The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Dreary here, with little chance of rain, though, so the forecast said. That's why it's been drizzling on and off all morning. Yuk. Not very warm, either.

I have some idea where Idaho is. It is famous for potatoes, and scouring wind according to a Judy Collins song. I think the Milwaukee may have had electric traction there. I also think there were too many railroads seeking to link Chicago and Puget Sound, which is quite a long way.

Good to see a new face or two here, and Kelly is a welcome returnee. Where ladies are concerned, more is always better.

Hope everyone's week is rounding off nicely.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Welcome to Alfsboy, despite appearances we don't bite, well not very often. Not a lot to report this morning, its a bit dull and overcast but dry (at the moment. Andy, I try to avoid MacD's and all similar establishments including those serving chicken and pizza's, if I need a meal on a day out I look out for an Asda's or Morrison's, their food is quite good and often cheaper. Congratulations and commiserations where necessary and I hope the E in POETS day is working for you.

• Like 12

I loathe and detest Supermarkets.

I can't tell you how much.

However, during one of SWMBO's periodic communions with stacks of tins which all looked the same, I stumbled across an 'Offer' in Morrisons of all the places that should be demolished.

3 x £4 items for £10 in the meat department.

I bought two pieces of steak and a carton of BBQ ribs.

All were delicious.

Please note - this is not a recommendation. I recommend you stay out of such places.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Somewhat grey out there but no rain promised - herself is off to the hairdresser's so she can test my theory that it won't rain; I will collect her later from Waitrose.

Chris if making one's way on foot from the Gare du Nord to the Gare de L'Est Verdun (to use its proper name) be careful which route your party takes as the one via Rue de Dunkerque and Rue d'Alsace via the steps in the latter very firmly became an area where some very nasty types hang out, especially near the top of the steps.   And regrettably whichever way you go the model railway shops enroute are long closed - the last went in 1994 just before I started going to Paris frequently  (which probably meant I saved money).

And just to give you a foretaste of the latter station (and Debs is still away alas) here's one I took earlier (8 years ago in fact) on a miserable late November afternoon

post-6859-0-49547200-1444988773_thumb.jpg

Have a  good day one & all

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Other half at hairdresers then meeting friends for lunch so I am left to do my own thing today yippee!

The dry weather continues and the last two days have seen me in the garden doing this and that under the direction of the other half, I admit to praying for rain on Wednesdsay evening.

Loads done though and quote its ready for the winter whatever that means lol!

Enjoy your day folks Im off to look around a Liverpool based website and a few others for some inspiration.

Alan

• Like 4

mechanical haemoglobin

Mechanical haemoglobins are the next menace threatening humanity, mark my words.

Mind you living in foreign parts no-one wants my potentially lunatic-bovine-infested red stuff (though I am allowed to donate body parts in Germany, I phoned up to check).

Belated greetings, best wishes etc. etc.

• Like 11

Morning. Off to visit the terminally unwell today. This may not sound like fun, but the two men concerned are both at the end of long and fully lived lives, and as a result it is actually quite entertaining; especially with the guy who is on pretty massive doses of painkillers which give him powers of free association I never suspected!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mechanical haemoglobins are the next menace threatening humanity, mark my words.

I had to Google it earlier and read the Wikipedia article. I don't march,run marathons, or play bongo drums so am unlikely to get mechanised haemoglobin!

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. On my break right now with a cuppa, then onto 1623 for the second half. Been easy to drive so far, though the weather is dreicher'n hell. Yeah, right, the rain does pause at present.

Also verified reasonable speeds at which a pair of poor track alignment spots which will have a temporary speed reduction imposed soon can be passed. We decided on 20 kph in one instance and 25 in the other, so that'll most likely be the values to be signed.

Mattar paneer for dinner, looks like. Ain't life good this way?

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Mind you living in foreign parts no-one wants my potentially lunatic-bovine-infested red stuff 

Dunno about foreign parts Ian but even here in dear old Blighty no-one wants mine since I had a transfusion in 1996.

Afternoon all. On my break right now with a cuppa, then onto 1623 for the second half. Been easy to drive so far, though the weather is dreicher'n hell. Yeah, right, the rain does pause at present.

Also verified reasonable speeds at which a pair of poor track alignment spots which will have a temporary speed reduction imposed soon can be passed. We decided on 20 kph in one instance and 25 in the other, so that'll most likely be the values to be signed.

Mattar paneer for dinner, looks like. Ain't life good this way?

So glad that you found your niche regarding work, Dom!

All the best, Pete.

Afternoon all,

Pleased to report a better night's sleep, just not long enough! Pain appears slightly less again however, so hopefully I'm improving as I have to confess that I've felt fairly frustrated and hopeless for the last few weeks!

AndyID, I guess I was fooled by Pete's avatar which cites 'Noo Yawk, USA' as his location - OOPS? Thanks for the further update on the 3D printer - fascinating!

chrisf, your holiday sounds fascinating - it will be lovely enjoying a 'winter wonderland' where all amenities can still function despite the weather! I hope that the complex timings all knit together and hope you will provide us with some photographs to drool over?

It is nice to learn that I'm not alone in my dislike of the McD empire. I've been dragged into them over the years by grandchildren (and now great grandchildren), seduced by the advertising on kids TV which highlights the 'free' toy with their 'happy meal'. I tend to stick to black coffee, although even that isn't very palatable!

Jamie, even though my favourite music is 'classical', I too am in awe of the skills of some of the fine guitar players around at the moment. Favourites are probably Dave Gilmour and Mark Knopfler, but there are so many to choose from like Brian May, Eric Clapton and for acoustic, Ry Cooder! I've even flirted with Missisipi Delta Blues from the likes of Robert Johnson. In addition, I have been lucky enough to enjoy some of the compositions of our very own modest professional Pete(trisonic), which I can highly recommend! As I've mentioned before, when very young, and tasked with cranking up the record player for my great grandfather - he taught me that I 'would recognise 'good' music when I felt it in my guts'! Such a subjective topic as 'one man's meat..........'

Ian(roundhouse), I hope you manage the 'E' in poets today, and your trip to my homeland is trouble free. I take it you are booked on the 'Union of South Africa' for your trip on the new borders railway.

Kelly, as Ian(OD) said, it is a real pleasure to see you posting again. I don't know if I've mentioned it before (old age?), but I love your photo galleries. The Duxford shots in particular would suggest that you have a keen interest in aircraft engineering. Any of our ER aviation fans should click on Kelly's 'photos on flickr' link below her avatar/post. As a hobby photographer, I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Sony DSC S500? Thank you for sharing them.

Have a good rest of the day, especially our recovering invalids - I hope the guard duty isn't too stressful after your break Simon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

They won't accept mine as I take medication.

I offered to pay part of my subscription to Watchtower that way. 

For the life of me I don't know why my payment bounced.  :drag:  :danced:  :drink_mini:

• Like 1