The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

This is a fairly humane shift I got planned for next Friday, I should say:

perdis_161015aukgq.jpg

Also to give you an impression what our online duty planning portal looks like – the software being called Perdis and provided by http://www.idsysteme.de/de/. I understand this software is widely used among German transport operators.

As I think I may have outlined elsewhere, VH4 is the code for Angerbrücke Depot, while Paunsdorf is VH3 and Wittenberger Straße VH6. There also is the Lausen stabling area, which is an operational annexe to Angerbrücke and abbreviated VH4L when designated as the starting or ending location for your shift.

The AUG 3 bit is a reference to the Augustusplatz Driver Relief Point 3, which is the outbound platform coming from Central Station. There are multiple other relief points around Augustusplatz: AUG 4X is the inbound platform headed for Central Station (Central Station bound relief points being highlighted with "X"), AUG 1X the inbound platform on the Central Lane across Augustusplatz proper, and AUG 2 the outbound platform on the Central Lane. There also is AUG 5X, which is the supplemental platform on Grimmaischer Steinweg.

augustusplatztkkdu.jpg

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 2

POETS day.

Likely WILL POE as I've already managed about 40 hrs toil this week and just starting the day. Being out-of-town means I generally arrive early at the client and leave late, thus working long hours. Not too much to attract me to sitting in a hotel room, I don't have the luxury/advantage/wealth of Rod Stewart, being able to have a second room and have a room full of railway stuff shipped there to play with, more's the pity! :jester:

Little to report from yesterday, plane delayed slightly (no surprises there!) but just work and travel back to Minneapolis consuming the day.

7 and overcast as I ambled onto the deck for the paper. Looks to make 16 for a high and remain cloudy all day.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is a fairly humane shift I got planned for next Friday, I should say:

Also to give you an impression what our online duty planning portal looks like – the software being called Perdis and provided by http://www.idsysteme.de/de/. I understand this software is widely used among German transport operators.

As I think I may have outlined elsewhere, VH4 is the code for Angerbrücke Depot, while Paunsdorf is VH3 and Wittenberger Straße VH6. There also is the Lausen stabling area, which is an operational annexe to Angerbrücke and abbreviated VH4L when designated as the starting or ending location for your shift.

The AUG 3 bit is a reference to the Augustusplatz Driver Relief Point 3, which is the outbound platform coming from Central Station. There are multiple other relief points around Augustusplatz: AUG 4X is the inbound platform headed for Central Station (Central Station bound relief points being highlighted with "X"), AUG 1X the inbound platform on the Central Lane across Augustusplatz proper, and AUG 2 the outbound platform on the Central Lane. There also is AUG 5X, which is the supplemental platform on Grimmaischer Steinweg.

That's not a bad turn that Dom - just over 9hrs (presumably plus twiddly bits at the start and end?) with 55 min break from the driving environment roughly midway through.  Are all the turns split up like that otr is this a 'return to duties, light start' job?

• RMweb Gold

Great photos Mike. Thanks for sharing.

You can't go far wrong with such good subjects though.

I'll let you figure out which of the subjects I'm referring to.

• Like 4

... and involves many appliances like the washer, hoover, tumble drier, and other minor ones.  You need to learn both how these work, and also the frequency of use to which they are put.  Whatever frequency you choose, it is never enough.  I have to say that the one that surprised my was the washer, as ours seems to be used almost every day. 

We have a system.

I do all the Washing and Dish Washing as long as SWMBO has put the ingredients in the machines with the appropriate chemicals.

Thus I needed a foolproof way to know that I had to press the buttons (early in the morning) and devised a coloured wooden block for each machine labelled WM and DW.

It works very smoothly if:

SWMBO remembers to put out the correct blocks and I happen to notice them, thus proving that it's not fool proof.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Fab photos, Mike (60860)! Looks to me like a great day out was had?

That's not a bad turn that Dom - just over 9hrs (presumably plus twiddly bits at the start and end?) with 55 min break from the driving environment roughly midway through.  Are all the turns split up like that otr is this a 'return to duties, light start' job?

It's mandatory for us to be given a break not shorter than 35 minutes in between turn halves. If for any reason circumstances should push us below that threshold, we are advised to notify Control so that they can cover our services such that we are able to have at least 35 minutes of uninterrupted time off. We are also entitled to have any excess time beyond the planned duration of our turns credited into our working hour balance, though it is at our discretion if we request so from the first minute of overtime.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Fab photos, Mike (60860)! Looks to me like a great day out was had?

It's mandatory for us to be given a break not shorter than 35 minutes in between turn halves. If for any reason circumstances should push us below that threshold, we are advised to notify Control so that they can cover our services such that we are able to have at least 35 minutes of uninterrupted time off. We are also entitled to have any excess time beyond the planned duration of our turns credited into our working hour balance, though it is at our discretion if we request so from the first minute of overtime.

Hmm - very nice, better than many train Drivers (in various European countries) as it happens.

I've never understood the cynics on this. I stood on the roof of 10 storey Essex House, Croydon, late that evening looking at the moon, and I'm sure I could see the man.

I've never understood the cynics on this. I stood on the roof of 10 storey Essex House, Croydon, late that evening looking at the moon, and I'm sure I could see the man.

The main part of doubt in my mind is that nobody has taken a photo of the remaining parts of the moon landings. These would be easily photographable because their exact whereabouts are known.

A few months ago photos were released of the Mars Rover in situ.

As a jury member I am still evaluating the blowing/non moving flag thing.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening

it's wilting time, though I haven't rested at all today.  Two walks, a bit of domestics, and a couple to trips to the bin. but each day brings a bit of progress, and tomorrow I have to get my flu jab - wow.  It'll be my first run out since my op. 

Thanks for pics, Mike - I can just about hear the Gresley chime from here.

Talking of train whistles, this afternoon, I saw a great howler on one of these dreadful daytime TV shows where two people do a house swop holiday and pretend to enjoy it.  There was an aerial view of the Dawlish sea wall with a Castle heading rapidly westward, to the sound of a Stanier hooter!  And that was the high spot of my TV today.

Audio book time.

Nighty Night All

Stewart

• Like 3

The main part of doubt in my mind is that nobody has taken a photo of the remaining parts of the moon landings. These would be easily photographable because their exact whereabouts are known.

I've just returned my library book on Neil Armstrong's story. He talks about the fact that a large number of folks in the USA disbelieve the truth of the moon landings. He laughs it off by saying "They don't believe an operation which took many thousands to make come true but have no problems with American "Professional Wrestling"  On a more serious note there are, in this book,several photographs of the moon's surface showing one of the moon landers, and a couple of the moon buggies which were left behind from later Apollo missions.  

• Like 10

As expected, my day definately went downhill. Nothing went to plan and although I managed to POETS the journey back from Tilbury meant that I was home a lot later than expected.

Jock - Great to hear that you had a better nights' sleep. My prediction came true and mum has been discharged. It's going to take a fair bit of re-adjustment for her though.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news/apollo-sites.html

• Like 4

Some of Scott's militaria. The second rifle up from the bottom belonged to Rob Roy MacGregor

(... at least, that's what the seller said on Ebay.)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Waitrose working cancelled - Mrs Stationmaster busy on 'winterisation programme' in the living room (changing over cushions/cushion covers) then major wine buying expedition to Tesco.  Waitrose working now re-planned for tomorrow so late departure for Farnham show looking increasingly inevitable.

G'night all.

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from a evening meal with fellow Yorkshire Premier League umpires- our last get together. Food and company was great. Richard kettleborough gave a brief view of umpiring at ICC level. That was very interesting and thought provoking.

Big problem was getting their as the A1 was awful. They said it was an accident then it appears that it was a break down.

Coming back the M1 was closed southbound, or so the signs said, ER nothat was northbound. Can we get automatic payment from the Highways agency when they get it wrong, again?

Sorry, rant over....

Sleep well everyone

Baz

• Like 6

Morning all,

Jamie, I truly believe that is when the bagpipes are at their most haunting- Joanna and I have also heard them played at the 'Menin Gate' and the sound stirs up emotions already heightened by the knowledge that you are standing on the memorial to almost 55,000 commonwealth soldiers whose bodies were never found or identified!

Stewart, good news that things look so positive for you, and I'm pleased you are getting back to normal gradually. I am slightly less in pain today, so my oncologists estimate of up to four weeks doesn't seem far out. What a great pity that you can't make it to quaff a pint or six with the 'roundhouse' clan. I'm sad that there aren't any significant shows here on the Eastern edge of the country to bring digital friends close enough to meet up!

Dom, I'm very pleased that you have a date set for your return to work. (By the way, did you find my answer to your PM yet?). I found the post on working patterns very interesting.

Mike(60860), lovely images of at least two of my favourite subjects (I'll leave which to your imagination, but I admire your taste in GFs!!) Thanks for the update on Abbotsford and I agree about the 'to die for' study - it makes my book lined converted third bedroom seem more like a matchbox. Oddly enough, I am not a great fan of Sir Walter as a writer, possibly as a result of being forced to study it from junior school onwards in Scotland. In a similar vein, some of my old school chums from Essex haven't opened Shakespeare since leaving sixth form, claiming that the teaching drove it out of them! By the way, I wonder just how many guns and claymores Rob Roy McGregor actually owned?

Richard, I shouldn't worry about the timing of the beer consumption- the Sun is bound to be over the yard-arm somewhere in the world!

Dave(TG), the weather has been fairly kind to you on the constitutional, helping to allow such lovely images and I love the couple of 'pit stops' you made en-route. I assume 'Is' still manages to handle the chemo side effects with that wonderful stoicism she shows?

Duncan, sorry to hear that your day went so 'pear shaped' but doubtless you were cheered, as I certainly am, with the news of mum's release. I agree that it is going to seem strange and at times difficult for her, but I'm sure the character she has demonstrated throughout will see her through. Hope you manage to get a little rest over the weekend.

Neil(NHN), I think we can simply say 'proven m'lud!! Added to this, I actually knew someone (sadly no longer with us!) who was tasked by NASA with examining a piece of 'rock' from the Moon's surface for magnetic properties! It certainly wasn't like any material he had worked with throughout a lengthy an distinguished career.

Dick, Cancale truly is a lovely place as is well shown in your photographs. I'm sure Rick Stein feels the close affinity with Cornwall which I have felt on every visit to Brittany (even if their Mont St, Michel is bigger than ours Ha Ha!). Did Mrs Smiffy enjoy the experience? I am sadly tempted to ask if any of the oysters worked? (Before the usual suspects say it!). Hope the rest of your break goes well.

John(CB), that truly is bad luck with modern tyres what make of car and tyre do you have, and how old and roughly what mileage had they covered? Armed with this information I might just be able to offer some useful advice, although I won't make rash promises in view of the amount of Oramorph I've had to swallow over the last few days!

Into the weekend now as I was typing this - I hope it goes well for one and all, and it would be nice if we can get through it without any more illness or damage reports. The highlight for us is that No1 son is visiting for lunch on Sunday, oh and of course the Russian GP and MotoGP for two wheels from Japan!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

PS Mike(SM), hope the Farnham show goes well, and best wishes to anyone else at shows this weekend! J.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 16