The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Dave,

Good news that 'Is' has managed to stay the course of chemo - an admirable effort from a tough lady! Are the operations likely to be carried out before Christmas, and if so, how restricted will 'Is' be in terms of enjoying herself? We most sincerely hope that the expected side effects over the next few days aren't too wearing, please give her best wishes from Joanna and I,

Kind regards,

Jock.

....will do thanks Jock. We'll know more once the discussions with the surgeons have happened but they're not planning to mess around. Christmas may see it all over and done with...fingers crossed.

Rgds

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Stop Press:

The Boss is better and I have been sacked as Head Nurse,Chief Cook & Bottlewasher and ejected from the kitchen.

Normal service has resumed so I can get on with important stuff like posting even more drivel on here.  :jester:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Stop Press:

The Boss is better and I have been sacked as Head Nurse,Chief Cook & Bottlewasher and ejected from the kitchen.

Normal service has resumed so I can get on with important stuff like posting even more drivel on here.  :jester:

I was going to click like until I read the last few words.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Cockwomble motorists out in force today - including a small van, pulling a huge trailer, in the dark, that totally obscured the van's lights...and the van...in the dark........the trailer didn't even have lights - or a registration plate.  I got too close for comfort before I even saw it.  Manic overtakes this morning, with a car overtaking two vehicles that had just pulled in from an overtake themselves, up hill, approaching a blind corner....and a van came the other way.  Close, very close.....I didn't get his number as.....his lights weren't on.....[insert cockwomble emoticon]

• Like 1

Well we ought not to forget that various French folk had been present in Britain since 1066 so the name could go back to then (although we don't seem to have any in what we know of our family history but we haven't got much in the way of detail before the late 13th century by which time the christian name 'John' was definitely in use in that form and not the French style although the surname was still in the French style at that time).

I always wondered if Norman Wisdom was taking the mickey.

A dark and wet morning found the following breeds of cockwombles. No lights and main beam with fog lights.

Bob - Good to hear that The Boss is recovering (maybe).

John - Not nice news. I hope that she's better now.

Dom - Sounds like an interesting shift

• Like 8

That's why DD's locos and rolling stock are so clean, they get washed on every trip through the tunnel.

That's if they make it through the tunnel.

In my experience of N, the stock goes around faultlessly for 20 revolutions and falls off the tracks in the tunnel on the 21st circuit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A dark and wet morning found the following breeds of cockwombles. No lights and main beam with fog lights.

Wasn't me! I don't think my car allows main beams with fog lights.

It has just been rainy today. Aditi decided she would start joining me on the daily doggie walk. She was quite impressed with my knowledge of local weather. It was raining at home but not as I predicted down in the park.

Tomorrow will be another packing day as we are off on Friday to Paris for the weekend. Aditi decided now she is retired we will do something fun for her birthday (Friday). She did ask Matthew if he wanted to meet us in Paris but he is spending the weekend in Brussels with a friend. I think our weekend could be quite cultural as we have booked a trip to the Louvre. Apart from that Aditi plans to just wander about like we did in Amsterdam.

I have only been to Paris once for a day and I wasn't very well so this should be a pleasant weekend, we are travelling on Eurostar from Ebbsfleet, so not much driving. Aditi knows which Metro to get to the hotel. I tend to be lazy in France and just let Aditi read all the signs and do the talking.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I was dragged kicking and screaming to Paris for our silver anniversary - cities aren't my thing.

I LOVED it!  Wandering around was just the job, we tended to walk outwards from our central (expensive....) hotel and get the Metro back when knackered.  This was pre-hip disintegration of course.

We will go back, but neither of us will be able to walk the way we did then.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was dragged kicking and screaming to Paris for our silver anniversary - cities aren't my thing.

I LOVED it!  Wandering around was just the job, we tended to walk outwards from our central (expensive....) hotel and get the Metro back when knackered.  This was pre-hip disintegration of course.

We will go back, but neither of us will be able to walk the way we did then.

We will buy a pack of metro tickets when we arrive. Amsterdam was nice as where ever we wandered there was a nearby tram back to near where we were staying. When I spent a day in Utrecht with Matthew we sat down and had a drink whenever I got tired.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

OK, question for the assembled masses to mull overnight - I need (shudder) a GW loco for my sole WR cross region train.....excursion or something....Bachmann Hall or Hornby Grange?

Running ability higher graded than appearance.  What does the panel think?

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Tony, enjoy your trip to Paris and what you said about visiting the city only once before reminded me that I have only visited Paris once before and that was more than forty years ago! Mind you the traffic was bad even then, I was glad that I wasn't driving.

The news seems to have got out already because Fireworks Night has just started. Have I lost a day somewhere?

There was quite a few early ones around our way as well, I put it down to people having seen the forecast for tomorrow night, rain, rain yet more rain.

• Like 2