The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening, after yet another sparkling warm day in the Lakes!  We sat outside having a couple of drinks last night, up here in October - unheard of.

Saw the Vulcan fly by today also, in Ambleside, great to see it on it's last days.

• Like 18

I am a very relieved ER today. The post finally brought the results of the biopsy from my neck lump removal three weeks ago. The lump is "of no concern", although it is being sent to Newcastle for a second analysis, but this is just routine. It has taken a long time, but at least it is good news. There will be some single malt drunk tonight as a small celebration!

The rest of today has been a good day, with a nice walk this morning, then some gardening in nice weather, and watching the Scotland game. the Scots were a little fortunate, but ultimately deserved their narrow win. Now watching "Strictly ", with the England game on record.

• Like 10

Just enjoyed a wonderful steak courtesy of my dear lady.  All washed down with a few glasses of Merlot and my rubbish medal round earlier today is just a distant memory.  

Enjoyed the Wales game and all credit to the Aussies in holding out with just thirteen players.

Keep thinking about getting up to my railway room and doing something.

Winter must be on its way....

Hoping to spot the Vulcan tomorrow.  Checking out the websites it says +90 minutes over Farnborough but doesn't say what time is kick off.  Any ideas what time the beauty will be airborne? 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

busy day down the club, wiring undertaken - trains moving - need to return on Tuesday evening to do the  final odds and bods.

Beef Brisket prepare and eaten for tea (placed in the slow cooker this morning - and it just makes it so easy to slice and eat).

We bought a Beko washer - it does a quick wash in under and hour - or just over for the 90C wash.

Have a great evening

baz

• Like 15

Mal - The Samoa - Scotland game was probably one of the most entertaining so far. Excellent result though. It's just a pity that you have Australia in the next round especially after their performance today.

GDB - I hope that England - Uruguay provides another entertaining match.

Simon - Excellent news for you. I think you deserve more than a small celebration.

The Wales game was entertaining but I have to admit that after keeping us from scoring a try with only 13 players, Australia deserved the win.

• Like 2

Forgot to add seeing a Chinook flying at 'very little altitude' up the lake as we drove up to Honister pass yesterday, sneaked up on us and gave us a bit of a fright!

That's really scary. Most of the chinook here stay beneath the surface of the lake.

• RMweb Premium

Wilt is worse tonight, probably due to flu jab, and I think that it is already audio book time.  Hopefully next week will see later collapse.  Managed a single block unaccompanied this afternoon while 30747 was out, and also a short stretch on one crutch, and combined with the medications, trip to Dr, and so on, I've just about used up today's supply of energy.

Nighty Night

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Split shifts are not fun though, if your break is in the city with things to do, they might not be so bad. I worked for a summer in a depot with nothing much round about it. If I went home between the parts of the shift, it gave me enough time to eat and go straight back to work. Staying at the depot confirmed a smoking habit I was hoping to kick before it got serious, and put me off betting for life, when I saw how quickly you could lose money in a betting shop!

And triple splits (morning and evening rush hours, plus lunchtime 'workers') are even worse.

We do not have any triple split shifts – thankfully, going by what I imagine these to be like!

Night, all…

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Now watching "Strictly "

I wasn't sure whether to give your post a 'like' or a 'friendly/supportive' until I read that bit.

In the absence of 'deepest sympathy' it rated a 'friendly/supportive'.

Seriously, great news, I'm so pleased to hear that.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Good news from Mal and I hope Debs is feeling better and will be out of hospital soon. I collected my order from Tesco this lunchtime, quite impressed less than 24 hours from placing the order to it being available, nice little models. Got to have an early night tonight as setting out for the rally on Canvey tomorrow, and breaking out my winter woollies as well as the museum is right at the eastern end of the island and is cold inside even in the balmiest weather, I'm not sure if my neighbour who purchased the Reliant Kitten van from me will be there with it but he said that he intended to be there.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a dark and quiet village.   I got home about 10.30pm last night after a good morning n southern Belgium with Supersonic finding his great uncle's grave. Then back via Dunkirk and a crowded M25 and M11.    I didn't get chance to post earlier as I've been busy taking crates of Green Ayre to the clubrooms in Wakefield ready for a week sorting the lighting rig next week.  It's also given me time to get me thoughts together after a very thought provoking few days.   We went over specifically to find our two relatives graves but ended up doing much more.

Thursday morning we went to the main Arras Memorial which as usual was immaculate.

post-6824-0-54725100-1444511754_thumb.jpg

There are some 35,000 names of those who have no known grave on the memorial.  Also in the centre is the memorial to all the airmen who are missing.

Then it was on to Wancourt just south east of Arras where my father's cousin Geoffrey Potts was killed in 1917.

post-6824-0-19376500-1444511758_thumb.jpg

He was in the Manchester Regiment and one of the gardeners at Arras had given me a red rose to place there.

post-6824-0-41041700-1444511759_thumb.jpg

It was very peaceful despite a motorway and TGV line close by and two deer trotted across the field.

post-6824-0-67916900-1444511761_thumb.jpg

We had nothing fixed from then until the Menin gate that evening so started what Dave described as a bimble.  We stopped at several other small Cemeteries.  All absolutely

immaculate and all with the same sense of peace despite a busy world outside them.

We also visited the Canadian Memorial at Vimy Ridge.

post-6824-0-56435600-1444511765_thumb.jpg

Only when you walk up to the memorial and see the view from the top do you realise why the Germans were so desperate to hang onto it.

post-6824-0-04729900-1444511768_thumb.jpg

Some of the surviving tunnels built to get men and supplies to the front line have been opened up and a delightful young lady volunteer from Saskatchewan showed us round.

This is one of the barrack rooms

post-6824-0-72141400-1444511770_thumb.jpg

Here in a side tunnel is a surviving piece of the wooden railed railway used to transport supplies.

post-6824-0-59665400-1444511771_thumb.jpg

Then a walk back to the car through the maple woods that are still too dangerous to walk in. (Sheep are allowed to graze there)  It rather sobering to think of how many men died making the same walk,

post-6824-0-46713300-1444511774_thumb.jpg

We then visited Lens and Armentieres before finding Messines.  Outside there is this new monument built in 1998.

post-6824-0-29801000-1444511777_thumb.jpg

This is the Island of Ireland Peace Park opened by Her Majesty the Queen, the President of Ireland (Mary Macaleese) and King Albert of  Belgium.  To show reconciliation as that area of the ridge had been captured by a Catholic Division from Dublin fighting alongside the Protestant Ulster Division.  It's well worth a visit though apparently the locals call it the Scud missile.

Finally we arrived at Ypres in time for the ceremony and here are the pipers

post-6824-0-93231900-1444511779_thumb.jpg

After that a rather reflective meal and back to our Hotel.

Next morning we drove up into the Salient to Poelkapelle and found Dave's relatives grave.

All in all a very worthwhile trip.

Jamie

• Like 18

Thanks for that link, Mick, but unless I missed it, I still can't see what time is take off tomorrow.  I know it will pass over Farnborough 90 minutes after take off, but can't see the start time.  Maybe it will be decided tomorrow when they know the weather conditions.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, a very poignant and thought provoking post, Jamie.

It's a small world too. My maternal grandmother's family name was Potts. I remember lots of great aunts and uncles of that name but sadly don't really know much of the family history.

• RMweb Premium

Evening, after yet another sparkling warm day in the Lakes!  We sat outside having a couple of drinks last night, up here in October - unheard of.

Saw the Vulcan fly by today also, in Ambleside, great to see it on it's last days.

Ah, so that's where all the heat went, today.  It got rather chilly down on West Shore after lunch so ended the day shivering despite putting on an extra jacket.  Lamb shank hotpot for tea put things right.

Seems there are several exhibitions to choose from this weekend: hope those who went today enjoyed it and, if you're going tomorrow, hope you enjoy it, too.

Delighted to see some of you are improving or have a better outlook.  Hope tomorrow is better, again.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Its about six years ago that I visited Ypres and the surrounding area not realising the extent of the carnage that was the Great War. I think that everyone should visit the battlefields of that terrible war to learn the human cost of war.