The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Thanks to all those who sent me messages about my sickness, it really does give you a lift!

A few more tasks accomplished today, despite feeling fairly carp all day, off to sleep soon (if alimentary canal allows!) as I've a late morning appointment with Ms Dracula at Clacton Hospital. Oh, and while we're in town 'I've got some vouchers for M&S' said someone!

DD, some dealers, like plumbers, charge for just looking at a car! We never charged for such a simple fix, which meant the client returned for service. The same was true for a quick bulb, wiper blade, battery or fuse change. Obviously a computer diagnostics check was chargeable, as was anything more serious. My feeling was always that clients who spend little and often always made the company more profit than one who 'walked' because they felt they'd been 'ripped off'.

Ian(OD), a different world indeed, the car trade apparently driven by greed with most manufacturers or major dealer groups advocating performance related salaries/commission. The temptation to cheat clients to raise your own earnings is obvious, and I always avoided the method when I could.

Neil(NHN), you must be careful not to damage your body with such heavy work! As to seats in shops, Debenhams used to supply a Gold credit card which gave lots of useful 'add-ons', one of which was an exclusive coffe lounge with sofas where you could sit and read or watch TV whilst 'herself' tried on every dress in the shop. They also gift wrapped your purchases FOC which could be really useful at Christmas. We got all this for nothing as Joanna, being an accounts person, paid the bill the day it arrived, thus avoiding any charges. Sadly they stopped doing it a few years ago for some unaccountable reason. I don't go along very often now.

Polly, many thanks for the images, the workshop interior reminded me so much of being inside Hurlford shed during rainy weather in the fifties!

Jamie, much worse than a car seat, I rebuilt a special 1938 Rudge Ulster racing engine in my bedroom whilst still in sixth form. Mum went mad when she found out and my protestations that all the parts had been washed and dried before taking them up there, fell on deaf ears!

Duncan, I predicted the outcome of both rugby matches, although yesterday's was a bit of a nail biter. Luckily I don't gamble(although getting married twice throws the lie to that!), so although I didn't win anything, neither did I lose. Hope your week is a little less hectic than the last one!

As I said yesterday, we'll be thinking of Mal and Gabe tomorrow. That goes for all our other poorly members who are hopefully on the mend. Hope Deb's is back with her favourite Collies soon. Hope everyone has the start to the week they desire

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 18

Much more leisurely look around Harltepool show today. . It really was a nice balance of layouts and traders. . .Wish I had the space (and money) for O gauge.

Goodnight Everyone. . . Hope your dreams are pleasant ones.

And special thoughts for those on the sick list.

John

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Will need to get freshened up in a few and be off to work then. Got the old bed to FiL's yesterday, so the flat's tidied up once again.

Best wishes especially to everyone under the weather, and do try to make the best out of this Monday!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Looks dull outside so only a little lighter than it was at this time on Saturday. Still, only a few weeks until the shortest one and then the whole cycle begins again. I hope we all see a good few more of these cycles.

Mal, hope today is the start of a successful process and the whole thing goes as well as it can. You only have to look to Jock and others on here for inspiration.

Have a great week one and all

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2

Good morning one and all and felicitations to the ailing

Yesterday was quiet, as befits the traditional day of rest.  A model which I thought I had abandoned as a hopeless case has made some progress.  It is one of those where a few mm have been lost over the length without it being at all clear where the odd part of a mm has been shaved.  Most folk who run this particular coach either do not know of its shortcomings or do know and do not care.  All hail the freedom of the individual!

Tomorrow's supermarket run needs to be brought forward if there is to be bread in the house.  I do like my toast and will savour the last of the whisky flavoured marmalade that I bought at Swanage fully a year ago.  Such things are called preserves for a reason.

I need to check the showing times for Spectre.  For some reason I love Bond films.  I think it best not to take them too seriously, though that did not work with Skyfall.  I forgot to mention that I went to see Suffragette on Friday.   Meryl Streep is brilliant as Mrs Pankhurst.  If you fancy a brain teaser, try this one: which actor appears in both Suffragette and Spectre?

Until tomorrow, mes amis

Chris 

• Like 15

After we were done in Aachen we headed by train to Pescara to visit Lorna's matron of honour (but we best not go into that here). Anyway, we stayed at Innsbruck for a night, then caught a train to take us into Italy. Our plans were a bit fluid, so we didn't have time to reserve seats which was a pity, because the train was quite full.

There was an older couple sitting on two seats with all their stuff occupying the other two of the four seats. According to the reservation chits above the seats, those seats were reserved, but whoever had reserved them were "no-shows" at Innsbruck. I approached the couple and asked them if we could occupy those seats. "Not on your Nellie" they said (or words to that effect).

I asked them if they might show me the tickets they had for the two unoccupied seats, but they told me they didn't have to do that (by the smirks on their faces they seemed to think this was all rather amusing).

At that point I slightly lost it and told them what I hoped might happen to them in any afterlife they might find themselves in. That seemed to strike a chord, but by then it was obvious that we wouldn't be sitting next to them even if they did move their stinking stuff off the seats.

Consequently, we were stuck in the gangway all the way over the Brenner which meant we could see hardly any of it. When we stopped at the Italian border I found the conductor who directed us to the half-empty first-class carriage at the end of the train!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Not looked out of the window yet l to see what the weather is doing, in cardiff this morning got 4 days here while i learn some new traction, static work today then handling turns the rest if the week, likely to be a run to crewe and back to get the hours in

Got to pick the instructor up at the station later then off to canton

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a sunny Surrey.

A great weekend in mainland Europe only let down by some of the modes of trave.

Yesterday we left Aachen after a very pleasant stay not far from Hautbahnhof.

On arrival into Brussels Centraal we went looking for Brewdog. Turns out it was right opposite us but no signs from that angle. We sat at the bar and had a good chat with one of the bar men who gave us various samples of their beer although most we have tried in the various Brewdog pubs in the UK (we were in the very first one in Aberdeen last weekend).

,A few beers later and a fellow beer lover who lives in our road arrived. We did know he was likely to be there Sunday so it was good to have a few beers together. He then took us to two other bars that we had not tried before. A good time was had before heading to Brussels Midi for the Eurostar home.

On time into St Pancras then the worst part of the journey was trying to work a sensible route home as loads of engineering works meant that we only had one train an hour (there were delays out of London Brudge as well)and we had just missed that LBG to Tonbridge train so we had the choice of getting off at Purley for a replacement bus , wait another hour or take the normal bus service which at least stops not far from our home. We opted for the latter but it still took longer to get from St Pancras than it did from Brussels.

Southern used to run a shuttle service to Redhill when the line South was closed but they now only run the hourly Tonbridge service and replacement bus at other times with a 20 minute wait at Purley for it. Usual appalling treatment from them these days.

Any way, off to work now and a weekend at home ahead.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A rather pleasant morning here.

There will be lots of little tasks to complete today. Robbie needs to go to kennels and we need to pack ready for tomorrow's early start. I thought I had some Euros but I now recall giving them to Matthew before he went to Utrecht.

Tony

• Like 2

morning all,hope everyone had a good weekend,busy morning even before I left,jack was still blissfully sleeping,daisy was wide awake sat on her play mat,inspecting one of jacks cars......he doesant know shes took a shine to the bright yellow oldsmobile....not yet,hell probably hide it if he does !! god luck with the shopping jock,i went sunday.....best wishes to debs,have a good day all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Quick update off FB - Debs is standing by for a possible/probable discharge from hospital this morning.

Back later if ever manage to get caught up on posts from previous day or two.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18

Morning all. There a re beautiful clear blue skies over Borough market Junction. It's half term and I am in early to take advantage of not having to help deal with the Lurker children getting up and going to school. For the same reason I have decided not to catch up yet though I can see that Jock is still suffering, and hope that a night's rest has done his insides good....I'll have a trawl later  if time permits -

Today is the day the mother in law arrives for a week. I look forward to falling over newspapers, which she has a habit of leaving in piles around the place. Mrs Lurker cured me of this habit long ago.

have a good day all

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! Tea being drunk, a bit overcast here but a lie in is being had!

Painting and decorating to do and a trip to send a parcel. Tonight more railways ..hope to get a bit more of our new layout running.

Have a great and peaceful day.

Baz

• Like 17

Good morning all.

Sunny but cool, here in Carshalton-sur-Mer.

Just awaiting the nice man from Sainsbury's, then off to the shed workshop to show Julie how to work an air pinner. Then I have in mind some work with Milliput.

Best wishes today to Mal, Jock, Debs and any others, like Is, in affliction. Autumn doesn't have to be cold and wet, it is also the season of mellow fruitfulness.

Be fierce.

• Like 19

DD, some dealers, like plumbers, charge for just looking at a car! We never charged for such a simple fix, which meant the client returned for service.

Sounds like a very good policy, Jock.

I'm sure I'm not alone in putting great value on good service ... and it's often much cheaper than advertising in the local paper.

There is a branch of ATS nearby (six miles) and they provide outstanding service and have profited by it.

I know that they are not popular everywhere but this branch will go to great lengths to satisfy customers and consequently gets more of them.

Of course, my window problem could have been anything from a broken track to electrical but my friend had encountered the WD40 treatment before and it worked!

(It's a swine to get off the glass though!).

I've been keeping up with your reports, Jock, and join with everyone else in wishing you all the best going forward.

• Like 16

Of course, my window problem could have been anything from a broken track to electrical but my friend had encountered the WD40 treatment before and it worked!

(It's a swine to get off the glass though!).

I can vouch for that, having once upon a time accidentally mistaken a tin of WD40 for a tin of deicer...

• RMweb Premium

Morning from Estuary-Land. Commiserations and congratulations where neccessary, haven't got round to reading the last couple of pages of ER's yet. Just recovered from Saturdays exertions, I had intended to go directly from the toy fair at Brentwood to the exhibition at Chelmsford, until someone I met at Brentwood reminded me that the Chelmsford venue had changed this year. Needless to say I didn't have anything with me about the new venue or even a map so I had to go home to check. As it turned out there were a few signs directing people to the new venue but as Essex C.C. are a bit sniffy about such signs (elfin safe tea is the reason claimed) I didn't want to chance it. I managed to pick up a few bargains at the toy fair including a plastic bus kit for £3 (normally about £10-12), at the exhibition I only purchased a few items but they were giving away free Humbrol acrylic paint. Not of the usual model stuff anyway, its marked 'All crafts stamping paint' and it appears to be a bit thicker than the usual model paint. Colour choice was a bit limited consisting of four shades of blue, 'lavender', gold and a more useful green, brown and white. You were not allowed to choose which colours, it was all or nothing but I was given some extra of the white when I asked.

• Like 14