The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Back again, but have really only skimmed through so some ratings missed (and some that the site wouldn't do for some reason), so really it's generic greetings to all - I gather that Jock has been poorly, and that Mal has/is about to start chemo - best wishes to both.

I'm still progressing myself, and each little improvement is a triumph, but I still get quite tired if I exert myself too much - so I'm trying not to do so.

Off now to get a newspaper.

Just been phoned by a company called Sat TV (also trading as Homecare Membership Services) who 'know' that we have been receiving a lot of nuisance calls (we aren't) and they are sending us a device that plugs into the phone (for 3 payments of £26) to stop them.My bet is that the device is useless and they simply sign us up to the free Telephone Preference Service. I've dealt with them before - they were taking money after we cancelled a contract with them. It's someone working out of a semi detached in Worthing.

So be aware.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Earlier sunshine replaced by ugh (but at least it isn't raining) but herself has ventured into the garden - hope she doesn't drown in the longer grass which is absolutely sopping wet (or looks like it is).

I think the answer to Chrisf's question might have something to do with a Q, but not a queue, or even a Scottish mountain.

Polly, it was nice to see the pics of Tyseley - my involvement there ended quite a while back but it was great fun (most of the time) while it lasted.

Have a good day one & all.

And a link to -

http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/homecare-membership-services-limited-08372684/

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, tried to log in this morning but unsuccesful, not sure why could be at my end I guess. Spent the morning chopping kindling which my other half  uses at a rate of knots. A handfull seems to do the job for me!

Blue sky ,sun shine and windy here, leaves flying all over the place and sadly landing on the rear lawns. Will have a gathering of the leaves tommorrow I think, or maybe the day after we will see.

Enjoy your day

Alan

• Like 2

Morning all from a cloudy-with-sunny-intervals Scottish HQ, not a huge amount of chance of me catching up on all 10 pages since I last checked in on Friday afternoon, so congratulations, commiserations as always!

Friday night we ripped up the carpets in the new flat, took down the curtains, stripped some wallpaper out of the alcove bookcase and investigated the floorboards. Saturday involved moving furniture across from one flat to the other, and buying necessary bits and pieces. GF spent yesterday painting and got rid of the wardrobes (sold on Gumtree within a day of posting) while I took Jamie for her swimming lesson and to a friend's birthday party. While she was being amused with dancing, face- and nail-painting, I used the pool and did 64 lengths (a mile).

On the bright side, only 4 more sleeps to Friday...

Reckon I'll have a lot more than four sleeps to Friday.

Ed

• Like 2

Just been phoned by a company called Sat TV (also trading as Homecare Membership Services) who 'know' that we have been receiving a lot of nuisance calls (we aren't) and they are sending us a device that plugs into the phone (for 3 payments of £26) to stop them.My bet is that the device is useless and they simply sign us up to the free Telephone Preference Service. I've dealt with them before - they were taking money after we cancelled a contract with them. It's someone working out of a semi detached in Worthing.

So be aware.

Before they do, contact them and say that it will be being treated as an un-solicited gift. You will return it on reciept of a pre-paid lable, and you will be billing them for storage at the rate of £2 per day in the meantime, and there will be a £10 shipping and handling fee  - watch how fast they back down

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from golden red dragon land.  Amazing the difference a bit of sunshine can make.

I'm in the middle of continuing the scenics on CQ.  Just stopped for lunch but, if you've not had enough Tyseley pics from me yet, there's a few more on Weather pics #209 and many thanks for all the kind ratings you posted, too.

Must get some lunch so I'll catch up later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all! Foggy dreichness and leaves on the ground made driving quite difficult on the first two to three rounds today as I hadn't had this combination in such intensity yet. Scheduled diversion of the "Blue Lines" around Central Station due to engineering work contributed also, in the shape of overly long signalling cycles.

And then there was this moron in his HGV who, while I was in the middle of calling at a stop, blew past me on the left (highly illegal when tracks are in the middle of the road, only permitted when they're near the right hand pavement) at a good 50 kph plus (making this stunt doubly illegal). I rather don't want to imagine the mess that arse'ole might have caused if someone had attempted to walk around the front of my tram as I'd have had no way of seeing said HGV early and giving a warning. If only we had any sort of traffic policing authority...

Afternoon all from golden red dragon land.  Amazing the difference a bit of sunshine can make.

I'm in the middle of continuing the scenics on CQ.  Just stopped for lunch but, if you've not had enough Tyseley pics from me yet, there's a few more on Weather pics #209 and many thanks for all the kind ratings you posted, too.

Must get some lunch so I'll catch up later.

Polly,

Down in Kairdiff it's overcast, miserable and cold! Please send us some of your weather :yes: :yes:

Regards,

Dave

Before they do, contact them and say that it will be being treated as an un-solicited gift. You will return it on reciept of a pre-paid lable, and you will be billing them for storage at the rate of £2 per day in the meantime, and there will be a £10 shipping and handling fee  - watch how fast they back down

In a rather aggressive phone call I told them that if they sent it I would consider it unsolicited goods and destroy it. As Julie had previously told them we didn't want it.

Looks like Debs has been discharged from hospital, according to her Facebook feed.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

It was, and still is a model railway orientated day!

This morning, I went to a friend's to see his new acquisition of a Megapoint servo control system.

I want! £1.50 a servo beats £15 or so for a Tortoise/Cobalt.  In fact for that price I could fit working facing point locks!

This afternoon I've just pre ordered a Bachmann Hawksworth auto coach (lined Maroon).  I also took the opportunity to pre order a pair of 94xx panniers (to be renumbered into the 34xx series because they all lived at Radyr).

My children are now in floods of tears at the thought of their inheritance being frittered away.

Just wait until they see my plans for the garden line..............snigger, snigger, snigger!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back for a quick check in, as I had other things to do earlier.  I believe that I have managed to catch up with the last couple of days at least, but nowadays, ERs moves so fast that it's almost a full time task to keep up to speed.  I can remember in days gone past when there was only a post every hour or so, and sometimes not even that,

Not a lot more to report from this neck of the woods except that the nice sunny afternoon has given way to a quite windy evening, and that's about all.

Now had news that the car part is still on order, but they have another delivery date.  The repairer is adamant that he has tried all sources within the trade, and has still drawn a blank.  I can only accept what he's saying,and he commented that he's got three Peugeots and one Citroen all stripped down and waiting for body parts all taking up repair bays which would otherwise be earning him money. 

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

This morning, I went to a friend's to see his new acquisition of a Megapoint servo control system.

I want! £1.50 a servo beats £15 or so for a Tortoise/Cobalt.  In fact for that price I could fit working facing point locks!

All that glisters may not.....

Mind how you go with those servos. They have lousy noise immunity. If you use them in an electrically noisy environment they are quite likely to go mental from time to time. It gets worse if use long wires to connect them to the control system. Some people have had all sorts of problems with them although others get on fine with them. Proceed with caution.

Of course, you could do what I do and toss the internal electronics and just use the motor and gearing. Then you can control them with nothing but a simple changeover switch, but that's probably a bit extreme for most people.

Many thanks to everyone for their good wishes for today. It was a long day, taking our old 18-year old cat to the vet at 8.20am for blood tests for an overactive thyroid. Then I arrived for the chemo, quite a long 6-hour visit. Nurses explained everything fully and said that it should be closer to 4 hours next time. Tomorrow start on the chemo pills for 14 days then a week off!

Hate the early dark already

Mal

So be aware.

p

Its a small trading estate in Worthing. Backing onto the railway there used to be double glazed windows, a timber yard and several smaller businesses.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Mel, hope the chemo has the desired result and I agree about the early dark, why we have to have this ritual I don't know especially as there is a jump in road accident figures every time the clocks go back. Talking of road accidents, Dom, would your employers consider fitting cameras to the trams to record such incidents as you mentioned? Been nice and sunny this afternoon and according to the delightful Wendy it won't get too cold tonight.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

My usual supportive wishes to those suffering illness and grief.

A busy day starting late after a visit to the GP to see what has fallen off now, not too bad this time!  He's in agreement I have reached the plateau with my hip, we have to try to keep it there for as long as possible to delay the next step in surgery.  Then busy at work and a horrid wet and windy drive home in the dark - ugh.  Some IT hassles too, just to end the day!

PS Go Lewis!   Nice to see how sporting Vettel was on the podium - less so from Rosberg, who I used to support but have gone right off now.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

Evening all and best wishes to all those suffering illnesses of differing kinds. Best wishes to Mal after his very big day. I hope both the vet and hospital visits went well. We were also at the vets this morning with two of the three cats due for their annual booster vaccination. One of the pair was our 20 year old Burmese who has been suffering with all of the polyp problems. Vet was very pleased with her and said that there appears no other problems. The result - another course of the antibiotics.

The rest of the first half term day was spent going round the local garden centres - Sarah wanted to view the Christmas shops and pick up a couple of items from their pet departments. Interesting how she is the one wanting to buy all the lit Christmas buildings to be placed under the tree - alongside the Hornby Christmas train set I bought last year!

In the afternoon I did get some railway modelling done on my exhibition layout (see the Skaleby West blog for progress). Tomorrow is likely to be some Christmas shopping. Yes we do start in October as my work means things get busy closer to the festive period.

• Like 1

So! A 15 year old Northern Irish lad blagged TalkTalk. Well done son, even tho I am a customer. Perhaps they will tighten things up now that they know it wasn't such a serious blag and make it harder for really serious cyber criminals.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1