The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

That's the spirit! :lol:

Well, the grass is all cut and edged, as much of the fence painted as the pot would allow and Abi's bedding washed and drying. Just got to post a couple of small parcels now and my day's work is done! Definitely doing some modelling after tea, come what may!

Get cracking with that layout Stewart, it might give me the push to get going with my own...! :blush:

Hope the rest of you have had a good day.

Dave.

Morning lads...smile.gif

Just had the biggest scare of my life. We were up at 5am and on the M4 just after 6 to go to my mothers to help/guide the guys who were packing my mothers stuff. About 30 mins away Jackie tried to phone her to let her know what time we would arrive. After about 10 rings BT answering service cut in. So kept ringing for the next half an hour. Arrived at the house and the doors were locked with latches on the inside. Rang the number again and could hear the phone ringing, but no answer. Banged on the door and rang the bell, but eventually had to break in through the front door. Searched every room downstairs and then with some trepidation went upstairs, half expecting to find her dead in bed. Opened the bedroom door and she was sitting on the bed, somewhat confused as she thought I was my Dad.

Seemed she was totally exhausted over the move and had only just woken up. She hadn't heard the phone even though it was next to her bed. Somewhat relieved we made her a cup of tea and it took a good 30 minutes for her to recover. Thankfully all is OK. Got a glazier in to mend the broken door and the packing was completed. Just got home to a welcome cup of tea and this will certainly be followed by something stronger.

Not an experience I would want to repeat......

....But on the brightside, my last trip to London....biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Been raining on and off for most of today, but I somehow still had several streaks of luck while being out for railfanning :) . Images will be in my RMweb blog later tonight! Dinner'll be up soon, I think, which is good since a sandwich for lunch is not quite sufficient for my energy needs.

Cheers!

• RMweb Premium

Not an experience I would want to repeat......

....But on the brightside, my last trip to London....biggrin.gif

Sounds like a true heart in mouth moment, Gordon - I used to have similar worries about my mother, as she also somtimes slept through the phone (in her case as she sometimes mismanaged her insulin and knocked herself out) and as at that time I was the nearest (and I was 180 miles away) I had visions of slogging up the M74 for a similar outcome. It was only after we got her into accommodation where there was a level of care that I could relax.

Sounds that a couple of weeks' rest is indicated for her, before undertaking the next leg of the move.

Shedman 5 I'm about three miles off J34, so if you're coming up you are certainly passing close - I'm guessing Fylde Coast or thereabouts?

• RMweb Gold

Glad all was well Gordon - I ring my mum every day and it is a worry if she doesn't answer the phone. I console myself with the fact that she has a Lifeline button round her neck with which she can summon help, but I suppose that won't be much use when the end finally comes.

Evening all!

Been out of internet connection for 2 days. The shakes are nearly gone now I've finished catching up on ERs. Pleased to see Don will be back tomorrow as I would have hated to miss saying goodbye.

Been up in Ardnamurchan on a Scottish Natural Heritage Best Practice event on non-native invasive rhododendron ponticum. Bleeding awful plant!

• RMweb Gold

Gordon. I'm glad everything was OK. My mother's move from her old house to temporary accommodation to her sheltered flat was somewhat "traumatic" (I'm not sure that an appropriate emoticon exists) but everything did settle down. My mother-in-law (she is 82) who has recently finally sold her property was very firmly in charge of the arrangements but did accept help as appropriate. After the final packing she still drove herself from Nottingham to Enfield on completion day. Our main worry now that she has left Nottingham is that she will be bored but she already seems to have found a bridge club and a painting group.

I wonder how Matthew will cope with his parents but as he said being the child of aged parents he is used to us being old and grumpy anyway.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Evening all!

Been up in Ardnamurchan on a Scottish Natural Heritage Best Practice event on non-native invasive rhododendron ponticum. Bleeding awful plant!

perhaps you should genetically modify the rhododendron to make it attractive to beavers?

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea. Would need to be seriously GM'd as it's toxic...!

I spent some holidays when I was a teenager camping and boating near Strontian. The wildlife and scenery were quite impressive. I think it may have been sunny occasionally. When I went there with my wife she didn't like the west coast midges so we visited the Ardnamurchan area from where we were staying on the Black Isle. It was quite an impressive day trip! We were hoping to see some of the rumoured 200 species of birds on a trip to Plön on our recent German jaunt but it was so wet that day they were all hiding. We saw more species swimming past the Chinese restaurant we took Matthew to in Docklands on Tuesday.

Tony

Morning All,

It is rather a grey and gloomy morning here - we have had a fair bit of rain overnight and showers are forecast for today.

Nice to see you again this morning Don.

Glad Gordon's scare didn't turn out to be anything more serious.

Have a good day everyone!

Morning to all, but most of all our birthday boy, Don who is 71 today!

Congratulations and a very happy birthday to you.smile.gif

Don't worry about the extended weekend, it will grow on you....

You'll be much busier than you ever thought..wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday Don.

Although you may not feel too much like celebrating I'm sure you will have a special bottle of brandy tucked away that you were saving for a special occasion. Now seems a good time a time as any.

It's not a long weekend you are starting, it is a well deserved holiday.

Thanks Guys,

I genuinely hadn't thought about it being my Birthday! :unsure:

Warren, You are right about that special bottle of brandy tucked away.

It was a Christmas present last Christmas and it is still unbroached.

Tonight's the night :P

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Happy birthday, Don! :) Quite cool outside, as Robert said. Will need to think about whether there may be some additional photo spots I might visit today! We'll be playing tenpins tonight, but there's still quite some hours to go until then, of course!

Cheers ;) .