The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Richard...ah yes, why don't they?

It turns out that the "mail box", whilst PAID FOR AND INSTALLED by myself, and bearing no official markings WHATSOEVER, since it can be any box/can or other receptacle you care to provide/create, is the sole property in terms us usage, of the US Mail apparently. It is a crime (not sure exactly what level, but given the "federal" nature of the US Postal Service, possibly even a felony?!?!?!) to use it for ANYTHING other than items delivered by or being picked-up by the US Postal service!

Totally stupid I know, but "...them's the facts Jack..."!

So ANYTHING delivered by other providers is placed on the deck, steps, in the grass, bushes or any other available location they feel inclined to throw/drop/place it at :jester:  :butcher:  :triniti: Go figure!

That's also why the items delivered are subject to any and all manner of weather and other unnecessary abuse. If the weather is "inclement" they at least place the paper in a plastic bag, MOST OF THE TIME!

How about a second box marked newspapers only?  Or would that totally confuse the mail man?

I do recall on a trip state side some years back when I asked for four ounces of cooked ham.

I was told that they didn't do ounces, but only sold units of a pound!

So I then I asked for a quarter of a pound.....but that didn't work either.

In the end I had to ask for .25 of a pound!

I think the poor lad was very confused by the time we left the shop (store).

• RMweb Premium

How about a second box marked newspapers only?  Or would that totally confuse the mail man?

I do recall on a trip state side some years back when I asked for four ounces of cooked ham.

I was told that they didn't do ounces, but only sold units of a pound!

So I then I asked for a quarter of a pound.....but that didn't work either.

In the end I had to ask for .25 of a pound!

I think the poor lad was very confused by the time we left the shop (store).

The word fortnight usually has our transatlantic cousins all confused as well.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The word fortnight usually has our transatlantic cousins all confused as well.

Jamie

I suppose we are aware of American usage due to the amount of US media products we have available. When I first went to the US we stayed in Boston. Visually it didn't in anyway feel odd as I had seen so many films or TV shows about US Cities. What I did notice was that it was extremely hot and humid and that television and cinema doesn't prepare you for the different smells of a city. Lots of fast food stands gave an interesting scent!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I suppose we are aware of American usage due to the amount of US media products we have available. When I first went to the US we stayed in Boston. Visually it didn't in anyway feel odd as I had seen so many films or TV shows about US Cities. What I did notice was that it was extremely hot and humid and that television and cinema doesn't prepare you for the different smells of a city. Lots of fast food stands gave an interesting scent!

At least Boston has a faintly English accent.

Passed through on work over 20 years ago and spent a couple of days on holiday there about 20 years ago.

It's on my list of "places to re-visit"

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

Yep, "in general" city blocks are 1/10th mile. That's why, especially when I lived in Manhattan, you knew exactly how far you'd walked/ridden :)

Somewhat less consistent outside the cities though. Sometimes they are sometimes they aren't :O

Only in a west / east Street orientation, if you walk down (or up the Avenues) then the blocks in Manhattan are longer i.e. most of the borough does not have square blocks.

Street numbers are not as long as they seem (outside of Broadway or Sunset Blvd). If you have a number in a township of say, 2523 Blah Ave - it does not mean there are 2,523 houses in it. 25 would be the number of the Street then your house would 23. They tend to alternate just as they do in the UK. Odds one side Even the other.

The State closest to the English accent is actually North Carolina. It is changing rapidly but some coastal sections speak an English that Shakespeare would understand easily, parts of the Blue Ridge Mountain areas sound very west country to me.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

Evening all,

Still extremely tired tonight, despite forty winks late morning, but considerably heartened by the news that grandson Matthew came home this afternoon where he will be visited daily by a district nurse. Nursing sister daughter (his mum) will also be on hand as the NHS have allowed her compassionate leave. Can't believe the speed at which patients recover these days, especially following what must be one of the biggest operations you could have - recent advances in surgical technique are simply awesome.

Stewart, sorry to hear about the pain control issues - oddly mine too seemed a bit worse today but our nursing sister daughter assured me that this isn't uncommon - the radiotherapy kills off nerves at the site of the tumour, and in doing so, some good nerve tissue is also damaged. Over time, these 'good nerves' repair themselves and that's when they cry ouch!! Perhaps the same applies to the nerves cut during surgery such as you just had? Hopefully it won't last too long! Thanks for clarifying the Google image, although they don't do the little packages of cholesterol I enquired about, it looked like a spotless and well laid out shop. When they did our cul-de-sac on Street View, they caught Joanna in the doorway, resplendent in her pyjamas, as she paid the window cleaner. You might guess that our family and friends enjoyed poking fun at her!

Pete(pH), thanks for the superb image of the 'blood moon' with a train in the frame - a clever shot indeed.

Belated Many Happy Returns to Mrs Baz and Mrs GDB - let's hope for many more to come for both!

BoD, Good news on the eye front - Joanna has her similar test for pressure behind the eyes next Monday afternoon. Annoyingly, it has to be done at the old Victorian Essex County Hospital in Colchester, as they don't have the relevant machine here in Clacton. The timing should see us leave at the height of rush hour.

Flávio, we will be thinking of you tomorrow, and wish you well with the interview if it is a post you would really like.

Richard, hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip - do Hippos have to pay extra baggage?

Dave(TG), further good news about 'Is' if she is fit enough to visit that lovely outdoor restaurant - what an admirable and courageous lady she is!!. We sometimes risk what the locals call fish and chips here (We are spoiled by having experienced award winning products of chip shops in Cornwall and Scotland), and drive up on to Clacton sea front to eat them - sadly our view is a grey flat expanse of North Sea, broken only by the mass of offshore wind turbines on the Gunfleet Sands wind farm.

Duncan, more good news about mum - it must have been a terribly worrying time for you, being away so much with work. Let's hope she is able to Become independent again soon.

Neil(NHN), I'm afraid I misread your post at first, thinking that the 'daughter' was indeed a young offender! It was only when I wondered how she would qualify for the new post, that the penny dropped! It must be really upsetting to watch the deterioration of your your old team - doubtless you still get your ear bent by some of your old staff!

The 'hump' will be with us at any minute, so I'm going to try to sleep now, but first I must wish our invalids further improvement, and a good rest of the week to all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 13

Pete(trisonic), for some reason, I revisited page 2963 of ERs when Joanna was out late morning and noticed a post by you with a link to Syd Barratt singing 'Bike' on YouTube. Just had to play it again, and when it ended - there was a further link to a YouTube video of Pink Floyd performing the tribute to Syd, written by Gilmour, Waters and Wright, and titled 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'. That led to Dave Gilmour performing 'Comfortably Numb', and subsequently to an all acoustic (unplugged) version of 'Wish You Were Here'. I'd forgotten just how good an artist Mr Gilmour is, and it took quite a lot of explaining to Joanna where the missing hour or so went!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

• Like 15

Pete(trisonic), for some reason, I revisited page 2963 of ERs when Joanna was out late morning and noticed a post by you with a link to Syd Barratt singing 'Bike' on YouTube. Just had to play it again, and when it ended - there was a further link to a YouTube video of Pink Floyd performing the tribute to Syd, written by Gilmour, Waters and Wright, and titled 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'. That led to Dave Gilmour performing 'Comfortably Numb', and subsequently to an all acoustic (unplugged) version of 'Wish You Were Here'. I'd forgotten just how good an artist Mr Gilmour is, and it took quite a lot of explaining to Joanna where the missing hour or so went!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

Jock, if you like Floyd, reggae and bagpipes listen to this.

LE

• Like 6

Only in a west / east Street orientation, if you walk down (or up the Avenues) then the blocks in Manhattan are longer i.e. most of the borough does not have square blocks.

Street numbers are not as long as they seem (outside of Broadway or Sunset Blvd). If you have a number in a township of say, 2523 Blah Ave - it does not mean there are 2,523 houses in it. 25 would be the number of the Street then your house would 23. They tend to alternate just as they do in the UK. Odds one side Even the other.

Pete, indeed, and agreed. I decided not to get even MORE wordy and rambling than I'd been already so far today as I seemed to be using an ever increasing amount of the available internet bandwidth for a very meaningless discussion in the grand scheme of things. I figured I'd save everyone from the abject boredom :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 10

Morning all. Lots of coffee needed this morning. For some reason I'm having great difficulties re-adjusting to working times this week.

Jock - Excellent news about Matthew. I hope that your pain issues are resolved quickly.

Flávio - I hope that the interview goes well.

Richard - Enjoy your trip.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 2

Pete, indeed, and agreed. I decided not to get even MORE wordy and rambling than I'd been already so far today as I seemed to be using an ever increasing amount of the available internet bandwidth for a very meaningless discussion in the grand scheme of things. I figured I'd save everyone from the abject boredom :)

We live on West Sanders Road, but there does not seem to be an East Sanders Road.

Here we are

post-25691-0-60038200-1443588526_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Her indoors off swimming.

Youngest Herbert was very late getting to London yesterday so it seems verging on the ridiculous east coast is continuing the downhill spiral of service. Shame GNER had to pack in!

A bit of parcel preparation, a trip to post it then more painting.

It seems that quick drying gloss paint no longer dries gloss. I have two big pots of it and neither is any good. Oh well..

Have a great Wednesday wherever you are.

Baz

Morning all,

It is another reasonable morning here.  Nice and clear, but decidedly chilly.  Autumn is definitely on the way - but it is nice to see the sun (or the moon, as was the case on my way into the office this morning).

Happy Hump day everyone!  Have a good one...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

We live on West Sanders Road, but there does not seem to be an East Sanders Road.

Here we are

Maybe they have yet to build it!

Morning from a sunny Surry.

Trains running OK so far touch plastic. However all the ticket machines across Southern are down so big queues in the ticket office.

Good job that we don't have to collect any prepaid tickets. We had the Caledonian sleeper tickets posted to us for our trip in a few weeks talking of which there has been a freight derailment at Broughty a Ferry so the sleeper is terminating at Edinburgh where they are bussing sleeper passengers all the way to Aberdeen despite Scotrail running trains as far as Dundee. I suppose this is due to them both being different operators now.

Last night I collected the Windows 7 disc from Argos ( click and collect off EBay). The big laptop wouldn't let me do a straight up grade so it was a fresh install whilst I worked on Dobris station building Windows.

By about 11pm the laptop was running fine with just a few drivers left to add. Still plenty more Windows to sort out on the building though.

Glad it's hump day. Just a few days to go before we take Banbury to Folkestone.

• Like 2