The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 and partial fog driving in, expecting to clear by mid-morning and hit 21 for the high. Contrasting with Minneapolis 16 for a high and 4 time I land this evening.

22C or 72f here today. Thin high clouds light breeze.

I’ll have to blow the leaves out from the front this PM, maybe. Out back hardly any on the “lawn”.

Best, Pete.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Busy morning with two meetings, one in Covent garden so I walked past Nelson  and his lions for the first time in a number of years then back to the office for the second meeting. between meetings we ended up in Starbucks. This is one of the new fangled ones where you are greeted at the door then led to a seat and order is taken from there. i dont normally go in these places as they are expensive for a cup of tea but when someone else offers then its rude to refuse.

Tonight we load the layout ready for the trip to the IOW tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 9

Mike(60860), and there was me thinking I was probably the only ER with a signed Alex Harvey album (SAHB Stories), having seen him live and met him! I think 'a character' best describes him?

I think you probably are! I have signed Kate Rusby and Heidi Talbot albums, plus one signed by two performers of the Eccentronic Research Council - the first dedication is "To Speccy, love Adrian", and the second is "To Mike, with apologies for the behaviour of my fellow band member, love Maxine Peake"! (renowned actress who provides spoken word vocals on their records).

Signed books are more my thing though...

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Yes I wouldn’t buy tea in Starbucks..... I usually order a quad-espresso.

Off to Docs (to look at my knee - which, of course, feels a lot better.

Best, Pete.

I have bought tea in Starbucks - just the once, and that was more than enough. The abysmal quality of the product seemed to be wholly in tune with the dowdy nature of the premises with overworn and grubby furniture and the sort of gloomy lighting level which probably contributes to the winter suicide rate in Scandinavia.  

But perhaps I should add that this was at a branch in a well known tourism town with an annual international visitor numbers which is probably on a par with those from the UK, with high average incomes, and in the part of the country where the average household weekly expenditure is beaten only by London.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all! Bit of a drizzle just around dawn called for something of what I have taken a liking to calling Advanced Tactical Driving. It dried off later, though, and one of our assessment drivers (who are qualified drivers themselves doing this assessment task for about half of their time and who, he described, should not focus only on how we drive, but also on things like how well our trams are kept clean, and other items outside of our immediate responsibility) rode with me towards the end of my shift and pronounced my driving faultless. I understand they were asked to have a look at how us "newbies" do now that we have gone solo, out of bad experience with new drivers in the past who, shall we say, tossed all rules out of the window as soon as they were cleared to drive alone.

dsc00666knsg2.jpg

My ride during the first half was 1116 "Johann Immanuel Breitkopf", seen here after I had readied it at Wittenberger Straße before sortie…

dsc006700xs1e.jpg

…followed by 1145 "Martin Luther" during the second half, at the walkthrough position in Lößnig.

Now off to put my feet up, so, generic congrats and commies once anew!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I have bought tea in Starbucks - just the once, and that was more than enough. The abysmal quality of the product seemed to be wholly in tune with the dowdy nature of the premises with overworn and grubby furniture and the sort of gloomy lighting level which probably contributes to the winter suicide rate in Scandinavia.  

But perhaps I should add that this was at a branch in a well known tourism town with an annual international visitor numbers which is probably on a par with those from the UK, with high average incomes, and in the part of the country where the average household weekly expenditure is beaten only by London.

I don't drink coffee unless its in beer.

SO I very rarely visit coffee houses.

This Starbucks in Covent garden area is quite smart but who ever would have thought that electrical cable trays fixed vertically  next to each other would act as a wall covering

• Like 2

Afternoon all. Just back from a short break in the motorhome, possibly the last outing this year but we shall see. Our destination this time was Knaresborough which is an easy trip for us but one with plenty of interest and good bus access to neighbouring towns. On the way there last Sunday there was glorious sunshine all the way past Skipton until about five miles from Knaresborough we ran into fog which lasted for five days. As the weather forecast was for rain and winds we decided to come home. Enjoyed the time out though, thanks to our bus passes we saw some places we had not been to before. On the subject of bus passes, how do the bus companies get paid for carrying pass holders? On most of the services we used literally nobody paid cash for the fair, in fact if it weren't for the pensioners with passes the buses could be empty. 

Not had much chance to get online while we were away, the signal was crap. Congratulations and commiserations were appropriate though. Stay safe all.

Edit. Notice the computer gods allowed the word crap. Not carp. It is a slippery slope. We'll be talking about train stations next.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 15

Afternoon all! Bit of a drizzle just around dawn called for something of what I have taken a liking to calling Advanced Tactical Driving. It dried off later, though, and one of our assessment drivers (who are qualified drivers themselves doing this assessment task for about half of their time and who, he described, should not focus only on how we drive, but also on things like how well our trams are kept clean, and other items outside of our immediate responsibility) rode with me towards the end of my shift and pronounced my driving faultless. I understand they were asked to have a look at how us "newbies" do now that we have gone solo, out of bad experience with new drivers in the past who, shall we say, tossed all rules out of the window as soon as they were cleared to drive alone.

dsc00666knsg2.jpg

My ride during the first half was 1116 "Johann Immanuel Breitkopf", seen here after I had readied it at Wittenberger Straße before sortie…

dsc006700xs1e.jpg

…followed by 1145 "Martin Luther" during the second half, at the walkthrough position in Lößnig.

Now off to put my feet up, so, generic congrats and commies once anew!

Love the atmospheric old shed Dom, so much nicer that modern characterless buildings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very wet here! Walked to the post office and got very, very wet, so back for a change of clothing before doing some more crust earning. 

Coffee to be drunk, painting and decorating finally finished ... now her indoors wants the bedrooms repapered. Frabjoy!!

May be lured back to do some consultancy work - depends on how much and for how long!

Meanwhile - Pete, the lasses in Newcastle feel no cold! Even when its snowing its strappy shoes, mini,mini skirt and low cut top. and divnt upset them as they can flatten any sized man!

Baz

PS don't use Starbucks as they do a brilliant tax avoidance scheme in the UK..... 

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5

the lasses in Newcastle feel no cold! Even when its snowing its strappy shoes, mini,mini skirt and low cut top. and divnt upset them as they can flatten any sized man!

The girls in Hull wear the same, the last time I dared take a second glance. I thought to myself, "I've blown my nose on larger pieces of material!".

It's when you realise the young lady concerned is one of your daughters. Here's my eldest Heidi, a few years ago now, fronting a 60's band.

post-276-0-03504300-1446742585.jpg

She asked if mother had any genuine 60's outfits she could wear and got given this pink lurex outfit. She had to find a belt for it as it was more than a little big around the waist. She was told that "we"(The wife not me) wore it in 1968, the year of Heidi's birth. Please note I must ask that no-one works out her age.

Thank you.   

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit wet here at LBG even under the canopies. Just under one third of the platform gets wet due to the height and shape of them

Standard design feature of modern stations Ian - just the same happens at Reading.  I reckon overall roof type solutions for the busiest platform areas at large stations would not only be better but probably no more expensive.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have to agree about that old shed.

Very atmospheric.

Is there an ABC book for Leipzig trams?

I'm sure we will be able to tick them all off before Dom's finished.

• Like 3

It's a bit wet here at LBG even under the canopies. Just under one third of the platform gets wet due to the height and shape of them

Evening Ian,

What a wonderful design that is - probably won an award!

Thought I'd wish you a safe and uneventful journey to the I.O.W. and a successful event whilst you're there. I take it that the local hostelries have been researched?

I wonder who will be first with the I.O.W. jokes now, like "What comes steaming out of Cowes backwards" Ans. "The I.O.W. Ferry!" Oh, it's me!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Stopped off at Starbucks on our way back from Merseyside MRE Sunday and spent a fortune on 2 hot chocolates (the smallest size) and one muffin...

...And the fireworks havejust started - sounds like someone's banging on our window but more of a thud than a bang.  Whatever happened to firework 'bangs'? 

Off now to have a play with CQ's population ready for a few photos tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening Ian,

What a wonderful design that is - probably won an award!

Thought I'd wish you a safe and uneventful journey to the I.O.W. and a successful event whilst you're there. I take it that the local hostelries have been researched?

I wonder who will be first with the I.O.W. jokes now, like "What comes steaming out of Cowes backwards" Ans. "The I.O.W. Ferry!" Oh, it's me!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

As Mike (SM) says the canopies are as useful as the ones at Reading when it rains but as everything these days has to have clearance for overhead wires, a good part of the canopy is not much use when raining and a slight breeze to blow it under the canopies.

Its been over 20 years since I was last in that Newport. We did a few good pubs then but I believe they are no longer as good. A few in the current beer guide. There are two Wetherspoons. One is up for sale but their website shows it as still open.

On the Sunday we have just half hour to get the layout loaded and away if we are to make the 18.00 ferry. Its either that or wait till the 19.30 one then an hours crossing plus two hours drive home, so worth taking the chance that we make it. I have a plan in my mind to get loaded quickly and only taking essential items. We are also down one operator and not found a replacement person but I am sure we will manage.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Snip<  if you order one from Hattons I'd be interested to know how long it takes to arrive in view of something I heard recently.

Hattons?  :butcher:  When there are several on a shelf three metres from my work bench????  :sungum:  Oh Mike...honestly! :jester: ....you do know I work for Trackshack nowadays, don't you?  I know several others around here do, I see their names on orders! :angel:  :angel:  :angel:   /plug. :mosking:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Neil

How about a Standard 5MT or a Brit?

Busy day today and another one coming up tomorrow so night, night all!

Baz

I've got a Std5, but I wanted something that clearly shows the train to be from the western region.  So, one of those funny copper capped things!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was going to say the same about Starbucks tax dodging but Barry beat me to it, not that I have ever visited any of their establishments or ever intend to. C******** shopping attended to and as Tesco were offering a voucher for triple points I topped up such things as cleaning materials and a few other household items. The initial bill came to almost £140 but by the time the vouchers were taken off the total bill was less than £90 + another £5 worth of points.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Baz is spot on about Newcastle girls - and 'Toon Army' footie fans who take off their shirts in the middle of a north east winters afternoon - presumably because they can!  No brain to damage I take it.  'Things I don't miss about Tyneside - vol1'.......  WINTER!!! :jester:

Fraggle Rock is moderated by the surrounding sea, never gets too cold or hot here.  It can rain, yes, but we don't get the fog the Tyne used to give us.  Cue today's earwork, - The fog on the Tyne is all mine all mine.....whey ye man! :sarcastichand:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Surely NHN wants a Bachmann N class for his cross country train!.....mine have always run well when given an opportunity.

Western region train, not Southern, !  It is to be a southern region layout. Vapourware currently,  but gathering stock while I can, as in it's available and I have some funds.  I have a decent amount now, odd how the third rail thing has gripped me, but I am still struggling with the thought of scrapping my half build US layout.

Edited by New Haven Neil

Another day with a carp standard of driving to deal with.

Rick - Really sorry to hear of your loss.

Richard - I hope that the eye problem gets resolved soon. If you're going to end up yellow from the test, maybe you should arrange a fancy dress party and go as a minion. :jester:

I think that I might treat myself to one of these for work. In so many places it's difficult to get a coffee let alone a decent one.

http://www.makitauk.com/products/cordless-tools/coffee-maker/dcm500z-coffee-maker.html

• Like 5

Sorry, going back to my earlier post - I was startled by a reminder to check out the Daily Express Weather Report (sic) about impending dangerous freezing temperatures in the UK within two weeks. Upon reading the report it appears that -1C is considered dangerous nowadays........

Best, Pete.

Of course it's dangerous!

-1 has a sticky out pointy thing at the front!

• Like 1