The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good evening all and best wishes to Mal for the start of his treatment.

I type this whilst lying in Amber's room waiting for her to drift off to sleep. It could be close who drifts off first. How I am still standing today I am not quite sure. After the early start I have got through a busy morning at work before returning home for my planning time this afternoon. Then it was back to work for the second round of patents evening appointments. This started at 4.20 and ended at 8pm some 70 minutes behind schedule. The last two appointments accounted for much of that. The final one not being a particularly pleasant experience. To add to this the ladies serving refreshments forgot my drinks and so, as I type, it is now five hours since my last liquid intake! With late running and no chance to catch up there was no time to go and fetch one either.

I really hope I get some decent sleep tonight. I can't afford a third sleepless night.

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Well, it's my Friday, whatever you call it.  4 day weeks should be compulsory of the over 50's :sungum:

I am right behind the dowager Duchess of Grantham, when she enquires:

'Pray tell, what is a weekend?'

I have since been told that this is when ordinary people, are allowed time off from their employment.

Thank the Lord that Downton Abbey is fiction.

Can you imagine what the world would be like if people were really allowed to idle their time away in such a manner?

The Welsh aristocracy (that's me, Danemouth and The Stationmaster, by his association with Radyr) shudder at such a thought!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Where were you hiding today then? I'll wave more energetically next time I'm over there.

That's a bit of bad luck Gordon.

I take it that you've withdrawn your application to join Wentworth too.

Where were you hiding today then? I'll wave more energetically next time I'm over there.

That's a bit of bad luck Gordon.

I take it that you've withdrawn your application to join Wentworth too.

Yes we could see Fraggle Rock from Ravenglass when I used to volunteer there.  I remember watching the Summerland Fire.

Jamie

• Like 2

If you have an old Citroen DS you could always take off one of the back wheels, strap up the suspension arm, and run it as a trike.

It's true you know. A Citroen dealer in Edinburgh ran a DS round Ingliston race track to prove the point. It was quite funny to watch too.

• Like 9

It's true you know. A Citroen dealer in Edinburgh ran a DS round Ingliston race track to prove the point. It was quite funny to watch too.

I know that because we drove one, from the chairman's collection, around the garage car park! Other benefits too - when you needed to change a wheel, loosen the bolts slightly, raise the suspension to high setting, wind the jack up by hand under the corner you wish to change, then lower the suspension which lifts that corner off the ground. Labour saving! They were also great for towing being self levelling!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 14

Evening all.

Had a most enjoyable day out. Managed to travel up the Cumbrian Coast, as I had hoped, behind a 37. Didn't half bring back some great memories.

I thought I might have spotted Niel offshore but no, it just looked misty on the horizon. I have seen the Isle of Man from some of the fells but can you ever see it from the Cumbrian coast or is it beyond the horizon?

I think I'll treat myself to a snack and a glass of red to finish the day off. Enjoy the rest of your evenings.

The view from my house includes the Isle of Man, and I am close to sea level, being less than 100 metres from the railway line near St Bees. You were unlucky as the IoM has been quite clear recently. On a very clear day, I have been able to spot the masts on the top of Snaefell (the highest part of the IoM), but that is very rare.

EDIT! Just seen Neil's reply, so a bit late with mine.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 13

BINGO!

Just paid for my late crest BR S15, and then some :)

They needed someone to bail on my flight for the princely sum of $700US.

Think I can manage to sit at JFK for another 1.5hrs for that sort of cash.

Hornby now showing my pre-order S15 waiting for payment so they can ship it - they have arrived.

• Like 19

They needed someone to bail on my flight for the princely sum of $700US.

Think I can manage to sit at JFK for another 1.5hrs for that sort of cash.

$700US for a bump!!?? What airline was that? - I want to book with them!

Edit - changed 'fly' to 'book'.

Edited by pH
  • Like 8

A feature that saved the life of Charles de Gaulle. 22nd August 1962 the OAS attempted an assassination at Petit-Clamart outside Paris. In a hail of machine gun fire one of the rear tyres of the DS19 was blown out, but the car was able to continue at unabated speed, with De Gaulle sitting ramrod-straight in his seat, because, as he said to his wife beside him, it is important never to show fear...

• Like 4

$700US for a bump!!?? What airline was that? - I want to book with them!

Edit - changed 'fly' to 'book'.

Delta... the advantage of flying hub to hub at times when folks are tying to connect to other long distance/international routes.

Frequently happens on the "right" flights. That's why I book the last-but-one flight out of JFK :)

Too many folks needing to connect and frequently oversold.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 7

Evening all.

I've returned from a research trip in the NRM at York, via a Trustee meeting in Deptford.  I've sort of caught up with news, but need to hit the sack as I need to get the layout to Beckenham tomorrow.

Bill

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Delta out of JFK sounds rather like BA out of Schihpol for LHR on a Friday evening - always something to hope for if you were coming back from a meeting in Amsterdam on a Friday that they would seek volunteers to be bumped - hotel (3 * minimum) overnight plus a couple of hundred quid for your trouble.  Alas I was never lucky but a colleague who went to more Amsterdam meetings than me managed it one one occasion - the Dutch found it odd that we were always happy to have meetings over there on a Fridays.

Anyway g'night all.

• Like 15

Evening all,

Had another busy day, but little Freddie performed well at the school harvest festival. After a short tutorial with my 'blonde bombshell' granddaughter - she's studying Euripides play 'Medea' and went to London yesterday to see the rather 'different' version currently running at the Almeida theatre, I had to run her to school. As she had a virtually free morning, she wanted to come and discuss the symbolism of the modern version before going into this afternoon's sixth form discussion group. I get a real kick out of helping her as it gets my brain whirring again.

I'm rather disappointed that I completely missed a BBC series called 'Grand Tours of the Scottish Islands' when it was first screened. Tonight, BBC2 HD ran the final episode as a repeat and it was fascinating. Tonight's programme had Paul Murton travelling to the Inner Hebrides on board one of the last surviving ocean going steam 'Puffers', 'VIC32', skippered by a man who served on them during his working life. They went to a fairly much forgotten Island, Kerrera, only about 4 miles long but extremely important to the Allied efforts in the Atlantic during WW2. It was here that the Sunderland and Catalina flying boats were based to both bomb the u-boats or rescue sailors and downed airmen. They famously kept the 'Bismarck' in sight until the capital ships caught and sank her. He also went to islands like Seil, Easdale, and the Garvellachs* (*anyone who doesn't know them, but is interested in history and religion should Google them and read about the settlement on one of them, Eileach an Naoimh [isle of the Saints] formed by St Brendan in 542AD and thought to be the oldest in Scotland, pre dating that on Iona! St Columba's mother is thought to be buried there.) I suppose it meant so much to me as we visited several of the Inner Hebrides on the 'road rail' holiday I mentioned in an earlier post. There I go, drifting down memory sound again, apologies!

Andy(leopard), good to have you back posting my friend, trust you are fit and well?

John(Two_sugars), I was already asleep when you posted at 01.09 this morning, but sadly it looks as if Joanna has caught the bug and both of us coughing and spluttering meant we were awake several times through the night. Hopefully we'll be over it soon.

Chrisf, I'm also building the occasional kit to keep my modelling interest going as neither my fitness or budget are up to baseboard building yet.

Ian(RH), sorry to read that things aren't too good at work at the moment but I suppose it is useful to keep the beer vouchers pouring in! I guess you didn't really need the travel delays to brass you off even more - I hope the beers make it all seem worthwhile tomorrow - enjoy.

Dave(TG), another lovely set of Autumn images thank you.

Mal, great news that you finally have a date for the chemo start - it is entirely natural to be apprehensive, but speed really is important and if you maintain a really positive approach, you'll greatly enhance the efficacy of the drug! Hope this evening's family fun took your mind off things. Please PM me if you feel the need to talk.

gordon s, sorry to hear you are on such a restrictive medication routine - not for anything very serious I hope? (Or have I missed something??).

PhilJW, once again we are indebted to you for an update on Debs, thank you.

Andy(ram), things can only get better! Sleep well tonight my friend.

Many thanks for all the kind wishes sent my way, I'm off to catch up with some sleep now, but I'll be thinking of all those of us with problems, however slight. By the way, has anyone heard if Ian(OD) has landed safely in Blighty?

Kind regards and sweet dreams,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night owls!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Best wishes especially to Mal for the forthcoming.  Stay bright, look at the sun shining out from the edge of the cloud.  Walk towards the light.

Also to others in need of support and friendship particularly Ian and Sherry for the forthcoming coupling.

Currently in an electronic chat with a long-time friend who has just advised he and his wife of ten years are parting company; it seems the spark has gone after lengthy illness and consequent serious financial woes.  I might become custodian pro tem of his layout and rolling stock collection.  That would return to the fold the numerous items I sold him some years back!

Tis POETS Day again already.  Fat chance here.  Another grey cool day with a late shift at the Palace followed by lates through the weekend as well.  He who signs off early gets pay docked and a "Please Explain" form.  

• RMweb Gold

Night all.

Aditi retrieved safely from pub in Stratford. Her colleagues chosen pub had an open mic music night tonight so we are all slightly deaf. I successfully drive home, didn't mess up any gear changes either. Aditi had parked in the shopping centre car park and it looked as if we couldn't get back to the car but a nice security man directed us. I told Aditi she couldn't go to sleep until there were signs showing A13. Of course it was reduced to one lane for resurfacing tonight so not a particularly quick journey home.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Aditi retrieved safely from pub in Stratford.

Pleased to hear it.

That reminds me of the nights that friends and myself needed "retrieving" from the "Eddy" - the King Edward VII - on Stratford Broadway.  It's impossible to miss the last 238 back to Manor Park now as it's become a 24-hour service but back in the 80s it was a fair hike home after the last pint!

• Like 11