The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening friends.

Usual good supportive wishes to those in need. 

Having considered the advice offered regarding the drawing, I think Baz is right - frame it, enjoy it, write it into my will to bequeath it to a museum.  I WISH I could remember where it came from - I suspect a long passed friend though. 

I will try to photograph it and will contact Beamish, I wasn't aware Ken Hoole's collection was held there.  If it ends up there then all well and good, but I have no intention of popping my clogs just yet.

Brought a couple of hose Bachmann PMV/CCT's home with me, didn't intend getting any until next month but they are absolutely flying out, and Bachmann have said one type is sold out already, and the others going fast.  The market must have been hungry for these, for this parcels vehicle fan they are welcome, and will be interested to compare them with the ones I already have, some I made and some better ones from our Baz Himself in fact.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 4

One thing for any other Virgin customers to watch out for. If you have one of their stupid super hubs, they will shortly be piggy backing your wifi into a public hot spot. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/isp-virgin-media-turns-superhub-routers-into-uk-public-wifi-hotspots.html By default you are opted in to this. If you don't want to share or don't trust this, then you must manually opt out either by phone or changing your preferences on their website.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Andrew. Our new Virgin SuperHub arrived yesterday - nothing mentioned about wifi hotspots at all but then we're not in London. Will keep a close watch on it. Wonder if you decide to opt-in whether the hub has to be switched on all the time?

Best wifi I've ever used is in the Betjeman Bar on St Pancras - really fast.

Mal

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good evening friends.

Brought a couple of hose Bachmann PMV/CCT's home with me, didn't intend getting any until next month but they are absolutely flying out, and Bachmann have said one type is sold out already, and the others going fast.  The market must have been hungry for these, for this parcels vehicle fan they are welcome, and will be interested to compare them with the ones I already have, some I made and some better ones from our Baz Himself in fact.

I was going to wait until we finished our jaunt around Europe (next week) but I have just submitted an order. I do hope insider trading people don't arrest me!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Andrew. Our new Virgin SuperHub arrived yesterday - nothing mentioned about wifi hotspots at all but then we're not in London. Will keep a close watch on it. Wonder if you decide to opt-in whether the hub has to be switched on all the time?

Best wifi I've ever used is in the Betjeman Bar on St Pancras - really fast.

Mal

I am only guessing but I suspect these Virgin WiFi hotspots are similar to the BT Fon, or BT wifi-x sharing schemes that have been available for some years now. I have allowed mine to share and haven't experienced any problems. Allegedly there is no risk to me. No silent black helicopters hover over the house! Before you say how would I know, I can assure you Robbie would bark!
  • Like 13

Evening all. Hump day over, but it has been a difficult and long process. The ongoing issue at school was running through my head resulting in just three hours total sleep. This was followed by a 12 hour day with a busy parents evening following the day at school. Other late running staff members left me about 20 minutes late at the end. Luckily I had given Sarah a conservative estimate as to my estimated arrival home time. As a result I was able to nip over to Burton on Trent for the toy fair. I was tempted the Hornby D16 but resisted again.

Work didn't stop when I got home as I had promised to deliver a couple of Sarah's Avon orders. I finally sat down for food about 9pm. Tomorrow sees a longer parents evening and the prospect of the evening taxi run, picking Sarah and Amber up from her mum's. A long day beckons.

Finally best wishes to Ian and Sherry ahead of their big day.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. As I have one of the Virgin hubs I was a little concerned about it becoming a Wi-Fi hot spot, but then I have been told that it only has a range of about 10 metres. The only people within range are my next door neighbours and the people next to them and then to connect you require the code on the bottom of the hub.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! Back from the Club having played trains.

Neil a comparison may show that some are clean and others dirty....:-)

But the wheels will be very different.

Off to bed as I am off darn earth in the morning. Travelling with verging on the rediculous I may get to my reunion on time.

It's the annual Challenger 2 Vickers Defence Systems/MOD lunchtime drinks and food. The world will be put to rights...and some good friends will enjoy the company.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Baz

P's her indoors once rammed the side of our house in Didcot. House 1 Metro 0 but she never mentions it.....and neither do I for some reason.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Plus the Fusion has the rather nice Aston - Martin derived grill! I’ve driven a rental of the Lincoln equivalent and found it a nice drive too.

Best, Pete.

I would seriously consider buying one as my next car for that reason ACTUALLY, given all the other reasons/features that make it a desirable vehicle :) Sadly, I'm unlikely to be in the market for anything nearer an Aston than that :jester: and it's remarkable how many folks over here, are fooled :)

It's a Ford family thing - here's my AM lookalike front grille......

post-408-0-70940400-1445467498_thumb.jpg

Less than three weeks from new in my care and it's just short of 2000 miles on the clock.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As Tony and Mike have said, it's fiber to the cabinet. From the cabinet to your house is probably some variation of DSL - (originally Digital Subscriber Loop in the US).

It's quite clever how it works because those old phone lines were never designed to support the sort of data rates they manage to cram down them. Here's a link with more info. 

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband_DSL.php

Used to be called ADSL in BT land and when you got the suppressor things to allow you to sensibly use the 'phone while data was whizzing to & fro.

The interesting thing about the way it was configured (and might still be?) is that it only use one wire of the telephone line pair.  This was rather helpful some years back when we were in Tilehurst when BT's cabling was in grotty condition at the bottom of our road - the 'phone stopped working but the internet link carried on as if nothing had happened, until the entire cable went phut.

G'hight all - off to the optician tomorrow with fingers crossed and eyes hopefully not in that state.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a cold grey place an hour south of the Palace of Attendance.  Penguins have been sighted.  Polar Bears are not expected.  The local hopping-mouse population has furry coats on.

I've driven a few oddities when it comes to gear shifts.  Conventional stick, dash "stick", column stick, regular auto and "sports" auto.  Semi-auto with the mini-stick up on the binnacle top right hand side was entertaining.  Fully automatic with "Depress clutch pedal to start vehicle" was a novelty - the "pedal" was a button on the floor in the position of the pedal.  Volvo's push-button gear selection took a little getting used to not least the necessity to wait a few seconds in neutral between any change of direction; direct changes D to R / R to D were locked out.

Don't ask me about electronic parking brakes.  Give me a stick, a lever or something I can check is applied and know when I'm releasing ......

Still the best car I've driven is  the Kia C'eed.  Had two on different UK hires.  Short lever manual with very positive shift, conventional brake, superb handling and responsive with it.  Achieved around 66mpg as well.  

Current steeds are the 2001 Kia Rio 5-speed manual mentioned above and a 1998 Ford Falcon automatic - an Aussie model, bigger and more robust than most Euro models - which is nearing the end of its life but with a 4 litre dual-fuel power unit still cruises effortlessly for hours on end when required.  Known by some as Foul Cans (or Fowl Cans when then becomes bastardised to Chook Tins) but nothing rusts here so the curse of the Dagenham Dustcarts doesn't afflict us.

It's time to put the Gwiwer in the shower prior to Attendance.  Sleep well / enjoy your day according to time zone.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14

Morning all,

Bit of a 'carp' night last night (literally!) hence the broken sleep, and tomorrow morning we are starting early to go and watch young Freddie walk in to St Johns church with his infants school for Harvest Festival. I'll be outside taking the photos to avoid a thunderbolt!

LisaP4, glad to hear that your eBay seller did the honourable thing, and you've managed to source another copy - he obviously hadn't read it himself!

AndyID, glad to read that the 3D printer now appears to be working properly thanks to your ingenious modification. Look forward to seeing some of the product when you get round to it, especially points bases and the like.

Robert, the comical boat launches are still happening in Clacton! We used to get the call-out frequently at my last garage (nearest to the slip-way in Holland on Sea) to rescue drowned cars which had been badly manoeuvred by people without experience (or brains?), right in to the sea. I recall some years ago that our mechanics arrived to find a boat and trailer hanging off the side of the slip-way at low tide, held only by the tow bar hitch. The loon had never reversed a trailer before that day, when he brought his new dinghy to the seaside for the first time! Had to rig chains on the long arm of a JCB to lift it back on, with his wife yelling at our chaps not to dare scratch her boat!!

We get around 30-40 Mb/s download and 5-9 Mb/s upload from BT Infinity fibre optic broadband, and yes, from the hole in the road to the house is still the same old cable! It does seem faster though, and a fairly reliable connection with only one outage since we've had it!

Must get some sleep now so it only remains to wish everyone improved health, and I hope Ian(OD) has landed safely on these shores. Sip more of single malt (medicinal purposes of course!).

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

Edited by Jock67B

Hello folks, rather an odd greeting at this time of day I know, but I really mean hello in the sense of renewing acquaintances as some 190 pages or so ago I said I'd be absent for a while due to being busy at the ABH weekend.

I hope you'll all understand if I can't catch up, especially as the head's been 'busy' but the body hasn't.

Just to say best wishes to everyone and to hope that life's not dealt any really serious blows whilst I've been AWOL.

G'night.

• Like 14

Tinterwebnet speed is, I'm afraid, a joke in this corner of a foreign field the "Northern Powerhouse" . . On a good day I'll get 4Mbps download speed, If it rains hard I could lose it completely.

Went to Peter's Spares (Other purveyors of model railway accessories are available) with nephew today. . . He bought some bits for his 'OO' gauge A4 collection . . a tender and a buffer beam, I think. . .I bought a couple of lengths of code 55 flexi . . could be in danger of laying the inner loop this week.

It's been a lovely day in this neck of the woods.

Good night Everyone . . .Sleep well. . . That means you too, Jock.

Edited to correct errors caused by being not very awake. . 

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 14

Morning all. Well the Glen Moray did not work. After crawling into bed at 11.30pm last night I slept until 2.30, then drifted off until 4.15 but have been wide awake ever since. On the back of the previous night's disturbed sleep that has not been welcome, especially as today sees parents evening appointments until 7pm tonight following the day's teaching. You would think my body would be forcing me to sleep! Coffee by drip please!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Woke up at about 3.30, felt uncomfortable,went down had tea and some bread and then read until I heard Aditi get up.

More tea soon. I said I will get the train to Stratford this evening and collect Aditi from her retirement celebration.

I have no idea what the weather is like, it is dark outside.

Tony

• Like 1