The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all,

Thanks for all the kind remarks, I shouldn't grumble too much, just be thankful I'm still here to moan about it! Sorry to hear that Stewart's Elaine, and now PhilJW appear to have the lurgy - hopefully they'll shrug it off quickly. An interesting post on vaccination from the Lurker, which reminds me that I must ask the nurse on Thursday afternoon, when my flu jab is due, if I should go ahead whilst still showing these symptoms. The only drag at the moment is that a good night's sleep is almost impossible as my body tries to expel the 'rubbish'. Naturally Joanna is unimpressed by me waking her with the coughing and spluttering. Isn't it strange how something as tiny as a microbe can so adversely affect such a complex organism as a human being, Worse things happen at sea!

Pete(pH), I used to love the 'salmon run' when I lived in Scotland as a lad - Dumfries where I was born has a weir across the river Nith, right in the middle of town, and it presents quite an obstacle for the fish trying to reach the spawning grounds. Several times we were treated to a comedy show when an optimistic heron or cormorant that had strayed up-river from the Solway Firth, would attempt to catch fish that were far too large for them to handle!

Lisa(P4), that is indeed an interesting loophole in the rules about gauge with which to confuse the bureaucrats! Cutting steel that thick in our workshops, we would use a cutting nozzle in the oxy-acetylene welding torch to arrive at the rough shape, and finish off with a grindstone - you may be able to hire the kit if you don't already have it?

John(CB), many thanks for the update on our Debs, sounds like her spirit is intact despite what looks like a set back. I wager that the collies are missing her very much!

Dave(TG), thanks for the bulletin on 'Is', the sooner the better for the operations but although the waiting can wear you down, there is a good reason for it - as I discovered when I had my kidney and tumour removed. I had to stop taking the chemo (I'm on two pills daily!), for a couple of weeks before and after the operation as it has the effect of inhibiting the healing process! Sort of Catch 22?

Duncan, perhaps the travel logistics will be more effectively worked out if and when you take up the 'employed' position you mentioned a few posts ago. It doesn't make sense to spend so long in the car, unless of course you can claim travel time from the client like the IBM computer trouble shooters used to when servicing our Renault dealer systems years ago. Some of the bills were horrendous and that's what drove me to learn how to install my own Dealer Management System.

Cathcart Circle, how nice to see a post at last - I did mention your absence in a post some time ago, but I'm pleased to hear that work is going well since you left the Kilmarnock 'slave drivers'! Have you managed any modelling lately?

Mal, you must be getting really frustrated by the wait for chemo therapy, especially now that the surgeon has given the green light! Agree with you on the rugby by the way, a horrible way to go out but at least they can be really proud of their performance. I don't know about you, but I nearly turned it off towards the end as it was almost too exciting!

Yesterday's excitement on the railway line that runs along the bottom of our garden, has just been repeated today. The RHTT rig, topped and tailed by DRS 57s, went by in both directions, which prompted Archie to tear along the 'railway fence', seeing it off in his eyes! Quite interesting that on it's way past, London bound, the driver 'put the hammer down' which produced a lot of exhaust noise and impressive acceleration, but surprisingly little 'clag'! I wondered if this was because the locos had been out all day and were thoroughly warmed up? Or are the 57s known to be relatively 'clean' runners? Does anyone know where this unit is currently based (where is the Beast when you need him?).

We'll soon be at the hump again which is scary, so I hope the rest of your week is drama free. I will try to look in again tonight if I decide not to have an early night! Off to prepare chicken breasts in Provençal sauce for tonight's dinner, one of Joanna's favourites.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 17

Tuesday already!!! :)

Working in the dungeon continues to provide zero topics for discussion. If there's no-one outside to see it, is it really actually LIGHT out there???

Brief update on Jemma. The latest CT scan reveals that there is no change in her sinus condition, therefore a surgical procedure is the actionable item. Even WITH the "job" she has and the fact it's keeping her from working, the earliest they can perform said procedure is Nov. 23.

Then 10 days to allow it to heal. She's going to work in the office in the mean time reviewing resumes of prospects and conducting interviews. She's been doing that for the past couple of weeks, and the advantage is that she is becoming well known AND apparently respected by the chief pilot. Good connection for sure.

10C and sunny with a light breeze on the drive to the prison basement today, expected to be sunny all day (see comment above) but who will know, and a high of about 19

Sally forth...or fifth if you're running a bit slow today :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the kind remarks, I shouldn't grumble too much, just be thankful I'm still here to moan about it!

Moaning is one of the few perks of being ill, enjoy it!

Lisa(P4), that is indeed an interesting loophole in the rules about gauge with which to confuse the bureaucrats! Cutting steel that thick in our workshops, we would use a cutting nozzle in the oxy-acetylene welding torch to arrive at the rough shape, and finish off with a grindstone - you may be able to hire the kit if you don't already have it?

Beyond my budget I'm afraid, so just cutting a bit every day and will get there in the end. I remember dad hand cutting the blades for a dual gauge (3½" and 5") turnout many years ago, took him several weeks.

Able to work on other things in the mean time though, so it's not holding up progress. Here's a front boss for a coupling rod I just bored out tonight:

front-coupling-rod-boss.jpg

Looks bigger than it is here, it's less than an inch high.

• Like 7

After so many of Jock's midnight missives I was a bit surprised to see him post as such an early hour... Still it is reassuring to hear that he is surviving the lurgi (and I hope his pain is now controlled)

It's interesting to note how many people consider influenza to be little more than a bad chest infection. whilst the reality is that influenza can be incredibly deadly: the 1918 spanish influenza pandemic is thought to have killed 50 - 100 million people. In comparison, WWI only resulted in 17 million deaths. I would certainly agree that unless otherwise medically contraindicated, a flu jab for "vulnerable" persons is very much worthwhile.

It's a sobering thought that humanity's deadliest weapons can't even begin to compare with what Mother Nature can come up with. Some pessimists (realists?) estimate that if (when?) the Yellowstone caldera undergoes an explosive eruption, the resulting devastation will be on a par with, if not exceed, the Cretaceous–Tertiary (K–T) extinction caused by the bolide that created the Chicxulub crater.

I spent the day creating the 20 minute presentation that I have to give at my face-to-face job interview on Thursday (for a job I really don't want to do). It looks acceptable, but I need to decimate the verbiage, create my notes and generally tidy up.

Mrs iD is out with friends tonight, which is all to the good as my physiotherapy session today was particularly brutal and I wish to feel sorry for myself in solitude. The physiotherapist remarked upon finding a "veritable Gordian knot" in one of my muscles, I am only grateful he worked upon it with his fingers as opposed to using a sword like Alexander The Great.

Have a great one

iD

• Like 13

Sometimes I'm inclined to "gie it laldy". Jock, Mal, and I'm sure others, will probably know what I'm on about :)

Ah, Laldi - the Italian composer whose works are favourite requests at Glasgow musical soirees!

Edited by pH

Polly - With the week I'm having and my plans for the weekend I can quite happily wish this one complete. Down in Devon after work Friday and the Taunton Rail-Ex on Saturday. I have been looking for the summer but seem to have mis-placed it.

Ian - I hope that the urologist is happy with the progress.

Jock - Unfortunately, the nature of my job means a fair bit of driving. I certainly wouldn't like to have to carry the tools of the trade on public transport (I don't think that the other passengers would like it either). I either have to go to the client site to work or support other engineers.

Ian Abel - I hope that the procedure is successful for Jemma. I'm not sure what the rate of re-occurrance afterwards but it was about 40% when I had mine nearly 20 years ago. It certainly  sounds like she's creating the right impression with the right people which is never a bad thing.

Edited for fat finger syndrome

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

OK - time to come clean - I am officially an idiot!  :fool:  

Whilst reversing the car onto the shared driveway between us and next door my foot slipped off the brake and I floored it. By the time I got back on the brake I was between the two houses and had clipped our rainwater downpipe which disconnected at gutter level. That meant getting the ladder out which these days with my knee I don't like doing however everything went back together OK. Luckily the damage to the car was only some slight marks on the paintwork on the rear door and door strip. After a wash (car was filthy) and some vigorous work with T-cut and Black Colourfast it is hardly noticeable. It's a good job I stopped when I did because the space between the two houses is very narrow and If I'd have gone much further I'd have lost the door mirrors.

Feel an absolute prat because in nearly 50 years of driving that's the first time I've ever done anything like that . :banghead:

What's even worse is that no work was done on the railway today.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had a peek in on Debs Facebook page and apparently they are sending her to another hospital tomorrow for just one day. She says that she will be travelling in an ecnalubmA, well thats what written on the front. Good wishes applied as usual. On the health front my cold/man flu has abated somewhat but is still hanging on by its fingertips, venturing out into the fresh air seems to have done the trick.

• Like 3

I don't care about anyone else Warren except The Boss who heard the crash and came a-running  so I will never, ever, ever be allowed to forget about it!

Quite frankly I might as well go and drown myself now.

I sure it will be forgotten soon enough. After all, it's not as if you forgot there was a house behind you and simply reversed into it.

In my case I'm pretty sure I will NEVER EVER be allowed to forget about the time I launched my boat without the benefit of a drain plug. Well, that's not exactly true. The plug was there alright, it just happened to be stuck in the wrong hole  :banghead:

One junior member of our family had a job where she was required to sell petrol to boats. On one occasion she asked the customer where the tank filler was. "I think this is it" he said (It wasn't his boat.) So, in the petrol went, right into the bilges - quite a few gallons too! It wasn't really the poor kid's fault, but she did learn a valuable life-lesson.

• RMweb Premium

Just found an interesting artefact I didn't know I had - or at least have totally forgotten about. It's a rather large coloured drawing of the entire third rail electrical system for the Tyneside system, north and south, dated 1939.  A really nice piece of work that deserves preservation, but I am not sure where.  If it went to the NRM it would be lost in a dusty drawer somewhere I feel, it would be nice to see it displayed somewhere appropriate. 

Any ideas? 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Feel an absolute prat because in nearly 50 years of driving that's the first time I've ever done anything like that . :banghead:

What's even worse is that no work was done on the railway today.

Hopefully you will be OK for another 50 years then! We don't share a drive with a neighbour but our drive is just wide enough for our two cars. I haven't yet had to phone Aditi to say I am stuck between them but it has been close on a few occasions. I need to lose weight!

• RMweb Gold

Just found an interesting artefact I didn't know I had - or at least have totally forgotten about. It's a rather large coloured drawing of the entire third rail electrical system for the Tyneside system, north and south, dated 1939.  A really nice piece of work that deserves preservation, but I am not sure where.  If it went to the NRM it would be lost in a dusty drawer somewhere I feel, it would be nice to see it displayed somewhere appropriate. 

Any ideas?

The Stephenson Museum on North Tyneside.

It has one of the electric baggage cars there.

• Like 2

Evening all. Firstly best wishes to Jock, Is and everyone else who are suffering from bugs, minor ailments or more serious health issues. I hope all start to feel better as soon as possible.

Grandad Bob I am glad there was not too much damage to the car - I am sure there are many people who have done such things. I admit I managed to hit the accelerator instead of the brake a few years ago when coasting along in heavy traffic in Derby City Centre. Fortunately I had taken the car out of gear otherwise I would have ploughed into the back of the car in front.

Another great set of images TG I really enjoyed looking through them.

So here in Derby it has been another eventful day. Last night the estate was full of blue flashing lights and sirens. Reports have suggested a hit and run on a nearby road. The victim being taken to Nottingham's Queens Medical Centre which suggests head injuries. I do hope that they recover soon.

At work things have been no better. The professional issue has taken another downward turn. Once again I feel that I should share too much regarding this issue on any form of social media. All I will say is that it has taken up much of my day.

For those who have mentioned forgetfulness recently, I have found a few things slipping from my mind today. This lunch time I happily put up some of the children's paintings to form a wall display ready for tomorrow night's parents evening. The class had painted different famous people, linked to their recent homework. There were paintings of many different people past and present from Lionel Messi to Andy Murray and Queen Elizabeth II to King Henry VIII. We also had paintings of contemporary singers Jessie J, Harry Styles and Cheryl (singer??). There were a few surprises including Mohammed Ali, Charlie Chaplin, Anna Pavlova and Margaret Thatcher. One child had painted Guy Martin. At the end of the day I ran through each painting and checked the identity with each child so that I could add labels to the display. I held up the painting of the aforementioned Mr Martin, depicted complete with motorbike and leathers. Congratulated the child on their painting of "Guy Martin". Thirty minutes later I started to type up the labels and came to said picture - could I remember his name? Greg Martin - no, Glenn Martin - no....I had to go and collect the child's book and check their work to so that I could remember the bloke's name and complete the display. Is this what being 40 does to you??

Then I started clock watching as I knew Sarah would be starting to think about getting tea ready so that Amber could be in bed at a reasonable time before nursery tomorrow. I started packing up, thinking I was late, when I received a text from Sarah to say she had missed the bus and was facing a thirty minute wait for the next one. Only then did I remember that she was off to watch Forest play at home and Amber was at my parent's house - where I was due to go for a later tea than normal. My memory is starting to get worrying!!! Hopefully it is just end of term fatigue. Three days and two parents evenings to go! 

Any ideas? 

Maybe you could take a hi res photo and put it on the web somewhere?

• Like 3