The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

We now have heating and hot water being produced by our new boiler!   :yes:  :imsohappy:  He's just got to come back tomorrow to finish off one or two bits & pieces.

(and presumably to present me with his bill...  :read:  :help: )

Next job will be to get my mate Nigel the kitchen fitter to come round and sort out a couple of cupboards that need alterations/replacing.

Tomorrow will see a major clear up starting although I have booked slots for Rugby later in the day. :whistle:  

Tonight's tipple is Abbot Ale,

Cheers  :drinks:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I enjoy your photos Dom, but I hope you aren't putting yourself in a position that the tram company might feel is detrimental to your work or to their organisation. Are they happy with you taking such photos of their trams and the interior of the cabs?

I appreciate your concern, Warren, but I haven't encountered any sort of opposition from anyone in the company yet. I do make a point of ensuring I apply common sense and avoid photographing anything which someone might perceive as detrimental to our public image.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

We have had our heating on only twice so far this autumn.

We tend to like it cool at home and partticularly in the bedroom.. We generate our own heat quite well... thats from drinking beer before any one says anything else :sungum:

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

Tonight we're off to an overnight with some friends on the far side of town...dinner, wince and some trip pictures as they are interested in our May sojourn to England....

Ian, are you not pre-judging the quality of the dinner?

The POETS didn't happen today. I wonder if that was because I'm working tomorrow? I have ensured that I will be home in time for the Wales game though.

Jock - Great news that you had a better nights sleep and the pain is decreasing.

I have a dislike for McD cardboard food as well. I always make sure that I take food with me when I work or have a day out. Not only does it mean that I don't have to endure the rubbish that is served in many establishments and it saves me a fair bit of money.

When it comes to normal food I prefer to cook from fresh. No 'Ting' meals and the only frozen food is meals that I've prepared just in case of a late finish.

GDB - Good news about the new boiler and I hope that the bill won't be excessive.

• Like 8

evening all,spent all day training up on new xc90 hybrid,400v 3 phase......who would have thought cars would end up as complex as this when we first got into the trade? the health and safety and precautions involved are enough to make your head spin,let alone working on it !! as I sit here jack is sleeping as is daisy,all is quiet......hope everybody has a sound sleep tonight and good day tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

Duncan - about 2 years ago I had quotes from 4 firms ranging from £4000 to £7500. I'll give you one guess who the latter was from.

That particular "salesman" said that his boiler would save me £200 a year.. I gently pointed out to him that it would take me over 35 years to get my money's worth and I would be getting a birthday telegram from Her Majesty by then. On asking if the boiler would last that long he "didn't think so". I said "You can go now" or words to that effect.

This chap has come highly recommended by my kitchen fitter friend who has used him and worked with him on various sites. His original quote was well under all of those and even though we've encountered a couple of snags and added a couple of things I'm fairly sure I will be happy.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Finally spotted the tiny Caledonian sleeper symbol but in red on the first class lounge posters. Not clear at all.

Anyway now on board but they have certainly cut the staff to help you board from last time.

However what is worse is that all but six seats in the buffet are reserved for those who have pre booked food and the remaining seats full despite we went straight to the train when it was announced. So no room for us for an evening snack or drink. Going to be hungry by morning. Even a fairly lengthy queue waiting for the buffet to open. Not impressed and not a patch on our last trip on the Caledonian sleeper when it was Scotrail.

Won't be rushing back to do this service and feel a letter going off to the operator.

Next time it's a plane or day time service

PS..they say these coaches have been refreshed but it feels dirty with dust in the corners of the carpet and this is the only way to open the blind as it won't roll up

post-1557-0-28048900-1445027395_thumb.jpeg

Edited by roundhouse

Back in Blighty after a long drive in the wet. The rain eventually stopped about 20 miles south of London...

Popped in to see the Flowers in advance of Dans 40th tomorrow. Big kiss from Daisy and a grin from Rose, so that took the sting out of the day.

I'll try to catch up tomorrow. In the meantime, peace and love. Innit?

• Like 11

Evening all...A very early start this morning as it was off to High Post to try and defend my title from last year.  Sadly it was not to be and I trundled in fourth, so not a disaster but not quite the same.  Boy was it cold and windy though.  High Post is perched on top of a hill next to Boscombe Down.  Started at 9.30 in two pairs of trousers, three jumpers and a wooly hat and it took a hole or two to warm up.  Some interesting aircraft came over every 10 minutes or so, which kept us all entertained.  Seemed one of the loudest was a spindly drone, that reminded me of a daddy long legs.

I'm guessing it was one of these...

Thanks for popping into my ET thread.  It's all systems go, but we've been there before.  I've spent ages working out details of a very simple plan to get something running, but if all goes to plan a half decent terminus may emerge some time in the future.  I'm certainly looking forward to track building again.

With any luck I will pick up some timber tomorrow morning and as golf tails off for the winter, ET may emerge.  With just a double loop to build, I may have something simple running around before Christmas.

As always, kind regards to everyone suffering right now.  Life can be hard at times, but every so often a ray of sunshine comes in and lifts your spirits once again.

Edited by gordon s

An Englishman goes into a pub:

There should have been an Irishman, a Scotsman and a Welshman as well.

But they were all still at the Rugby World Cup.......................

I thought they were all practising their cricket so that they could emulate England!

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Might take a trip across the river to Gravesend tomorrow seeing as the wind is predicted to drop. I need to stock up with a few things for Christmas and the shops over there seem to be far better.

• Like 2

Have a good rest of the day, especially our recovering invalids - I hope the guard duty isn't too stressful after your break Simon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock. On the current timetable, we do just two return trips, so no real stress involved. It was a pleasure just to get on the line again. As I suspected, it was pretty chilly, so thermal vest and gloves were necessary, but no coat or woolly hat. It is only about two weeks until the line largely closes down to allow line engineering and some track replacement, so guarding opportunities are limited, so I was happy to be asked to cover a late withdrawal for this Sunday.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I have been down the clubrooms wire strangling all afternoon. A couple of cheeky pints of Leeds Gold in the Midnight Bell pub near the Club rooms.Successful day but now worn to a fraz so - Night, night everyone!

baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Crikey Gordon - was that drone powered by a rubber band or angry wasp?  I wondered what the big black connection was from the tow truck but presumably that's how they wind it up or insert the wasp.   And no wonder you dropped a bit with a racket like that to distract you.

And judging by Ian's report the Anglo-Scottish sleeper seems to have gone down the pan in more ways than numerous delays - not a good advertisement for the new operator.  BTW Jock when we stayed at the Station Hotel in Inverness earlier this century it too had gone downhill from its past glory - the food did not impress.

Incidentally winter engineering work on the Ratty is usually carried out by some of the permanent staff as they don't have their usual driving etc jobs in the closed season (and just as well they should have received my new safety procedures for engineering work today - trouble is they might now have time to want them altered)

Anyway good night all and sweet dreams.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 10

I've got mixed messages about the flu jab. . . . I was ill for 3 weeks last year, and so, even though I received a call from one of our practice nurses today, I am a little reluctant.

Anyway. . . Toy fair at Gateshead stadium beckons for Saturday. . . . Hope I don't spend too much!

Goodnight Everyone . . . . . . Sleep well.

John

• Like 1

I just received from BNSF - unsolicited and free - a copy of their 2016 calendar. Their calendars are quite good with photos taken by their staff and selected over the past year in competition and each month has several “snippets” of information.

I am going to quote from the “September” page:

“To help ensure the safety of our track and bridges, BNSF inspects most of our key routes at least four times a week, twice the frequency required by the Federal Railroad Administration. The busiest routes are inspected daily”

BNSF emphasis.

The BNSF Railway has 32,500 miles of trackage.

Anyone wish to comment on this? I placed this here in case of any copyright issue but believe that it is fair comment.

Best, Pete.

Good morning one and all, after a slightly late night following an excellent concert with 4Square

Bit of a flying visit today as I'm off to the Peterborough show.  I wonder if any of the practitioners of management bull at BRMexhibitions will be there, for I would dearly love to find out whether they can converse in English.  Check out the early posts on my thread if you don't follow what I'm on about.

Mike Stationmaster: your wisdom about Paris Est noted.  There will be about 24 of us in squadron formation.   I believe I'm right in thinking that there is a Metro/RER station serving Nord and Est so we could do the journey underground perhaps.

7 more pages to read before I clean up and head off up the A1 for the third time in a week, so have a good day if you possibly can!

Chris

• Like 16