The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just found an interesting artefact I didn't know I had - or at least have totally forgotten about. It's a rather large coloured drawing of the entire third rail electrical system for the Tyneside system, north and south, dated 1939.  A really nice piece of work that deserves preservation, but I am not sure where.  If it went to the NRM it would be lost in a dusty drawer somewhere I feel, it would be nice to see it displayed somewhere appropriate. 

Any ideas?

Neil,

I'm sure it would look good framed in the discovery museum in Newcastle on Tyne who proudly show life and technology of the area through the ages. I believe it's housed in the old CWS building?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

....I had to go and collect the child's book and check their work to so that I could remember the bloke's name and complete the display. Is this what being 40 does to you??

Hi Alan.

Just wait for a few more years......

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Just found an interesting artefact I didn't know I had - or at least have totally forgotten about. It's a rather large coloured drawing of the entire third rail electrical system for the Tyneside system, north and south, dated 1939.  A really nice piece of work that deserves preservation, but I am not sure where.  If it went to the NRM it would be lost in a dusty drawer somewhere I feel, it would be nice to see it displayed somewhere appropriate. 

Any ideas? 

One possibility would be Beamish.  They have the Ken Hoole collection and it's well used as a study source and well kept.  I've got contact details for their curator of transport if you need them.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday's excitement on the railway line that runs along the bottom of our garden, has just been repeated today. The RHTT rig, topped and tailed by DRS 57s, went by in both directions, which prompted Archie to tear along the 'railway fence', seeing it off in his eyes! Quite interesting that on it's way past, London bound, the driver 'put the hammer down' which produced a lot of exhaust noise and impressive acceleration, but surprisingly little 'clag'! I wondered if this was because the locos had been out all day and were thoroughly warmed up? Or are the 57s known to be relatively 'clean' runners? Does anyone know where this unit is currently based (where is the Beast when you need him?).

Hi Jock,

I think most of the Essex/Anglia RHTT workings are based out of Stowmarket. (Beast is suffering from jetlag at the moment!)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

Evening all,

Still awake just, but I did manage to lurk a bit earlier, hence this post!

Ian(Abel), I'm pleased that Jemma is adjusting to her condition so well. The company obviously appreciate her and you and Mrs A must be very proud indeed.

LisaP4, thanks for the reply Lisa, I must say that the photographs would suggest that you are an accomplished engineer in your own right. Isn't it strange how we often follow in our father's footsteps? I must confess that it is however many years since I operated a lathe - I think my last Unimat was left in the workshop of the family Renault dealership when I left in the eighties.

Flávio, the sleep pattern will no doubt settle down in due course, and yes, the pain is diminishing such that I've been able to cut down on the Oramorph to near the level I was taking before the latest radiotherapy treatment. Good luck with the face to face interview, that is of course if you really want that job!

Pete(pH), as I understand it he was a composer who must have used a fast and furious tempo? HaHa!

Dave(TG), what a difference the weather makes to the beauty of the scenery. Sincere apologies because I've just discovered the 'Tor Giffard' thread from the link under your avatar - I can't believe that I've missed it, nor can I believe I have another thread to follow! Forgive me as, when I get around to it, I'll trawl back through and add ratings.

PhilJW, your post about Debs shows that her sense of humour remains intact, and is working well.

Grandadbob, you're not alone - I may have told this before, but when I was MD of the local Renault dealership, 18 or 20 years ago, my company car was a V6 Safrane Executive Auto, and as it was raining, Joanna asked me to move it a bit further down the drive so she could put some presents in the boot without getting them wet. For some unaccountable reason, I decided to sit sideways in and move it on tickover but unfortunately, as I put it in drive and then hit the brake pedal, my damp slipper did just that - slipped and slammed down the accelerator. Luckily, the left wing struck the garage wall end on so, although the garage door and a large chunk of wall were demolished, the damage to the car looked fairly superficial. What I didn't realise was that the badly dented front wing was where the main ABS computer was housed so the total bill wasn't far short of £5K! You might guess that I have been reminded of the incident many times since!

Good luck getting over the hump everyone, especially those with ailments, and we'll be thinking of you on your crossing tomorrow Ian(OD).

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jock,

I think most of the Essex/Anglia RHTT workings are based out of Stowmarket. (Beast is suffering from jetlag at the moment!)

Cheers,

Mick

One of them has spent a goodly part of the day at Wymondham with an 'earth fault' as Beast so nicely put it.  (i.e. some wheels were rather nearer to the earth than they ought to be.)

Anyway a pleasant little visit was paid to the nearby NT property and the restaurant was actually serving up soem rather nice tomato and red pepper soup - proper home made stuff although I think Mrs stationmaster got my share of the peppers.

G'night all

• Like 11

A couple of shots of autumn trees in Saskatchewan, taken last week. 

First is a stand of aspens out on the open prairie. I should have taken a video of this, since there was a breeze, and the phrase 'trembling aspens' was most appropriate: 

attachicon.gifIMG_4705.JPG

Don't aspens quiver - or is that only because Tennyson needed them to rhyme with river in "The Lady of Shallot"?

• Like 7

Jock, thanks so much for your comment, it was nice to know I had been missed! I am really enjoying the new job, it does have long and antisocial hours but the salary and benefits are worth it. I did not think that at my stage in life I would be able to have what is essentially a new career as opposed to just a job and for that I am grateful. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to do any modelling these past months although I have purchased some new stock and some card kits to do once I have the time. Sorry to have read that you have been poorly again recently but as always I am amazed at your tenacity and in always managing to pull through these setbacks. My best as always to you and yours and my hope for continued improvement to your health. I will definately be posting more often so will see you around as the saying goes!

• Like 15

Neil. . another suggestion would be Tanfield. They display a number of Tyneside track plans in the carriage shed. . .Sorry if I've added to the confusion.

"Flu nurse" 'phoned again today to ask when I was going for my jab. . Again expressed my concerns. . .INDECISION.! ! ! ! ! !

Goodnight Everyone. . . Sleep well.

John

?

Brief update on Jemma. The latest CT scan reveals that there is no change in her sinus condition, therefore a surgical procedure is the actionable item. Even WITH the "job" she has and the fact it's keeping her from working, the earliest they can perform said procedure is Nov. 23.

Then 10 days to allow it to heal. She's going to work in the office in the mean time reviewing resumes of prospects and conducting interviews. She's been doing that for the past couple of weeks, and the advantage is that she is becoming well known AND apparently respected by the chief pilot. Good connection for sure.

Ian, when they wanted to operate on my nose over here they warned my that I wouldn’t be able to fly for 8 weeks - in case of possible terminal nose bleed, I kid you not!

I had to be at all time 10 minutes from a hospital. Be worth Jemma checking that out.

I turned down operation as everyone I checked with said that were back to as they were within 6 months.......

Best, Pete.

Don't aspens quiver - or is that only because Tennyson needed them to rhyme with river in "The Lady of Shallot"?

I've seen them described as 'quaking' or 'trembling'. 'Quivering' could work too. I don't think 'shoogling' would, though.

• RMweb Premium

21st October 2015.  Good morning all.  Welcome Back to the Future!  As yet no Deloreans have landed in the street nor have any trains been fired with strange logs to reach 88mph.  There is yet time after lunch for both :D

Good to hear from Debs again albeit indirectly and I trust the collies are being well cared for in her absence.

Jock and others, including Debs, my best wishes remain with you for as much pain-free and complete recovery as medical science can provide you with.

Grey damp start to Woden's Hump Day here which is refreshing after the heat and humidity of yesterday. It was still 25C at midnight though it's about half that now mid-morning.  Not at all untypical weather hereabouts.  The tomatoes are growing well, the cucumber and courgettes yet to break ground cover and as usual our friendly Isa Browns have provided three breakfast eggs as they do almost every day.

Enjoyed the company of one of Mrs. G's friends last night - he is a semi-professional classical guitarist and she a learner of the ukulele so there were some interesting sounds made while the Lady of Shallot assigned domestic duties to the Gentleman of the Onion!

prat

After ten years managing motor insurance claims I've heard many versions of the "accelerator instead of brake" story with almost every claimant feeling sheepish on the phone and claiming to be "such an idiot".  Accidents happen.  That's one reason we have insurance.  Be thankful that for most of you it's mandatory - it isn't here and a lot of drivers are uninsured.  One who was fully insured reversed suddenly from her driveway into the street where the car struck and levelled a substantial tree.  She was found dead at the wheel with one shoe lodged under the brake pedal but its matching foot on the accelerator.  Post-mortem it was determined she had passed away suddenly after switching on the engine but before the vehicle moved off.

Enjoy today - it's the only 21/10/2015 we have.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3

Ian, when they wanted to operate on my nose over here they warned my that I wouldn’t be able to fly for 8 weeks - in case of possible terminal nose bleed, I kid you not!

I had to be at all time 10 minutes from a hospital. Be worth Jemma checking that out.

I turned down operation as everyone I checked with said that were back to as they were within 6 months.......

Best, Pete.

Pete, thanks for the information/details. Indeed, she already has the details of what the procedure she in undergoing will be and the time to "recover" before she can then fly. The chief pilot is familiar with the procedure, seems it is not unusual for pilots (no surprise there I suppose), and there are precautions as you suggest. There is a possibility of re-occurrence but hasn't been suggested it's particularly likely or necessarily a concern, perhaps something different than you faced.

Hopefully all the information available is accurate, we pray it is.

Thanks for your concern and support, as I've noted to some other ERs who've contacted me via email, this is exactly what is important to me as far as the ER community is concerned.

What a special group of people to wish to take the time to offer support and suggestions - thank you for being part of that group :)

I don't care about anyone else Warren except The Boss who heard the crash and came a-running  so I will never, ever, ever be allowed to forget about it!

Quite frankly I might as well go and drown myself now.

Makes me think of this RACQ ad' from a few years ago:

Just received an old (1944) issue of The Model Engineer I bought off ebay, opened it up to discover several pages missing, including the entirety of the article I bought it for. :/

On the plus side, it seems to be not unreasonably warm today.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Raining at the moment but a bit warmer at 10oC. Rain is forecast for most of the day.

Providing I don't have any more car "incidents" today I will again make a final attempt to salvage some points. If the gentle approach doesn't work then I shall get violent because the room has to be cleared this week and I want to get on with more important things like the new layout.

Have a good one,

Bob. 

The new printer is now printing without smearing. For fine detail printing the plastic needs to be cooled as soon as it is printed, but the new printer didn't have a fan to do that. The old printer did, so I took the filament fan and shroud off the old printer and attached it to the new printer. Seems to do the trick.

Very clear here tonight. Great star show. Night all, or should I say good morning?

• Like 14

Good morning one and all

Yesterday afternoon was frustrating thanks to matters IT-related.  All I wanted to do was read something on the CD full of pdf files of the Exeter station working book for summer 1960 but although the CD drive whirred encouragingly it kept telling me to insert the disk.  The drive played an audio CD and a video DVD perfectly but I rather fear that something lurking in the laptop has wiped the Exeter CD of all that juicy data.  Just think what else I could have done with the two hours I wasted - even some modelling!  At least the Exeter West Group will benefit by £5 when I write off for another copy.

This evening is the Chilterns Area Group meeting.  A member with a fine EM layout has kindly offered to host it after the landlord of our regular pub thought to mention that he was leaving and the pub would be shut for refurbishment.  The road up and over Dunstable Downs is a bit hairy after dark but the journey will be worth it.  Long before that I must write the report of last night's LCGB branch meeting for the Club Bulletin.  The Branch Chairman was kind enough to say publicly that my reports are worth reading so I have a reputation to maintain.  How to make an annual general meeting sound interesting is today's challenge.  Then I must find the name and address of the man with the Exeter CDs and work out how to tell him.

Have a better day, everybody

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Rain here this morning. Cos we are so high up it doesn't have far to fall so its a tadnoisy outside.

Tea to be drunk, it has been suggested I "play trains" today...but only after I complete some domestic tasks.

Neil, frame the Tyneside map and enjoy it.museums have a habit of hiding stuff away. The Imperial War Museum has some of my father's flying books which they keep in a cardboard box.with his Arnhem flight details in they said they are priceless. So priceless they have hardly been viewed.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, woken by cats wanting to go out in the pouring rain. Very disappointed in my latest box of Aldi gold teabags too, I may have to take up drinking coffee. It is unusual these days to post on here early as I try to sleep as late as possible.I hope everyone improves today and on that upbeat note one of the cats has noisily been sick on the rug not the laminate floor......

Evening all,

Still awake just, but I did manage to lurk a bit earlier, hence this post!

Ian(Abel), I'm pleased that Jemma is adjusting to her condition so well. The company obviously appreciate her and you and Mrs A must be very proud indeed.

LisaP4, thanks for the reply Lisa, I must say that the photographs would suggest that you are an accomplished engineer in your own right. Isn't it strange how we often follow in our father's footsteps? I must confess that it is however many years since I operated a lathe - I think my last Unimat was left in the workshop of the family Renault dealership when I left in the eighties.

Flávio, the sleep pattern will no doubt settle down in due course, and yes, the pain is diminishing such that I've been able to cut down on the Oramorph to near the level I was taking before the latest radiotherapy treatment. Good luck with the face to face interview, that is of course if you really want that job!

Pete(pH), as I understand it he was a composer who must have used a fast and furious tempo? HaHa!

Dave(TG), what a difference the weather makes to the beauty of the scenery. Sincere apologies because I've just discovered the 'Tor Giffard' thread from the link under your avatar - I can't believe that I've missed it, nor can I believe I have another thread to follow! Forgive me as, when I get around to it, I'll trawl back through and add ratings.

PhilJW, your post about Debs shows that her sense of humour remains intact, and is working well.

Grandadbob, you're not alone - I may have told this before, but when I was MD of the local Renault dealership, 18 or 20 years ago, my company car was a V6 Safrane Executive Auto, and as it was raining, Joanna asked me to move it a bit further down the drive so she could put some presents in the boot without getting them wet. For some unaccountable reason, I decided to sit sideways in and move it on tickover but unfortunately, as I put it in drive and then hit the brake pedal, my damp slipper did just that - slipped and slammed down the accelerator. Luckily, the left wing struck the garage wall end on so, although the garage door and a large chunk of wall were demolished, the damage to the car looked fairly superficial. What I didn't realise was that the badly dented front wing was where the main ABS computer was housed so the total bill wasn't far short of £5K! You might guess that I have been reminded of the incident many times since!

Good luck getting over the hump everyone, especially those with ailments, and we'll be thinking of you on your crossing tomorrow Ian(OD).

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

.....fresh in off my last night shift, having driven through some nice lighting effects of the early sunlight on the Autumn colours, I was about to change quickly and head out on a morning circuit but low cloud/heavier mist gathered/persisted around our part of The Moorlands, making it chilly and damp with poor light. As is customary around here, waiting an hour or two changed the scenario weatherwise, I was refreshed by some sleep and a more enjoyably warm afternoon circuit with watery sunshine was the result. This was already changing again as I arrived home with the sunlight weakening and the chill of early evening descending. As you say, the weather is a significant factor around here.

Don't trawl through all of my waffle Jock....the last couple of pages contain most of what is current

A little modelling on the cards this morning before an afternoon trip to the centre for Is's PIC line flush. We may have friends from work coming for lunch tomorrow....Mark is having health issues of his own just now but a social meal should brighten everyone's day.

Now music by The Toys....A lovers concerto

Best regards to all with ailments of any kind.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

I've seen them described as 'quaking' or 'trembling'. 'Quivering' could work too. I don't think 'shoogling' would, though.

There's a very nice copse of shoogly aspens beside the highway into town. Might try to get a pic tomorrow if the leaves have not already "shoogled aff".

• Like 10