The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Add my sorrow at hearing your news Simon. We're here for you in whatever way we can be (I know I can say "we" and speak for all ERs as many have already noted). Plenty of support and hopefully you will gain additional strength from that.

Far as "naming things" goes, try "Big Ass Fans" :O  http://www.bigassfans.com/

They're an amazing product but it was quite a trick for our church "eco-Spirits Committee" (Mrs was a member) to explain during one of our services that we'd acquired two of said fans for the main church hall! :jester:

Steam locomotives should ONLY be BR/SR green or black - thank you. :senile:

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I always thought that it was brave of a USA manufacture of anti-hemorhhodal creme to name it Anusol - apparently it is pronounced differently due to the lack of an apostrophe..........

Best, Pete.

Isn't Anuso(i)l the a*shole brother of Popeye's girlfriend Olive?

• Like 1

It seems that if I want anything as complicated as fuses I will need to go to the giant B&Q at Lakeside. I have a simpler solution, order what I want from Screwfix. As well as the fuse I wanted a MCB replacement just in case. I have replaced a couple of the cartridge fuse holders before with them as the halogen lights in the upstairs bathroom popped the fuse when they blew.

And Kingfisher plc is the parent company of both Screwfix and B&Q.

Mal

When the bulb went the glass bit separated from the metal bit.

One extraction method is to stuff a potato into the remains so you can unscrew it. (I've never actually tried it, but I believe it does work.)

Four.

None. Californians only screw in hot tubs.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

One extraction method is to stuff a potato into the remains so you can unscrew it. (I've never actually tried it, but I believe it does work.)

I pulled the fuse and removed it with a pair of pliers. Aditi had used all the potatoes for a potato topped fish pie anyway! We are going to see our new niece tomorrow and taking lunch with us. Aditi's brother and mother are mainly vegetarian but will eat fish.

MiL is trying to take charge of all of the arrangements for the visit tomorrow. She is annoying most

of her children in doing so!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

None. Californians only screw in hot tubs.

And theres me thinking it was 'California Dreamin'

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for the positive comments and messages following my earlier post about the lymphoma- exactly the response I would expect from ERs. It certainly helps to know that you guys are all rooting for me and others going through problems and setbacks in their lives.

A very pleasant evening at the Model Rail club, fixing a couple of old Triang and Lima locos, and getting some advice on my layout.

Night all.

Evening all. First of all I would like to add my best wishes to Simon at this time and, like everyone else on here, I hope for positive news. A foggy day here in Derby has greeted the return to work. A busy week beckons, in fact a busy fortnight approaches as we enter the home straight in the organisation of our model railway show. A full list of layouts now appears on the show's thread.

Gosh, Simon, that must have come as a great shock to you. But you have the right attitude and, as Jock says, positivity is a great thing. I have a wonderful nurse at the Western General Hospital here in Edinburgh who has been my point of contact since diagnosis, so much better then speaking to someone different every time because she already knows the case notes. I hope that Cumbria have something similar - if they don't it could be worth mentioning.

Good luck over the coming weeks.

Mal

I'd have to agree Mal, as Joanna and I visited Berlin in February 1990 just three months after the 'wall' came down and the building was in a very poor state with bomb and shrapnel damage all over. Imagine our surprise when we returned a while after the German Parliament had moved back to that city and Sir Norm had worked his magic. We've stayed there several times since, and I always went up on the roof each trip to check out all the changes to the cityscape that have happened since our previous visit! Certainly an awesome piece of work, and that by a Brit in the heart of the German capital. Certain amount of irony there?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 8

Evening/Morning all,

Tired after a few errands were accomplished today, but happy that I managed to strip out the high security locking device on our bathroom window, and to get it back into working order. A large bill was initially expected so brownie points earned.

Bill(bishop), I think Skrowaczewski is a most remarkable man - where does he find that energy from at such an advanced age? My arms are tired just drying my hair after showering! I have heard some of his Bruckner recording, but I have to confess to my disgust, that I don't know any of his own compositions. I really must get round to filling this gap in my knowledge and wonder if you might have any recommendations?

MickB, sorry to hear of the loss of the Steppe Runners - have you been forgiven yet?

Debs, I'm absolutely delighted that you enjoyed the exhibition, despite the suffering you had to endure on the following day. It must be a good feeling to start doing 'normal' things, but you must pace yourself! Lovely to see your avatar again.

AndyID, that thread you linked to was far from 'like watching paint dry' as you suggested - I found the use of technology fascinating. It is certainly a steep learning curve for you, but I'm enjoying the blow by blow account as you cope with it. Definitely would have been thought of as science fiction only a few years ago.

Ian(RH), you've got to be the most travelled modeller in ERs, with the possible exception of Rick, who brought his layout to Blighty from Australia last year! Is the IOW exhibition a fair size? If you don't have time to take pics, there will almost certainly be a video on YouTube soon.

PhilJW, I also converted to a consumer unit with trips for every separate circuit in the house, as well as one each for the garage and garden electrics. Haven't needed a fuse since!

AndrewC, I'm terribly sad that the knee problem has returned to bite you. Good advice from our own resident Doctor Flávio (except for the subject of trains HaHa!) It sounds like you have the matter in hand in any case, but as Ian said, we know it must be serious to cause you to miss out on some beers!

Simon, at least the news about your mum is very good - let's hope the resistance runs in the family.

Dave(TG), yet another lovely set of images - really captured the Autumn mists on today's ride. Well done.

Grandadbob, are we allowed to know what model of red locomotive you mentioned in your earlier post?

Continued wishes for good health to all our sufferers,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night owls!

• Like 19

One hopes that was spoken aloud at the computer in a voice and tone similar to that of Capt Mainwaring.

Must disagree, me old river horse!

IIRC, Capt. Mainwaring's line, addressed to Private Pike, was: "You stupid boy!"

"You silly twisted boy, you." was spoken to, or of, Neddy Seagoon by The Hon. Hercules Grytpype-Thynne in a voice and tone borrowed from George Sanders.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Bit excited right now, so I don't think I can have much for brekkie (not that I'm one for big breakfasts in any case). I'm sure it'll be fine after a while of driving, but still…!

I'd have to agree Mal, as Joanna and I visited Berlin in February 1990 just three months after the 'wall' came down and the building was in a very poor state with bomb and shrapnel damage all over. Imagine our surprise when we returned a while after the German Parliament had moved back to that city and Sir Norm had worked his magic. We've stayed there several times since, and I always went up on the roof each trip to check out all the changes to the cityscape that have happened since our previous visit! Certainly an awesome piece of work, and that by a Brit in the heart of the German capital. Certain amount of irony there?

Or put it that way, Jock – perhaps an illustration of how far reconciliation and understanding can go! Here's hoping that what has been achieved in that respect since 1945 won't be ruined by those of a more myopic disposition who, unfortunately, happen to be the loudest screamers simultaneously…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jock

The IOW showlist has a fair few layouts and only a few traders but as this will be our first time we will have to wait till the weekend yo find out.

I haven't taken a layout abroad. Was once asked yo take a layout to Utrecht but we already had a booking for that year and didn't hear back from the organisers after that. Had an enquiry to take another layout to Germany but again did not hear back from them. Strange really as we don't need vans to transport the layouts so couldn't have been an expenses problem.

• Like 2