The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I always preferred 30ips..................but then I didn’t have to pay for it....

Best, Pete.

That was about the fast forward speed on my old Stellaphone RTR machine

• Like 1

Collected the new car today. After about twenty minutes I had to ask the sales manager to stop demonstrating all the buttons and menus as I was on information overload. I will get the handbook out and study at my leisure. 70mpg coming home.

Early mist has gone but still overcast.

Hope you are feeling better Jock.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Ouch, Sherry.

Don't worry though, the photographer will be able to do wonders with photoshop.

Slip them an extra tenner and the might be able to make Ian presentable too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Lots to catch up on today, and sorry to hear of the latest round of sickies reporting, in the personae of Geoff's Kath, and Dominik.  Hope recovery is speedy for both, but Geoff, if this bug is the same one that's going the rounds here, it is quite ferocious, and can leave one feeling very debilitated. 

Sherry, that's one h*ll of a bruise collection, and I sincerely hope that it abates a lot before your big day.  I've no doubt that you'll be radiant anyway, whether still bruised or not.  You've a few weeks for it all to abate, though. 

Jock - great news on the chemo - I guess that's probably some sort of medical record, as I recall some time ago that you said that you were expected only to get a benefit for a few months (or am I wrong there) - also hope that the Oromorph is kicking in as needed and allowing you some respite.  It'll be worth it once the nerve damage heals, I'm sure.

Jo - nice to see you posting here and long may you stay with us.

Anybody know where Tex has got to?  A week without a post, but he did say his Internet service was pretty carp, so hopefully it's an outage.

I was an ER this morning, but the computer was in use for other tasks first, then I had a load of paperwork to catch up on before starting on the leisure/pleasure side of the day.  Still, it has cleared the weekend for us.  Managed a walk outside of once round the block in the fatchy pog - and it was dank as well.  Managed a few steps on one crutch in the street as well, which is a bit more progress, and YAY - have managed to devise a method of getting into the shower without doing any damage. 

Argos blinds = nightmare.  I have one that is squeezed up in the bathroom, and I hope it never comes down, as I too followed the cutting instructions, and resulted in it being a couple of mm too large, but with a bit of pushing and shoving....

I'll try top pop back later. 

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Ouch, Sherry.

Don't worry though, the photographer will be able to do wonders with photoshop.

Slip them an extra tenner and the might be able to make Ian presentable too.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. "No hope there even with all the resources of Photoshop & Lightroom combined."

Bloomin' sauce!

Ouch! Sherry, speedy recovery.

Glad to hear your news, Jock!

Another cracking day here (as Mike 60860 mentioned above), I think this is the best week of the year - we had nothing as good as this over the summer. Great for short walks onto Arthur's Seat or along the front at Portobello.

Some good news with a cloud on the horizon - my recovery is providing apace, all going well, the wound is healing very well and I have more energy every day.

The cloud on the horizon is that I start chemotherapy in a fortnight with 8 three-week long sessions planned - day one of each three week segment is a trip to the hospital for an intravenous drug followed by two weeks of taking an oral drug followed by a week off. Side effects are peripheral neuritis (numbing of finger and toes) which is also affected by cold - been told to beware of fridges - and possible sunburning of hands and feet. Nausea may be an issue, but hair loss is not usual with this particular cocktail. My immune system is also weakened during the treatment. The initial cancer started in my appendix and spread to the large colon; pathology discovered cancer cells in 6 of the 23 lymph nodes that were removed, hence the treatment. Hopefully this will zap the renegade cancer cells before they start to do more damage. Positivity!

Meanwhile, here's hoping that England can do the biz against Australia (sorry, Rick!) - all my Scottish pals want England to win, too, because it's good to have home nations get through the group stages - and we all want to see an England/Scotland game! Hoping that Scotland can beat the Springboks, too, but that could be a tough ask.

Wherever you are, hope your weekends are fab!

Mal

Mal - ginger biscuits may help reduce nausea. And if you don't suffer any they are quite nice anyway! Hope it all goes well with minimal discomfort.

I found a particularly good type in Lidl the other day - 2 boxes of Furniss ginger biscuits (1 plain, one with chocolate chips) plus 40 Cornish tea bags for the princely sum of £1. Definitely recommended!
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The cloud on the horizon is that I start chemotherapy in a fortnight with 8 three-week long sessions planned - day one of each three week segment is a trip to the hospital for an intravenous drug followed by two weeks of taking an oral drug followed by a week off. Side effects are peripheral neuritis (numbing of finger and toes) which is also affected by cold - been told to beware of fridges - and possible sunburning of hands and feet. Nausea may be an issue, but hair loss is not usual with this particular cocktail. My immune system is also weakened during the treatment. The initial cancer started in my appendix and spread to the large colon; pathology discovered cancer cells in 6 of the 23 lymph nodes that were removed, hence the treatment. Hopefully this will zap the renegade cancer cells before they start to do more damage. Positivity!

Indeed, Mal positivity - Jock is a shining example of that for us all to follow.  As is Dave's Is.  Wishing you well for the treatment, and of course for you keeping us all posted on progress, and if you need to have a moan, as you know, we have very broad shoulders in ERs.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again, guys! Had it checked up and it is just a strained set of muscles. Got a prescription for large calibre ibuprofen, so we'll see how this'll help.

With food, Dom, with food, I can verify that this is the only way to take industrial strength Ibuprofen. 

• RMweb Premium

And please don't think I was being callous in not mentioning events in the USA, but I am still mulling over my views on this one, and on what the answer might be.

And, for those on the Eastern Seaboard, I believe that hurricane Joaquim is now tracking a bit to the South of its original predicted track, and may well miss some of the areas which it was forecast to affect, and may now track into the Atlantic, and wind up over here as a spent tropical storm - hope that this is so for you all.

• Like 10

- all my Scottish pals want England to win, too,

I can't think of the last time I read this particular phrase.

Even when following the Lions on tour there was considerable animosity to the English; taking it in turns to sing the traditional home nations songs and Flower of Scotland, when it came to singing an England song it was a case of "You can stick your f***ing chariot up yer a*se"

So it makes a nice change.

Although it possible also means that they fancy their chances more against England!

And on a more important note, I hope the chemo goes well and the side effects are limited.

• Like 2

Looks like Hurricane Joaquin will miss here, Ian. However I’ve just read warnings for S. Carolina and Charleston in particular and they are expecting  18” (yep 1’ 6”) of rain between now and Sunday noontime. Where are they going to put that?

Typical “Met Speak” - they advise people to seek higher ground if the rain comes down heavily and then in the next sentence say that roads will probably be impassible.....

There’s no high ground for a hundred miles!

I love Charleston too.....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Mal - ginger biscuits may help reduce nausea. And if you don't suffer any they are quite nice anyway! Hope it all goes well with minimal discomfort.

I found American Ginger Ale to be good too - though taking both may turn you ginger....

Best, Pete.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Lemme see...

Dom - ouch! Please be careful out there, hoping you heal quickly.

I'm sure it'll be fine in a few days, Ian. Taking things slow over this slightly extended weekend (but not avoiding putting any weight on the foot at all) and aiding the healing process with medication should be the most reasonable way to go. Phoned my team leader after my first A&E session as well, who took down details of the incident as well so that the company insurance will have everything on record, and who fully endorsed my reasoning that there's no point in driving while hurt and possibly committing serious errors while in pain.

Dinner tonight will be squash au gratin with a minced meat and veg filling, good food certainly being remedial as well!

• Like 14

I do like squirrels! Even the grey ones. When we were in Calgary I noticed quite a few black squirrels. Recently I noticed a really dark grey almost black squirrel in our garden, well to be accurate in the leylandii bordering our garden. Long term contributors to this thread will be p!eased to hear that only two of the dreaded leylandii remain!

I have to say that my favorite North American mammal is the humble Chipmunk. I’m not surprised that they are now sale as pets in Europe.

They drive my Westie, Maysie crazy. We must have about 20 living in our backyard. The one that drives the dog wild lives under the back step of our garage. It has several entrance and exit holes scattered  around and frequented will pop out the other side of our fence and “chitter” at the dog whilst prancing around with its tail vertical. Other times it will dart up the inside of our gutter system.

http://coolpcwallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Animal-Chipmunk-HD-Wallpaper-1920x1200.jpg

Poor Sherry! You’re lucky the old Bill didn’t haul you away too on “Sus”!

I do hope  your eye gets better soon - what timing!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Ginger ale, Indian Tonic water, have proved very effective during my years of nausea. As I reduced my medication recently I had a lot of nausea but I noticed the other day it wasn't there which was nice. Even the odd itching (it feels like abrasive wires being pulled through blood vessels in arms and legs has gone too. It appears that stopping this particular medication has worked well this time, one of the advantages of being old is that less immunosuppression is needed.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15