The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A special welcome this morning to all those who have discovered it is even earlier than they think because they overlooked the clock-change ;)

After arriving home at 01.06 from the Palace shift I was up at 06.00 to ensure the lovely Mrs. G. was safely away on a business trip; she was duly collect as arranged at 06.45 and has texted me to say she is now safely sat on Sid's knee sat in Sydney.  I then had a swift breakfast and went back to bed.  At 10.30 I then got up again, had another breakfast and started the day!  Welcome to Sunday :D

Bit of fiasco yesterday as there's a lot of weekend track work across half the network including my own line being replaced by buses for part of the trip.  Well-loaded 6-car train arrives at transfer point to discover no bus present.  One bus eventually pulls in and the driver is gamely persuaded to run another trip despite hoping for a rest.  About a  quarter of the train-load piles on with the rest abandoned and another train due in within a couple of minutes .....  I haven't found out what the problem was yet but I suspect right hand failure to communicate with left over the number of buses required.

Kids learn bad ways.  They learn them from day one.  I don't have a magic answer and am eternally grateful for having been brought up in a stable and loving family environment.  The more people I meet the more I realise that is sadly almost not the norm.  One good friend was for some years the manager of what is commonly called a backpacker's hostel and found it convenient and rewarding to make use of supervised day-release offenders to manage the large area of land attached to the property which, frankly, was beyond the capacity of a substantially-proportioned middle-aged woman to deal with.

It all went very well for years until it ended abruptly on the day she discovered the suggestion "F*** OFF" mowed in her lawn right down to the dirt.  It took over year for that to fully grow out meanwhile the offending area was hastily reassigned as camping pitches with tents suitably positioned to spare blushes!

It's 29C.  There are still buses replacing our trains meaning I require an hour extra in each direction to and from the Palace.  I must therefore head off with best wishes to you all and see you anon.

Edited by Gwiwer

Morning all,

Sadly you will see by the time of this post that sleep has been patchy, and to top it off, for some reason (possibly because of the break up of the flu-like symptoms?) I've just been terribly sick! I've just taken the appropriate pill supplied by one of the chemo 'angels'!

Stable door wide open........?

Going to have a quick catch up on the night's posts so far, and then try to get the eyes to stay shut - at least I've got the extra hour!

Have a good Sunday, c'mon Lewis!

Kind regards,

Jock.

We decided to go to the Tyseley Open Day some time ago but as the day approached the forecast looked pretty grim so we didn't make definite plans to go yesterday until Friday.  It was raining when we left home in the morning but we left the rain behind and arrived at Tyseley Locomotive Works in the dry.  Highlight of the planned events was the re-naming of 50yr old AL6 86259 'Les Ross' to 'Peter Pan' but 6201, the big red engine, was our main attraction as it had been pencilled in for the railtour we chose for our big red anniversary which was sadly cancelled, altogether.  So, if the loco couldn't come to us...

There were other biggies there, too, of the models I have or would like for my Southall based layout: 71000, 7029 (in the workshop), 5043, 3717, 2885. And it was great to see 6000 out in the open having seen it in the NRM last December.  Still a challenge to photograph it, by now in the rain.  And the LNWR coal tank 1054? Well, she's a beauty.

If anyone would like a pic or two just say and I'll sort some out tomorrow.

But for now, it's 'night all and nos da from red dragon land.

Yes please Polly,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Good morning one and all

So what does one do with an extra hour in bed?  Spend some of it busting for the loo, perhaps.  I have had the radio on half the night hoping that it would send me back to sleep and vaguely remember that listeners to Radio 5Live, surprisingly many in number no doubt, voted 'Eleanor Rigby' as their favourite Beatles track.   Before slumber arrived last night I read the latest MRJ properly, finished a book [reading, not writing] and checked on a few details of a GWR coach in Russell [not always a simple process].

The weather forecast threatened ground frost so I enabled the central heating for the first time since about March.  I found later that the timer needed re-setting and there is some threat that today will be unseasonably warm.  Never mind, a nice warm house is handy when you are busting for the loo, be it at 5.15 am or any other time.

My bank cannot find the direct debit authority in favour of TalkTalk.  Let us hope that the hackers have not stolen it.   What I did find in the four pages of printout I was given was that I have two direct debits for the same magazine.  This would be because the subs agency refused to listen when I told them that the cancellation performed by the bank had been reversed and set up a new one which took ages to come into force.  Is nothing simple these days??

My fondest thoughts to those who are ailing.

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Aachen.

We had a very pleasant evening here. Its an interersting place to wander around. Found a model shop opposite the Rathaus but it was closed by the time we found it. Probably a good thing really!

This morning we head off to Brussels the old way, taking a local service into Belgium then an internal Intercity service to the capital.

We have the afternoon there before tkaing an evening Eurostar service back to London.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Sorry to hear you've been poorly, Jock, so I hope today'll find you in a better state.

Guests for dinner last night, which was lamb with taboulé. Sleepy still in spite of the extra hour, so perhaps I have yet to get used to that new bed!

Morning from Aachen.

We had a very pleasant evening here. Its an interersting place to wander around. Found a model shop opposite the Rathaus but it was closed by the time we found it. Probably a good thing really!

Would that be Hünerbein? Only know him through his web shop, which indeed is extensive already!

Enjoy what you do today…

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I'll repeat visit the show tomorrow with my mate for a proper look.

John

I'm in attendance today too.

If you could both wear a red carnation I'll make a point of saying 'blimey' and moving quickly to the other end of the building.

Morning all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village.  Church this morning which will be rather busier than usual as we have a 'dedication'  (We're Baptist so don't do Chrsitenings) and the church will be full of the family, friends and supporters of the infant.  Sitting at the back doing the sound today I suspect I may spend time sorting extra chairs out.   Anyway we had a good meal with the FiL last night he's now 90 and getting very tired and frail. However the meal and v=conversation was good.   We're not sure how much longer he will be with us so these evenings are special.  After we've attended the after dedication party it will be back home and hopefully some modelling.

That video of the derailed train was interesting.  It seems that they stopped the train, realised the track was being undermined and then got out before it tipped over.  A very lucky crew.  

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The sun has appeared and a fine dry day with sunny periods is forecast.

A great day was had yesterday at my old rugby club reunion. Watched a match (in the rain) and they managed to just beat our local rivals 5-0. Spent about 6 hours there altogether and met many old clubmates and schoolfriends (it was originally our school Old Boys before the demise of the grammar schools.) A common theme to the day (apart from the copious amounts of beer) was the greeting "Blimey - thought you were dead". I suppose as a lot of us are in our late sixties/seventies and a couple in their eighties that is not surprising. Regrettably there were a few missing faces who had passed on to that "great pitch in the sky".  The attendance was fantastic with people travelling from all over the British Isles, Europe and even one from Australia. All in all a very enjoyable time.

Today I am required to accompany The Boss to the shops. This will not be so enjoyable.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a sunny North West Leeds hillside.

We normally have an extra hours sleep during our club exhibition. The changes to school holidays has kicked that into touch.

Today is fixing trains, wiring some track and umpiring. Food will also be consumed.

Have a great day.

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Sorry to hear you've been poorly, Jock, so I hope today'll find you in a better state.

Guests for dinner last night, which was lamb with taboulé. Sleepy still in spite of the extra hour, so perhaps I have yet to get used to that new bed!

Would that be Hünerbein? Only know him through his web shop, which indeed is extensive already!

Enjoy what you do today…

Yes thats the shop.

Morning all from a brighter Berkshire.  The internet is such a waste of time.  Just lost the best part of 25 minutes watching this.

I'll never get a train running if I don't get off this bloomin' computer.  Have a good day whatever is in store for you....

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

And the LNWR coal tank 1054? Well, she's a beauty.

At the risk of causing mass rotations in certain Welsh churchyards, I have to admit that you are right there.

In fact there is one of the Bachmann versions on order for my Valleys line. 

My excuse is that it will be on a district engineers inspection from Abergavenny, that has somehow become diverted.

Well I have to have something fitting to haul my ex LMS inspection saloon. (Which was the most expensive coach I've ever bought!)

A bit of blue sky over Telfland this morning.

Elsa, unaware that the clocks had been put back, despite her following me around when I reset them all last night, came into our boudoir this morning to find out why breakfast had not been prepared and laid out for her.

Telling her it's too early has no effect, because she is deaf.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has now announced she is unwell with a sore throat, but my suggestion she remains in bed and that I will pander to her every need has not had the desired effect.

This means I now have to leave the keyboard and be sociable to her rather than my ER cronies! 

• RMweb Premium

Morning, a pre-groudle look in as my personal body clock refuses to be re-set.  Takes me a couple of weeks, and it's worse going the other way.  How I used to cope at sea when you could be losing or gaining an hour days for several in a row I will never understand!

I agree about the coal tank, I saw it running at Keighley just after it was completed, and again more recently, it is spotless.  Might try to find a photo.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Bright and sunny in Babbacombe. Yesterday's rain and drear was gone by early afternoon, so when we went to the pub on the cliffs after dark the distant lights of Exmouth etc were very bright.

Today Sherry's daughter and family appear and we go for lunch at a nearby hotel.

The issue of the iMacs and screen size is noted. What's 5.5 inches between two people about to marry?

Sherry's ex is busy disposing of unwanted assets from the family home. Sherry has found his ads on Gumtree, some sort of sales site, and his photography skills, having regard to trying to sell something, are impressive. So the coffee table surface is almost obscured by crap, with two open boxes of tissues and a box of paper napkins among other detritus. We dropped into the local charilty shop - where Sherry found several items she'd suggested should be kept, and at least one for which she had some sentiment. Never vindictive, he just isn't cut out for this sort of thing, can't remember where things came from.

Hope your Sunday succeeds, with, in particular, Stewart making more progress and Jock finding his sickness just a one-off.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Today I am required to accompany The Boss to the shops. This will not be so enjoyable.

Soon be Christmas.

This why I am required to attend but have just been informed "we" have £75 of M & S vouchers which will be used to procure wine so maybe there will be a little bit of enjoyment in the trip.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has now announced she is unwell with a sore throat, but my suggestion she remains in bed and that I will pander to her every need has not had the desired effect.

This means I now have to leave the keyboard and be sociable to her rather than my ER cronies! 

Just suggest that she rests her voice so that it can get better then retire quickly to the muddy hollow.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning.

Greetings from a sunny South Essex.

No plans for today. Aditi is possibly going to buy some shoes but I don't think I am required to accompany her.

Tony

Do tell her that her shoes need no longer be 'flat and sensible'.

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning.

Greetings from a sunny South Essex.

No plans for today. Aditi is possibly going to buy some shoes but I don't think I am required to accompany her.

Tony

Why would she need new shoes now she is retired?

That's modelling money being wasted!

You are going to have to get a grip on this before it spirals out of hand.

Next thing will be Kipling handbags...........

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just suggest that she rests her voice so that it can get better then retire quickly to the muddy hollow.

Jamie

Thank you for the kind and considerate suggestion which I immediately passed on.

I am now ensconced in the muddy hollow trying to cool a suddenly enlarged and grossly misshapen pair of test tikkles.