The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Dave -  I hope that chemo 5 goes well for Is, and that the side effects are not too bad.

Mal - The same goes for yourself

I've played British Bulldog several times. The military version was definately the most dangerous. Nearly as bad as Space Invaders. I still have the scars from both.

• RMweb Gold

There’s an ominous, anomalous  very large cold spot in the North Atlantic to the south west of Iceland.......

You go figure it out.

It’s easy here. We get very cold and it snows - every year.......

Best, Pete.

The weather forecast tonight was unusually talking about weather from the east though we were warned not to get excited about snow as it won't get here from wherever (not really paying attention) it was snowing in Europe.

• RMweb Premium

Is it that she hasn't updated her Facebook page or do you have other reasons for your concern.

I sincerely hope that she is simply still a bit groggy and hasn't got round to it yet.

More her continuing illness - I though she was through the worst - I don't have her facebook link, I don't know her surname.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
New Haven Neil, on 12 Oct 2015 - 21:44, said:

More her continuing illness - I though she was through the worst - I don't have her facebook link, I don't know her surname.

PM sent.

Some of us are private people, and many are not. Illness is a funny thing - though never in the amusing sense, obviously. Some gain solace from sharing their misery, and ERs is a good place to do that with loads of support. Others pretend their problem is theirs alone. They aren't wrong, either.

Fingers crossed this is a one-off and not threatening.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

According to some people my normal facial expression gives the impression of having swallowed some quite a lot!

Mine usually attracts the comment, "Cheer up!"

My alarm woke me at 5:30am - which is a shame as it is a holiday today (Columbus Day, I think). Still I have to take out the trash - as they are working today.

Weather: Still great, no clouds at all, high of 75f (24C) today. Some PM showers tomorrow (40% chance).

I believe I shall wash my new car. 

Best, Pete.

What have you treated yourself to, Pete?

.... and I bet talk of oscillating climatologists has got Gordon thinking about Carole again.

Sadly Strictly has proven one step too far for Carole.  She looks decidedly Mumsy against some of the younger models...

I have to say Aliona has always kept my attention.  Just a shame she went to blonde after her red hair.....:-(

I found Debs Facebook page, but not really understanding it, do you have to be a 'friend' before you can send a message or comment?

Here's a quick test before bedtime...

1- Find the C below.. Please do not use any cursor help. 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCOOOOOOOOOOO

2- If you already found the C, now find the 6 below.

3 - Now find the N below. It's a little more difficult.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNMM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The weather forecast tonight was unusually talking about weather from the east though we were warned not to get excited about snow as it won't get here from wherever (not really paying attention) it was snowing in Europe.

The snow was in Poland/Czech Republic. What has happened is that the low pressure over the Balkans that is dropping a lot of water everywhere it goes has bumped into the high pressure over Scandinavia. A low pressure in the northern hemisphere rotates anti-clockwise and a high pressure clockwise and the one over Scandinavia is pulling a lot of cold air off of the Arctic. The snow is predicted to move west but peter out over Germany. The same high pressure will deliver cold air to the UK but without the moisture fortunately.

EDIT Your probably paying too much attention to the delectable Wendy Hurrell Tony. I only just managed to tear my eyes away and look at the weather map.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sadly Strictly has proven one step too far for Carole.  She looks decidedly Mumsy against some of the younger models...

I have to say Aliona has always kept my attention.  Just a shame she went to blonde after her red hair.....:-(

I found Debs Facebook page, but not really understanding it, do you have to be a 'friend' before you can send a message or comment?

Here's a quick test before bedtime...

1- Find the C below.. Please do not use any cursor help. 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCOOOOOOOOOOO

2- If you already found the C, now find the 6 below.

3 - Now find the N below. It's a little more difficult.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNMM

C is 6 down 12 from right.

6 is first on row 4

N is 3rd right top row.

• RMweb Gold

The snow was in Poland/Czech Republic. What has happened is that the low pressure over the Balkans that is dropping a lot of water everywhere it goes has bumped into the high pressure over Scandinavia. A low pressure in the northern hemisphere rotates anti-clockwise and a high pressure clockwise and the one over Scandinavia is pulling a lot of cold air off of the Arctic. The snow is predicted to move west but peter out over Germany. The same high pressure will deliver cold air to the UK but without the moisture fortunately.

EDIT Your probably paying too much attention to the delectable Wendy Hurrell Tony. I only just managed to tear my eyes away and look at the weather map.

Thanks. I don't know who Wendy Hurrell is. I was watching BBCNews channel so it was one of the national weather forecasters.

Edit. I think it must also be because BBC1 here is East rather than London. We get different local programmes. Cabbage rustling in Suffolk is a major issue. b)

It is cooler tonight. I know this as I am accompanying Robbie out to the garden more frequently than usual. He seems fine apart from bowel "frequency".

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Well, the much advertised 15C seems unlikely to arrive now, we're back down to 11C at 5PM - they (seaweed twirlers) can't even master a 10 hour period particularly well it appears!

Going to be 5 overnight now, though I'm betting lower and the revised Friday overnight now down to -2.

Slower work day today, mostly due to the client having today "off" for Columbus Day, therefore no way to get additional information as required OR be bothered with incoming emails of additional tasks.

In my early/mid-teens I worked as the set-up person at WH Smiths for the paper rounds. That meant I had to unbundle and count ALL the incoming papers and magazines, and dutifully get the standing orders sorted. It was both a surprise AND an eye-opener to see H&E, Parade, Playboy etc., all being ordered by a large array of people :O  

Of course I DID have to check the magazines "thoroughly" to be sure there were no torn examples in the order  :jester: quite an education...

Good night all those on the bed-time side of the pond.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I don't know who Wendy Hurrell is. I was watching BBCNews channel so it was one of the national weather forecasters.

Edit. I think it must also be because BBC1 here is East rather than London. We get different local programmes. Cabbage rustling in Suffolk is a major issue. B)

It is cooler tonight. I know this as I am accompanying Robbie out to the garden more frequently than usual. He seems fine apart from bowel "frequency".

Tony

Wendy's one of the weather girls/reporters on the BBC London news. Monday evenings she gives a forecast of the local weather for the week ahead. I don't think we'll see so much of her over the next few months as she is obviously pregnant.

You should be able to tune into London, Tony.  On Sky it's channel 954 and you can find it on most Freeview boxes.  Having come from London, the regional news about Southampton and Oxford was meaningless for me, so we are tuned into London even though we are in Berkshire.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

You should be able to tune into London, Tony.  On Sky it's channel 954 and you can find it on most Freeview boxes.  Having come from London, the regional news about Southampton and Oxford was meaningless for me, so we are tuned into London even though we are in Berkshire.

I have BBC 1 saved as a favourite on my Sky box if ever I have the urge to see anything local to London. Until recently our local BBC freeview was BBC Southeast from Kent but the default now is Crystal Palace's London transmitter. ITV is always London.

Evening all,

Slightly less pain again this morning so I've reverted to my original dosage of Oramorph to see how that goes! Bit of a pain in the wallet (£135.00) after this morning's visit to the vets, as Archie's ear infection has recurred after only three weeks and the vet sent off a sample for biopsy. Meanwhile I have to disguise two types of pill in 'treats' for the next week. He is well worth it, which is more than you can say for his insurance as the 'voluntary(?) excess' just about wipes the bill out. The vet has kindly documented both incidents as one, and suggested we wait to see what further intervention is required and he will invoice the complete course - I suppose it benefits him as well, or am I being cynical?

I too struggled, particularly late last night, to get the site to accept ratings.

Mick(NB), lovely news about your daughter's selection for the Uni swimming team - she seems to be settling in well. Your plan to meet up will certainly make her journey home easier.

Rick, terribly sorry to read about your knee problem - I can fully sympathise as I required arthroscopy on both mine some years ago. It truly is a very uncomfortable joint when swollen, so I hope you get relief soon.

Robert, gazing at the night sky has been a hobby of mine most of my life, and although I'm fully aware of the conjunction of the planets you mentioned, the sky has remained obscured by cloud her. My modest Tasco telescope remains in the garage for yet another night!

Stewart, thanks for the update on Debs, all we can do is hope she pulls through, whatever the latest problem is. Ian(OD), in his post above, points out that some people simply don't want to share their problems, and I suspect our lady of the collies is like that? Your comment on how people got by after major surgery is simply answered - quite a few didn't years ago, with risk of infection being the worst problem. Recovery seemed to take much longer then also - now you're out of bed almost before you come round! Keep up the steady recovery.

Dave(TG), more lovely images as we've now become accustomed to enjoying. Please convey our best wishes to 'Is' for chemo 5.

Mal, I'm certain Gabe won't mind wheeling you into Valvona and Crolla's for one of their lovely coffees before your own treatment!

Simon, what terrible news about your son's loss of a friend - does he live near enough to give him a hug? I always think it awful when a young life is cut short, and I'm more than ever aware how close we were to losing our No1 grandson recently. Carpe Diem indeed.

I hope the week has begun well for our working contingent, and those on the mend continue to do so. I'm going to try to establish e-mail contact with Tex as it worked once before.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 18

Evening all. My best wishes to all ill ER members and to ill relatives etc. I am still a little behind on all of these situations so please forgive me if I am don't send personalised greetings at present.

Today has been my work appraisal. Good to know the headteacher is happy with my work. The targets for next year will keep me busy again.

A nice bonus was a pm offering a layout for our show. It could be the missing piece in the jigsaw or it could be one piece too many, time will tell. I am also pleased that the other model railway related issue has now been sorted.

Hope your Tuesday's go well.

• Like 16

I found your test rather easy, Gordon. I’m quite good at finding interruptions in patterns.

Well, I decided to downsize  my car for local use. The front looks like a mix of an Audi and a Lamborghini - but no where near expensive. It has an enormous for it’s size windscreen which is very steeply raked. A six speed auto box - no paddles - but the gear lever moves over into a position where it can be flicked into manual - and it’s far better then an Audi - being faster to change gears, stays until almost the redline if you let it and matches revs on the down change (but not as good as a Ferrari). The engine is 2 Litre normally aspirated and the body has four doors. It is not exotic neither is it American (yet is assembled here) or Japanese. I declined a SatNav and use my iPhone, if necessary. I can talk to the car, though I don’t usually because I’m old fashioned....

It’s very low and difficult to see out of at road junctions (to the side around other cars - a Camry looks enormous next to it). That’s the worst part, actually as I have to lever myself out of it. It has no spare wheel at all (most annoying, I’m going to buy one)...

I fully intend to buy a V8 Camarro in three years time - towards the end of college. My daughter’s college that is.

See if you can figure out what it is....I can answer more questions.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

Evening all. Well the boys came over today, including Keith and Tony of this parish. We ran Höchstädt in preparation for the Beckenham show on 24 October. Some of the locos needed tweaking and I must file back the platform edge but otherwise no real problems.

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Having CQ in business again after a long summer of doing other things, I've finally got round to some modelling again  :yes:   hiding the join in the corner of the wooded backscene with another tree and planting some re-coloured (plastic) fern-like plants under the trees.  Ideally, I'd like some more ferns...and some decent daylight to get some pics - by the time I'd finished today's bit, it was too dark.

Time to bid you all goodnight and nos da, now, though.

• Like 16