The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Considering where he was a week ago, this is a miracle.

That's lovely, Gordon, I'm so pleased to see how Archie has progressed.

Miracles are Fitzpatricks' stock in trade, the impossible takes just a little longer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

....and on that cheery note, I'll bid you nighty night as I have another early one - sadly without a nightcap. 

Another of the hospital prescibed medications has finished, and has made me just a little easier all round, as I was on a stiff dose of Iron Sulphate for a couple of weeks, due to blood loss during surgery - not enough for a transfusion, but enough to make my regularity a little but less than it was. 

Nighty night all especially iL Dottore, Shedman5, pH, jamie92208, Happy Hippo, southern42 who are all lurking at present.

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  Went the day well, all objectives achieved so far.   Good morning at church then after lunch off to Halifax and an enjoyable time at the show.  Outlaws arrived and were duly fed, clearing up all done then back up to church to unload some lighting rig parts, now sitting watching the gogglebox.

Glad to hear that Stewart is out and about and nice to see some video of Archie.  

As to avoiding alcohol Beth had it down to a fine art.  At one point she spent 4 months in hospital having lost the use of her legs.  One of the wards allowed me to take her out to a masonic dinner that her father had invited us to.  I wheeled her up to a nearby salon for a hairdo and then collected her in a wheelchair taxi. She was warned very strictly only to have one glass of wine.  She was duly returned several hours later and one of the nurses helping her back to bed  sensed that she was a little more unsteady than usual and said.   "How many glasses did you have?" to which Beth replied with a straight face,  "Only one but they kept filling it up.".

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening

A busy day has been had at Groudle, it was the last day of the season, I was guard.  Alex posted on faceache what is possibly the worst photo of myself I have ever seen, the rotter!

Mopping out the rolling stock before service....ugh.

post-10195-0-14143500-1443384882_thumb.jpg

We had a great day, very busy, and glorious weather, simply perfect.

• Like 19

Evening all,

A most pleasant day, got a lot done. One of today's highlights was watching One Man and His Dog on Countryfile. It was an utter delight to watch man and beast work in harmony (although the black Welsh sheep were contrary bu99ers). Why such a long running show (it started in 1976 and continued as a stand alone show until 2013) has to be cancelled and then resurrected as a "segment" of another programme, I have no idea. Perhaps not PC enough for the BBC? Not enough downtrodden minorities? No socially relevant story lines? I don't know.

When the sheepdog trials began, Schotty - who is part Border Collie - pricked up his ears at the sound of the whistles and the commands, but he soon lost interest. My entreaties to him to "watch and learn" as he too is a "working dog" (sic, supposedly) fell on deaf ears. The dowager duchess (Lucy), just ignored the whole shebang. I believe that she thinks "working" is beneath her....

Saw the first and second episodes of the new Dr Who season today, still a "bit silly" but a much better and more believable story line than some of them in the last season. However, somehow I doubt that it's the end of the Daleks.... (this story had an interesting philosophical dilemma at its' heart: if you could go back in time to when Hitler, Stalin, Genghis Khan, etc were children, would you [could you?] kill that child to save millions of innocent lives [or do you believe that someone like Hitler and Stalin were the products of their times and that killing Hitler as child would see the rise of the Nazi Party and WWII with someone equally evil and deranged in power])

Anyway, g'night all.

iD

• Like 11

.... (this story had an interesting philosophical dilemma at its' heart: if you could go back in time to when Hitler, Stalin, Genghis Khan, etc were children, would you [could you?] kill that child to save millions of innocent lives [or do you believe that someone like Hitler and Stalin were the products of their times and that killing Hitler as child would see the rise of the Nazi Party and WWII with someone equally evil and deranged in power])

Have you read "Making History" by Stephen Fry? If not, it sounds as if you might like it.

Any antique experts among us?

This is, I believe, a chifoneer. It's been in Lorna's family for ages and I think it's at least 150 years old. We believe it originally came from the West Indies (one of Lorna's ancestors won a lot of money in a card game in Monte Carlo and bought a sugar plantation with the proceeds!)

After that it was in Bexhill and Paisley for a while before returning to the other side of the Atlantic. As you can see, it's a bit beaten-up and warped. We don't really have a place for it, so we are thinking of selling it.

Is it worth getting an appraisal, or should it go to the consignment furniture place?

post-25691-0-63573500-1443383468_thumb.jpg

Of course, Shona had to get in on the act.

post-25691-0-07227600-1443383484_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I was relaxed and my batteries were recharged. Then I drove home

I don't have any problems with roadworks or holdups, but, what does wind me up is when total cockwombles ignore lane closure signs on not 1, not 2 but 3 motorway overhead gantries and then get upset when I don't feel like letting them into the queue of traffic.

Gordon - Great to see Archie recovering

Stewart - Excellent to hear that you're out and about

Dave - Good to hear that Is is coping well

iL Dottore - I have to agree with you about One Man and His Dog on Countryfile. I always enjoy seeing working dogs work to such a high standard.

• Like 3

Any antique experts among us?

This is, I believe, a chifoneer. It's been in Lorna's family for ages and I think it's at least 150 years old. We believe it originally came from the West Indies (one of Lorna's ancestors won a lot of money in a card game in Monte Carlo and bought a sugar plantation with the proceeds!)

After that it was in Bexhill and Paisley for a while before returning to the other side of the Atlantic. As you can see, it's a bit beaten-up and warped. We don't really have a place for it, so we are thinking of selling it.

Is it worth getting an appraisal, or should it go to the consignment furniture place?

attachicon.gifDSCN2176.JPG

Of course, Shona had to get in on the act.

attachicon.gifDSCN2171.JPG

Have you checked for any secret compartments in it Andy?  

Evening all. Once again I have lost track of ER and so I will have to give out the generic congratulations and commiserations as required. In teacher speak I really must try harder to keep up. Mind you I may well face detention myself as I think I have managed to upset our esteemed RMWeb leader this weekend. Maybe I should not have criticised a reputable model railway retailer on these pages - but after receiving rubbish service and a less than favourable outcome I took to the pages of a certain thread to have a good old moan!

Here our old cat is back on the antibiotics. The nasal discharge has returned and he thinks it may be a polyp. The vet has offered to put her under anaesthetic and try to flush out the nostril - but at the ripe old age of 20 such an action carries a risk. Sarah (whose cat it actually is) is unwilling to take such action at present.

On the subject of cats we now have 4! The in-laws cat has come to stay whilst they holiday in America for a fortnight. He hasn't stopped being grumpy yet!

On Friday the first "leadership" payslip landed. Not sure the finances actual match the increase in workload (which is one reason I have been off here recently). I did not expect that a small promotion was going to lead to untold riches though!

Hope all is well with everyone and I will try to keep up with events more - promise!

Edited by andyram

• RMweb Premium

A call from Junior at Uni today.

"Can I have your Paypal login please?"

"What for?"

"To pay for my laundry card......"

Taken a little by surprise as she's only been there one week and is thinking about doing some laundry................................

I may have to set up another paypal account with her bank details.

Have a good week folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well a good lunch was had by all although my pork was not really as tender as it could have been.  And just as importantly it was followed by a trip to the on-site farm shop where a  black pudding was purchased (a whole one) and laddo bought himself a sort of presentation pack of 4 Oxford Brewery beers.  The pigs were duly visited and spoken to nicely to help ensure future supplies of sausages and pork.  A nice sight in the car park which might well appear on these pages tomorrow as I duly took some phots because not only was it stationary but it was the first one I'd seen for quite a while and it was in superb condition - the answer to that mystery will be revealed tomorrow but it was the version with the big engine.

G'night all

• Like 17

Evening/Morning all,

Geoff, I think that the inhaler problem needs addressing urgently - it must be very distressing for you!

Flávio, thanks for the kind words. On the subject of analgesics and alcohol, I've been on morphine (both oral solution and mst tablets) for around two and a half years now and I've continued to enjoy a couple of glasses of my favourite red wine with dinner most days, as well as a small shot of 'nightcap of the day' before sleep most nights. I also have an occasional cider or beer if attempting to cut the grass or the like, though none of this imbibing comes close to what was admittedly a routine 'heavy' consumption before my diagnosis! I have actually had to enter into a dialogue with 'Laithwaites' the wine shippers as to why my orders have dried up!! I haven't noticed any adverse effect from mixing the two, and my oncologist seems unperturbed by my current regime. Hope your knee is fully recovered soon and it was a pleasant surprise to hear that, as well as all the subjects you excel at, you also enjoy playing guitar.

Gordon, that is amazing footage of the recovering Archie - what a brave little soldier! Does the vet feel that he will eventually recover full mobility?

Neil(NHN), great to hear that you had such a good if busy day at Groudle Glen - the last image puts a new slant on the phrase 'bringing up the rear'!

I must admit that I'm surprised that I haven't had any comment over my mention of an alternative Burns poem for AndyID- I am guilty however of forgetting the time zone difference!

Andy(ram), that is a lovely image. It is nice that Sarah indulges your love of railways and shares in your enjoyment of beer.

I'm off to get a little sleep now, as I have the alarms set for 3am in the hope that I'll be able to see the 'super moon' - I missed the last one in 1982 due to local weather conditions, and sadly, I'm unlikely to be alive for the next one in 2033. For the uninitiated, this astronomical phenomenon only occurs when there is a lunar eclipse whilst the moon is at perigee (closest point to Earth in its orbit), only 226000 miles away. The red colouration that often happens is caused by the Sun's rays passing through Earths atmosphere before falling on the Moon's surface. For centuries, this has been seen as a bad omen, so don't be surprised if some of our more 'loonie' religions claim that the end of the world is nigh!

Good luck to all our commuters later, and continued good health to those on the mend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, thanks Jock for explaining what happens in a lunar eclipse as I was just about to explain it myself. Just to add that the red colouring is because of the different wavelengths of the colour spectrum. This is what also gives us red sunsets/sunrises as the light from the sun has to travel further through the atmosphere and the 'red' appearance of the moon is the light diffused by Earths atmosphere. This is also why the sky is blue when the sun is higher in the sky, blue being at the other end of the spectrum. On very rare occasions  the same thing can make the moon appear blue, hence the term 'Once in a blue moon'.

• Like 7

New batteries in my camera ready for the loony 'clips. . . it's only a bridge camera but I suppose it'll do. . . . Never took a shot of a bridge with it. . . sorry!!!!!!!!!

So,  it's not time for bed as I'm staying up a while longer, but I'll say . . . 

Goodnight everyone . . . . Sleep well

John

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Trying to keep myself awake before this weeks run of nights. Nice to find a thread that has some activity at this time!

Match sticks, naff TV and a brew seem to be the order of the night, might have a peek out the window at the moon in a bit

Jo

• Like 10