe kid

One Jimmy Clitheroe used to entertain my parents with his show of that name on the wireless during Sunday afternoons.  Never did much for me.  Generation gap or something.

• Like 1

Good morning one and all

A good day yesterday at Wycrail included bread pudding.  What more can one desire?  The company of some RMwebbers - check.  Some decent layouts - check.  What, I wonder, does East London Finescale promise today?  Fun on the M25, petrol at Stevenage on the outward run and a new show venue, probably without bread pudding but hopefully with a brief encounter with a friend that I have not seen for ages.  

There is a new [to me] CD in the car.  I played some of it on the way home from Wycrail and was surprisingly impressed by one of the tracks - Telstar played in waltz time with the original drummer, Clem Cattini, joining a jolly band of ruffians including Ashley Hutchings MBE whose idea it was.  As I consider the original 1962 recording of Telstar to be the best pop record ever made - yes, folks, I'm a Meek freak -  I prefer folk not to mess with it but this version has had good new life breathed into it.

I wish my chesty cough would go.   It has been on the way out for two or three days but seems determined to linger a while yet.  Oh well, more linctus.

To those who ail [including me, this time]: let health prevail

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Wonder if I can train myself to be a selective early riser only on those days when I have to leave early? Oh well, watching clouds drift across the autumnal morning sky outside is soothing as well…

Had something which felt like a migraine yesterday, which I attributed mainly to it being quite balmy at about 18°C and a bit windy. Managed to avoid part of it by taking ibuprofen early, but still felt carp for the second half of the day.

Cheers, everyone...

As a Medieval Norman-style knight he would have had a string of war-trained destriers as well as 'palfreys' - smaller riding horses. I've never seen evidence of them being given names, though I imagine that many must have been named.

Is it true that he died of leprosy?

I heard it was brucellosis.

As I consider the original 1962 recording of Telstar to be the best pop record ever made

I think I have a Moog version of it on vinyl somewhere. Fortunately, my record turntable is currently buried under a bunch of stuff in the back of the shed.

• Like 1