The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Jock - What is posted by yourself is not moaning. It's purely informing us of the current situation. Please keep updating us.

Agree. There are among us others with health problems which make them anxious, even afraid. I'm sure that reading Jock's calm and measured posts helps and encourages them, letting them know that they're not alone. And, speaking for myself, these posts are always interesting and thought-provoking.

I hope to read many more of them, Jock.

Evening all - firstly a welcome back to Debs, good to see you drop in. I repeat the good wishes that many others have sent. Also good wishes to Jock. I hope the pain and sickness has eased - my goodness sir you are, by no means, a moaner. You are an inspiration to us all.

Next I would like to say thank you to those people who have had replied about my search for a giraffe experience for my good lady. There were some very useful suggestions, some of which I will definitely look into. Our local zoo, Twycross, has failed to deliver what I need. However, following further research, I can say that I may have found one at a place in Yorkshire. This zoo is one we have not visited before so it could be a useful double present.

Today I have made good progress with the festive shopping, purchasing more stuff for Amber and seeing other ideas for Sarah. Another internet session may well see more progress made.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Interesting cricket tonight. Lots of runs and a bit of daftness from one or two players ....may miss umpiring next outdoor season!

Great to see Debs back with the collies, I have, touch wood, never had to stay in a hospital - I was born at home  so me and hospitals do not mix!

Managed to get the layout wire strangling done - pictures elsewhere!

Sleep well everyone! 

Baz

PS Jock, gutted that I am not allowed Stanier Pacifics on our club layout of Chapel en le frith!!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Amsterdam airport is odd in that the runways are a long way from the terminals. Our flight last Fridqy had a 1 hour 20 gate to gate time but only 40 minutes in the air!

I once had a flight from Heathrow to Paris CDG in a very lightly loaded B757 - took off like a rocket and had a strong tail wind so I think in total it spent longer taxiing at LHR and CDG than it did in the air.

So tomorrow is the big day and depending on when the old lot log me off or the new lot log me on - plus grasping at BT technology and trying to understand their instructions about 'simple set-up' I might be absent for some time.  Then it's possibly several days of 'poor service' while the new kit and connection decide how they work.  So it's wait & see time.

G'night all.

Evening all,

Many thanks once more for the uplifting support, it really makes a difference! To add to that, a post from Debs this morning which was great news - I suspect a great many of your 'digital friends' were as excited as the collies were to see you back.

Chrisf, I agree with you and Andy(ram) about the benefit of buying Chriistmas presents early. A word of caution however - because some of our family love the expensive Clarins grooming products, when I saw some in the Debenhams New Year sale at good prices a couple of years ago, I bought some and put them away for the following Christmas. You've probably already guessed, I forgot about them and bought totally different items at the time! I had to re-wrap them as birthday presents as the year progressed!

Ian(OD), I imagine that some of Sherry's 'Tadpoles' might find some of the Canterbury Tales 'interesting', or are they using the abridged edition aimed at younger children? Hope the haircut didn't take all your strength.

Jamie, I wondered if the rest of the seat belt job was completed to your satisfaction?

PhilJW, Joanna and her best friend both share the same birth date - the 31st of October. She has heard all the jokes and received all the odd presents over the years, including the clips on the garage wall to fix on the broomstick.

Tony_S, my favourite museum in that town is the Rijksmuseum with it's collection of Rembrandts. Hope the rest of the trip goes to plan.

John(KB), that truly is a beautiful sunset, well captured.

Neil(NHN), I regret that it is impossible to know everything! What I will say is how lucky I have been to have a father who was something of a 'polymath' as well as a mother who indulged me with a long and varied education. Dad, along with several very gifted teachers, gave me a tremendous thirst for knowledge, and a keen interest in everything in the world around me. As Dylan Thomas said when writing about his youth - "the ball I threw while playing in the park, has not yet reached the ground", and with that attitude I have never stopped learning and absorbing new facts! The incredible thing about RMweb, and ERs in particular, is the way in which it works like a computer memory retrieval system, reminding you of events in what has been a fairly long life.

Duncan, thanks for the kind words, I promise to keep the bulletins rolling.

As we are about to enter 'the hump', another week is flying by, and due to lots of medical appointments I may not be able to post every day. Best wishes to all our recovering invalids,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

PS, the RHTT with what sounded like it's two 57s just rumbled past, much later tonight! Archie no problem as the double glazing where he sleeps masks the sound! J.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 14

I once had a flight from Heathrow to Paris CDG in a very lightly loaded B757 - took off like a rocket and had a strong tail wind so I think in total it spent longer taxiing at LHR and CDG than it did in the air.

So tomorrow is the big day and depending on when the old lot log me off or the new lot log me on - plus grasping at BT technology and trying to understand their instructions about 'simple set-up' I might be absent for some time.  Then it's possibly several days of 'poor service' while the new kit and connection decide how they work.  So it's wait & see time.

G'night all.

Good luck Mike, I was lucky when I had BT Infinity installed, the chap who called was 'old school' and even had a play on my PC to show me the benefits! Hope you are as lucky!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

PS Jock, gutted that I am not allowed Stanier Pacifics on our club layout of Chapel en le frith!!

Baz,

I may be jumping in without knowing the full background for the comment, but isn't it a little bit too PC to not allow "anything" on a club layout, especially for members? I understand that there may be some open-house operating sessions where the club might want to be particularly true to the layout era/locale but surely the club/layout is for the members enjoyment over "rivet-counting" exercises?

I was fortunate YEARS ago to be travelling frequently to Milwaukee on business almost every three weeks, and managed to track down an excellent model railroad club with a brilliant layout of the Milwaukee Road. They had some very realistic scenes and consists, but STILL allowed me to run my BR stock even as a VISITOR! They actually enjoyed the change of pace. Seems to me some of the "stuffier" clubs could learn from that approach.

Again, apologies if I step on any/too many toes with this post.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Dark it is, sleepy I am still and need another cuppa…

As Dylan Thomas said when writing about his youth - "the ball I threw while playing in the park, has not yet reached the ground", and with that attitude I have never stopped learning and absorbing new facts! 

That is an attitude I can very well endorse, and to which I myself subscribe!

• Like 3

This reminds me when I reported a water leak in our road a few years back. The water was actually gushing out to a height of about a foot, then running down and threatening to wash a neighbour's garden away. I called United Utilities to be informed that they could not act on my report until it was corroborated by another person. I told them that there was absolutely no doubt about the leak, but they were adamant. I then went next door and got a different neighbour to also report it. I then went and built a small dam to route the water away from the neighbour's garden until UU came and fixed the leak.

Finally, someone who gives a dam.

I'll get my coat.

Before I do that, Hallowe'en is almost upon us, and Mrs. Squid has gone somewhat overboard decorating the garden, which is visible from the road the local kindergarten children are taken on their walks, so every couple of hours I keep hearing a little gaggle of toddlers getting excited by the kabocha (pumpkins) and obake (ghosts).

Generic greetings etc., barely time to keep up with the last page these days.

• Like 16

Morning all. The start of what appears to be a wet few days.

Jock and Dom - I'm of the same opinion when it comes to learning and I try to learn at least two new things a day.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all from a very wet Sutton,

12oC and the rain could be heavy through the morning but clearing up later with chance of some sunshine.

I have to await delivery of a new bed for the old railway room/spare bedroom this morning and then I will vacate it permanently. Well almost because my spare computer and the printer still live there.  :whistle:  I have been instructed not to put anything else there on pain of death or worse :girldevil: . :butcher:  

I was pleasantly surprised last night by being asked if I wanted "yet another train" for my Birthday & Christmas!  'twould have been rather churlish to refuse so I didn't. Rather pleased as the presents I've ordered for myself won't now be appearing until next year. Now all I need to do is decide what but there are some candidates. Black, red, green? Red is currentl favourite but not sure yet  :scratchhead:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 6

Good morning one and all and especially to the unwell

I did battle with the multiplex yesterday afternoon.  At 1 pm I decided to go for the 1.30 pm showing of Spectre.  There were a lot of kids munching a lot of popcorn and I had to sit nearer the front than I prefer but I was not disappointed.  It was typical James Bond, not to be taken too seriously, and it is perhaps symptomatic of the times in which we live that the word 'sh!t' but with an i instead of an exclamation mark appeared no less than three times.  If there is a moral it is that heroes break rules.  Hooray, I'm half way to being a hero.  When I was nearly home my next door neighbour invited me in for a cuppa.  She was worried about me, bless her for she knows about my assorted ailments.   Mine is not the sort of street where everyone knows everyone else and sees one another every day.   EastEnders?  No thanks.

Tonight I will attend the HMRS area group for a learned discourse on modelling in P4 by Terry Bendall.  Before that I must load the car with toolkit and raw materials needed for modelling in Stevenage, for when I return tonight the chances of parking anywhere near the hovel are slim.  Before that there is some light 'entertainment' on TV, viz PMQs or Hansard's Half Hour as I like to call it. 

I have just had to type the last paragraph again, all bar the first few words.  Why did it disappear?  Is it a judgement on me for by-passing the profanity filter?  I must have my bath and wash away my sins.  Au revoir!

Chris

• Like 3

Morning All,

It is a rather grey morning here in Hessen - and I have a day of software testing to look forward to.

Thanks for the comments on Neuschwanstein, Jock - It certainly is a bit of a tourist trap these days, but very beautiful none the less.  I will endeavour to get a few photos up this evening - as Mercedes was quite active with her camera while we were down in the Allgäu.  It was particularly picturesque with the autumnal colours.

Oh well - time for a coffee before we make a start on the tests.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Ian, it is a self imposed ban as I am concerned about a couple of bits of track that my Duchesses might cause bother with.

Wet here. Painting of walls to be completed then I can fix up some locos.

Have a great day everyone.

Baz

• Like 7

I have just had to type the last paragraph again, all bar the first few words.  Why did it disappear?  Is it a judgement on me for by-passing the profanity filter?  I must have my bath and wash away my sins.  Au revoir!

Chris

At least you don't say "Pardon my French", an idiocy which always makes me grind my teeth. The person ahead of me at the checkout in Lidl the other day said that after dropping something and saying "sh*t!"

I chided him: "Mais non, monsieur - en français on dit "merde!", n'est-ce pas?" and received the expected reply:

"Eh?"

Edit: inserted cedilla.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a soggy Surrey. Bus was running lay so we walked it to the station. Luckily the heavy rain had eased so not too wet.

Trains on time this morning. Yesterday train failure around 06.30 near Faygate cause disruption into the evening peak th a train failure around Victoria in the evening added to that but luckily ours was the normal few minutes late home.

Only a tiny bit of work on one of the American N scale stock boxes. Still need to find space for about 6 other locos in time for Warley.

Booked a day trip to Norich in November for just 22 pounds each,return and first class (using our TwoTogether railcard) from Liverpool Street. There are bargains out there if you happen to look at the right time.

We were planning a weekend in Norwich early December but a friend from Ottowa is over so will be doing beer and trains where ever he and an other wish to go plus finalise our winter USA trip.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a damp and misty village.   The road works continue and I've moved both cars up to the church car park so that they can get the trench done across our drive.  

Jock, I did manage to get the seat back together and the car is booked in for it's MOT this morning.   Then s I will be carless for a while the ironing basket is being mentioned as we need to prepare for our journey to France.  We are due to complete on the house there next Tuesday morning and various piles of things that have to be packed in the car are appearing around the house.   We are planning to spend a few days there and decorate the living room as the vendors both smoke.   We won't have much furniture so are taking two folding chairs with us. 

Anyway after chores have been done then it's modelling time.  I need to sort the various bits out for fitting the turntable and will be picking Tony up after tea for an evening modelling.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16